Jenny Craig
www.jennycraig.com Carlsbad, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Jenny Craig Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Monty Sharma

Pros:
  • "Helping people change their lifestyles to achieve and maintain their weight loss goals"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Great/Healthy way to lose weight when the program is followed"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management does not care about your home life, not family friendly"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Manipulative Market Directors, long hours without lunches and low pay"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great for Clients, Bad for Employees

Program Consultant (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsHelping people reach their goals and change their unhealthy dieting habits. Clients rely heavily on the advice shared by consultants, which makes us feel golden.

ConsThe pay is pretty low. There are no perks, no recognition and no room for growth,

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should treat your consultants better, with better pay & recognition, especially since you claim they are the secret ingredient to the program!

Good place to start your business career, but don't expect much mobility

Center Director (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsThis place has a very friendly atmosphere and the clients are fantastic. It is amazing to watch clients go through a life-changing transformation.

ConsTraining is poorly thought out and the upper management doesn't really seem to care. They are focused more on hitting quotas and retaining clients than actually creating a healthy work environment. Salary is not great at all, and if you hate being put on the spot in front of everyone in a training/sales scenario, this is not the place for you. Calling you out in meetings is the crux of how they train sales with employees. I personally feel that humiliation is often the result and do not pursue this practice as a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay and benefits are rather sad in this company. If you increased pay and benefits, you would ultimately experience a lower turn-over rate. You would also have more driven employees. Also, training for sales and calls should be an individual training event between a manager and subordinate. Stop with the round-robins and group displays. It's not a productive practice and often alienates those that struggle instead of giving personal training and counseling in their weaker areas.

Emotionally Rewarding

Centre Director (Current Employee)

ProsThe program works! Becoming a cohesive weight loss program.

ConsUpper Management has no concept of employee engagement. There is not enough focus on celebrating the consultants (the core of the business). Time to increase wages and celebrate the hard work of this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to increase wages and celebrate the hard work of this position.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Thank You - Finally!

Jenny Craig Home Office Employee (Current Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsHelping clients lose weight, co-workers and work location.

ConsLots of changes without the test of time, management doesn't listen to employees, HR practices that make no sense and bossy people. But I'm going to give the new management a chance to make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for shedding the mean blonde duo at the top; they will not be missed and did not have the company's best interest in mind or any sense of professionalism, personal accountability or ethics. Talk about one covering for the other and then calling it legal - what a joke. We're in much better shape now. Nestle was fooled by them but thank goodness you weren't.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Confidence underminer

Centre Director (Former Employee)

ProsJenny Craig employees tend to be "people" persons, that is, they like and care about others, are warm and easy to get to know, and generally have a pretty good sense of humor. I met so many wonderful coworkers over my eight years with this company. Working toward goals and sales quotas both as individuals and as a team was stressful at times, but quite fun at others. Hearing client stories and motivations, and helping people make changes in their lives was rewarding.

ConsUpper management was completely disconnected from the front line. Trainings developed by home office were insulting and written as if they believed consultants were intellectually inferior. When delivering corporate written training to my staff, they generally became angered and saddened by the obviousness of how little upper management thought of them and their intelligence. Mid level managers focused on role play, role play, role play for how to handle working with clients, but most times were completely inept and off-putting in their interaction with real life customers. The sad thing is, most employees at this company truly believe in the weight loss program, but have no respect for the company or the way it has been run. There is no room for creativity or critical thought. You go along with what the completely out of touch management team spouts, or you are targeted for removal. It is little wonder to me that this company continues to perform so poorly. They are completely out of touch with what customers and employees want. Hence the Mariah Carey debacle of a few years back.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over your insecurity and actually listen to the people doing the job from which you have completely insulated yourselves. You would never use the dialog you expect staff to use if you were truly interacting with a customer. Spend more money on market research and make smarter decisions. Stop trying to be everything to everyone, pick a target demographic and market to that.

An OK company

Weight Loss Consultant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros30hrs is full time, discount on food

ConsScheduling can be tough with split shifts being very common. Management is often terrible within this company. Hard to advance

Worthy and challenging.

ProsRewarding service and support to help clients and staff experience personal success.

ConsNumerable change of corporate ownership since Jenny and Sid Craig started program. Some values changed or lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop losing great employees...create realistic salary ranges that reflect performance and skills.

Program Director/Consultant

Program Consultant (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsI loved working with the clients. It was an incredible experiece and honor to be so intimately involved in someone's life long struggles and challenges. You really can make a huge difference in someone's life just by caring enough to listen and acknowedge their story.

ConsJenny Craig as a company is one of the most poorly run and mismanaged company I have ever worked for so far. They do not respect their employee's at all, the pay is only minimum wage or slightly above but I will say that their medical/dental benefits were pretty good. No dought, because Jenny Craig is owned by Nestle' Corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management would treat their employees' with some respect and pay them what they are worth, they would probably attract more loyal employees that would be willing to give 110%.....what a concept!

Not promising

Carlsbad, CA

Prosgenerally have worked with great people, the company itself is fantastic, and really does help people lose weight and change their lives.

ConsChanges in senior leadership, & ownership have led to a very conflicted and intensely ambiguous work environment. Continual restructuring, and downsizing have increased the work-load for many, causing increased stress and decreased motivation.

Used to be a great place work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe clients are amazing, and you really do help change lives. Have learned a lot about listening to what people really need/ want.

ConsThings change all the time. We are expected to do more without be compensated for the extra work. They do not value their front line. The commission scale and base pay has not been adjusted in years. Can not afford to live on own or without a second job working here. IT seems like the company does not know where it's going anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your consultants, we are the front line when it comes to dealing with clients. Change can be good, but so much change without compensation is not so good. Do something to show you care about who works here.

Worked for Jenny Craig? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jenny Craig reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jenny Craig CEO Monty Sharma. All 222 reviews posted anonymously by Jenny Craig employees.