Jeppesen Sanderson

Updated December 10, 2014
2.9

Jeppesen Sanderson President and CEO Mark Van Tine
Mark Van Tine

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most places (in 11 reviews)

• Being part of the Boeing family of companies does lead to good benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The good ole boys network of top heavy senior management needs to be shaken up (in 8 reviews)

• Individuals contributors are held accountable for their deliverables, but managers are not (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Little opportunity for a meaningful career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time

Pros

* Salaries are very competitive for the industry
    * Medical benefits are top notch
    * No pensions but there is a contribution to IRA based on age. 401K match of 75% up to 8% of salary
    * I cut my week off at 40 hours but the company expects more if there are deadlines to meet.
    * Paid holidays and incrementally increasing vacation with senority.
    In short - More hoops, a LOT more management and personally I'm burn out with no option for transfers or more challenging work

Cons

* The salary is good but since Boeing has exerted more control over the company the environment is deteriorating. My salary scale is a bit above average but I was informed by my manager that promotion wasn't possible short of a job change which seems to be difficult just short of impossible to obtain.
    * There is virtually no lateral career moves. I have applied for 21 internal positions in the company for jobs that I am currently working in with over 15 years of experience at in the last 3 years and was only able to get 3 interviews. I was informed by a manager that these were likely converting contractors to full time. I was approached by a contact company after going full time that there was a postion that I currently worked in available but I wasn't able to find this on the career site. I suspect that contract positions are opened with out opening this up to internal candidates. I'm heard similar comments from other workers and others who are reluctant to apply for a transfer for fear of retaliation. In short, this appears to me that employee transfers are rigorously controlled.
    * The group I'm in has a lot of favoritism in job assignments.
    * I had a minor surgery and requested temporary accomidations from my managers. Instead of letting me work at another job in our group that was less taxing I only given a option of a standing work station which wasn't a viable option. See issue above.

* Get rid of the excess managers that are a drain on the profit margins. 4 managers in a group of less than 15... REALLY. Way too much top level managers too.
    * Employees get burned out and need opportunities to get a job change. Locking people into a boring job only creates burnout and lowers productivity.
    * Stop the favoritism. Letting favorites grab all the better, higer visiblity job only creates dissention and alienation. This also creates repositories of expertise that are not shared and if the employee quits/dies/ or god forbid get a transfer much of this is lost. Currently I mentioned this as a risk to my manager and 6 months later nothing has changed.
    * Allowing personel to move to other positions can give more insight into better ways to address problems. I see little exchange of information on job skills and software knowledge. There is virtually no education other than company required information on discrimination, data breach, etc. computer based training.

Lacking strategic leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great colleagues, great location. It was nice having offices in Europe.

Cons

"Good ol' boys" running the show lacked strategic vision and the ability to transition the company from the paper maps / mail room mentality to a software and electronic data provider.

Pack up and go home and leave the task of transforming the company to people who know what they're doing and have the guts to drive lasting change.

Solid experience

Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Boeing Company
    Lots of good people to network with
    Opportunities to move around and try new things

Cons

Pay as a contractor was low
    Overall Contract management

Deliver a clearer message on the direction of the company.
    Recent mission presentation was way below sub par and a waste of time

Current Employee - Decline in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Decline in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hardworking lower level staff that puts up with bad management.

Cons

Too much politics.
    Dominated by white Males

Great while it lasted

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time

Pros

Great benefits, awesome salaries.

Cons

Leadership is a little foggy/unreliable. Lots of layoffs

Analyst - Temporary

Current Employee - Analyst in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good Company to work for, some opportunities for promotions/better jobs during my tenure, management was decent, didn't put to much pressure on our department and onsite food is great.

Cons

Has a corporate/"Office Space" type feel in the building, I worked a temporary position that was eventually layed off after a much shorter time than told, so any temp workers I suggest looking for permanant employment throughout job.

Changes job descriptions to weed out existing hard workers.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Englewood, CO

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice surroundings, very helpful co-workers, allowance for some levity and suggestions for improvement if a viable solution is offered along with the problem.

Cons

There always seems to be that level of stress wondering if you are next on the layoff list. Management has a habit of leading by fear and dangling "carrots" in front of you by way of empty promises of better hours, work conditions or pay if you are willing to go way above and beyond without proper compensation with the old "for now until we get through this rough patch" trick. It all reflects in the bottom line numbers that management ultimately gets credit for.

Pay attention to the people down on the bottom of the ladder. Learn what it takes to get the good numbers and give credit where it's due. Cut down on middle management that take undue credit and lead by fear.
    MVT used to be someone who paid attention and cared about the people but pressures and schedules changed that. Go back to being the great guy people wanted to please.

Good company culture

Current Employee - International Trip Planner in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - International Trip Planner in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working schedule is a plus and coworkers are very intelligent and professional. Aviation knowledge and experience can be gained at a fast rate.

Cons

No upward mobility. Stuck in current position with no hope of moving on at current office.

Good

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson

Pros

There are many career opportunities

Cons

I have not been here long enough to determine.

The GNS resistance to crucial conversations

Current Employee - Navigation Information Analyst Level III in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Navigation Information Analyst Level III in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are talented, professional, and consistently some of the highest level "thinkers" I've had the privilege of working with. Almost across the board, Jeppesen GNS has consistently hired analysts who are driven and passionate about the aviation field and the role that Jeppesen products have in that community. Boeing offers company match (which can be allocated to stock, a major plus at this time).

Cons

Management is constantly working against their employees, often using "Big Brother" (aka Boeing) as the scapegoat for their excuses to why they refuse to support employee initiatives, technology updates, and forward thinking. Over the past year and a half, the restructuring efforts have eliminated so-called work-life balance and put undue pressure on already stressed-out employees to perform to standards that arn't transparent or even communicated. There has been a serious decline in morale, attrition is at a high, and mgmt's refusal to acknowledge these facts has put the squeeze on the millennial generation who have the time, skills, and education to seek employment elsewhere. This will leave a future void in talent when it will be most essential in the ever competitive technology field.

GET WITH THE TIMES! If your millennials are posting resumes elsewhere and leaving for flying jobs that are half the salary, where will this leave your company when the good ol' boys generation retires? Be real and ask us what's driving us out, and be transparent about your efforts to retain your best. Find out what we value and make the effort to deliver and you will receive devoted, hard-working people in return.

Jeppesen Sanderson Photos

GREAT facility. Not your standard suburban office
Jeppesen Denver