Jean-Georges Management

2.5

CEO

Not bad

I worked at Jean-Georges Management

Pros

It's a really good learning experience

Cons

It's a very stressful environment

Give employees a break

Terrible company to work for.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Jean-Georges Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food, usually cheap stuff like rice or cornbread, but it's free.

Cons

All Managers are terrible people in general. They will take advantage of you, work you 70 hours a week and your checks will be impossible to calculate.

It sucks your soul out

Current Employee - Pastry  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pastry in New York, NY

I have been working at Jean-Georges Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you can survive this kitchen for a year you can work in any kitchen in NYC. You will learn everything you need to be a great cook and you will be forced to work to a 4 star level of perfection. You will justifiably be able to ignore interns and new hires until they make it at least 2 months, because many do not. You will be able to walk away knowing you are a better cook than 90% of cooks out there.

Cons

It will make you miserable. You must be able to find joy in the smallest things or you won't make it. You have to be thick skinned and have a sense of humor and be able to accept the fact that life just isn't fair. It's chaotic, crowded, nothing works, some times food doesn't get ordered and it's always your fault. You have to find a way to get it done. No excuses. DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU AREN'T SERIOUS ABOUT BEING A CHEF - this isn't for people who like cooking. It's for serious cooks.

Keep being tough on the cook to make them great - but there should also be a reward system for being good. The intern and most senior cooks shouldn't get paid the same.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Jean-Georges Restaurant was a very fun and exciting learning opportunity

Former Employee - Culinary Extern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Culinary Extern in New York, NY

I worked at Jean-Georges Management part-time for less than a year

Pros

While working at Jean-Georges during my culinary externship, I was given my own station, the Amuse Bouche. I was in charge of every aspect of the station, including order, prepping, cooking, and plating. While the Amuse Bouche is only a small part of the dining experience, it is the very first impression from the chef, therefore it was a big responsibility. Also, the other line cooks could not start cooking until my food was sent to the table.

During downtimes, I was able to go around to the other stations and help plate and sometimes cook. It was very fun watching how everyone worked in the restaurant. I learned how important communication between stations is and different cooking methods.

Cons

The kitchen is very small, therefore prepping is difficult at times. Equipment is limited and I often found myself waiting to do something, which slowed me down severely. I also found some of the staff unapproachable, but that might be a problem with myself or the fact that I was just an extern.

A company that forgets its employees are human.

I have been working at Jean-Georges Management

Pros

Pay is good, so long as they don't over staff.
    Safe neighborhood
    Flexible with the schedule with most situations.
    Very friendly coworkers.

Cons

Constant changing in management
    Constant changing in policy
    Constant micromanaging on the part of the Restaurant's Management and Management at the Corporate Level
    Company is biased when it comes to promotions (Skinny, Caucasian, American, for positions as a Waiter of Higher) - Supported by Corporate Management

Training for all managers on all levels on how to successfully lead staff is essential. These managers have breezed through Business Management, but seem to have forgotten to take notes on Human Resources and how to manage it.

Mercer Kitchen

Current Employee - Hostess
    Current Employee - Hostess

I have been working at Jean-Georges Management

Pros

after 3 months you get 50% off on a dinner for two

Cons

The employees are always rushing. I understand we have customers to attend but lets be polite about pushing people. Managers don't say hello and then when one takes on there attitude the say where miserable. No one wants to help each other, while maybe you might be open to helping anyone who needs it. People quit about everyday, even in there training days.

there are better restautants to work at in NEW YORK

Worked for Jean-Georges Management? Contribute to the Community!