JetBlue

Updated December 22, 2014
3.6

JetBlue President & CEO Dave Barger
Dave Barger

Pros
  • The flight benefits are another fantastic perk as well as the flexibility of work arrangements (in 48 reviews)

• Flying benefits are great, and the work is interesting (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the department or location work-life balance can be challenging, career development/growth can also move a bit slowly (in 5 reviews)

• Upper Management continues to lie and make false promises (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

JetBlue: It may not make you rich, but it's the place to be for an ever-changing environment and great benefits!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

JetBlue does a great job of caring for crewmembers. It's an airline, so don't expect to be paid salaries like AIG executives, but they do their best to compensate their employees. JetBlue also has some pretty great benefits, including flight benefits, that often times are better than other airlines. You really do get the feeling like you matter at JetBlue.

Cons

It's an airline. Pay is always going to be an issue. When the largest 3 costs to an airline are Fuel, Aircraft and Labor, guess what gets scrutinized when times get tough? You can't do much about fuel or aircraft . . . But relative to other carriers, JetBlue does pretty well at balancing.

Make sure to maintain the delicate balance between brand and cost. Warren Buffet always talks about companies making the terrible mistake of losing their brand by making brash short-term decisions to make it through the immediate tough times. Don't forget long-term strategy and what got us to where we are now. Customers will understand fees and changes to a point, but be careful to not let the pendulum swing too far.

JetBlue... It's not just about FREE FLIGHTS!

Current Employee - Ground Operations in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Ground Operations in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

JetBlue is an amazing place to work... Not only for the benefits. I have been there for a little over a year and feel like I have built a second family. For the most part, the supervisors are extremely supportive. They are willing to help you out any way that they can, regardless if it has to do with work or not. They are open and will come to you if any problems arise. They show appreciation when you go above and beyond. My coworkers are AMAZING! Of course every job has it's bad apples, but honestly, they are few and far between. The people that I work with, WANT to work for JetBlue and LOVE what they are doing. We have crewmember parties, get-togethers out side of work, and just plain out fun. 99% of us enjoy waking up and coming to work everyday not only because we have a great time, but because we are with great people. We stand by our 5 values and that's what makes it such a great place.

Cons

Downsides... Well, I can't think of a whole lot. Right now we are somewhat short staffed. We are in the process of hiring new crewmembers but it seems like the hiring process takes so long. I know that the hiring process is thorough but I think that the higher ups wait until the last minute to hire new people. This needs to be addressed. Also, I think that management needs to be more involved with the stations. Our specific station does not have a GM at the moment. Our regional manager is around maybe three times a week. I know many people feel like they don't have anyone above the supervisors that they can turn to for issues.

I think that Senior Management needs to be more involved. Instead of just being at the job... Actually BE around. See what we go through during the operation of a day. You can't rely on just what people say. You need to be in the operation.

Employees DOOMED!

Current Employee - I. . . .
    Current Employee - I. . . .

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

If you like free flights then you are good to go.

Cons

Everything happens at the upper level - forgetting about the lower employees that are the company's spine. Pretty much look at it this way, if you want to advance then move out to another company. It was once a wonderful place to work but because of so many changes the company is doomed.

Stop wasting so much money hiring new VP's and Directors and creating new positions that are relevant to what they are supposed to be and to the job. Focus on your own people once again and treat them and they deserved to be treated. No wonder many wonderful people left the company. Bring it back to where it was fun to work there and it will bring back the airline we once knew.

almost there

Current Employee - Ground Operations Supervisor in Forest Hills, NY
    Current Employee - Ground Operations Supervisor in Forest Hills, NY

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

They treat their employees like family, and make the right decisions thinking of the family. Lots of room for advancement, and when you relocate for a promotion, they treat you very very well. Just about all of the crew members are proud to work for jetblue, and they understand the need for a work/home life balance.

Cons

long hours for management, senior management doesn't always look at the big picture and they lack the necessary communication skills to tell crewmembers what is going on with the company, they sugar coat it more often than not. Very rarely do entry level crew members receive recognition for a job well done

it's not all about T5, there are other blue cities to think of

Jet Blue Airlines named the best by JD POWERS AND ASSOCIATES 6 YEARS IN A ROLL

Current Employee - Ground Operations in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Ground Operations in Orlando, FL

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

The respect and integrity that you reacive no matter what airport your at is priceless.

Cons

Well when the gas prices were up we were concern because we want to continue serveing our custumer with 100 satisfaction.

Keep moving foward with our plan and keep being the best coach airline in the industry.

Jetblue, even though they have their mistakes and issues, still prevails over every other domestic airline in the US.

Former Employee - Inflight Crew member in Forest Hills, NY
    Former Employee - Inflight Crew member in Forest Hills, NY

I worked at JetBlue

Pros

Jetblue is very selective in their hiring process. Therefore I think that you tend to work with some of the greatest people from around the country. Jetblue also has the most travel agreements with other airlines, so you are able to travel for free or for a small fee to practically anywhere in the world. Jetblue is all about employee recognition and incentive. They are always doing contests and giving you free promotional items when we advertise for a new a sponsor or client. Jetblue has a great friendly attitude towards their employees as well as their customers. I really believe that the majority of the company goes above and beyond for everyone. Coworkers, and customers alike. I have had also had some of the most amazing supervisors there, but if you ever get hurt, I have heard terrible stories of the company not really supporting you the way you should be.

Cons

There really needs to be more consistency with the operations side of Jetbllue, Planes are late a lot, or we are missing things in provisioning. The absolute worst part about it all is the Crew scheduling and crew recovery group. I have been on several flights when the company was short of staff due to FAA work regulation laws. There most likely was storm a week prior and or several days before and it takes the company a long time to return to running at regular operation speed. We have had to cancel full flights because scheduling had no idea what was going on. We have been left stranded at the airport because they could not find the crewmembers a hotel during an irregular operations period. The company also tries to cut your legal limit rest time during an irregular operation period even though you are not working and have no hotel they consider you to be on your rest period. I twice worked a 12 hour day during an irop and they canceled a full flight due to staffing mistakes with a F. O. we waited for 2 1/2 hours for a hotel and only ended up getting 5 hours rest when minimum limit is 8. The company who is already losing money then gave free roundtrip tickets to every passenger, and paid for every hotel, and cab ride and food expense. How can a company survive when they make little errors like this that affect so many people. I worked with a crewmember that was on a 52 hour layover because crewrecovery had no idea that he was there.

Consistency, consistency, consistency. If you are going to start a new promotion or work ethic. The company needs complete follow through and that includes all departments of the company. The area of the Jetblue that needs the most improvement is by far crew services and general operations. Perhaps the management should look into higher quality customer service training at crewservices. There is a lot of turn over there and I am sure there are plenty of reasons for this.

Great culture, industry can have many ups/downs, JBLU has a bright future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at JetBlue

Pros

Great corporate culture, interesting work in an evolving industry!

Cons

Airline industry is not for the faint of heart

Keep leading strongly. This is a phenomenal company with a chance to become a very successful airline.

Its not to late JetBlue can be the best airline to work for.

Current Employee - Captain
    Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

JetBlue is a great airline to work for because if you have the desire to advance your career path there are many ways at JetBlue. If you have a special skill you can post your skill on an internal internet posting or you can learn other skills by volunteering for their many committees. New planes & great people is the best reason to work for JetBlue Airways.

Cons

Being a non union airline work rules can be change at will by management. Pay and benefits are close to the lowest in the industry as compared to the top ten airlines. Management had the opportunity to fix these issues this year. A management appointed committee illustrated in a full report all the short comings in pilot pay and benefits. Management shuffled pay and benefits around and gave some pilots a slight raise. As a result of not bringing the pilots of JetBlue up to at least industry average there is a strong inhouse union drive taken place.

Practice what was preached when the airline was started. Take care of your employees and they will take care of the customers.

Lets keep a union out of jetBlue!

Current Employee - Pilot
    Current Employee - Pilot

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

Better than average work environment. The people are for the most part very good to work with and everyone - for the most part - seems to be trying to work towards the same goal. It is a very tough time in the airline industry, but we need to be compensated fairly - and our current medical benefits are well below standard. Out pay is getting better, but still lags our competition. There needs to be some substantial, meaningful changes in this area or I am afraid that a union will be voted onto the property. Please don't let that happen -

Cons

Lower pay and benefits than other airlines

Lead!

my take

Current Employee - Airport Ops in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Airport Ops in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

The opprotunity for flight benefits. makes for a better second job and part time if you can find it..

Cons

you clean your own aircraft, you can end up with multiple jobs and only 1 pay check. you clean, cashier, take inventory/do stock. The polotics can get in the way of the job

re- evaluate your front lines and the compensation your providing them. When those stormy seasons come around and flights are getting canceled left and right and your employees are literally being spat on! you may want to pay them a bit more to deal with such B.S