Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)

www.jcpsky.net

Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) Reviews in Kentucky

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) Superintendent Donna Hargens

Donna Hargens

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

As a substitute, not usually employed the way they wanted, but I always found ways to contribute

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) Louisville-Jefferson County, KY

ProsEasy to get a job here...

ConsI think because they focus on empty slots they had to fill, I wasn't always placed in the most-needed areas. My last assignment was a classroom of ten students who already had a teacher and several aides. I found ways to contribute, of course, and I loved it -- but I think they employ based on empty slots, and don't question the teacher if s/he needs another hand. (I think this is how big-government type stuff works.)

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the teachers be more active in hiring substitutes

Its ok, but not much room for growth with in company

School Bus Driver (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsPlenty of on the job training

ConsOnce a driver always a driver

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Ambiguous expectations/ Life changing work

Resource Teacher (Consultant Teacher) (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThe students who are in the urban schools perform under subpar conditions due to the fact that leadership is very inconsistent. The teachers have potful professional development options, therefore they create the most amazing work despite the lack of support. The pay is the best one can find in the field, and depending upon where you work, the culture can be the best culture one can experience. I've made bonds with coworkers that exceed any I have ever had in any job in life.

ConsThe district is a political nightmare. If you are in the good graces of the leadership, there is little one can do wrong and expect negative feedback. The performance review process is a joke, the amount of support teachers and coaches receive is laughable, and the students in the end pay for the lack of direction in teaching and data system implementation. The district is a classically bloated bureaucracy and the experience of most stakeholders depends greatly upon where one lands. If a teacher, leader, student, or anyone has the misfortune of landing in a school west of I-65, their experience will for the most part be unpleasant.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management at the top seriously need to take a look at the expectations they place on the people beneath them and the support they give. It seems as if nobody has looked at the ecology of the organization and rushed directive simply rain down from above with absolutely no memory of what that means under the currently stretched conditions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

JCPS overall is a great company to work for, impossible to get promoted, JCPS Adult Ed is all about who you know.

Instructor and Career Planner (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsJob security, working directly with youth 16-21 years old to assist with educational and career goals, working with friendly and helpful staff, competitive salary, and up to date technology

ConsNepotism, management needs training in HR issues, diversity, processing and problem solving.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement NEEDS TO Obtain continuing education in management skills, communication, and workplace etiquette, be honest and have integrity, encourage diversity, give feed back to employees, don't play favorites, keep everyone in the loop, COMMUNICATION !

Typical of a big city school district

Teacher (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThe students! I love working with kids

ConsThe district is a mess overall; some schools are great, others are awful and get no resources

The district has plenty of problems, but most don't directly affect its employees.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsWorking directly with kids is both a pro and a con, but primarily positive. Classroom work is extremely fulfilling. Decent pay and good benefits help as well.

ConsVery little support from the community and in many cases from within the organization. It's easy to become jaded. No support for part-time staff that has no income during the summer months.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with your staff consistently. Be visible. Get to know the kids, even if you don't work directly with them. Try to keep in touch with the backbeat of school culture.

School Bus Driver. It's a job

Bus Driver (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThe benefits are great and your fellow drivers are descent hard working people. It's Monday thru Friday with plenty of holidays off.

ConsThe pay is ridiculously low. They say you start at 16 & can get to 20+ an hour but they rob you thru their mandatory escrow. I got up to $20.42 an hour & was only taking home $680 every two weeks! They also don't support the drivers & treat you with little respect. You will have kids threatening you with sincere physical violence for telling them to sit down and when you make a report nothing is done at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementTighten up the bus rider rules for the kids and actually discipline them for bad behavior. They know they can get away with anything just shy of murder & you wonder why they keep getting worse. Respect your Drivers, they are on the front lines out there.

The World of Education is A-Changing

Teacher (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsExcellent leadership; great community of teachers; true desire to better students

ConsLarge classes; extremely diverse student body makes it difficult to differentiate for all students; bussing gives students too much flexibility to choose schools, which corrupts sports teams

I worked for Lifelong Learning, the adult ed branch. I My supervisor and co-workers are friendly and professional.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThe pay is good and the hours are flexible. No egos to deal with. Everyone shows mutual respect.

ConsIf no one signs up for the class, I don't get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp until now, my references have not been checked.

Working at JCPS would be great if they weren't too smart for common sense.

Bus Driver (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThe kids are great, if I only had to deal with the kids the job would be great.

ConsThe inmates are running the asylum. The idiots in charge more worried about public opinion than doing a good job with kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourself.

Worked for Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)? Contribute to the Community!