Jawbone

www.jawbone.com

Jawbone Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014
Jawbone – San Francisco – “Meetings on the Jawbone Roof deck.”

Hosain Rahman

Sr. Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWell designed products
    Bright engineers with lots of innovation
    Great benefits and balanced work environment

ConsGreat products, but company should find ways to improve marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more engineers and focus on releasing products earlier. Don't give up your audio products. They also hold great promise.

Unclear direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree food, Good vacation time, Flexible hours,

ConsPoor Leadership, decision making, too much politics

Advice to Senior ManagementClear direction is needed.

Top-down management style that hands out assignments rather than utilizes employee's brains.

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent environment to get exposed to in internal politics, to learn what not to do by example, and to see a demoralized employee base. The best thing that is unique to Jawbone is the employee discount on Jamboxes, and those discounts aren't even that great.

ConsLeadership, time off, equity compensation, influence on product, promotion by merit, communication, personal growth, professional growth, alcoholism, lack of meritocracy.

Seriously, this place is not good. Design reigns, with people who don't know what they are doing. Engineers (hardware and software) both leave regularly because the conditions are absurdly abusive. No one lets engineers problem solve. There are interesting products, but they can't shine because it's a culture that gives engineers tasks, telling them to go create things without thinking about them at all. When things fail, engineers get the blame. Why?

1. Design escapes any oversight because they didn't build the product and they have a strong political connection to leadership. Design supposedly has the biggest sway, controlling product (which makes the PMs angry). The team usually comes up with an idea, fully designs it with some notes to product, then tosses it over the wall for engineering to build.
    2. Product blames engineering even though the product roadmaps are absurd. There are only junior product people, with little useful experience beyond presentations. They are also non-technical, making their communication pipelines extremely inefficient and convoluted. Product decisions usually take place in a vacuum, without talking to engineering.
    3. Leadership is unaware, incompetent, or completely deluded. Across the board, there is a fundamental lack of trust in EVERY department towards employees. I worked with a huge part of the company, and there are only a few managers that actually manage and trust their employees. It's extremely frustrating and demoralizing. When things fail because of leadership, the teams get blamed, and the leaders get away with it. It's a dysfunctional place. Hosain has no idea of much of this because he's insulated by a level of people that are unable or refuse to give him the right information.

The culture is miserable. If you're an engineer in the Bay Area, ANYWHERE is better for culture, both socially and technologically. Simply put, Jawbone has no internal employee culture. It's a 24/7 grindhouse for work that never goes into production OR goes down in flames because of leadership failures.

This is long, and you may not believe me. Do your research and look at how many people leave Jawbone after 1 year or less. Ask them.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust quit. Why do I say that? Because this company has been around for so long with a dysfunctional culture, there is probably no hope in saving it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, lacking in production iteration

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood people, good beer. Strong engineering culture.

ConsJawbone doesn't iterate products fast enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementIterate products faster, keep up with market demand.

Best place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOrganized structure..Good products..Enthu work culture

ConsSo far so good..no complaints

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far so good..no complaints

Good Experience

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsScope of growth is good

ConsPoor roadmap planning and operation execution

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the cons

I don't recommend working here

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros* Free food? Even that's not very good.
    * Hours can be flexible

There's not a lot to talk about here but I have to hit a 20-word minimum.

Cons* Engineering culture revolves around ego and hubris, and consists of factions of people who worked together at previous companies. Organic hires tend to not last long.
    * Promotions are based more on who you know than what you've accomplished. If you're not from an acquired startup, your opportunities will not be the same. Promotions generally tend to happen when someone above you gets fired or quits.
    * If you're offered sub-par wages in exchange for the promise of better wages later on, be very skeptical. HR will use arbitrary reasoning to keep you underpaid (significantly less than your immediate peers).
    * Huge amount of competition entering the market (Apple, Google, Motorola, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. Interactions feel very fake.

At first good, then not so good

Manufacturing Test Engineer (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFree snacks, coffee, and lunches

ConsTrendy company, so subject to product market changing trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more in touch with on the ground employees, and less with lofty management visions.

Brilliant colleagues, pioneering products, and excellent benefits

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou know those highly sought after employers like Google, Apple, or Facebook? People leave those companies on a regular basis to work at Jawbone because it's, quite simply, one of the greatest places to work. They offer the stability and cushy perks of a big company but still have a relaxed startup culture where innovation is encouraged and individuals can have a huge impact on products. And the products are seriously rad.

ConsScaling so quickly has resulted in some growing pains at Jawbone - it's not always clear what areas are managed by what teams and there is often unnecessary overlap. There are also inefficiencies resulting from so many different systems being used. For example, if you want the ability to chat with everyone at the company, you'll need to set up accounts with three different chat providers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake high-level company priorities clear to individual teams.
    Continue to focus on efficient growth.
    Keep up the great work.

Excellent Company Weighed Down by Legacy Senior Leadership

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat product line, excellent vision, solid rising management class. Many high-horsepower, high-eq new employees.

ConsLegacy senior leadership from true startup days are limiting potential of new pre-ipo hires. Lots of ego and pretension among the former heads of the company; even some of the current heads.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are no longer the smartest people in the room, lose the ego, help the company grow.

Worked for Jawbone? Contribute to the Community!