Jenny Craig

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.2

Monty Sharma

Pros
  • Helping people to reach their goals is a wonderful experience (in 45 reviews)

• All employees receive a good opportunity to lose weight on the Jenny Craig program (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Training is poorly thought out and the upper management doesn't really seem to care (in 27 reviews)

• Our center director doesn't really motivate us just wants to be our friend more (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Company treats their employees like "CRAP"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig

Pros

Helping client who are struggling with their weight!

Cons

This company SUCKS.....I was a Consultant 10 years and I stayed because my heart was sympathetic to helping people. The base salary was horrible and you maybe got a .2cent pay raise every couple years. Management truly does not care about their employees (especially the consultants), who pay the salary of the fat cats in corporate. We had no voice and were NEVER appreciated or valued as an employee. It was like working in a sweat shop in a 3rd world country. No one and I mean No one ever listened to suggestions or recommendations we heard as consultants directly from our clients. They did NOT care or give a Damn.....all they cared about was making quota to fill the pockets of the fat cats in corporate.

Why would I give advice to Management when they have deaf ears....YOU NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping the clients with losing weight.

Cons

Very demanding schedule, have to be available 7 days a week open to close. Unrealistic sales goals, want you to push product on clients even when not beneficial to them.

Focus more on the client and less on sales goals. They are real people struggling, not a dollar sign.

Cheap company who doesn't care about their employees or their clients.

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Making relationships with clients over time, watching them reach milestones or even hit their goal was very rewarding. The job itself is extremely easy as well.

Cons

Sorry this is lengthy, but I might as well dump it all out there...

The program itself…
    Calories in vs. calories out is the key to weight loss. Jenny Craig prides itself on being balanced in terms of calories, fats, carbohydrates, proteins etc. For the most part, the Jenny Craig lifestyle is healthy and you are eventually supposed to be able to eat non-Jenny foods on your own and still maintain your weight. My biggest issues with the program were,
    A.) We were told that things like diet soda and other artificial sweeteners are "Free foods" (meaning you can eat them as much as you want, at any time). Same with ketchup.. (I get it- tomatoes. But some ketchup is loaded with high fructose corn syrup and other sugars.) I was never comfortable passing this information onto other people. It may be way better than their habits before, depending on the person, but regardless- diet sodas and other artificial sweeteners are just as bad as regular sugar, if not worse.
    B.) Jenny Craig uses a very basic way to calculate how many calories people should be consuming-- the BMI scale. While the BMI scale is helpful, its a very, very broad and general scale which does not take into account how much muscle or fat somebody has. Yes, most people on Jenny Craig have excess fat, obviously. However, if you go to a dietitian, chances are they will be able to tell you percentages of your muscle mass, fat mass, water mass, etc--- If Jenny Craig wants to be a reliable weight loss company in terms of giving people REAL results each week, they should upgrade on getting a scale which can determine these things! Somebody can drink a glass of water before their weigh in and be up a pound. I think people would be MUCH more impressed and motivated to see other numbers drop, like their fat mass--- not just a number on a scale, which can be extremely discouraging and misleading.

The job…
    I suppose it really depends on which center you are working for. Mine in particular was fairly slow. There wasn't much to do during down time if the products were all stocked, other than bugging former clients over the phone, practically begging them to come back (which I hardly ever did, truthfully, because I never got any positive feedback from doing so.) Chances are, they left for a reason. Too pricy, not enough support, lack of motivation, got bored of the same foods on the menu, didn't see results (likely due to the fact that we do not offer more information than a number on a scale each week), etc, etc. I get that this company is a business- but clients know when they are not appreciated and are only seen as a dollar sign.

The pay…
    The compensation is pretty ridiculous. Started off at $9 an hour plus commission off of food sales and program sales. Recently, they came out with this "brilliant" new compensation plan that sounded good to some of us at first, but of course only became a huge disappointment. Depending on which market you were in, if you were getting paid $9 an hour, it got bumped up to $12-$13 something but took away commissions. However, they raised the bonus scale, which really ended up looking like it would work out in my favor. That was until they decided to cut all of our hours. (Mind you-- "full time" at Jenny Craig is considered anything above 30 hours-- and it rarely exceeded 32, at least in the center I belonged to.) There were different levels of bonuses depending on how many hours an individual worked. In order to make sure none of us would ever receive a full bonus, they put all of our hours just below that limit. Starting to see how cheap and selfish this company is? No? Let me continue. I believe $15 an hour that is the highest a consultant can be paid, depending on how long they've been there. By taking away THESE peoples' commissions- AND reducing their hours… WITHOUT giving them any pay raise… do you see how hard they jipped the consultants who have been there the longest? If anything, you think the Jenny Craig company would be THANKFUL that someone bothered staying there so long considering the way they treat their employees! Also consider the fact that you have to have a certain amount of hours on average to receive any sort of medical benefits.

I get that this is a business, and they need to be profitable. But Jenny Craig will only continue to go in this downward spiral if changes aren't made. I didn't even last a year because I was completely wasting my time- and from what management has told me themselves- not many people do last longer than a year. That's why they introduced their "amazing" new pay scale in the first place- to trick people into thinking they weren't wasting their time in this place. It's crazy to me that they don't seem to care much about losing their consultants- because ultimately, WE are a huge motivator for clients to continue coming. We build relationships with these people, and we care about them. I was so sorry to leave this company and say goodbye to all of my clients. Especially because I understand that some clients get attached to their consultants, and aren't likely to return once their consultant leaves. You think Jenny Craig would take that into consideration when they think about how many employees leave before their first year is even up.

If Jenny Craig were to focus more on giving their clients what they want, as well as listening to employees and not wasting time running business to business handing out fliers… they might see a difference. A good company doesn't have to harass or trick people into becoming clients. A good company would know that if they really, really are a good company, clients will come by themselves after seeing some actual advertising. Maybe put out a commercial? Seriously. Going door to door is annoying and nobody appreciates that, ever.

I am so happy I left this company, aside from missing my clients. I encourage all consultants who are not making enough money to pay their bills to find something better. I also sincerely warn everyone who is considering applying for this job, that if you are looking for steady hours and decent pay, this is not the place. If you don't require much income or are only looking for a part time job, you may find this job rewarding.

You're losing your best employees. Their clients will likely leave with them eventually. Make it worth your employees' time to bother coming to work. The new compensation plan is just insulting, especially to senior consultants.

You offer a scale that shows body fat mass, water mass, muscle mass etc- so WHY not incorporate one into every center so that clients can see where their weight is going, or coming from? Is it water retention? How can we provide a proper consultation without knowing exactly where their weight has gone up or down from?

Your loosing your best employees!

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

New Management is seeing the vision of the company. they got rid of most of their narcissistic managers. Meeting new people and helping them with their weightloss.

Cons

hours being cut, commission taken away, compensation unfair, no advancement. clients favorite foods are being taken away.

START ADVERTISING AND STOP CUTTING OUR HOURS! OUTSIDE MARKETING IS A WAISTE OF TIME! 20LBS FOR $20! THEY STILL CALL ABOUT THAT!

Company doesn't care about employees just bottom line

Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training pay is awesome at $16/hr and I love being able to help people lose weight, and feel better about themselves

Cons

Hours are being cut - full time employees becoming part time due to lack of clients. You spend hours on the phone harassing old client to come back. Employees fight amongst each other over clients in order to make commission. Management doesn't do their job and fail to help their employees in anything but criticizing.
    Until the new year, consultants are earning $9.50/hr plus commission.

Management needs to focus on actually helping their employees gain and keep clients. More customer service calls when clients quit and they need to stop handing over irate customers to their low level employees.

Company will be out of business soon...

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Developing relationships with clients and fellow co-workers. Many of my co-workers whom I have had the pleasure of working alongside, have many talents and strengths they are wasting in a dead end job. We have all tried to tough it out through the challenging times the company has seen but most are realizing they deserve better.

Cons

Low pay. When I say low, I mean very close to poverty level. Most employees (center management and below) can not live off of the salary they are paid. There has been a recent change in the compensation plan in which both center managers and consultants will be taking pay decreases. This company has been losing money year over year and now centers have unrealistic targets to hit because the company has not been profitable for some time. Most current employees are searching for other employment because so many people are unhappy. Also, no room to grow within the company anymore as they are restructuring and cutting out positions left and right.

Too many new changes that are not beneficial to field employees. You are pushing loyal and over qualified employees out the door by making them feel disposable and devalued. Wake up people, that's not how you save a sinking ship! Jenny has seen its day. Time to move on.

Love the job itself. The company has taken a huge turn in the wrong direction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Jenny Craig

Pros

What we do every day is fantastic. The people i work with are caring and motivated.

Cons

Pay, turnover, morale, slow business

Pay attention to why some of your best employees are leaving

Difficult

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The clients is what made the job fun. The consultant and client equally cared about each other.

Cons

The new pay structure sent me packing. The management is terrible and needs training on how to properly treat and keep employees. The management also needs to treat clients properly.

Let your employees learn and develop at their own pace. Let employees develop dialogue that is comfortable for them. Don't demand perfection because no one is perfect. Don't discuss employees with other employees. It causes conflict in the office. Be a professional center director and treat everyone with respect, especially if that is how you want to be treated. Don't micromanage your employees. If you don't like your job as a center director, get a different one; don't take it out on the employees.

Too many good people stuck in a bad situation

Current Employee - IT Department in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are genuinely good people working at Jenny - they are the reason I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Bad pay, long hours, no room for growth, gross mismanagement.

Lighten up, let people have a little fun.

No support from local leaders

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the people. The employees and the members were great.

Cons

There is no support from management. Pay changes mean lower pay and less hours. They expect employees to work open to close 6-7 days a week and be grateful when sent home on 3 hour breaks.

Rethink the local management structure. Evaluate not only employees but allow employees to evaluate their managers to let corporate know where things need to change instead of allowing managers to pull the wool over corporates eyes when they walk in.

Jenny Craig Photos