Java City Reviews

Micheal Dugadamn

Fun experience while it lasted

Former Employee - Barista  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Java City part-time for less than a year

Pros

A pro while being employed at Java City were that they truly valued their customers, they understand that there is a lot of competition between coffee shops and they appreciate the business they are granted.

Cons

A personal complaint of Java City is that there were too many supervisors that were power hungry. No one wants to be bossed around. Also pay is LOW.

Just to communicate more efficiently with employees.

Co-Workers make it or break it!

I worked at Java City

Pros

Super fun, fast paced, great products. I loved who I worked with and I loved the environment. My manager was fabulous but she longer works there. I worked there for over two years and it was one of my favorite jobs.

Cons

This is more of a high school / college job. The pay is low and there isn't room to grow. Big gap between the store and upper management.

Come work in the store occasionally during the morning rush.

Good college job

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Java City part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's nice to be around and make coffee if you're a big coffee fan. Also, for all the bad things about management, they worked great around my schedule, which is why I stayed for a while. Coworkers can make it or break it. My fellow baristas were usually a lot of fun to work with. It's an easy job, for the most part. For the most part, the coffee, espresso, and beverages are really good.

Cons

Very low pay, dinky uniforms, store culture is more McDonald's than a coffee shop. Some of the monthly drinks were absolutely terrible, and we had to promote them. Location specific complaints were always running out of product, poor attitude and culture set by management, equipment constantly breaking, lots of rule changes that made so sense to us or customers. Terrible communication between management and employees.

If you don't like your job, move on to something else. Don't take that out on employees. Also, explain policy and procedure changes to us so we can relay them to customers. They usually don't make any sense to us and we can't ask questions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad

Current Employee - Baristaa  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Baristaa in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Java City part-time for more than a year

Pros

Simple, fast paced, fun coworkers, good coffee

Cons

Virtually no room for promotion

Every day I come into work I have a sick feeling in my stomach.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Java City part-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistent hours. Consistent paycheck. If you're looking for a first-job, not totally bad since working here leads to an appreciation of any job that you have after this one.

Cons

Bad management, unmaintained equipment, short of basic supplies and equipment especially cleaning equipment, unresolved pricing issues, management confuses "sales" with "profit" resulting in ill-advised sales.

Listen to employees advice. Take an interest in your employee's work.

Apathy

Current Employee - Warehouse  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Java City

Pros

Hard work. Great co workers. Easy to find. Well lit. Lots of work. Most weekends free. Free Coffee and Tea.

Cons

No matching on the 401k. Hardly any movement in the company. Nothing in the company is proactive. It takes a long time(4 yrs) to get any raises if at all, and then it's small. Most promises are undelivered or broken. Basically, as an employee, you will be forgotten about, treated like dirt, and asked to bend over backwards for upper management's bonuses. Any platitudes given are disingenuous. The company events are only held for those who work during normal business hours. If you don't like your schedule, you are told that you can look for another job. If you want more money, you can look for another job. If you want to work for Java City, make sure you work in a cubicle; otherwise, RUN. Great coffee, horrible employer.

Realize that your employees, not your customers should come first. If your employees' raises are frozen, then so should your bonuses. Rather than working overtime frequently, think of a better solution instead of working people harder for your shortcomings. When people ask for time off, don't berate them. If time off is available, say yes or no. Change is good; cross train your people. Spend more time on the floor working with your staff instead of playing golf in your office. Be appreciative of people who work their tail off for you and sacrifice their personal lives to work the crappy hours.

My experience was just a fairly neutral one.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Central, SC
    Former Employee - Barista in Central, SC

I worked at Java City

Pros

Enjoyed their products including their tea which was awesome!

Cons

Low pay for starters, I also became dissatisfied with some of the policy changes that took place at my location.

Strive for consistency and realize that positive thinking comes from the head down.

The job tasks and responsibilities at Java City allow one to grow and learn both as a person and with professionalism.

Current Employee - Cashier/Certified Coffee Barista
    Current Employee - Cashier/Certified Coffee Barista

I have been working at Java City

Pros

The co-workers make work fun. Their is great satisfaction in seeing the customers leave with a smile on their face.

Cons

Occasionally there are customers that no matter how correct the drink is made, they are never satisfied.

When the schedule is changed, there should be more of an effort to inform the employees of the changes made.

Nice company to work for.

I have been working at Java City

Pros

Excellent coffee, products and support for customers. Nice people from top to bottom. Great management who know the business and want to improve the brand.

Cons

Low brand recognition. Smaller size can limit opportunity for professional growth. Company really does not get credit for being one of the best in the coffee business.

N/A

Worked for Java City? Contribute to the Community!