Jewel-Osco

Updated December 1, 2014
2.6

Jewel-Osco Chairman, President & CEO Wayne C. Sales
Wayne C. Sales

Pros
  • flexible hours depending on department you work in (in 20 reviews)

• Corporate has made it difficult for part-time employees to receive benefits any more (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has high expectations from a small group of people (in 23 reviews)

• Company just wants to hire a bunch of part time people that are not very reliable (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

180 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful, exciting job

Current Employee - Meat Wrapper in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Meat Wrapper in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a really outgoing person, so customers and i will delve into a conversation. No customer has ever been rude toward me. I love helping people and getting compliments. It is therapeutic to work the racks and put the meet away. every aspect of my job I love. Even when I get home from a 7 hour shift i am still thinking about working. I have a lot of fun and I love my coworkers. My bosses like me too.

Cons

Only Con is that i wish the pay was more. I do a significant amount of physical labor and extraordinary customer service. I love this job though.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are perfect...I dont know about the people above them though. When a customer compliments an employee to a manager or service desk or even the survey. Tell that employee they are doing a good job. I worked so much harder after My store manager told me i was doing a good job. Try to promote a positive work environment. Psychologically it boosts confidence and happiness....those two things will have someone smiling when they punch in instead of frown.

Amazing coworkers, but...

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location, and wonderful coworkers. I honestly cared, and felt like many of my coworkers were family.

Cons

Sad to report, that the working conditions were awful. The wage was just a smidge above IL min wage, and for what we were doing (difficult, labor intensive, high stress and literally back breaking!) not nearly enough. Management were very rarely friendly, let alone caring or willing to say "Good job!". Attitudes were poor, and the younger employees who didnt have bills to pay, stopped showing up on their scheduled days, causing problems for those of us who desperately needed the money.

Pay a living wage! Show the employees who show up for their shifts and never complain or whine, that they matter! I felt like I always gave more than 100% and yet my hourly wage was the same as those who called off for every other shift. I didn't see any opportunities for advancement. You have some wonderful people working at this location; let them know that they matter!! (Since they do!) Think about an improved employee discount, as well (5% is nothing).

jewel osco

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

a lot of nice people. not the worst place to work at. busy so the time goes by fast. .

Cons

many customers can be mean, but thats at any job. wish they paid better. . . . .

Grocery

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent entry level job for bored highschool student. Get your work done, then you have the glorious rest of your night to roam the aisles and decide what would be tasty for dinner.

Cons

Wage isn't sustainable for real life. Can't imagine how people can afford to work these jobs with actual bills to pay.... Up that minimum wage sheesh. Good luck to everyone.

stocker

Current Employee - Stocker in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Stocker in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it was a good company u shold work forer.

Cons

worst hours ever do not work for jewel osco

this coompany sucks

Not an equal opportunity employer

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Spring Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

most of the non-management are great people to associate with, and most of the time the hours are flexable

Cons

-Management is all over the place
    -The decisions made by the team in Itasca seems as if they have never actually been on the retail sales floor
    -Many of the managers are sexist when it comes to parts of the job( for example cutting fruit)
    -the amount of disorganization is very high in the opinion of myself

-Become more organized
    -Speak to the people working on the sales floor about ideas, they know the customers the best

Managers

Current Employee - Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Clerk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some managers are great, some are not.

Cons

They need to have managers that work, instead of sitting in their office texting or on a personal phone call. If the managers have favorites, then the other employees suffer. They give better schedules and reviews to their favorite employees. They sometimes discriminate against the older employees, giving them nights and weekends, while giving their favorite employees days and no nights and very, very few weekends. Most of these managers are so young that they don't respect senior employees.

Treat all employees as you would like to be treated, especially the senior employees. Don't make rude comments. And don't sit in your offices - get to work, since payroll is cut.

Great

Current Employee - Service Clerk in Oak Lawn, IL
    Current Employee - Service Clerk in Oak Lawn, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Union guarentees advancement. Good hours

Cons

Pushing carts, boring when it's not busy

Good job

SMT program is a good start.

Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best things is the pay starting off for only working in a grocery store. It starts at 38,000 for just training. And it's basically training in each department getting you familiar with the store so you can one day be a store director.

Cons

The most challenging is working so hard and not having enough help or time to get it done. Or being okay with doing the same thing everyday

Treat the little people like money because they are retention of the business

good first job

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great coworkers. good benefits. ability to move up the career path without a degree. guaranteed pay raises. job stability. flex schedule. laid back environment.

Cons

under staffing at times. union means high performers wont get treated as special. you have too work here for many years till you reach $10 per hour. not many full time job openings. constant store promotions can be annoying. some procedures are inefficient. management is inconsistent and can be abrasive with employees.

you must train each employee to their best strengths. give store directors more autonomy. focus on rewarding employees for exemplary service with incentives. the store visits by district managers are often very tense, instead have the district manager meet with some part timers to hear their comments. there are too many managers, consider consolidating duties.

Jewel-Osco Photos