JetBlue

Updated December 12, 2014
3.6

JetBlue President & CEO Dave Barger
Dave Barger

Pros
  • The flight benefits are another fantastic perk as well as the flexibility of work arrangements (in 48 reviews)

• Flying benefits are great, and the work is interesting (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the department or location work-life balance can be challenging, career development/growth can also move a bit slowly (in 5 reviews)

• Upper Management continues to lie and make false promises (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

To the shareholders, the financial stability, and defining a new tier of airline, "value airline" , good job.

Current Employee - Captain
    Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

People. It is a fun place to work.

Cons

Benefits and retirement are not up to industry standards. And health benefits after retirement do not exist.

Support the pilots pay them average or better yet above average to their peer set in the industry. Same with benefits.

JetBlue Becomes A Victim Of It's Success

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

Although not always successful people at JetBlue try to do the right thing. Enpowerment was a big thing during the early days of the airline, although it isn't as prevalent as it used to be.

Cons

JetBlue was started by people who were willing to take a risk. Over time the Risk Takers have either been driven out or pigeoned hole and made to change over time. In their place has risen the Care Takers. People who require conformity and scorn enpowerment.

The best advertisement is "word of mouth" advertising. The growth of the Marketing Department indicates that we are looking for "cutzie" gimmicks instead of sticking to the best advertisement; a satisfied customer.

Not the great place to work it used to be..

Current Employee - Server Engineer
    Current Employee - Server Engineer

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

When I first started JetBlue was an incredible place to work. I had a great team, and really felt appreciated as an employee. The flight benefits are nice. There's a certain level of autonomy that is nice to have, but the lack of direct supervision can be frustrating at times when you need someone to stick up for you.

Cons

Salaries in IT are well below average. If you can't afford to do anything when you get there, what good are flight benefits? IT management continues to make promises that are not kept. Recent initiatives to review salaries and experience were a step in the right direction, that unfortunately missed the mark completely.

Return to the core values that the company was founded on.. Safety, Caring, Integrity, Fun & Passion 4 out of the 5 are gone..

Not what it use to be..

Current Employee - Pilot in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pilot in New York, NY

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

Can't claim any. because they are usually taken away on a weekly basis

Cons

Typical Airline management, enough said. Company stock purchase plan reduced to nothing. Stock options no longer offered to new hires. Significant reduction in pay if you use your sick time. A daily reduction in over-all work environment and quality of life.

Treat your people how you promised in the beginning, or we are doomed to be just like every one else. What ever happened to take care of your people and they take care of the customer..

Overall a great company to work for, no one is perfect.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

The benefits are great. Management leaves you alone as long as you do what you are supposed to and fly under the radar. It's a very flexible job as you can move your schedule around. They provide us with dinners during holidays. The pay is much better than the legacy carrier pay, at least starting out for the Flight Attendants. Anything flown over 70 hours a month is considered over time and it's paid at a time and a half rate.

Cons

Reserve is very difficult and it's hard to break the 75 hour guarantee. You really have to be prepared if you are going to change a career.

Reserves need to be treated better. A lot of the crew members don't even know what reserve is as most of them were on reserve for only 1-4 months. Now the new people are paying price for it. Maybe one month reserve one month line holders, or if we pick trips up on our days off don't count it towards our guarantee because we are working on our days off. The fuel is no longer $150.00 a barrel, so there is no excuse why reserves can't be paid more. Remember we are human beings with financial responsibilities, lets work on improving the reserves quality of life.
    Also, in order to stay competitive in a market we have to start growing again.

Jetblue is only worth it if you are a pilot, flight attendant, GM or Supervisor.

Current Employee - Airport Operations in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Airport Operations in Boston, MA

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

Jetblue offers a great opportunity to travel to all levels of employees. The benefits package is better than what most businesses are offering, and management has not increased what employees are paying into it for the past two years. Management is extremely outgoing and willing to have face to face time with all levels of employees. On numerous occasions I have had the chance to speak with the CEO directly, it's extremely rare for that to happen in most organizations. Training is an important part of the company and employees are able to go into their jobs with confidence. Overall Jetblue is a good company to work for.

Cons

Employees in Customer service are given ZERO holidays, no sick days, and are penalized for being a minute late even if due to the transportation offered. The pay scale for customer service is laughable, who can honestly live off of $11 dollars an hour? And after three years of service only be making $13.10?? The company is in talks of switching over to HSA'S which would make their benefits package absolutely horrible. Jetblue is in desperate need of a union for ALL of its employees not just the pilots.

Consider the cost of living when deciding salaries. Yes you pay for parking, and are not increasing what people pay into their health benefits, BUT no-one can live off of a $11 dollars an hour, and after a year $11.75?? Three years $13.10?? That's insane.

JetBlue is a great airline to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

A growing company that treats and respects it's employees. The flight benefits are good, always nice to fly free on other airlines. I would recommend this job to those who aren't afraid of hard work and long hours.

Cons

Again long hours when there are flight cancellations. You can't just leave if their are issues in your station.

Just keep listening to us and respect our ideas, which I believe you do.

You have a year. Get it done!

Current Employee - Pilot in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Pilot in Orlando, FL

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

Jetblue has some problems with middle management but they are being addressed. Over all it is a very good place to work

Cons

Middle Management is terrible but that problem is being addressed

You have a year to fix some problems.

JetBlue provides a positive and dynamic work setting!

Current Employee - Training Liaison
    Current Employee - Training Liaison

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

Jetblue is a wonderful place to work if you value flexibility and you want to enjoy your job setting. There is a company wide ambition to be caring towards customers and crewmembers and business partners and even to our competitors. This promotes a great sense of goodwill and reduces the impact of stress in a normally highly stressful occupation. Jetblue promotes a lot of pride within the crew base and it shows in customer satisfaction. There is a sense of universality within the company, so that whether you fly to Buffalo or San Juan, customers can expect the same brand of quality service. Sacramento takes pride in the service accomplishments of Denver; Seattle admires their crewmembers in Boston. It is a sort of 'all for one and one for all' operation, creating a very dynamic family feel within a large and ever growing work force. It's not unusual for crewmembers to accept temporary job assignments in other cities and develop lasting friendships in the process. It's easy to do when you work with like-minded people, and Jetblue tries to hire only those people who care about others.

Delays are something that plague the industry at large and JetBlue has done a lot in recent years to provide the right tools to their customer service crew members so that they can really help customers, and not just offer token apologies when things go wrong. Therefore crew members are not only caring within themselves, but they are empowered to let that caring make a real difference. It's great for morale!

Cons

There has been difficulty securing benefits that really do take away the financial impact of poor health. JetBlue has not explored Kaiser as an option for it's western work base in any way that makes sense to its crewmembers there. There is financial impact upon the crewbase concerned with benefits that remains , even after much appearance of scrambling around trying to improve things. Keeping medical care costs from rising is a great start, but crewmembers have been asking for years to see better coverage for the money, and we haven't yet seen this in a way that feels like we've really been heard on this issue.

Let's not out grow our original core values of Care, Passion, Fun, Integrity, and Safety.

If you are looking for a great company with lots of great people, Jetblue is for you

I worked at JetBlue

Pros

Jetblue has a great corporate culture. The flight benefits are a definite bonus, but can be tricky to get on if you are traveling with your family. Reservation agents can work out of their home which is a great benefit to those who wish. I was also able to work 4- 10 hour days which allowed for a 3 day weekend which was fantastic.

Cons

The downside of working at Jetblue is that it is a 24/7 business so working weekends is necessary in some jobs. This can be difficult for families as mom's and dads are off on different days.

it would be great to have more career development and mentoring.