Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)
www.jcpsky.net Louisville, KY 5000+ Employees

Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) Superintendent Donna Hargens

Donna Hargens

As a substitute, not usually employed the way they wanted, but I always found ways to contribute

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee)
Louisville-Jefferson County, KY

I worked at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy to get a job here...

ConsI think because they focus on empty slots they had to fill, I wasn't always placed in the most-needed areas. My last assignment was a classroom of ten students who already had a teacher and several aides. I found ways to contribute, of course, and I loved it -- but I think they employ based on empty slots, and don't question the teacher if s/he needs another hand. (I think this is how big-government type stuff works.)

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the teachers be more active in hiring substitutes

The district has plenty of problems, but most don't directly affect its employees.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking directly with kids is both a pro and a con, but primarily positive. Classroom work is extremely fulfilling. Decent pay and good benefits help as well.

ConsVery little support from the community and in many cases from within the organization. It's easy to become jaded. No support for part-time staff that has no income during the summer months.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with your staff consistently. Be visible. Get to know the kids, even if you don't work directly with them. Try to keep in touch with the backbeat of school culture.

Enjoyed working with the children

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)

ProsWorking with the children was usually really great! It often depending on school/person you worked with those days. Sometimes there were no lessons to teach the students : (

ConsLimited training led to being bitten at one of the schools in a mental hospital. Often looked down on by students and staff as "just as a sub." Sometimes felt like a scapegoat and with no contract it was like walking on eggshells.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer health benefits to subs we are people do who want to be able to afford basic human needs.

The World of Education is A-Changing

Teacher (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent leadership; great community of teachers; true desire to better students

ConsLarge classes; extremely diverse student body makes it difficult to differentiate for all students; bussing gives students too much flexibility to choose schools, which corrupts sports teams

I worked for Lifelong Learning, the adult ed branch. I My supervisor and co-workers are friendly and professional.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

ProsThe pay is good and the hours are flexible. No egos to deal with. Everyone shows mutual respect.

ConsIf no one signs up for the class, I don't get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp until now, my references have not been checked.

Working at JCPS would be great if they weren't too smart for common sense.

Bus Driver (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) full-time for more than a year

ProsThe kids are great, if I only had to deal with the kids the job would be great.

ConsThe inmates are running the asylum. The idiots in charge more worried about public opinion than doing a good job with kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourself.

Good at JCPS

Teacher (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStable environment in which to work.

ConsNot a place to find growth.

early childhood program bus monitor

Bus Monitor (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

Prosyou have have 3 day weekend every week; get a 2-hour break (non-paid)

Consmay have to work during your break; not enough hours to work a week (work only 24 hours a week)

It's a great place to work as long as you have a passion for what you are doing and you like making a difference.

Teacher/Special Education (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

Prosmoney is ok once you've received your Master's degree
working hours are 7:00 to 2:30 M-F; no weekends; summers off
making a difference in the lives of students
not being stuck in a cubicle looking at a computer all day long

Conswork/life balance can be tricky when you're trying to do teaching and Master level classes at the same time.
not getting along with teacher's assistants
keeping up with all of the required paperwork

Advice to Senior Managementbe more open to showing new teachers (especially for special education) all of the expectations they will be expected to follow; better training.

Easiest job

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)

Pros-Easy
-Doesn't even feel like work.
-Only work the days you want and at the schools you want.
-Around $100 a day (about 6 hours), even if you work a half day.
-Off by 2:20pm for middle and high school.
-No one to report to.
-No brown nosing required.
-Pick where you want to go.
-Most students easy to get along with if you pick your battles.
-Great way to suppliment income if you have a day or two a week off from your full-time job.
-Use the internet at the teacher's desk if the students are minding their own business.

Cons-Not able to get a job everyday.
-Getting up really early.
-Some students can be a major pain.
-Sometimes you'll have to watch the same video 5 or 6 times in one day depending on what the teacher has left for the students to watch.
-Driving to new areas all of the time makes it easy to get lost if you don't have a GPS.
-No insurance offered.

Worked for Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) CEO Donna Hargens . All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) employees.