Jefferson County Schools

A great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools full-time

Pros

Very team oriented atmosphere to belong to.

Cons

Small work force in a heavy workload environment.

Additional employees are definitely needed.

I wouldn't recommend.

I worked at Jefferson County Schools

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

No support and unrealistic expectations.

Learn to communicate.

It was a wonderful experience

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools

Pros

Work with students. Enhance their knowledge

Cons

There are not any cons

My experience has been wonderful.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Wintersville, OH
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Wintersville, OH

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching gave me the feeling of helping children.

Cons

Not knowing when you would work again. It was like being on call all the time.

Education

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Jefferson County Schools

Pros

The reward of working with children is the best thing about Jefferson County Board of Education.

Cons

Leadership is not willing to tell you a job well done. It is very dishearten not to hear that from management /supervisor.

Tell your employees you supervise that they are doing a good job.

Over works their teachers. Very data (test) motivated. Under-works their students.

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools

Pros

Internal professional development provided and accessible. Good benefits.

Cons

Grade recovery for any student with a 66 or under. RTI must be done in the classroom during class time. Tons of paperwork documentation required for RTI and grade recovery. Little student responsibility or accountability because they can make a 70 on their semester exam and pass with a 60 or do grade recovery to pass at the end of the 9 weeks to pass.
    Huge discipline problems. Lots of rules with no real enforcement. Extreme teacher apathy.

Students must learn responsibility and be held accountable to due dates and test scores (the first time around). The students know they can do nothing all semester and do well on a semester exam or do grade recovery at the end. This is their mentality, while we are working very hard doing
    RTI with these very students. I know there some exceptions, such as some students who may need to take the occasional test over. This is reasonable. We are graduating kids who have learned how to pass the graduation exam and have mastered grade recovery and cannot think critically. We are teaching them to be irresponsible and expect adults to provide a way out for their irresponsibility.
    On discipline, while we are concentrating so hard on graduation scores and RTI we are forgetting that we cannot teach in classes that are not managed. We have tremendous teacher apathy. Jefferson County has a large population of teachers that have been teaching for a long time. The population of our schools has changed. We need professional development from teachers that have been successful with classroom management in schools that have drug problems, single-parent homes, depressed socioeconomic situations, large free and reduced lunch populations, minority populations, violence issues and problems with authority. We need to hear from real teachers that are in the classroom now that have strategies that are effective that can be immediately implemented into classrooms. Teachers need more tools in the classroom. They need to be able to give detentions, some real deterrents to behavior. Perhaps silent lunch. Rules need to have teeth. Administration needs to support teachers and teachers need to know they are supported .

It's a great place to make a difference and change lives.

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools

Pros

You can change lives and the future of your community by investing in the lives of today's youth. It is truly a labor of love but well worth the effort!

Cons

The only real downfall is the same problem that the rest of America is experiencing. There is so much work to be done and so little funds to accomplish the tasks at hand.

Continue to put the children first. Set aside personal agendas and remember that we are called to serve the children, our community and one another. This is our future! Let's sow abundantly that we may reap an abundant harvest.