Jersey Mike's

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
3.4

Peter Cancro

Pros
  • Discount (free food and 50% off) and nice staff (in 9 reviews)

• Good team environment, good food, nice co-workers (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is basically just above minimum wage by a few cents (in 7 reviews)

• there are long hours in Management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

GREAT FOOD

I worked at Jersey Mike's for less than a year

Pros

Want a great sub? Quality food? Jesrey Mikes got it! The food is off the map, I use to work there, so I give it to them plus customers are spoiled the people that work at Jersey Mikes work like dogs and barely have social lives, preparing you a sub pretty much is there lives! So when you plan on going to Jersey Mikes tip, tip away! Because the staff deserves.it!!

Cons

The company cares only about the customers, no breaks no free meals no social life

Take care of your employees so your emplyees can take care of your customers!:).

Eventful and stress

Current Employee - Operator In Training Assistant GM  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Operator In Training Assistant GM in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Jersey Mike's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great food with strong customer base

Cons

Very hectic. Frantic pased environment. Lot of the time understaffed due to payroll cost objectives

Please try and not spread the staff too thin. Demands are high with catering orders and walk in customers

Treated Terrible, never again

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Jersey Mike's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Food, Free Drinks, n/a n/a, n/a

Cons

Manager & Owner are rude, picking on people, drop meat on floor & still use it, act nice when customers are around but when gone rude,

idk

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, but solid first job

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Jersey Mike's part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free meal each shift (a rarity in the food service industry, and a good thing too since the price of their subs is ridiculous)
    - Had no problem getting a ton of hours
    - Decent tips for a fast food joint (approx. $80-100/2 weeks)
    - Was giving the opportunity to move up within the company and become a supervisor
    - They value dedication and hard work, if you give your best you will be rewarded in tips/promotions/raises
    - Great quality food that I didn't feel ashamed to serve all day

Cons

- Grueling workdays: everything at Jersey Mike's is pretty much freshly made, which means it's great food, but it's also a lot of labor, particularly if you're a supervisor and you open the store. Bread has to be started and baked fresh in the morning, all the toppings have to be washed, sliced and prepped, etc. I often went home achey and sore at the end of the day.
    - Management could use help, at least at the store I worked at in CA. Owner was not good at hiring, and so there was high turn over because under-qualified and problematic people (drunks, drug addicts) were hired and had to be let go when they failed to do their job. In my year at Jersey Mike's I think only 4 people remained the same from when I started to when I finally left, burnt out and frustrated.
    - Management failed to give me the raise they sat me down and told me they would give me (distracted manager?? this one puzzles me)
    - Don't expect this to be a long term job, it's good if you only work closing shifts a couple nights a week, but if you work full-time and open the store like I did, you'll probably burn out or just get downright frustrated with the team and quit eventually.

BE PICKY(ER) ABOUT HIRING. I saw people who were obviously a problem, who had had problems at previous companies, get hired here, only (surprise!) to fail to actually do their job and, worse still, cause problems for the rest of the staff when they drank or got high on the job (!!!).

BE CONSISTENT. If you say you're giving someone a raise, it should show up in their pay check. Give people reasonable hours. If you have a good employee, don't schedule them 6-7 days a week and burn them out. Hire better and then reward your good employees by giving them a weekend and letting them rest.

Overall a positive job for college students

Current Employee - Shift Leader  in  Pittsfield, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Pittsfield, MI

I have been working at Jersey Mike's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Cheap food, my store manager, since there's no break policy, allows us to take a lunch break whenever it's not busy. Very fun and friendly atmosphere, no really sketchy business practices. Flexible hours are great for students.

Cons

Unfortunately everyone in a higher position than store manager are uppity snobs that delegate tasks to the store even if not needed. They read off of a script what's wrong with the store. Always treat you like you've done something wrong. Not a huge issue since district managers aren't in the store much, but still enough to stress out everybody.

Let store managers do their thing, they do a much better job without having rich, uppity paperwork guys tell them what to do.

Good company, bad owner

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Jersey Mike's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing food
    Quality you can get behind
    Great team attitude

Cons

Owners are preselected rich people meant to teach their employees how to be successful
    Crappy owners

Choose you area owners for more the their net worth

It's fun

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Jersey Mike's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers are amazing, get tips, management is good. Can be a very fun work environment when the proper tools are in place.

Cons

Owner is no where to be found when problems arise. Training could be much better. Owner could be more present in the store giving everyone support.

Get better help

Marketing Coordinator Position Review

Current Employee - Mike's Marketer ( Local Store Marketer)
    Current Employee - Mike's Marketer ( Local Store Marketer)

I have been working at Jersey Mike's part-time

Pros

Good experience for college students to add to resume, good job for an outgoing person-must like working with people, not hard sales but must visit local businesses to distribute coupons and marketing materials. Another reason it is good for college students is it is 20 hrs a week. Also involves coordinating events and fundraisers. There are 2 bosses- the store manager and the regional marketer. When I began I really liked them and I learned a lot. Very supportive & team atmosphere with in-store employees and general manager. I was paid well and the hours were very flexible. I had a lot of freedom within the position to spend my time working on what I thought was most important and best for the store, I developed my own marketing strategies. A lot of that freedom was taken away when the new regional marketer came in. Overall I really liked the company and position, but towards the end all the problems with new management drove me crazy!

Cons

Problems when new management came in- new store manager and new regional marketer- lack of experience so there was no longer support, also I was given conflicting orders and problems arose with territory boundaries between other stores in the area- this is something the regional marketer is supposed to handle. I was forced to waste a lot of time completing frivolous tasks to aid in "fixing the problem" that were very unnecessary and doubt it helped and were definitely a waste of the company's money. I felt towards the end before I resigned (for other reasons), I was mistreated by management, i.e. being talked down to, unprofessional-ism, given no freedom, and being set up for failure due to the issues with territories. Also when new management came in we started having ridiculously long and unnecessary meetings that should have taken an hour with the amount of information given but took 3 hours. The position is part time limited to 20 hours of work a week. Great for when I was in school but also the reason I ended up resigned upon graduation because at the time there were no full time job opportunities available in my field.

Coordinate better in order to train employees more efficiently so that there is not conflicting interests within the company and between franchisees. When new management came in I was criticized for doing things that I was initially taught to do. Set more defined boundaries between territories and an easier way to keep track of which marketers are allowed to go where within their territory (mainly regarding businesses further out than 2 mi that are in no one's territory).

Good Company

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Jersey Mike's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Food, good environment, growing company

Cons

More training needs to be implimented

District Management needs to better train managers

Worst job ever
    Orange, CA Prospect Plaza

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Orange, CA

I have been working at Jersey Mike's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food is about the only pro working for this company.

Cons

The owners are horrid people to work for. Curse at employees, throw food at them, call them idiots and lazy. Very angry and spiteful ladies. Extremely hostile work environment for anyone solely because of the owners. No pay raises, praises or positivity is generated from this place. Also, when I tried to call corporate to complain about the abusive behavior towards employees, it seemed as if they didn't care. Calling off work when I was in the ER was a nightmare and I was called a liar even with proof of being there. Worst job I've ever had in my life. I only gave this place one star because I had to in order to complete this.

Listen to employees about how the owners are treating them. It's not OK to let this abusive, hostile environment continue

Jersey Mike's Photos

Jersey Mike

+ Add Photo

Worked for Jersey Mike's? Contribute to the Community!