Jawbone Reviews

Hosain Rahman

Great Company, Great People, Great Products

Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is by far the best company I've ever worked for. The people, the products, the pay, the benefits, there isn't anything about this company that isn't awesome!

Cons

There are no cons. The commute is something I knew about before I accepted the position so that is no surprise.

Good Company, Bad Startup

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, Nice office, Tasty food, Interesting products, Dogs everywhere

Cons

Inefficient in some areas, poor communication, too many surveys

Management needs to be more in-touch with the soldiers on the ground. All executive staff should meet with a non-senior employee for at least an hour each week. I think the company would do much better if executive and senior staff listened more. This isn't about having to deal with complaints about work hours or pay or benefits, it's so that management has a better sense of where teams are on their projects.

Slow moving for a start-up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about design, good office location, flexible work schedule

Cons

Culture is like high school- lots of infighting and lots of stepping on others to get ahead, which is very obnoxious in a company of ~300 people. Senior management is incredibly elitist. They love to sit in their conference room with the windows blocked out and discuss whatever inconsistent strategy they're pursuing that month. Employee turnover at all levels, including senior management, is very high. There is also almost nothing done to help develop employees. The exception to much of this is the engineering team, which seems pretty well run.

It's a small company, so act like it. Have a meaningful connection with your employees. Trust them enough to share information when things are good and when things are bad. In short, get out of your office once and a while and be human.

Great company with an incredible vision and founder

Current Employee - G&A in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - G&A in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jawbone has great people. Honestly, there is a really great vibe between all of the employees and people are very genuine. I can really be myself at Jawbone. Great products that continue to disrupt markets and be super super cool.
    Inspiring Founder and great company brand.

Cons

There are some internal organization issues that are causing some execution delays but overall these are things that are known and being worked on by leadership. We have made incremental improvements on this over the pas 18 months I believe will continue to do this. In spite of this, we continue to make exciting products.

Keep listening to people, keep iterating and keep improving. Startups are challenging and every one has their own unique challenges. The ones we have are easy fixes and we if we keep listening and wanting better, we will get there.

JAWBONE UP - Just Another Worthless Bad Overpriced Novelty Electronic Underwhelming Pedometer

Former Employee - Human Resources/Staffing Professional in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources/Staffing Professional in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not a whole lot except the short commute

Cons

Everything - Products break - Management lacks direction, strategy, maturity and IQ

Retire yourselves

A series of disappointments

I have been working at Jawbone full-time

Pros

Great opportunities with potentially massive impact on the world. Beautiful products that people do like a lot. Smart people, many of whom have become very close friends.

Cons

Terrible culture, lack of focus, senior management very divided from the rest of the company and doing a very poor job communicating their vision (if there is one).

Sr. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well designed products
    Bright engineers with lots of innovation
    Great benefits and balanced work environment

Cons

Great products, but company should find ways to improve marketing.

Hire more engineers and focus on releasing products earlier. Don't give up your audio products. They also hold great promise.

Cool products but lack of direction and very political environment

Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Food
    Discounted products
    Smart Engineers
    Free snacks
    Cool products

Cons

Very political & very very poor leadership
    Very slow decision making
    Performance reviews are based on friendship with your manager
    Managers with no technical aptitude
    Peer Reviews are full of BS and depends on your friendship with in your team or with your manager
    High attrition rate

Hire technical managers for technical leadership
    Just because people had been working from last 3-4 years, does n't mean they are good.
    Talent is leaving,open your eyes. Start with immediate managers.

Top-down management style that hands out assignments rather than utilizes employee's brains.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Jawbone full-time

Pros

Excellent environment to get exposed to in internal politics, to learn what not to do by example, and to see a demoralized employee base. The best thing that is unique to Jawbone is the employee discount on Jamboxes, and those discounts aren't even that great.

Cons

Leadership, time off, equity compensation, influence on product, promotion by merit, communication, personal growth, professional growth, alcoholism, lack of meritocracy.

Seriously, this place is not good. Design reigns, with people who don't know what they are doing. Engineers (hardware and software) both leave regularly because the conditions are absurdly abusive. No one lets engineers problem solve. There are interesting products, but they can't shine because it's a culture that gives engineers tasks, telling them to go create things without thinking about them at all. When things fail, engineers get the blame. Why?

1. Design escapes any oversight because they didn't build the product and they have a strong political connection to leadership. Design supposedly has the biggest sway, controlling product (which makes the PMs angry). The team usually comes up with an idea, fully designs it with some notes to product, then tosses it over the wall for engineering to build.
    2. Product blames engineering even though the product roadmaps are absurd. There are only junior product people, with little useful experience beyond presentations. They are also non-technical, making their communication pipelines extremely inefficient and convoluted. Product decisions usually take place in a vacuum, without talking to engineering.
    3. Leadership is unaware, incompetent, or completely deluded. Across the board, there is a fundamental lack of trust in EVERY department towards employees. I worked with a huge part of the company, and there are only a few managers that actually manage and trust their employees. It's extremely frustrating and demoralizing. When things fail because of leadership, the teams get blamed, and the leaders get away with it. It's a dysfunctional place. Hosain has no idea of much of this because he's insulated by a level of people that are unable or refuse to give him the right information.

The culture is miserable. If you're an engineer in the Bay Area, ANYWHERE is better for culture, both socially and technologically. Simply put, Jawbone has no internal employee culture. It's a 24/7 grindhouse for work that never goes into production OR goes down in flames because of leadership failures.

This is long, and you may not believe me. Do your research and look at how many people leave Jawbone after 1 year or less. Ask them.

Just quit. Why do I say that? Because this company has been around for so long with a dysfunctional culture, there is probably no hope in saving it.

Unclear direction

I worked at Jawbone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, Good vacation time, Flexible hours,

Cons

Poor Leadership, decision making, too much politics

Clear direction is needed.

Jawbone Photos

Meetings on the Jawbone Roof deck.

+ Add Photo