Jelly Belly Candy

Updated December 3, 2014
2.9

Herman G. Rowland Sr.

I love my job!!

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a family owned company and they make all the employees feel like family

Cons

The time clock is a challenge if you clock in late :( but that is a minor thing compared to everything else

It SUCKS - Stressful,snappy peers,understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free coffee with expired candy to munch on in the break room. Love my Director,department is soooo under staffed. Never got trained almost been here a year just a paycheck. Morale sucks. Looks good on a resume

Cons

Timeclock must goooo - I live hr and 10 minutes away and everytime I'm late due to traffic related problems I receive a incident. If you get a dr's notice for being out 2 days they still give you a incident. you call in to be late,you still get a incident. It sucks working here because of that.

Should learn to train new people throughly,get rid of the timeclock punch in. I am looking to leave and its sad that this great company has this bad moral hanging over there heads.

A surprisingly rigid environment and low morale for a company that makes candy and there are few perks.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy full-time

Pros

As others have mentioned, highlights include what would be bare minimums in most other corporate environs: a variety of free hot coffee flavors in break rooms, name recognition to boost your resume when you inevitably quit or are fired, and a discount on candy. Above and beyond the bare minimums listed above, you also get a very nice discount on gym memberships, healthcare, dental, and vision insurance plans, a vested profit sharing schedule, and some of the fellow employees are decent people. Weekly, as opposed to bimonthly, paychecks are also nice.

Cons

The time clock issue is the shining star on the list of offenses. One minute late in the morning or coming back from lunch and HR documents it as an incident. Three of those is an unpaid suspension. Enough of these and you are fired - even at the corporate level. Not even a sick note from the doctor saves you from being served with an incident and you need to psychically predict that you will be ill and provide 48 hours notice to HR to avoid penalties. Ditto goes for if your kid is rushed to the ER or grandma kicks off. You also need to physically clock in and be sure to shove other people out of the way if you're nearing the one minute late mark. Beyond this issue, the pay is low and raises are a mythical creature/moving goal post. If the company fairs well especially one year, you hear that raises will come the year after (they don't, or are extremely low).

Take a cue from every other corporate work environment out there: the new (ish) time clock policy is absurd. It costs nothing to be more flexible as you already require that employees physically clock in and out. 5-15 minutes on either side of early or late is the standard and sick days should not be a reason for punishment/suspension within reasonable parameters. The loss of so many long time employees and an influx of new ones may superficially feel like an infusion renewed energy, but what you're actually getting is instability and people looking for the quickest way out. These aren't just high strung demands, genuinely talented, loyal people are poised to leave at the earliest opportunity.

Everyone keeps waiting for things to get better...

I worked at Jelly Belly Candy full-time

Pros

A free box of candy 3x a year.

Cons

If on the clock, there is no tolerance for lateness, missed clock punches, calling in sick. You are given 6 days of sick time per year, but if you use it, you will get an "incident." 3 incidents and you are given a verbal warning, then a written warning, then you have to take a day without pay, then you can get fired.

There are no perks or appreciation of their employees at this company.

Get out of your 1976 era and get into the 2014's! Get some fresh young college-educated management in there to bring up the moral and appreciate the talent that they have.

Time Clock 1 Employee 0

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The highly established brand. Quality product. Free coffee in break room and left over expired candy is major plus.

Cons

The time clock has chased all of the good people away. The pay is laughable.

Get rid of your Human Resources department, get some fresh blood in there that values employees and not the strict and idiotic timeclock as the end all be all. It demolishes productivity and morale.

Restrictive work policies and poor management

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The tiny E-Business development team is a great group.

The company has great name recognition.

If you enjoy working in a shrine to Ronald Regan and playing high school politics, this is the environment for you! If want to interface with an IT department run by “experts” that have been promoted way past their potential … you’ll feel right at home!

When it comes to annual bonuses, Jelly Belly refuses to be outdone. The wedge-shaped processed cheese (read ‘Velveeta’) wrapped in plastic paired with a fine grape juice Champagne in a gift box was exquisite. This gesture showed my entire team just how valued we were.

Cons

The company-at-large is run by managers that cannot be bothered with realistic project timelines or trusting the expertise of the staff they hired. The entire group will make decisions that will tank the business and then expect you to somehow meet unrealistic goals to make up the difference.

Hourly employees are subject to a draconian time clock.

Salaried employees are judged by the hours they work, not the results of their efforts.

Employees offering assistance outside their job role are isolated and treated as a threat by management and the incompetent staff they protect.

Morale is tanking and talent is fleeing the ship.

Listen to your professionals and accept reality. Stop driving out talent and coddling “B-Team” players. Remove managers that refuse to do their job and spend all day focusing on politics. Accept that the common denominator of failure is poor management instead of demonizing those who reveal this fact.

Great place to work fun I love it fun

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work the people are grea

Cons

None I can think of

Get more hours

low morale among workers / corporate dead end job

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount on candy at the retail store. Looks good on a resume. People will be impressed when you tell them where you work. Paid once a week.

Cons

In a nut shell:

Extreme micromanaging (and control) by upper management and the HR department. The work environment here is stifling. What matters most is that you are punctual with the time clock. The actual work you produce, experience that you may have or your drive to advance your career, none of that will matter here. The only thing that matters is that you are 100% punctual with the time clock. I have never in my life experienced working professionals in a corporate office subject to such a zero tolerance, ridiculous and insulting policy regarding clocking in. Morale at Jelly Belly is nonexistent. Most people are trying to get out, most just simply show up to work and phone it in. Very few people here (that I worked with) have any passion for the work they do. For almost everyone it's "just a paycheck".

Jelly Belly also treats is employees to no raises (despite receiving glowing performance reviews year after year), no bonus, and no chance of any career advancement. They would rather hire out, than promote from within. Health benefits are also expensive and are deducted from your check. Once you are in the position you are in there will be no leaving it, until you fine better employment elsewhere.

Unless you are absolutely desperate for work steer clear of working here. It's just not worth it.

Trust in the people you hire! Release control and let the talented people you hired do their jobs and contribute to the company! Fresh ideas are a good thing. Relax the clocking in policies, micromanaging and treating your employees like time stealing thieves does nothing but kill morale and everyones work ethics.

Another Brick in the Wall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Commute. Free Coffee in Breakrooms. Employee discount on items, and the occasion expired candy to munch on in the breakrooms.

Cons

Management is clueless. They fight amongst themselves incessantly, take credit for things they do no do. Act like impetulant children, instead of professionals.

Don't let human resources and the Union dictate your decisions. Obviously different needs are needed for different people, but getting a documented incident on record because I took a sick day seems illegal and immoral. Per the human resources, I must notify that I am going to be sick 24 hours in advance. And even then, I still get a documented incident on my record. The time clock has ruined morale, slowed production to halt. Maybe if this company was bought out by professionals, then it be could run it better, more professional. It would be nice to be treated as professional adults, and not as expendable numbers. That would go a long way. As it stands, most people are looking for an exit, to find new jobs. Maybe it would be better to pack this company up and move to Texas, so we can find real jobs for companies that truly care and not about the bottom line or trying to control people.

awasome place to work at

Current Employee - Materials Research in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Materials Research in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Sweet and sweetness can not be replaced, you are in heaven here.

Cons

Some sour balls at times

They are what keeps the engine going