Jefferson National Financial Reviews

Mitchell H. Caplan

1. This company has great potential

Current Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson National Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Executive leadership knows what they're doing and is motivated to find long term success
    Work atmosphere is comfortable and laid back
    Good group of employees that make coming to work fun and entertaining
    Health plans are excellent
    Lot of free food

Cons

Still trying to figure out who we are as a company
    Waiting to see if we add another product offering
    Need to open more distribution pipelines
    Sales management is still trying to figure it all out

Advice to Management

I like what I've heard from the upper management team. But you need to do a better job of managing your managers. The sales management team are nice people but need to do a better job of managing. Too much talent on board to let people slide for not doing their jobs. Otherwise I think we have a chance to do something pretty cool.

2. OK place for a job but not a career

Former Employee - Territory Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Territory Consultant in Louisville, KY

I worked at Jefferson National Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its' a good place to get licensed and gain experience in the industry

Cons

In their last round of promotions they passed over people who were driven and motivated and promoted others who do nothing but complain. If you are not promoted to Senior Territory Consultant within your first year that is their way of telling you you should move on.

High turnover in sales

Management in the sales department are unorganized and unprofessional

Pay is much lower than what other financial sales jobs in town offer.

It's the only financial firm in town that doesn't offer tuition reimbursement. The 401k match is the lowest of the firms I've interviewed with as well.

People who have been there for more than a year seem miserable.

Advice to Management

Prepare for increased turnover. Your people are not happy. Promote Territory Consultants who are working hard and doing well.

3. Sales Management Doesn't Get It

Current Employee - Territory Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson National Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative, great product
    Great leadership from CEO and President
    Very cool office space
    Great people

Cons

Management in the sales department is bad
    We voice our concerns to management but they just don't seem to get it
    Morale is very low and people have started to leave
    Sales managers mock our concerns by saying "If you're not happy you can leave." This only lowers morale more and makes everyone unwilling to give constructive feedback
    Our service team is extremely difficult to work with and makes frequent mistakes that cost us sales
    No tuition reimbursement and bad benefits

Advice to Management

Raising goals less than what we were previously told isn't going to increase morale because the low morale isn't tied to our goals. It's tied to the lack of leadership from the sales managers. For real change focus on the sales management problem. Every single person in the company knows it exists and it needs to be addressed. Ignoring it only lowers morale more.

Jefferson National Financial Response

Dec 3, 2014Director, Human Resources

We strive at Jefferson National Financial to remain an industry leader not only with our innovative products and services, but also as an employer. We have continually won awards in this regard ... More

5. I have been here 4 years and based on my previous work experiences and this is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

Great opportunity to make a good living.
    Flexible environment that understands that we are people.
    Accessible management team.
    Sale management actually cares about you and doesn't look at you as just a number. I have been at at a couple other places and I can tell you this is not the case everywhere. I truly feel that they (especially Kevin) try to work with us to find solutions just not implement things.
    Good opportunity to learn and develop if you take advantage of it.

Cons

Goals keep increasing.
    Executive management are great people but their thoughts on company growth may be a little unrealistic.
    Some of my co workers would rather whine than be part of the solution. Everyone has probably been guilty of complaining at some point but the few I am referring to are downers.
    Because we are a young team there can be a lack of perspective.

Advice to Management

Look at company sales goals more realistically.
    Find the bad apples and get them out. Regardless of whether they are good producers or not they bring everyone down.
    Make sure you do not lose the human aspect of the company as that is what makes it a nice place to work.

6. Great Company & Workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson National Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm quite impressed with this company. Compared to other places I've worked, JeffNat surpases them all. The environment is laid-back, yet professional. Management are personable, yet focused, and they are always talking with people.

The benefits are very, well... benefiting. They take good care of us. There seem to be opportunities to grow. And they value everyone's input. Not just a one-man show kind of thing.

I can't say enough good about this place!

Cons

They feed us all the time. I'm gonna get fat.

Haha. Kidding. I had to put some kind of con, right?

7. I've enjoyed my time here at Jefferson National. I've been working here over a year.

Current Employee - Territory Consultant in Louisville, KY

Pros

It's a great starting salary for a sales position. You're paid to learn/study the ins and outs of the annuity and financial industry for the first 6 months while studying for your Series 6, 63, and Life Insurance license. You're then assigned a territory and territory manager. When you begin in your area, you are responsible for organizing the CRM system and making prospecting calls to financial advisors. The great thing about Jefferson National is that we have a financial product that advisors actually want to hear about. I'd say that 50% of the advisors I've gotten on the phone have actually been willing hear what we have to offer, while the other half unfortunately think we're an insurance company. Once you begin to develop your sales techniques and ability to have conversations with these advisors, it becomes fun and begins to pay off from the quarterly bonus potential. I honestly feel lucky to have begun working here right out of college, as I think it's a great first step into the financial sales industry.

Cons

There are a lot of changes happening currently, especially in the sales department. I think frustration is beginning to set in for TCs that think they should have been promoted long ago. I believe this is because the hiring process lead us to believe that becoming a Territory Manager would take place in 2 years. I understand the frustration, but I also don't think you can just expect to be handed a position because of tenure. They should probably put forth the effort that shows they want to succeed or choose a different path. Management does seem to lack focus at times (especially with the current increase in employee turnover), but they're great when you need help with anything and are probably best managers I've ever had in terms of being approachable and their accessibility.

Advice to Management

I think you should address these "frustrated TCs" more directly and either offer further training or recommend that they look at other career paths. I also think you play favorites with Territory Managers more than what I would call acceptable. I know that I would be taking a closer look at the effort that some of them bring to the table, especially when we are in a crunch to get back to our sales goal. I believe we can get back on track with our flow of productivity once the sales team changes are final, but focus and prioritization are key.

Great company - wish things had worked out

I worked at Jefferson National Financial

Pros

The company is growing and has outstanding leadership that really knows the VA industry. They take almost a "Progressive Insurance" view of their product when it comes to fees and expenses. The office itself is one of the most appealing I've been around. Great first job for younger finance grads. High goals set for sales really inspire competitive individuals. Culture of learning -- they prioritize education.

Cons

Moderate turnover in sales department resulting in good people leaving. Operations needs more help. Good people with more work than they can effectively handle. IT staff also shorthanded.

Advice to Management

I think a scaled back product offering would make things clearer for customers. It just seems like things with MA are really complex where they don't need to be especially with the tools we give to advisors.

9. Great management

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

Great sales director now for Territory Managers
    Laid back atmosphere
    Relaxed dress code (shorts, t-shirt, etc.)
    Decent pay

Cons

Only 2 weeks of vacation per year
    No 401k match
    The technology is god awful
    Lots of kids right out of college in the Territory Consultant role who aren't very professional
    Some people don't take their work serious
    Owned by a private equity company who is trying to make the numbers look good so they can sell us off; they do this by placing unrealistic sales goals on the sales team and hiring way too many TM's and TC's
    Territories keep getting cut down, but sales quotas don't change to reflect the smaller territories
    No growth potential; at some point you'll cap out on your comp and that number is getting lower and lower as more people work the same # of territories

Advice to Management

If you're going to make our territories smaller, adjust the comp so we're not negatively impacted
    Don't be afraid to cut people lose who aren't working as hard as they should be

my experience

I worked at Jefferson National Financial

Pros

- company size (small and personable)
    - innovative company (able to stay competitive with larger players within the financial industry)

Cons

- not a lot of growth opportunities
    - communication

Advice to Management

find ways to better communicate with all employees

RSS Feed </> Embed