JetBlue

Updated November 19, 2014
3.6

JetBlue President & CEO Dave Barger
Dave Barger

Pros
  • The flight benefits are another fantastic perk as well as the flexibility of work arrangements (in 47 reviews)

• Flying benefits are great, and the work is interesting (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the department or location work-life balance can be challenging, career development/growth can also move a bit slowly (in 5 reviews)

• Upper Management continues to lie and make false promises (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Actions Do Not Match Words

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Profitable company should remain in business for quite a while longer, especially because CEO cuts and hacks benefits to please investors. JetBlue employees are all pretty good to work with so the environment is kind.

Cons

Company leaders say whatever needs to be said to keep the employees quiet, then turn around and do whatever they want. Words do not match actions. When this company was new, we used to feel special and important but now it seems we are each just numbers.

A dozen years ago, you treated us each very specially. Now it seems like we are just numbers especially with the chopped health care and limited options. Sick family members need health care coverage and you are putting money before people being self-insured and controling cost by taking from workers. Live up to your own values of caring and integrity, please. If every insurance company says a medical condition is covered and you say 'no it's not' then you are being a medical doctor not a CEO.

Great company, but IT is filled with rank amateurs

Current Employee - IT Systems Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - IT Systems Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hires the friendly social in crowd types from HS. People like to play silly games. Great place to work in the non-IT area's; Flight ops, InFlight, Marketing, Finance, HR, Legal, just don't go IT

Cons

Get some people who have real talent and let them lead.

Pic a qualified CIO Joe and Eash

Depends on what you want

I worked at JetBlue

Pros

Friendly people
    Free flights
    Can leave at 5, no questions or issues

Cons

Very little time off, does not observe most federal holidays
    flights may be free, but you have little time to use them
    it's just about the work - you have to socialize
    manufactured, as opposed to spontaneous, fun so to live up to the "fun value"

Ran through

I worked at JetBlue

Pros

competitive pay with other airlines

Cons

Lack of benifits, communication from upper management, no job security, may for you to relocate across the country with only a weeks notice

Too money hungry.

Corporate Greed is ruining this company

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

Working with all of our uniformed front line employees.

Cons

Back in its hay day (10 years ago or so) this was a fantastic company. Now its run by a B.O.D and a group of upper management that cares less about its employees, and more about their own bank accounts.
    The front line employees are not taken care of, in fact more is expected of us and we receive less support than ever. Bonuses go to the "big-wigs" who all pat each other on the backs for the hard work that the 99% of the actual hard working front line employees do, who's hard work win the JD Powers awards time and time again (not the "happy jetting" and " you above all" bill boards). You know, the Crewmembers who actually spend face time with our paying passengers and do everything in our power to keep everyone happy and loyal, even when the managers making the big bucks drop the ball and we have to over compensate for why we are stuck out on the runway for 4 hours while other carriers have gates and actual plans to avoid such crises. If we treated passengers the way Jetblue treated us, there would be no airline. Period.
    The company pays our former CFO (who left rather abruptly) a 1 million dollar farewell gift, yet our health insurance goes up, our work load increases, and the flight attendant quality of life rapidly declines with work rules that make other airlines actually laugh in disbelief in what Jeblue gets away with.
    Our CEO spends time and a lot of company money in DC with other non union airlines trying to make it harder for Flight Attendants to have a better quality of life, yet we don't see him willing to rip up his iron clad contract.
    Lets talk benefits....I have the same amount of vacation/sick/personal time as I had 10 years ago (give or take a couple of hours, yes HOURS), and I make close to the same salary....when at this point in the game I should be working less to make the same amount in this line of work. So no, I would not recommend this company to anyone to work for.
    If I had a crystal ball and could see that the BOD would throw its founding CEO under the bus and fire him to try and save some face in the public eye, only to replace him with what we have now...I would have chosen another company, as would a good 75% of this department if you want the truth. Corporate greed continue to be its biggest downfall.

Fear does not gain respect.

Only good thing is flying on standby

Former Employee - Ground Operations in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Ground Operations in Jamaica, NY

I worked at JetBlue

Pros

Flying on stand by
    Alot of free time in between flights
    Good workout

Cons

Bad breathing environment
    Unfair work conditions
    Incompetent Managers
    Coworkers that don't take their job seriously

I would say to take more recognition when someone does a good job and to pay more for mandatory stay due to weather conditions. I also feel that there should be more organization and Jetblue should enforce strict consequences when employees don't show up for your flight when it comes in and you are a short two guys pulling in a plane is extra work on everyone else that actually came to work.

Great company, unless it's IT.

Current Employee - IT Crew Member in Forest Hills, NY
    Current Employee - IT Crew Member in Forest Hills, NY

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

Rapid growth fuels lots of work and constant challenges. If you're looking for excitement, airlines have plenty and JetBlue is one of the best. I would recommend working at JetBlue as long as you are not considering IT.

Cons

I would not recommend working for the JetBlue IT department under the current senior leadership. Fear and intimidation are not leadership skills. Critique publicly and compliment never is also unacceptable. Additionally, even herculean achievement will not result in career advancement despite the definite challenge IT Crewmembers have with work life balance given workload and staffing. The company overall has had a very difficult time with performance management and IT has been at the head.

Judge leadership on their organization's Net Promoter Score. NPS says it all. If you're not listening to it you're either not listening to your people or not treating IT like the rest of the company.

It started out ok...

Former Employee - Airport Operations Crew Member in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Airport Operations Crew Member in Long Beach, CA

I worked at JetBlue

Pros

Always busy, never bored. Great people to work with. Hours can be flexible and you can trade hours online. Can often double up on shifts.

Cons

Management was often lazy and never helpful. It was very stressful and they cut a lot of hours and by the end of the day you were very exhausted and beat. Too much work for one person, very hard to deal with irate customers. Management would tell you to be firm, but then they would come out and give the customer anything they wanted, making you look very foolish.

Listen to what the ground people have to say, give them more employees to get the job done and stand by the decisions the crewmembers make, and don't undercut them.

Non-traditional

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

For traditional airline jobs (i.e. tech ops, inflight, flight, airports), it's innovative and tries to do the right thing.

Cons

Hierarchical, not a lot of room for people who do not fit into a traditional role.

Jetblue Salt Lake SSC

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at JetBlue

Pros

free standby travel if you make enough to go anywhere. If you don't really need additional income but just want your family to fly free on standby basis, this is a good job. If you are single or don't have any kids at home, it is a waste of your precious talent.

Cons

very, very, low pay. 8.50 for 6 months in training then 9.50 per hour

Do not allow managers in small areas like Groups to make hiring decistions on personality conflicts. Expect and demand supervisors to be GOOD people persons. Politics at SSC is costing Jetblue, a great number of highly qualified employees, they are leaving to go to EBAY and be paid a decent wage.