Jason's Deli Reviews

Reset

1. great job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Jason's Deli full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, great food

Cons

Long hours, but to be expected

Advice to Management

Customer driven

2. Volunteer Management

Former Employee - Tennessee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Tennessee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jason's Deli

Pros

This was a great franchise to work for. The owner had a genuine care for his managers and staff like no other owner I have ever worked for.

Cons

I have no cons to report about this company. They are fair and have a great philosophy of servant leadership that is matched by none.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I wish you nothing but the best of success in every aspect of your work, families and health.

3. They really are what they say they are

Current Employee - 2A Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - 2A Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Jason's Deli full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jason's really is a great company. They invest in leadership training, benefits are competitive for the industry, 2 days off in a row every week, at least one weekend off a month and vacation at 6 months.

Cons

It's a restaurant job and the stores are busy. You work hard for your entire shift. Promotions are very competitive. If you don't push 100% of the time it is easy to get passed over.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! I would say the first few weeks of MIT are REALLY hard to adjust, even from other restaurant work and maybe a little clearer instruction would be helpful.

5. "Great Place to Work"...not so much

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Jason's Deli full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Tuition reimbursement. Family fund. The first few years I worked for the company, there would have been more pros. Before change in upper management I would have added belief in core values , respect of team members. Value employees.

Cons

Expectations are extremely high for this type of environment and extremely underpaid. Core Values are non existent. Extremely underpaid for the expectations when comparing to similar concepts. Lack of training across the board. A ton of politics and favoritism. Numerous unresolved HR issues.

Advice to Management

The integrity of the company I started working for many moons ago is simply unrecognizable now. Take care of your staff with the same respect and love you have for your guests. Hold management accountable. Too many managers want to change the rules. They make up thier own standards and policies instead of following the proper procedures. HR is a joke. There is no real place for eemployees to voice concerns without fear of retaliation in the workplace.

6. No Opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jason's Deli full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy Job. Its O.K. if you want to have just a job and not a career

Cons

No growth. They tell you it is up to you but you apply yourself and only get so far and will most likely not get to being a GM.

Advice to Management

Once you make it to be able to bonus they calculate it in with your salary. Also when you are moved to another location your pay changes.

7. It's like riding a bike...

I have been working at Jason's Deli

Pros

Good benefits, salary is decent, no late nights, other than that, I can't really think of anything good to say.

Cons

Long hours, constantly being micro managed, over bearing pretentious GM, lack of teamwork, communication, and development, disregard for ideas, inappropriate comments about other managers/employees

Advice to Management

Ask for, and listen to hourly employee's and assisstant managers. When 85-90% of employees demeanor changes when the GM is present, that's an issue. Customers love her, and she does know her stuff, but her employee relational skills are horrible. Employees and assisstant managers are written up for "not following procedures", but when confronted with doing the same thing, being told "I was busy", is unacceptable. As for on the corporate level, the standardization process needs to be finished. Constantly changing how we are doing things is ridiculous. Example...discontinuing 9 grain bread and switching to whole wheat for a couple sandwiches (including changinging the menu to reflect this change), then after a couple months, asking delis to use 9 grain because there's a surplus still in JDD. All delis are not identical, all managers are not robots, but it seems like this standardization process is forcing us to become robotic in action. I feel like I have no opportunity to show any personality. Also, development for managers is non-existent...I'm given a task, but if I don't know how to complete, when I ask for help, I'm told search the drive. During manager meetings, we are constantly told what we are doing wrong, but very seldom do we hear anything positive. The GM has even thrown all us assistants under the bus in front of the DM, saying "when I'm not here, things don't get done". All in all, I don't believe JD as a whole is a bad place to work, but if they really do want to be the "best run restaurant...", there's lots of work to be done.

8. too much micromanaging

I have been working at Jason's Deli

Pros

Learn leadership skills Good foundation Had to add more words

Cons

Too much micromanagement Managers breathe down your neck Expect perfection without mistakes

9. Its decent

Current Employee - Delco and Make in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Delco and Make in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Jason's Deli part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been there for 3 and 1/2 years. It used to be a great place to work but new management is making working here undesirable. I have 2 bosses out of 5 that I respect. The actual job is fun. Once you get the swing of things, you actually look forward to coming to work everyday.

Cons

New management needs more training on coping with the stress of the job, and learning how to respect employees so that they get respect in return. Being firm and fair with employees is key. I would like them to try and be less of a friend and more of a leader.

Advice to Management

Train management more effectively on management skills, not just crew jobs. My new management has very poor skills at coping with stress. There have been many cussing matches between new management and employees. I am not okay with this. Also, there is no respect that goes on between new management and employees, creating a line in the sand between them. I love the management that has been there for many years because they treat everyone firmly but fairly. I respect the decisions they make and follow their instructions. New management; not so much.

10. management

I worked at Jason's Deli

Pros

Very structured with good benefits and generous salaries comparatively to other restaurants. They also offer a good work life balance and good manager training program

Cons

changing focus to win an award and making everything streamline and cookie cutter in a not cookie cutter environment. It is not the same company I originally started working for. Which is sad because they were great and now it seems they care less about the people who are actually working the stores and making them successful.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback from the field.

11. Slightly better

Former Employee - Delivery Driver/Catering/Busing/Prepping/Salad Bar in Cordova, TN

I worked at Jason's Deli full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great, it is nice to deliver so you can get some you time.

Cons

Did not use organic when they said they were, Too much side work found myself overworking and doing other peoples jobs.

Advice to Management

Hire less managers and more workers to do things like prepping food and busing, also prepping catering orders because there was someone over it but they didn't help prepare the orders all the way. I would be stuck there preparing multiple items late into the night and that was not what I signed up for.

RSS Feed </> Embed