Jazz at Lincoln Center

Jazz at Lincoln Center Reviews

3.1

Greg Scholl
1 Rating

Great experience, fantastic atmosphere, and great people.

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Jazz at Lincoln Center

Pros

Jazz at Lincoln Center is a fantastic atmosphere to work in, and the people within the company are fun while hard-working, making it a great place to work.

Cons

The only downside that I can think of pertains to the music - because the organization is working hard for the benefit of jazz, sometimes the jazz itself can be neglected.

Good for part time job

Current Employee - Front House  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front House in New York, NY

I have been working at Jazz at Lincoln Center part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great management. Great staff.

Cons

No benefits, low pay rate

Good place to learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Jazz at Lincoln Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a neat place to work.

Cons

The jobs generally don't pay well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a Healthy Environment Currently

I have been working at Jazz at Lincoln Center full-time

Pros

The pros of working at Jazz at Lincoln Center are the exposure to the music and generally nice co-workers. There has been a major management change at the organization which has not been received well by many long-term, committed employees. Adrian Ellis is no longer the Executive Director. The new ED is Greg Scholl who came from NBC Universal.

Cons

The new Executive Director is not experienced in running a cultural not-for-profit. He doesn't realize that we could all be making more money in the corporate world but we CHOOSE to be in this world because we derive a sense of enjoyment from it. When that ceases, it ceases to be an enjoyable places to work. Upper management doesn't seem to care about the working class of the organization. Loyalty is not rewarded at this organization.

Find an executive director who understands how to manage an arts organization and how to treat individuals respectfully. Creative Director Wynton Marsalis is distant and aloof as far as the day-to-day operations.

Great free concerts, but they terminate their employees with almost no notice

Former Employee - Web Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Jazz at Lincoln Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great to be in a musical environment and enjoy free concerts (including being able to go to Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola for free anytime). Plenty of fun and enjoyable coworkers.

Cons

A surprising amount of corporate bureaucracy and mismanagement. The administration shows almost no regard for employee loyalty and will terminate employees on a moment's notice if it's convenient to them, even for employees with an excellent track record. Also, some coworkers were very very sensitive so there's not as much freedom to express one's opinion and speak candidly as would be desirable.

Please treat employees with more respect, especially those who demonstrate a commitment to the mission and a love of jazz and have worked hard over the years. Some turnover is to be expected in order to bring about needed changes, but too much turnover is disruptive and counterproductive.

Worked for Jazz at Lincoln Center? Contribute to the Community!