Jawbone

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company, Great People, Great Products

Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is by far the best company I've ever worked for. The people, the products, the pay, the benefits, there isn't anything about this company that isn't awesome!

Cons

There are no cons. The commute is something I knew about before I accepted the position so that is no surprise.

Very hip company to work for. Talented engineers with good ideas, terrible execution, lack of upper management direction

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone

Pros

Great people to work with, bright and talented, but terribly mismanaged. Catered lunches, stocked refrigerators.

Cons

Jawbone is not a serious company. Super casual. Bring your dog to work. Drink at your desk at 3 on a Monday. Awful culture - the company is more focused on being cool than being an actual company that can produce a good product.

Complete lack of focus. CEO acts like a salesman who provides no value or truth in his communications with his employees. Lots of boasting, no productive outcome. Deadlines are never met. Huge disconnect between what is necessary to achieve goals and actual resources committed. Huge disconnect between sales and marketing forecasting and engineering.
    Vendors, contractors are never paid on time, yet company buys thousands of dollars worth of food each week. Very flashy and theoretically cool products, but such awful execution. I'm shocked that this company stays in business. Older than 10 years and still refers to itself as a "start up." The only time I ever heard the truth at an all hands meeting is when CEO was out of the country and instead finance talked and showed the real state of affairs. Huge attrition rate in 2014 as people jumped ship after realizing management had no plan for them. Just awful prioritization and allocation of resources.

Grow up. Stop boasting. Stop selling yourself. CEO seems more interested in fame and recognition than running a solid company. When you hire people more experience than you because you want them to create processes that work, you should probably take their advice instead of shutting them down.

Good Company, Bad Startup

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, Nice office, Tasty food, Interesting products, Dogs everywhere

Cons

Inefficient in some areas, poor communication, too many surveys

Management needs to be more in-touch with the soldiers on the ground. All executive staff should meet with a non-senior employee for at least an hour each week. I think the company would do much better if executive and senior staff listened more. This isn't about having to deal with complaints about work hours or pay or benefits, it's so that management has a better sense of where teams are on their projects.

Slow moving for a start-up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about design, good office location, flexible work schedule

Cons

Culture is like high school- lots of infighting and lots of stepping on others to get ahead, which is very obnoxious in a company of ~300 people. Senior management is incredibly elitist. They love to sit in their conference room with the windows blocked out and discuss whatever inconsistent strategy they're pursuing that month. Employee turnover at all levels, including senior management, is very high. There is also almost nothing done to help develop employees. The exception to much of this is the engineering team, which seems pretty well run.

It's a small company, so act like it. Have a meaningful connection with your employees. Trust them enough to share information when things are good and when things are bad. In short, get out of your office once and a while and be human.

Great company with an incredible vision and founder

Current Employee - G&A in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - G&A in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jawbone has great people. Honestly, there is a really great vibe between all of the employees and people are very genuine. I can really be myself at Jawbone. Great products that continue to disrupt markets and be super super cool.
    Inspiring Founder and great company brand.

Cons

There are some internal organization issues that are causing some execution delays but overall these are things that are known and being worked on by leadership. We have made incremental improvements on this over the pas 18 months I believe will continue to do this. In spite of this, we continue to make exciting products.

Keep listening to people, keep iterating and keep improving. Startups are challenging and every one has their own unique challenges. The ones we have are easy fixes and we if we keep listening and wanting better, we will get there.

JAWBONE UP - Just Another Worthless Bad Overpriced Novelty Electronic Underwhelming Pedometer

Former Employee - Human Resources/Staffing Professional in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources/Staffing Professional in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not a whole lot except the short commute

Cons

Everything - Products break - Management lacks direction, strategy, maturity and IQ

Retire yourselves

Sr. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well designed products
    Bright engineers with lots of innovation
    Great benefits and balanced work environment

Cons

Great products, but company should find ways to improve marketing.

Hire more engineers and focus on releasing products earlier. Don't give up your audio products. They also hold great promise.

Good company, lacking in production iteration

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good beer. Strong engineering culture.

Cons

Jawbone doesn't iterate products fast enough.

Iterate products faster, keep up with market demand.

Best place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Organized structure..Good products..Enthu work culture

Cons

So far so good..no complaints

So far so good..no complaints

I don't recommend working here

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Free food? Even that's not very good.
    * Hours can be flexible

There's not a lot to talk about here but I have to hit a 20-word minimum.

Cons

* Engineering culture revolves around ego and hubris, and consists of factions of people who worked together at previous companies. Organic hires tend to not last long.
    * Promotions are based more on who you know than what you've accomplished. If you're not from an acquired startup, your opportunities will not be the same. Promotions generally tend to happen when someone above you gets fired or quits.
    * If you're offered sub-par wages in exchange for the promise of better wages later on, be very skeptical. HR will use arbitrary reasoning to keep you underpaid (significantly less than your immediate peers).
    * Huge amount of competition entering the market (Apple, Google, Motorola, etc.)

Be more transparent. Interactions feel very fake.

Jawbone Photos

Meetings on the Jawbone Roof deck.

+ Add Photo