Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)

www.jeffcopublicschools.org

Cindy Stevenson

1. School Bus Driver

Former Employee - School Bus Driver
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver

Pros

Jefferson County Schools is a wonderful employer. I drove for them for 9 years and I was treated fairly always. Their benefits program is second to none.

Cons

Benefits full time only start when you have more than 30 hours a week. This changed within the last two years from 24 hours a weel.

2. End of a dream

Former Employee - Teacher in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Arvada, CO

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow teachers, being able to do what you were called to do, be a positive force in student's lives.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. If your school has a good principal then you are fine. If you don't then there is little you can do to save yourself from being treated poorly and your every move being watched by administration.

Advice to Management

Appreciate teachers and let them do what they were trained to do. Work with new teachers collaboratively and be patient with them as they grow.

3. Bus Driver

Pros

Work with great co workers We transport some great kids

Cons

The Prorate can make you earn less than minimum wage depending on when you bid a route 2014 need OnStar for Buses Need better buses

Advice to Management

There should be Hazard pay in the winters when there should be no school but kids are still going! Prorate should be adjusted on case by case basis

Going down the tubes fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Below the BOE, there is a deep and honest desire to do right by the children in our schools. Innovation never stops.

Cons

New BOE majority has no background in education and therefore lacks the understanding of how funds should be allocated. Employees have taken wage reductions (3%) and have not received a pay increase in 5 years. No contribution to 401K. Outrageous cost to employees for health benefits. After forcing a very successful Superintendent out early, they now want someone with a military background to lead the District. Since when did children in Pre-K through 12th grade become soldiers????

Advice to Management

Leading a school district of 84,000 kids and 12,000 employees has no room for politics. Instead of trying to satisfy the extremists, please focus on what children need, listen to those who came before you and learn about topics before making decisions.

6. Public Schools

Former Employee - Para Educator in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Para Educator in Westminster, CO

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

Low pay for work required.

Advice to Management

Think about increasing pay and giving credit where it's due.

7. Going through some major challenges right now.

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with children was extremely rewarding.

Cons

A job working in a school can be affected mostly by the administration you work directly under. I worked for several principals, only 1 of which led our school in a productive and positive direction. New Controversial School Board divided between 2 liberal and 3 conservative members that ousted the superintendent. A lot of transformation right now, especially with these challenges and the changes occurring within the Board of Education and the teacher evaluation system.

8. Underfunded

Current Employee - Para Educator in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Para Educator in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I haven't found any pros working from the school. The kids are wonderful, but not the school as a business.

Cons

The position is underfunded and underappreciated.

9. Facilities Services

Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Manager in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Manager in Golden, CO

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people that are dedicated to giving the kids a good education and a great educational start.

Cons

Large with many varying priorities. Lack of long term community support forfunding.

Advice to Management

Keep making staff important.

10. Great district to work for

Former Employee - Teacher in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Littleton, CO

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my colleagues and the curriculum.

Cons

not efficient with time ie too many pointless meetings

11. Interesting adventure in the public sector

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe that if you get into the right school, this can be a rewarding place to work

Cons

Principals have too much power; employees are not valued for their professional skills and knowledge

Advice to Management

The power structure needs work. Community sups should spend more time making sure there is consistency across schools and principals are accountable to employees, so that it truly can be "all about kids" and not all about power.

RSS Feed </> Embed