JetBlue

JetBlue Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

JetBlue President & CEO Dave Barger

Dave Barger

Pros
  • The flight benefits are another fantastic perk as well as the flexibility of work arrangements(in 45 reviews)

• Flying benefits are great, and the work is interesting(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management continues to lie and make false promises(in 8 reviews)

• Not very good at trickling down top management new ideas to middle management(in 7 reviews)

JetBlue: Bringing passion back to travel, starting with their crewmembers.

Customer Service/Airport Operations (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBeing employed by JetBlue gives me an oppurtunity to work for an up and coming company and still have the values of a family owned buisness. It has really opened my doors to meeting many new people and having several resources for other career oppurtunities. I love my job and i love the customer service aspect of it all. Having the chance to make travel a happier and more relaxing task has paid off in the years i have been employed. Over the past decade travel has become stressful, aggrivating, and very inpersonable. I feel JetBlue has changed that by being more in touch with our passengers. The airline industry strives for each passenger to want to get right back on that aircraft when it lands, and here at JetBlue we have certainly achieved that. Every employee feels as if they make a difference in the operation, and truth of the matter is, we do.

ConsThere are downsides of working in every field. The major disadvantage we endure here at JetBlue is the unstability of working in the airline industry. Its not a career you can depend on 100% of the time. The constant demand and pressure of getting each flight out on time all while doing so with a smile is sometimes difficult in such a crucial customer service based workplace. Working for an airline, in my opinion, is more difficult than working for a high-end restaurant. Being depended on to satisfy every passenger isn't always easy, especially when you cant control the weather. Traveling isn't always easy, and you have to keep the mindset that not all of these people are traveling for vacation. Several of them have just had a death in the family, or is relocating to a very unfavorable place and they are going to look for a reason to argue. Sensitivity and passion play a very large role in customer service here. Keeping that in mind as well as safely and successfully completing your job is a difficult balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing senior management for such a large company is not simple. As far as the operational needs go i feel they haev a good amount of control and things work very smoothly. What i feel does need a little improvement is the relationship the management has with our crewmembers. Being personable and caring for the needs of not only our work life, but our personal life outside of the workplace is important. If they had closer relationships with the employees i feel it would be easier to go to management with a problem or help with improving our skills. We are not always encouraged to confide in our senior management due to te fear of failure they have instilled in us.

Am I going to get called out even though I did not give my name in this survey?

Airport Operations (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsI have a great scheudle now and I travel at least a few times a month. I am an people person. I love the interaction that I have with my customers especailly the regular ones. I love meeting customer from places that I have visited, it makes the job even more fun. I have even made a few friends with some of my customers.

ConsMechanical cancellations and honestly this swaping shift thing. Someone worked a 24 hour period hour shift and they only got paid straight time becasue they picked up shifts for some people. That is just plain wrong. I do understand rules behind it, but there should be some exceptions. This person picks up overtime and other people'sshifts often, but never 24 hours. The people in local leadership here smiled in that crewmember's face and said wow what a great job, but when that person got their paycheck, it said just the opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey already know. It is sad that you have to come to a survey like this when you can not get you own issues resolved with management. I was told to go to my values group to get the crewmember's issue resolved and they took a month to respond to my email. I was so upset, I did not even want to respond back to it.

Jetblue-A Great Place to Be

Inflight Crew member (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are awesome! Everyday theres something different. Benefits are excellent. Also the hotels that we layover in are wonderful. The customers are also very nice for the most part. Youll never have the same experience everyday. Also, you get your very own set of uniform issue. As well as a yearly allowance to replenish your stock. You get discounts on many things such as telephone, gym membership and electronics such as computers and other electronic devices. Best of all you get to travel the world for FREE on other airlines through reciprocal agreements and ID-90 agreements. Truely a good place.

ConsLong duty days at times. You work transcon turns on some days.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing an excellent job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

JetBlue creates loyal crew-members by giving them encouragement, love, and a positive work environment.

Crew Support (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI work from home 75% of the time. When weather conditions become bad, we're encouraged to work from home, even if scheduled to work from the center. If the call volume is low, we are offered VTO or Voluntary Time Off, which gives us time off without pay, but the hours we would have worked count toward FMLA. We can trade all or part of our schedules with other people and do not have to have supervisor permission. I fly standby for free on jetblue, my family flies free and I am given two roundtrip buddy passes 4 times a year for friends that allow them to fly anywhere jetBlue flies for under $50 each way. Plus we get standby on around 70 other airlines for as little as $35 each direction and 75% off 2nd day and overnight shipping at FedEx.

ConsThere are very few paid holidays, only 3 a year, and because you are working from home, you do get paid less (less money going into gas or transit). Also, there can be spikes where more workers are needed and overtime is requested. This frequently occurrs on holidays since they are high transportation times. Airlines don't close on holidays so you do have to work them. We are open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeaving people at airports stranded is not worth it. We need to plan ahead and err on the side of caution. While I agree we don't want to ground planes unless we need to, having customer sit in airports for 6 hours when it could be avoided is silly. When operations are irregular, lets get planning and move to notify customers. If the FAA says the delay will be 4 hrs, lets plan on 4.5 and have our crews reorganized to be there when we think the plane ought to be able to go.

Great place to work & flight benefits can not be beat

Administrative (Current Employee) Forest Hills, NY

ProsI believe that JetBlue alows you to grow & provides you the chance to experience all aspects of an airline. The travel benefit will allow you to enjoy your time off while seeing places that you might of never of visited. You have a chance to interact with many different departments & senior management often provides open forums to discuss concerns and ideas

ConsDue to oil being the driving factor in the industry I think it makes for less comfort in job security

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your crewmembers and understand that shift work is hard. Please be considerate when forming bids. Crew reconition for a job well done is the best way to promote excellent customer service in an industry that runs on seniority.

Amazing people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Forest Hills, NY

ProsJetBlue has the best people I have ever worked with. I am truly proud to work with all of them.

ConsAccountability is lacking. This is something that the friendly culture has difficulty in driving.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize performance and accountability more.

What goes up must come down

Ground Operations Crew (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt all started Great! obviously you get flying for free. and being able to work as many hours as you desire. Great co-workers that are on the same level as you. Long breaks in between assignments. breaks were awsome. plenty of access to computers. Huge screen Television. They give you your uniform. They send you to Orlando for 2 weeks just to train. Basically, you could get any days off you wanted. Your schedule is set. it only changes four times a year. During the winter you can work a lot of overtime lines and you can make a lot of cash. Overall, working with this company was great.

ConsLeadership, Leadership, Leadership. Management was the worst part of the job. They were the most arrogant, Sarcastic, and unsupportive supervisors and managers that I have worked with. They picked favorites. The people who "suck up" or are the "brown nosers" are the ones that got treated with respect. The reason why I was terminated was because of an attendance issue. I was late about 10 times in 10 months for no more than 15 minutes each time. they would never excuse it no matter what the circumstance. I was involved in a car accident on my way to work and they told me " You are responsible to get to work on time." but when somone comes in and says "I'm late because I thought my shift started at a later time" and they would excuse them. it was ridiculous. This was a very rough Landing for me, I never would go back to that company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that as a whole company everyone is fairly happy with the way they work. but if you step down from the whole company perspective and zeroed in on each individual region, down to the city, down to the department, and finally down to each individual crew member I am sure you will get a huge variety of reviews. I knew people who loved the company loved getting walked on and disrespected. while others, like me who averaged 65 to 75 hours a week who just kept taking it and taking it, hated the job. I think you need to do a more in depth review of crewmembers before they are considered for leadership positions.

Great place to work if a decent salary is not important

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe flight benefits are among the best in the industry. The salaries tend to be below market, but the work life balance is good.

ConsWorking in Forest Hills, Queens is the worst location I have ever worked in. There isn't even a decent place to eat lunch. The senior management is indiferent, and is mostly interested in advancing their own career instaed of supporting their team,

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's support the crewmembers who are working hard, instaed of creating roadblocks, specially in IT.

Dave Barger, Please save JetBlue!

Inflight Crew member (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTravel opportunities. Public acknowledgement as a good "cool" airline to work for. Hopefully Dave Barger will change employee morale. Dave, dont listen to mid management, ask the frontline employees!

ConsVery poor communication between departments. No one or no department willing to accept responsibility. Extremely difficult for resolution of matters between mid management and employees. No one at mid management wants to make a decision, take action for fear of being held accountable and thus on the chopping block if someone one grade higher does not like decision. All of the "Company Values" that JetBlue claimed to be founded on are no longer existent. Employees treated as worker bees and drones, not acknowledged for work they do. Mid management too fearful of upper management and that trickles down.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your values. Get rid of most mid management supervisers, etc... Make sure mid management even know what the "values" are and practice them. JetBlue use to be a great place to work. Try to get back to that.

Jetblue Airways.

Pilot (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOne of the few airlines with a decent relationship between managament and the rank and file. As we grow, the trend is toward a standard airline, but on the surface they are still trying to keep it civil.

ConsBenefits package is industry lagging.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people in the trenches. Some of these Senior VP's are idiots. If they listened to what was really going on, the company would run better.

Worked for JetBlue? Contribute to the Community!