Jersey Mike's

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
3.5

Peter Cancro

Pros
  • Discount (free food and 50% off) and nice staff (in 9 reviews)

• Good team environment, good food, nice co-workers (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is basically just above minimum wage by a few cents (in 7 reviews)

• This was a great job but only for high school and college students, I wouldn't recommend this as a place for full time job live off of (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job if your looking to move up fast!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Jersey Mike's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced. Great energy and fun if you enjoy working as a team

Cons

Manager Pay isn't really what you would expect it to be. All depends on Framchise owners.

Managers with great energy and motivation will succed.

Was a manager of a local Jersey Mike's that dealt with customers exceptionally well.

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at Jersey Mike's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions happen fairly fast. If you put in the work you can see opportunities arise.

Cons

The compensation is not that great.

Make credit card tips a mandatory thing for all Jersey Mike's locations.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Crew Member in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Dublin, CA

I worked at Jersey Mike's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Emphasized costumer service, friendly coworkers, perfect work environment

Cons

Busy all the time, management a little bossy

Help train the employees that know the least so they can help more

cool job

I have been working at Jersey Mike's

Pros

great job with good avancement

Cons

no bad things to say

Good Food, sometimes horrible management.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Jersey Mike's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people that like to eat Jersey Mikes.. LOVE Jersey mikes, its like crack for them. I used to be a regular walk in as a college student, got hooked on the food, and fell into a part time job from the owner of the store..

Cons

After working there for a few months, I quickly found out how much of a dirtbag of the owner was. He was trying to hide a court case from us about tax fraud (saw an article in the paper.. go figure). Our "reported taxes" were being fudged on the paychecks as well as our "w4s" were not being sent in (so we couldn't verify our earnings). To the government we didn't exist as employees, nobody lasted long and I think that's why the owner didn't care. I quit after I found out how he started paying the new hires cold cash.

Grow up.

GREAT FOOD

I worked at Jersey Mike's (less than an year)

Pros

Want a great sub? Quality food? Jesrey Mikes got it! The food is off the map, I use to work there, so I give it to them plus customers are spoiled the people that work at Jersey Mikes work like dogs and barely have social lives, preparing you a sub pretty much is there lives! So when you plan on going to Jersey Mikes tip, tip away! Because the staff deserves.it!!

Cons

The company cares only about the customers, no breaks no free meals no social life

Take care of your employees so your emplyees can take care of your customers!:).

jersey mikes makes employees sad

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Canton, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Canton, MI

I have been working at Jersey Mike's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very quick to raise someone through the "ranks"

Cons

once you get management, you'll find that your owner, g.m, and a.d., only care about the customers. no food on shift, no raises, no incentives,only management gets full time, and you have to share your hard earned tips with employees who did not even work the shift the tips were earned in.

Share the wealth! Expecting employees to work themselves to the bone for minimum wage with no chance of a raise or even working full time hours without supervisor or management stasis is morally unethical in my opinion. And for being a "staple in the community", you certainly treat the employees, whom live in said community mind you, like sub level humans.

Eventful and stress

Current Employee - Operator In Training Assistant GM in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Operator In Training Assistant GM in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Jersey Mike's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great food with strong customer base

Cons

Very hectic. Frantic pased environment. Lot of the time understaffed due to payroll cost objectives

Please try and not spread the staff too thin. Demands are high with catering orders and walk in customers

Treated Terrible, never again

Current Employee - Crew Member in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Jersey Mike's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Food, Free Drinks, n/a n/a, n/a

Cons

Manager & Owner are rude, picking on people, drop meat on floor & still use it, act nice when customers are around but when gone rude,

idk

Challenging, but solid first job

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Jersey Mike's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Free meal each shift (a rarity in the food service industry, and a good thing too since the price of their subs is ridiculous)
    - Had no problem getting a ton of hours
    - Decent tips for a fast food joint (approx. $80-100/2 weeks)
    - Was giving the opportunity to move up within the company and become a supervisor
    - They value dedication and hard work, if you give your best you will be rewarded in tips/promotions/raises
    - Great quality food that I didn't feel ashamed to serve all day

Cons

- Grueling workdays: everything at Jersey Mike's is pretty much freshly made, which means it's great food, but it's also a lot of labor, particularly if you're a supervisor and you open the store. Bread has to be started and baked fresh in the morning, all the toppings have to be washed, sliced and prepped, etc. I often went home achey and sore at the end of the day.
    - Management could use help, at least at the store I worked at in CA. Owner was not good at hiring, and so there was high turn over because under-qualified and problematic people (drunks, drug addicts) were hired and had to be let go when they failed to do their job. In my year at Jersey Mike's I think only 4 people remained the same from when I started to when I finally left, burnt out and frustrated.
    - Management failed to give me the raise they sat me down and told me they would give me (distracted manager?? this one puzzles me)
    - Don't expect this to be a long term job, it's good if you only work closing shifts a couple nights a week, but if you work full-time and open the store like I did, you'll probably burn out or just get downright frustrated with the team and quit eventually.

BE PICKY(ER) ABOUT HIRING. I saw people who were obviously a problem, who had had problems at previous companies, get hired here, only (surprise!) to fail to actually do their job and, worse still, cause problems for the rest of the staff when they drank or got high on the job (!!!).

BE CONSISTENT. If you say you're giving someone a raise, it should show up in their pay check. Give people reasonable hours. If you have a good employee, don't schedule them 6-7 days a week and burn them out. Hire better and then reward your good employees by giving them a weekend and letting them rest.

Jersey Mike's Photos