Jenny Craig

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
2.2

Monty Sharma

Pros
  • Helping people to reach their goals is a wonderful experience (in 44 reviews)

• All employees receive a good opportunity to lose weight on the Jenny Craig program (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Training is poorly thought out and the upper management doesn't really seem to care (in 27 reviews)

• Very low pay for the job we did (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Difficult

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The clients is what made the job fun. The consultant and client equally cared about each other.

Cons

The new pay structure sent me packing. The management is terrible and needs training on how to properly treat and keep employees. The management also needs to treat clients properly.

Let your employees learn and develop at their own pace. Let employees develop dialogue that is comfortable for them. Don't demand perfection because no one is perfect. Don't discuss employees with other employees. It causes conflict in the office. Be a professional center director and treat everyone with respect, especially if that is how you want to be treated. Don't micromanage your employees. If you don't like your job as a center director, get a different one; don't take it out on the employees.

No support from local leaders

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the people. The employees and the members were great.

Cons

There is no support from management. Pay changes mean lower pay and less hours. They expect employees to work open to close 6-7 days a week and be grateful when sent home on 3 hour breaks.

Rethink the local management structure. Evaluate not only employees but allow employees to evaluate their managers to let corporate know where things need to change instead of allowing managers to pull the wool over corporates eyes when they walk in.

Too many good people stuck in a bad situation

Current Employee - IT Department in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are genuinely good people working at Jenny - they are the reason I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Bad pay, long hours, no room for growth, gross mismanagement.

Lighten up, let people have a little fun.

Working in my centre is wonderful, but working under the corporate management is a nightmare.

Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Jenny Craig part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love getting to know the clients, and celebrating their successes with them. My coworkers are also some of the most amazing people I've ever had the opportunity to work with. My job is pretty much to facilitate everyone else's jobs, which I like because it means I get to help people help people! What can be better than that?

Cons

Every time I hear something from corporate, or from an operations manager, or from any other manager, it always gives me a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. Emails from higher-ups are insulting, either because they are actually flat-out insulting everyone in the centre, or because they are assuming that everyone in the centre is braindead. All of the actually important information in any corporate communication gets drowned out by pages and pages of noninformation, to the point where my coworkers actually started asking me to write single-page breakdowns that we started calling "cheat sheets". I also had to keep an updated list of all of the new and ongoing promotions, along with their associated product and discount codes, because we were only ever given the codes for each promotion as they came up; there was no single reference for all of the current codes. Our centre's director has been largely absent ever since she took on the title; I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I have seen her in the centre. While this means that our centre is often completely out of such trivialities as sellable products, printer ink, and toilet paper, her presence only creates a more stressful work environment. She is constantly telling me that my job is unnecessary, and if I ask her for any information, her answer is that it's "none of my concern". She's worse on the phone, though: one time I had to call her to ask her what to do about a $300 discrepancy in inventory, and she yelled at me over the phone, asking me how I dared to call her on what I hadn't known was her day off; I was literally in tears by the time she hung up on me. Our previous centre directors weren't much better, causing my coworkers to wonder why Jenny Craig seems to only promote the power-hungry. The pay structure has recently changed for the worse, too: when I was hired more than a year ago, I was told that I would start at $10/hour, and would have a pay evaluation once a year. My one-year anniversary came right after the pay structure changed in a way that eliminated pay evaluations, as well as pay raises for Customer Service Coordinators. (Well, it *might* have. When I asked my centre director if I was getting a pay raise after working there for a year, she said she didn't know if CSC's got pay raises anymore, so she wasn't going to give me one.) Quota bonuses have also gone down significantly: the only way to get a quota bonus equal to the previous one is to exceed quota by more than 125%; every other bonus is up to almost 30% less than it used to be. (Yes, I did the math.) When the centre director decided to cut my hours back to 1/3 of what they were, I was given less than 12 hours notice of the change before it went into effect; when she laid me off the very next week, I was given less than a week's notice. When I asked if I could stay employed if I trained as a consultant, since one of our consultants is retiring at the end of the month, the centre director said that she was trying to preserve the other consultants' jobs, first, so she was going to ask a consultant from another centre to replace the one retiring at ours. I guess she couldn't help telling me I was worthless to her, just one last time.

APPRECIATE YOUR EMPLOYEES. Seriously, I could have happily worked through anything you threw at me, if you just gave me one tiny reason to think that the effort was appreciated. My coworkers were great about supporting each other, but not once was there ever a hint of anything similar from those higher up. In fact, it was whenever we heard from management that we often needed to support each other the most. So yeah, appreciate your employees, at least enough to trust them when they tell you that the centre is almost out of toilet paper.

Program Director

Former Employee - Program Director
    Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Monthly training Sessions for all Program Directors

Cons

Pay sucks for pd's if you don't have people coming to start up again or to start. You rarely get to see clients that you started up unless it is to renew their memberships. Management has unrealistic goals as far as monthly sales go unless your in a highly populated health conscious area. They also don't actually care about what will help the customers, instead its all about only jenny products and how to take more of their money. Monthly meetings were a joke where they tell you about what areas are doing the best and tell you that you need to do better, everyone is fake in their intent and it's a day of management attempting to improve sales by calling out what has worked in the past.

Company philosophy is failing big time. No one makes decent money unless they are management. You cut back hours for program directors and consultants when those are the people who keep centers going instead of changing the business plan. My center closed shortly after I left because there weren't enough people coming through the doors and that will continue to happen all over.

Employee for 10 yrs in New Jersey market

Current Employee - JCC
    Current Employee - JCC

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helping clients get to an maintain there goal weight. Some times being a therapist to my clients as well as a friend.

Cons

Very underpaid, not getting reconnized for the hard work an dedication that you gave to the company. With the new compensation plan I will be making $7,000 less then the previous year an about $20,000 less from 4 yrs ago. An now after 10 yrs you can no longer get a raise. The worst thing is I will be making the same compensation as some consultants who didn't have clients . As well as some centers who should have closed down already.

Pay the Jcc's individually by there hard work and dedication and there clientele . Because not every employee made money for the company. Some were just skating by for a paycheck

Micromanaged, horrible scheduling practices, expendable sales staff

Current Employee - Program Director in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Program Director in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Help people try to lose weight.
    Pay for mileage for my position

Cons

Not enough pay for the work expectations.
    Not much room for advancement.
    Non-managerial staff was treated as if they had no life outside of JC.

Don't complain right along with the staff.

Company doesn't care much for its employees

Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Jenny Craig part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, except when understaffed and you can't take time off.

Cons

Terrible pay. Constant restructuring. Short staffed

Those of us that work in the centers love what we do and believe in what we do. You need to take a good look at your area market directors, etc...they do not care about anything but the numbers.

great

Current Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Jenny Craig part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good money and nice people.

Cons

too many lazy ppl in the department.

Truth be told!

Current Employee - Center Director
    Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the opportunity to help change peoples lives. Teaches skill set in sales and valued service. Take the opportunity to absorb techniques to use in every day life and for advancement.

Cons

Changes!...hmmm..what company has not been evaluating their best financial and strategic moves to support the constant changes in their business. Is there really a company that has started paying their employees more in the midst of rebuilding their empire? No! All Employees need to have faith and pride in what they do and why they do it! The expectations of some individuals are unrealistic as it is. Reap what you sew..you get what you give.. what happened to hard work? My cons are not with the company..we all have choices where we want to be. .my cons are in the negative. ..especially when we preach progress not perfection. ...remember?

If anything maybe being a little more transparent. Allowing employees at all levels to have a voice. Letting them in a little more.Its like being a parent. .. when our child gets in trouble we will defend them automatically ..all the way to the end. However, if we find out they were withholding information we don't feel so good about that. Just something to think about.
    And only complaint I have. .health care..crazy expensive and huge deductibles. The way it was handled this year was not the best at all. Can we maybe have options of who we would like to go through?

Jenny Craig Photos