Jeppesen Sanderson Reviews

Reset

The B team

Current Employee - Solutions Architect V in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect V in Denver, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good bennies, stable employment, fun international culture, budget is easy to get once you learn the process, access to all the tools you will ever need.

Cons

Can't pay top talent, lots of people aren't qualified for their roles, Boeing is taking over most leadership roles, annual reviews don't reward hard work, IT isn't helpful or engaged, the best people are leaving or have left.

Advice to Management

Focus on talent, keep the good people you have, fix IT management - try 360 reviews to identify problems

2. Great Company, Difficult Program

Former Employee - Project Manager IV in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager IV in Englewood, CO

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really got along well with my team and my manager was OUTSTANDING. It was one of those rare instances where it didn't feel like a job, I loved the work and the environment. I don't know if I'll ever find that again in a company. I felt a lot of support from my managers, as well as from the PMO and the organization. I always felt that everyone wanted me to succeed, and that my contributions were appreciated and valued. Also, my manager was an advocate of flex time and telecommuting. This made the team very happy, and as a result they were very easy to work with and project manage.

Cons

The program that I worked on was going through a refresh. We had difficulties getting a requirements from the business, which caused a bit of frustration and paranoia. There were also some quality mandates that were taking up quite a bit of people's time, with little apparent value added to the program/business. Finally, I witnessed some growing pains as managers from the parent company, Boeing, attempted to integrate into Jepp.

Advice to Management

None-

3. Graphic design research intern

Pros

Great work environment, excellent CEO, people working here want to be here.

Cons

Slow implementation process. It takes forever to make real changes even to benefit the company.

5. Good environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good people - decent work/life balance - ability to make a difference

Cons

- slow to change management - technologically-challenged - succumbing to Boeing culture

Advice to Management

Be more innovative! Ingest the ranks/leaders with fresh ideas.

Sweatshop atmosphere, glad to be out of there.

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are highly motivated and believe in the mission of Jeppesen

Cons

Their building is very over crowded, to the point where they have people working in converted storage rooms and loading docks. Most of the management were promoted from within, and there was a noticeable lack of professionalism in the lower level managers. While they do produce a quality product, their technology is dated and many employees don't really understand what they are doing beyond doing it the way they have always done it. They got bought by Boeing several years ago, and my impression is that Boeing is pulling as much profit out of Jeppesen as they can which stifles the ability to really grow the company and workforce.

Advice to Management

For much it's history Jeppesen has been the leader and only game in town. Someday someone is going to come along and do it better and cheaper and will eat your lunch. Invest in new technology and in developing your own people rather than cutting training budgets for short term gains.

Boeing culture corrupting legacy Jeppesen culture.

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being part of the Boeing family of companies does lead to good benefits

Cons

The parent company Boeing is becoming more and more a part of the day-to-day activities at Jeppesen. All the large company stereotypes (inefficient process, waterfall mentality, high ceremony activities, much discussion/little action) are becoming the norm at Jeppesen. Also, it is very difficult to transfer within the company. Open positions are posted rarely, and the interview process (internal and external) moves glacially slowly.

Advice to Management

Instead of just talking to employees during their exit interview, talk to employees who haven't left the company yet. They have good ideas, they've done software development for a long time. People are valuable resources within the company, but they're leaving because their opinions and experience are not being adequately considered.

Little opportunity for a meaningful career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time

Pros

* Salaries are very competitive for the industry * Medical benefits are top notch * No pensions but there is a contribution to IRA based on age. 401K match of 75% up to 8% of salary * I cut my week off at 40 hours but the company expects more if there are deadlines to meet. * Paid holidays and incrementally increasing vacation with senority. In short - More hoops, a LOT more management and personally I'm burn out with no option for transfers or more challenging work

Cons

* The salary is good but since Boeing has exerted more control over the company the environment is deteriorating. My salary scale is a bit above average but I was informed by my manager that promotion wasn't possible short of a job change which seems to be difficult just short of impossible to obtain. * There is virtually no lateral career moves. I have applied for 21 internal positions in the company for jobs that I am currently working in with over 15 years of experience at in the last 3 years and was only able to get 3 interviews. I was informed by a manager that these were likely converting contractors to full time. I was approached by a contact company after going full time that there was a postion that I currently worked in available but I wasn't able to find this on the career site. I suspect that contract positions are opened with out opening this up to internal candidates. I'm heard similar comments from other workers and others who are reluctant to apply for a transfer for fear of retaliation. In short, this appears to me that employee transfers are rigorously controlled. * The group I'm in has a lot of favoritism in job assignments. * I had a minor surgery and requested temporary accomidations from my managers. Instead of letting me work at another job in our group that was less taxing I only given a option of a standing work station which wasn't a viable option. See issue above.

Advice to Management

* Get rid of the excess managers that are a drain on the profit margins. 4 managers in a group of less than 15... REALLY. Way too much top level managers too. * Employees get burned out and need opportunities to get a job change. Locking people into a boring job only creates burnout and lowers productivity. * Stop the favoritism. Letting favorites grab all the better, higer visiblity job only creates dissention and alienation. This also creates repositories of expertise that are not shared and if the employee quits/dies/ or god forbid get a transfer much of this is lost. Currently I mentioned this as a risk to my manager and 6 months later nothing has changed. * Allowing personel to move to other positions can give more insight into better ways to address problems. I see little exchange of information on job skills and software knowledge. There is virtually no education other than company required information on discrimination, data breach, etc. computer based training.

Lacking strategic leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, great location. It was nice having offices in Europe.

Cons

"Good ol' boys" running the show lacked strategic vision and the ability to transition the company from the paper maps / mail room mentality to a software and electronic data provider.

Advice to Management

Pack up and go home and leave the task of transforming the company to people who know what they're doing and have the guts to drive lasting change.

Current Employee - Decline in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Decline in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hardworking lower level staff that puts up with bad management.

Cons

Too much politics. Dominated by white Males

Great while it lasted

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson full-time

Pros

Great benefits, awesome salaries.

Cons

Leadership is a little foggy/unreliable. Lots of layoffs

RSS Feed </> Embed