Jeg's Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.0

Edward Coughlin

A great experience in the area of high performance parts and accessories selling to the racing community

Current Employee - Supervisor/Manager  in  Delaware, OH
    Current Employee - Supervisor/Manager in Delaware, OH

I have been working at Jeg's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you have a passion for high performance automotive, this is a great place to work. Good benefits including profit share and possible monthly bonuses

Cons

Hours required to work depending on the job requirements and increased demands and stress during the busy season with reduced coverage

Always be a step ahead of the game regarding foreseeing the proper amount of employment coverage and solving/correcting opportunities at the macro level.

The worst experience of my professional life.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Delaware, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time for less than a year

Pros

The building was new, and the computers were new. If you ever needed a new mouse or any other piece of equipment it was ordered , no questions asked.

Cons

Where do I start? First a bit of background:

I was brought in as a full time, perminant employee in their corporate office (to not be too specific). Aka I was not in the shipping area or call center. I was brought in to produce work for them that would help sell their products to customers. I was hired to do said projects on my own, but later found out they hired another person to help the company out as well.

My manager did his best to protect us from the owners and upper management, to be fair. In fact he almost lost his job doing so on two occasions. The company is run by a handful of brothers who inherited the family company from their aging father. The business experience of these brothers combined would make a typical college grad look like a bloody genius in comparison. They refuse any ideas from anyone, despite their lack of business experience, and just want worker drones to obey their orders. Even if its to help them walk the company off the side of a cliff. Standing up to these "men" is what almost got my boss fired.

But enough about him. I was brought in from another stable job to work at Jegs in 2013. I was drawn in by an increase in salary, and I wish I was never drawn in by the proposal.

They asked for the impossible. Our small group worked tirelessly to meet some of the most ridulous deadlines I've ever seen, and I've worked with fortune 500 companies who have high demands. It didn't help that our manager was fighting too many PR battles with the owners to help work on the projects along side us.

The owners and upper management seem very friendly at first. My first week there I thought I'd hit a gold mine of a company. But that quickly changed once you were warned by fellow co workers it was all fake. They're all two faced, and I didn't believe it until it was too late. Half my department was looking for new employment. The worst part of the company was the constant rumors spread around, which sadly most were true. Every time you heard a ridiculous rumbling about one of the owners, you'd see it happen before your eyes the next week. The one in charge of our department was addicted to drugs. This is the level of crazy we're talking about!

Despite these impossible deadlines, somehow my team pulled through. Much to the satisfaction of my manager, we completed three major projects in succession while meeting out deadlines and data requirements.

To put it modestly I was very proud. Despite the crazy rollercoaster of rumors, deadlines, and odd management decisions, we made it! Or so I thought.

This is when the brothers thought it would be wise to undercut Summit Racing, the Walmart sized titan of the industry. Instead of offering free shipping on orders a hundred dollars and up, they simply offered free shipping on everything. Their lack of common sense showing, they didn't seem to realize that customers would stop buying parts in bulk, and they immediately started losing massive amounts of money. You see, if you sell a two dollar wrench and offer free ten dollar shipping, you're out eight bucks. Take that times a few hundred thousand and you get the picture.

Instead of going back to standard shipping rates, they decided to cut the labor force. Despite the fact the other worker that was hired AFTER me never attended a single racing event, nor worked on any of the major projects that were the bulk of our production, they kept that person and laid me off only a few measle months into my tenure because my bosses boss thought she "would fit better". In reality I knew that person made ten thousand less than me. It was all about the dollar.

I loved the job and dedicated myself to the company, even when it was clear the company wasnt what was advertised. What followed my swift departure was the darkest period of my life. It was the first (and pray only) time id ever been in unemeployent in my 8 years of work in my field. We had to sell our house, and were lucky enough to barely slip through before caving completely into poverty by finding another position out of state, with a company that's run like a NORMAL place, with smart people making the business decisions, and making sure everyone has secure employment.

I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. I wouldnt recommend this place even to someone desperate for work. This place makes those lucky enough to float under the radar for years on end need to take medication to cope with the pressure and the bull, and those new only happy until their positions are determined to be expendible to make up for terrible business decisions.

Ironically, they still offer free shipping. Despite the company sinking, they refuse to change their ways and admit they made a bad decision. They'll be bankrupt before you know it. And considering how many shopping trips their wives go on every week around the globe, it'll be sooner than you think.

Bring in people who know what they're doing, and if not, if you mess up, take it out of your own salaries instead of laying off the best wormers your company has ever been blessed with.

I only feel sorry for my feelow coworkers who suffered along side me. I hope they all got out and\or found work after getting thrown out the door.

STAY AWAY.

The worst experience of my life.

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Delaware, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount was good until they reduced it such to make more profit to compensate for the failure that is free shipping on all orders. I made lots of contacts that allowed myself to move on to a much better company.

Cons

The most abusive relationship of any kind that I have endured. I would wish this kind of treatment and disrespect on no one. 50% turn over in the three years I was there.

Treat your employees fair, they are the key to your success.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It sucks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Delaware, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delaware, OH

I have been working at Jeg's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good hours, attendance policy and benefits not to bad

Cons

Poor management, to much gossip from the supervisors. They just can't keep anyone's personel life or issues to there selves. So much turnover with help.

To put a lease on management from telling everyone, someone's personal business. Put a little more trust in there employees rather than some of the managers. Some of them will lie to cover there own butt.

Don't sell your self short. All employees or coworkers hate there job but feel stuck!

Former Employee - Warehouse/Call Center  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Call Center in Columbus, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I sat here thinking - there was none.

Cons

This is a family owned business, however they take that to a new meaning and not in a good and caring way. At Jeg's you are your clock in #. The pay is good, however is it worth it if you are miserable and unhappy?
    The call center is horrible, I loved helping the customers and it showed in there response about how I handled there calls - A+ for me!
    However, you have to cover your bum, and document every little thing that you do for the customer or upper management could twist and manipulate. I recall a example which at the time I shook my head and listened in on a coworkers conversation with a boss. They did not like her tone - keep in mind this was a cute little old granny type who was always up beat and her voice like Anglia Lansbury- always nice sweet. They actually took her back into the training room to give her voice instructions.. lol The funny thing is she did nothing different and sounded the same...!!!
    Several times I caught upper management trying to frame me and say I did something wrong in an order- the cool thing is because I documented and made copies the ill attempts only showed there own insecurities and well made them look well- funny!!!
     I use to work in the warehouse and well - not much better -
    I would not recommend this job to anyone - keep looking and you will find something better!

LOL hmmmm- Don't be lazy- take the call, when the workers need you! Also, When I did my own biz my employees liked there position that's probably because of my approach and praise versus making a change then blaming them. After all what comes around goes around - so I really hope to the very few bosses who were good - cool and supportive- I wish good health - and all the positive blessings - now to the rest - I really prayed for you while my employment was with you- now you are removed not only from my prayers- but I feel great instead of unhappy. So Haha you are there and well I am off to open my new Biz. Thanks for the push!

Fun environment for car people - just know your place

Former Employee - Inventory Control  in  Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Inventory Control in Delaware, OH

I worked at Jeg's

Pros

Good people, fair benefits, neat environment, if you like performance cars - this is "Toy's R Us" for big kids.

Cons

You must know your place - unless you've been there 20+ years, don't try to express an opinion that may improve things, you are not yet to that level! If you are OK being a "worker bee" for that long and then being able to speak, you'll do fine!

Try bypassing some of the "good old boys" and listening to ALL your employees - some might surprise you with their insights!

Worked for Jeg's? Contribute to the Community!