Jenzabar Reviews

Bob Maginn Jr.

Company that Cares

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Jenzabar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Jenzabar for over 5 years. Throughout my time at the company, both the leadership team and colleagues have shown that they care about my success. My teammates truly want me to succeed and we help each other achieve our goals. It is a busy yet enjoyable place to work because we are all in it together. The work/life balance here is a best practice for other companies to follow.

Cons

The candy in the office is very tempting :)

A Minefield

I worked at Jenzabar (More than a year)

Pros

Can work from home once a week. Plenty of chances to improve on current products. Passionate co-workers.

Cons

No raises. Limited career ladder. No comprehensive direction from senior management. Utilizing outdated technologies. Decision makers seem content with a mediocre product, and mediocre management.

Advice to Management

Leverage your competitive advantage, and align future goals with it. All strategies and products should focus on that goal. Hire people who have done their appointed job, and have done it successfully (and check references).

Great Atmosphere and Colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Jenzabar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work atmosphere is incredibly laid back...they are very into promoting self efficacy (aka NO MICROMANAGING!!!). I've heard of work environments such as these...like Google...Facebook....I just never knew they could exist in a more rural area w/a smaller corporation. Boy was I wrong! :) With that said, usually work environments such as this, there is a concern for no productivity (i.e. employees taking advantage of the entrusting management), however, here everyone does their part and are extremely hard workers. Of course..they aren't all work and no play...there's a fun nice dynamic among the employees. Very professional, no animosity, no gossiping (this was a breath of fresh air as well.) They do birthday lunches, provide complimentary breakfast every so often, and always have free snacks in the kitchen. All in all, Jenzabar really puts their employees first and believes in the importance of work-life-balance. Excellent company!

Cons

With the office setting being in cubicle form...you don't always get the socialization you would like (especially as a newbie)...makes it kind of hard to meet people/get to know people outside of your department/team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! You are proof the more a company cares/invests in their employees, the more successful they can become!

You can do better than Jenzabar

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Jenzabar (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people below the executive level seem to work well in the confines they are given. Your job is generally secure. Work from home policy can't be beaten. Great place to start your career.

Cons

No raises, cost-of-living or otherwise. Don't expect a raise or any transparency about how your bonus was calculated. Wants senior employees at junior salary levels. No career path; they'd rather hire someone from the outside than promote within. CEO is more concerned with his struggling political aspirations than running his company properly. Cronyism at the top levels.

Advice to Management

Fire all of the senior VPs and hire execs who aren't just yes-men jockeying for position. Invest the money you put towards your political interests into your employees and build a business that will grow rather than just get by on what it already has. Innovate rather than just being.

Aolot of upside

Pros

I feel the employees are appreciated but not in a public forum. Great flexibility for family balance

Cons

Compensation structure is confusing, we received salary increases for first time last year, while it was appreciated it was small. On the other hand our bonuses have gone up year after year so I am making more money just not guaranteed

Advice to Management

More transparency on compensation

Senior Business Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Northampton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Northampton, MA

I have been working at Jenzabar (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work place flexibility. Opportunity to learn new technology on your own. Some great people on the lower tier to work with.

Cons

Little to none manager supervision. No real team environment, lack of resource coordination. Often left out of the loop on key decisions.

Advice to Management

Require all mangers to have at least monthly meetings with their staff. VPs need to have regular meetings with ALL of their staff to communicate direction and goals.

unfavorable outlook

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Jenzabar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedules Overall good people

Cons

Regular change of priorities, and often without sharing those changes with the entire team. Additionally, there was no plan in reaching the set goals, although the goals were in constant flux. I believe the lack of leadership is largely the downfall of poorly designed, executed and released products. We rarely saw the leadership, especially those from the home office location. There is no accountability, and those who continually make bad decisions are permitted to stay and make more.

Advice to Management

The CEO may want to reconsider trusting his leadership and start looking at the real reasons why the products are not successful. I also believe that changing the direction of who JX will target as a niche market is a bad idea. Stick with the schools who are loyal. I wish them well for the sake of the client institutions.

One Serious Political Cluster (with great products and many many talented and wonderful folks)

I worked at Jenzabar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a very good overall experience at Jenzabar. This was my first corporate job and I learned a great deal. Healthy company $. Good benefits and time-off policies. A nice culture. The sales staff is strong and passionate. I WOULD recommend this company to a friend, depending on what they were looking for.

Cons

C-level insanity. HR is terrified of litigation, needs to look a little closer to home and let employees who actually do their jobs well to do them. I applied to this company even though it wasn't a great cultural fit because I wanted to work for and be part of an organization lead by a strong and revolutionary woman, wow.

Advice to Management

I don't have experience managing at the executive level. My feeling was that we were cogs essential to the revenue stream, unfortunately necessary--certainly not respected on any level. Political contributions yes, cost of living raises, no.

Management does not appreciate their people.

Pros

Awesome benefits! Relatively low stress only because of the manager I had. If you have a good manager you have it made. Good work life balance and flexible schedule. Casual dress code. Loved the people in the office I worked in. My team members were great.

Cons

Salaries are well below market value. No raises since have been given out since 2008, unless you are on a team that deemed important by the company. Jenzabar instead has a bonus plan which is a complete joke. No one understands the plan and most of the time if a written plan is even given out to employees, it is 6 or 9 months into the year. Senior Management for the most part does not listen to the employees and they fight amongst themselves. They are all out for each other. CEO is clueless as to how to treat the employees in his company. He is more concerned about politics than his employees. He does not value the hard work and dedication of long term employees or any employee really. Jenzabar has several bad managers that are dragging the company down and no one does anything to stop these situations.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees have to say. You might learn something. Reward your employees for their hard work. Yearly raises are important to an employee's self worth and motivation to do a good job. In my time at Jenzabar I worked with a lot of great people who work very hard to make the company sucessful. I have seen many of them defeated because of how they are treated. Your bonus plan is a joke.

Bleeding Clients - can't last long

I have been working at Jenzabar (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some good and committed people in certain roles.

Cons

Can't manage their way out of a paper bag. Have been bleeding clients since Jenzabar got into the higher ed ERP business in 2000. Mismanaged evolution away from six different ERP/SIS systems. CEO more interested in politics than leading the company.

Advice to Management

Dump CEO, eliminate silos of self-interest in different product line groups. Put together a coherent product plan to serve increasingly anxious client base.

RSS Feed </> Embed