Jawbone Reviews

Hosain Rahman

1. Rough 2014, positive 2015

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone (More than a year)

Pros

* Building hardware and software experiences: Unique opportunity to work with hardware / firmware / software / platform engineers to push bounders on every end of the stack. * Constantly redefining the business (pro): Jawbone has the unique past of constantly pushing into new businesses. On the pro side, the company takes big swings to push the future. * Smart people: The company has many smart people that you enjoy working with and want to hang out with outside of work. * All of the "standard" high growth startup benefits: free lunch, subsidized parking, benefits, etc.

Cons

* Long decision times: In certain instances it has taken senior management too long to make a decision, leaving people to infer one. It's nice when the working team gets it right, sucks when we get it wrong. This has improved with Sameer's recent arrival but this change is still new so tbd. * Constantly redefining the business (con): Jawbone has the unique past of constantly pushing into new businesses. On the con side, it means we are sometimes churning too much while we redefine who we are. It can get frustrating when you don't realize its happening. * Challenges & the press: Every startup has challenges, the press seems to like talking about our's more than others. This impacts our ability to focus on building. Fortunately, it has not restricted management's transparency on the business and roadmap.

Advice to Management

Jawbone has a unique vision and opportunity. Management should plot a clear course for how we get there, continue hiring great people, get rid of the negative people, and deliver for our customers.

2. It's been quite the ride, but there is great upside

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone

Pros

- The wearable/data/IoT space is certainly a growth market. With any new market, there is a lot to learn and it comes with a certain amount of expected failures. However, the excitement that comes with this is stimulating and compelling. - Great benefits all around. Free lunch, free products, etc; - Incredible array of phenomenally intelligent people who are the known as some of the best in their fields. All of these people are very accessible for any employee.

Cons

- Many mistakes over the past 3 years with hardware failures and missed launches. Much of this came from not understanding the manufacturing process or overreaching on design principals. Many of these mistakes were made over and over again; new leadership on the Finance and Product side has brought a more common sense approach to the product roadmap.

Advice to Management

Continue to streamline decision making and require detailed objectives for those pitching new products or features. Do not announce products until we know they are ready for the market; then, get busy marketing them.

Disconnected management with no signs of reconnecting.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch, still paying employees

Cons

We were asked by our management via email to file favorable glassdoor reviews because our HR is having a hard time recruiting people. The fact that they think it is solely glassdoor reviews and not the constant bad reviews in the App Store, the bad reviews of our product in the news, the constant suing of our successful (and profitable) rival FitBit or the fact we just got debt funding because we are broke clearly shows the disconnect of management.

Advice to Management

Look for a new job.

Great Talent, Terrible Management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Smart, motivated people * Great perks * Great products and software that employees can be proud of * Beers on the Roof!

Cons

* Bad managers churn through talent, especially in Engineering and design, turnover is over 100% a year * Upper management unwilling to make tough decisions on which projects to cut / or augment. Most projects are in perpetual, half-staffed limbo. Top talent leaves because they aren't being allowed to perform to their potential. Mediocre talent sticks around. * Best efforts of Engineers, Data Scientists, Designers, Project Managers wasted on great products that flop because of negligent marketing department. * Company refuses to fire executives that repeatedly fail

Advice to Management

Don't make people managers that don't have managerial skills. When managers don't perform (by hiring good talent, retaining them and allowing them to perform at their potential) let them go.

Could be much better

I have been working at Jawbone

Pros

- Free lunch, snacks and beers every once in a while - Work with plenty of smart people - If you're great at re-building broken businesses then this would be your ideal place to work

Cons

- Really bad people managers and executive leadership. They keep trying to fix these things but can't seem to get anything right. - So many worthless meetings for you to spend your entire day in with little or no agenda. - Very high turnover. Projects keep starting and stopping because of it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Hosain - he's poison to the company. Start listening to your employees if you're interested at all in fixing the company.

7. Hardware Engineer

I have been working at Jawbone

Pros

Good place to work for

Cons

None so far at location

Advice to Management

None so far

Technical Program Manager

I worked at Jawbone

Pros

There are some really good people :-) but they are left in corners to do nothing.

Cons

Very poor management, Board of this company really need to let all the executive team go if at all they have interest in this company to be in business. Some good people come and go after getting to know the company internally, and all incapable people in most crucial decision making roles.

Advice to Management

GO HOME!

9. Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment. Encouragement for new ideas. Relaxed, creative, focused and goal oriented work.

Cons

Executives don't have laser focused vision. Hence all the great engineering work doesn't get recognition.

10. Program Manager

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No shortage of projects and scope of tasks to do. Great medium sized startup with mix of young experienced industry veterans to learn from as well as lead younger folks.

Cons

Product decision needs to be cleaner and quicker. Great road maps, but needs to just execute.

Advice to Management

Use the existing teams to the fullest. Lots of under utilized talent.

Director

I worked at Jawbone full-time

Pros

Smart people, fun products, interesting problems to work on.

Cons

Totally mismanaged. Leadership team doesn't have the previous experience necessary to do their jobs. The fumbles are embarrassing. Incompetence combined with unbelievable hubris is a lethal combination.

Advice to Management

Bring in leadership with the experience needed to build a competitive company.

RSS Feed </> Embed