Jawbone

www.jawbone.com

Jawbone Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 27, 2014
Jawbone – San Francisco – “Meetings on the Jawbone Roof deck.”

Hosain Rahman

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sr. Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWell designed products
    Bright engineers with lots of innovation
    Great benefits and balanced work environment

ConsGreat products, but company should find ways to improve marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more engineers and focus on releasing products earlier. Don't give up your audio products. They also hold great promise.

Good company, lacking in production iteration

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood people, good beer. Strong engineering culture.

ConsJawbone doesn't iterate products fast enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementIterate products faster, keep up with market demand.

Best place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOrganized structure..Good products..Enthu work culture

ConsSo far so good..no complaints

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far so good..no complaints

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I don't recommend working here

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros* Free food? Even that's not very good.
    * Hours can be flexible

There's not a lot to talk about here but I have to hit a 20-word minimum.

Cons* Engineering culture revolves around ego and hubris, and consists of factions of people who worked together at previous companies. Organic hires tend to not last long.
    * Promotions are based more on who you know than what you've accomplished. If you're not from an acquired startup, your opportunities will not be the same. Promotions generally tend to happen when someone above you gets fired or quits.
    * If you're offered sub-par wages in exchange for the promise of better wages later on, be very skeptical. HR will use arbitrary reasoning to keep you underpaid (significantly less than your immediate peers).
    * Huge amount of competition entering the market (Apple, Google, Motorola, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. Interactions feel very fake.

Brilliant colleagues, pioneering products, and excellent benefits

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou know those highly sought after employers like Google, Apple, or Facebook? People leave those companies on a regular basis to work at Jawbone because it's, quite simply, one of the greatest places to work. They offer the stability and cushy perks of a big company but still have a relaxed startup culture where innovation is encouraged and individuals can have a huge impact on products. And the products are seriously rad.

ConsScaling so quickly has resulted in some growing pains at Jawbone - it's not always clear what areas are managed by what teams and there is often unnecessary overlap. There are also inefficiencies resulting from so many different systems being used. For example, if you want the ability to chat with everyone at the company, you'll need to set up accounts with three different chat providers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake high-level company priorities clear to individual teams.
    Continue to focus on efficient growth.
    Keep up the great work.

Excellent Company Weighed Down by Legacy Senior Leadership

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat product line, excellent vision, solid rising management class. Many high-horsepower, high-eq new employees.

ConsLegacy senior leadership from true startup days are limiting potential of new pre-ipo hires. Lots of ego and pretension among the former heads of the company; even some of the current heads.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are no longer the smartest people in the room, lose the ego, help the company grow.

A company built and run by passionate people

Product Management Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDespite the hierarchies the organization is pretty flat. I had the opportunity to interact with the founder and senior leadership on a 1-1 basis. I was really happy working for my manager and team. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. Most importantly I found that everyone is really passionate about what they do a the company. Which is a big positive!

ConsNothing really. I wish my internship was longer :)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore parties on the roof during the summertime

Bad experience at Jawbone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood medical benefits. Company does not hold back on luncheons socials to keep employees happy.

ConsCompany does not know how to scale. They would rather hire for certain departments when others are seriously understaffed and overworked. Too much politics and very cliquey.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLearned a lot at my internship and got to work on interesting problems and cool products. Jawbone isn't a huge company so you don't feel lost or bored with not enough work like you would doing an internship at a large company. People at Jawbone are really cool to work with and the culture is fun. Employees get free meals at work which is super nice, and you get cool swag.

ConsAs an intern I had a really positive experience. No complaints, however it would have been cool to get more Jawbone t-shirts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns more high fives.

Fun environment, great people, cool products, interesting technical challenges.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCatered lunches are delicious, work time environment is fun and laid back. They are working on some very cool products with very cool technical challenges approaching. Expanding rapidly and headed in the right direction.

ConsLocation of the offices aren't amazing. While only a 15 minute walk from CalTrain, the neighborhood isn't that exciting. The office building itself is cool but not that great.

Worked for Jawbone? Contribute to the Community!