Javelin Marketing Group

Updated October 16, 2014
2.9

Javelin Marketing Group CEO Pam Larrick
Pam Larrick

Great up and coming agency, tons of potential!

Current Employee - Art Director in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Art Director in Irving, TX

I have been working at Javelin Marketing Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, good people, family culture, everyone supports everyone else. Laid-back, fun, casual. The agency is only 10 years old, I think it is beginning to grow in a lot of good ways, I'm very excited to see what the years ahead bring. I read some really negative Glassdoor reviews of Javelin before going on an interview, but so far, I have not experienced any of the things called out specifically - I'm guessing the "bad apples" have since moved on.

Cons

Occasionally long hours, but typical of an ad agency. Some un-tapped potential. Process is thorough and consistent but feels a little outdated, it could use refinement.

More communication of goals and overall strategy to the creative department would be good. Recruit and keep good people - let go of or re-assign under-performing people.

DM FTW!

Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Javelin Marketing Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm excited to work at a place that embraces the power of Direct Mail. It creates results and that is what matters!

Cons

We have had leaders come through who wanted to turn us into more of a traditional agency but luckily they didn't last.

Stay the course! Don't let anyone make you feel like direct mail is something to be ashamed of!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Javelin Marketing Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intelligent, hard-working, professional environment. In a GREAT transition period with new talent and department leadership.

Cons

Employees who have been at agency for over 3 years do not seem as motivated to push.

Continue to inspire your staff and provide opportunities for EVERYONE (not just creative) to push their talents.

Javelin Great, people not

I worked at Javelin Marketing Group

Pros

The company in itself is great. They have great hours, they are flexible, offer great perks, etc.

Cons

The people there are very judgmental. You are either in or you are out. If they don't like you, even on a personal level then kiss your job goodbye. Not collaborative and not open to anything outside of their click. Very much like high school, at least in my department.

Use Javelin, don't let it use you.

I worked at Javelin Marketing Group

Pros

The company does for the most part pay market wages and the benefit packages is actually pretty good. Also there is a generous holiday and vacation plan.

Cons

There is much I can say about Javelin Marketing group, but it is so over the top and crazy, that it would violate the Glassdoor.com community guidelines and no one would ever see it. Or, if it did manage to get posted, it is so bizarre, you probably wouldn't believe it.

To get a feel of JMG you just need to know what the average employee tenure is. It is very short. In fact, if you make it there more than two years, you are an old timer. There are many reasons for that, but like I said, I really can't say what they are in much detail.

I can say this, however. If you are offered job at Javelin and it is a significant promotion, absolutely take it. Or, if you are out of work and need to find something quick, absolutely take it. If, or when, you take the job at Javelin, be sure to play the odds. The chances are you will not be very long, so you use Javelin to find something better. By better, I mean something with more security or something that pays more or is a better fit for you.
    If you have a good job that you like, but think the 'grass is greener' at Javelin, I can pretty much guarantee you it is not.

It is entirely possible that you can start working at JMG and have a long 20 year career there, but it just isn't likely. It just doesn't happen very often there.

Half and Half

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Javelin Marketing Group full-time

Pros

Most team members are very friendly and eager to help. Newly renovated work place is very cool. It is nice and bright. The new atmosphere can make you feel excited to come to work.

Cons

People who work less than 8 hours per day and are not easy to work with get promoted over the hard workers. The newly renovated place is great but can be fairly noisy which makes it hard to work sometimes.

Figure out who your most valuable and dedicated employees are before they all leave. Try rewarding them for their hard work, rather than the slackers.

Learned a lot

I have been working at Javelin Marketing Group

Pros

Very good internal training in quantitative skills

Cons

Less career advancement,
    Work environment is just-so-so

Great people and great environment.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Javelin Marketing Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Javelin makes you feel like you are at home. All team members are friendly and care about each other. The office has been completely renovated and is open and beautiful. It is a place where you can be excited to work.

Cons

Some teams are very unwilling to change any process, even if the change will benefit the client. Some teams experience frequent turnover, while others have been there 7+ years. There does not seem to be a middle.

Up and coming!

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Javelin Marketing Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Javelin is a place that is completely starting over from head to toe. I understand its hard to change especially when you get in the groove of doing good work, but the industry is ever changing, and I think javelin is getting to the point where we don't rely on how things have always been done but if there is a new way to do it.

I love what the leadership here "wants" to accomplish. We haven't gotten there yet because the agency is currently evolving and expanding but we are on our way.

I feel like the Executive leadership here actually does care about the employees and how healthy they are body and mind. We just incorporated summer days for this year and I very much looking forward to those. They are also very passionate about expanding current employees skill sets with seminars and learning lunches.

Cons

Javelin is currently expanding but still understaffed.

While Javelin is evolving, they need to let go of old habits and now irrelevant ideals.

Talk and spend more time with employees, share what growth is going on more than once or twice a year. If you are passionate about growth and new things, your employes will be too.

New vibe at Javelin. Great to be winning!

I have been working at Javelin Marketing Group full-time

Pros

People. Clients. Winning business. Hiring amazing talent. Newly designed space.

Cons

Still a well-kept secret...need to promote ourselves and all we do.

Keep communicating, winning new business and promoting Javelin!

Javelin Marketing Group Photos