Jersey Mike's

www.jerseymikes.com

Jersey Mike's Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Jersey Mike's – US – “Jersey Mike”

Peter Cancro

Pros
  • Discount (free food and 50% off) and nice staff(in 7 reviews)

• Good team environment, good food, nice co-workers(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is basically just above minimum wage by a few cents(in 7 reviews)

• there are long hours in Management(in 5 reviews)

Overall a positive job for college students

Shift Leader (Current Employee) Pittsfield, MI

ProsCheap food, my store manager, since there's no break policy, allows us to take a lunch break whenever it's not busy. Very fun and friendly atmosphere, no really sketchy business practices. Flexible hours are great for students.

ConsUnfortunately everyone in a higher position than store manager are uppity snobs that delegate tasks to the store even if not needed. They read off of a script what's wrong with the store. Always treat you like you've done something wrong. Not a huge issue since district managers aren't in the store much, but still enough to stress out everybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet store managers do their thing, they do a much better job without having rich, uppity paperwork guys tell them what to do.

Good company, bad owner

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Oceanside, CA

ProsAmazing food
    Quality you can get behind
    Great team attitude

ConsOwners are preselected rich people meant to teach their employees how to be successful
    Crappy owners

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose you area owners for more the their net worth

It's fun

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCustomers are amazing, get tips, management is good. Can be a very fun work environment when the proper tools are in place.

ConsOwner is no where to be found when problems arise. Training could be much better. Owner could be more present in the store giving everyone support.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better help

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

General Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood Food, good environment, growing company

ConsMore training needs to be implimented

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Management needs to better train managers

Marketing Coordinator Position Review

Mike's Marketer ( Local Store Marketer) (Current Employee)

ProsGood experience for college students to add to resume, good job for an outgoing person-must like working with people, not hard sales but must visit local businesses to distribute coupons and marketing materials. Another reason it is good for college students is it is 20 hrs a week. Also involves coordinating events and fundraisers. There are 2 bosses- the store manager and the regional marketer. When I began I really liked them and I learned a lot. Very supportive & team atmosphere with in-store employees and general manager. I was paid well and the hours were very flexible. I had a lot of freedom within the position to spend my time working on what I thought was most important and best for the store, I developed my own marketing strategies. A lot of that freedom was taken away when the new regional marketer came in. Overall I really liked the company and position, but towards the end all the problems with new management drove me crazy!

ConsProblems when new management came in- new store manager and new regional marketer- lack of experience so there was no longer support, also I was given conflicting orders and problems arose with territory boundaries between other stores in the area- this is something the regional marketer is supposed to handle. I was forced to waste a lot of time completing frivolous tasks to aid in "fixing the problem" that were very unnecessary and doubt it helped and were definitely a waste of the company's money. I felt towards the end before I resigned (for other reasons), I was mistreated by management, i.e. being talked down to, unprofessional-ism, given no freedom, and being set up for failure due to the issues with territories. Also when new management came in we started having ridiculously long and unnecessary meetings that should have taken an hour with the amount of information given but took 3 hours. The position is part time limited to 20 hours of work a week. Great for when I was in school but also the reason I ended up resigned upon graduation because at the time there were no full time job opportunities available in my field.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoordinate better in order to train employees more efficiently so that there is not conflicting interests within the company and between franchisees. When new management came in I was criticized for doing things that I was initially taught to do. Set more defined boundaries between territories and an easier way to keep track of which marketers are allowed to go where within their territory (mainly regarding businesses further out than 2 mi that are in no one's territory).

Good Job for college kids

Food Handling (Former Employee) Clarksville, TN

ProsAwesome food on the cheap. Flexible hours.

ConsNo lunches or breaks. Ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeter Cancro is a very generous man. There are lots of charity events and promotions to make the world a better place. However, working in the store can be a bit tedious at times. No lunches or breaks can be exhausting especially on 10 hour shifts. Overall if you like working in food you'll enjoy this fast paced environment. Very detail orientated, so knowing how everything is to the EXACT is a must. Pay raises are non existent unless you are able to get a GM position

Worst job ever Orange, CA Prospect Plaza

Cashier (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsFree food is about the only pro working for this company.

ConsThe owners are horrid people to work for. Curse at employees, throw food at them, call them idiots and lazy. Very angry and spiteful ladies. Extremely hostile work environment for anyone solely because of the owners. No pay raises, praises or positivity is generated from this place. Also, when I tried to call corporate to complain about the abusive behavior towards employees, it seemed as if they didn't care. Calling off work when I was in the ER was a nightmare and I was called a liar even with proof of being there. Worst job I've ever had in my life. I only gave this place one star because I had to in order to complete this.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees about how the owners are treating them. It's not OK to let this abusive, hostile environment continue

Good Food, Good Service, Poorly Managed

Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGood team environment, good food, nice co-workers

ConsPay rate, employee turnover, no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter train employees

Great Company!

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-Strong standards for team members and customers to rely on
    -Education in valuable kitchen areas
    -Great food!

Cons-Franchised. So the owners are not held to a standard of what they should be paying their employees. Some owners will pay their employees at levels that are sufficient and NOT insulting. Some do not and put MANAGER responsibilities upon supervisors who are being paid $0.50 above minimum wage. (California)

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving the opportunity to meet the CEO, Peter Cancro on two occasions, I had the chance to really see how stores are run from coast to coast. I also had an amazing manager who taught me everything there was to know about JM's and I value everything I was taught by him. Jm's is a great company overall. My ONLY suggestion is for CORP. to be equally focused on the structures of each team (FRANCHISE) as opposed to strict cleaning standards that are not even followed in some of your BUSIEST SoCal stores.

Terrible

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThere isn't really any pros

ConsManager non confrontational, unprofessional
    Poor pay
    Shady company

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an HR Dept.

Worked for Jersey Mike's? Contribute to the Community!