Jewel-Osco Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.6

Jewel-Osco Chairman, President & CEO Wayne C. Sales
Wayne C. Sales

Pros
  • flexible hours depending on department you work in (in 17 reviews)

• Corporate has made it difficult for part-time employees to receive benefits any more (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Company just wants to hire a bunch of part time people that are not very reliable (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management was not truly in touch with what is happening in the "real" world (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Advance Within!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Merit doesn't go unrewarded, awesome benefits, sustainable, family oriented, and generous company.

Cons

Not enough praise for hard work and contributions to the compan. Very demanding not for someone with lots of obligations.

Compensation should be distributed fairly. I know a few others that make more than me and we began at the same time. I have received rants and raves within my district, yet to be compensated for them with my last position.

a great place to work

I have been working at Jewel-Osco for more than 10 years

Pros

flexible scheduling, nice people to wirk with

Cons

sometimes late hours, slow give raises

gwt to know the little people we will work harder

I learned a lot, but the work was stressful and very hard.

Current Employee - HHB Clerk  in  Niles, IL
    Current Employee - HHB Clerk in Niles, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a discount card, which includes 5% off all items and 10% off Jewel Brand items. In my current position, I work on the floor, so I do not need to be accounted for at all times, so I am free to take my break/lunch whenever I please. Very friendly environment between co-workers, however upper management is not very friendly.

Cons

Inconsistent hours, poor management, and I was not provided with training that would later cause me not to get a promotion. Working all major holidays with overwhelming amounts of customers can be very frustrating. Upper management has high expectations from a small group of people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok job if you're looking to make a little cash. Emphasis on "little".

Former Employee - Bagger  in  Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Bagger in Glenview, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Easy to call off
    -Nice people
    -Customers are usually easy-going
    -Simple work

Cons

-No hours (I only worked 12 a week)
    -Rather than have more hours, they just hire more people and cut hours and pay
    -Low pay (Expect $70-$80 after mandatory union dues & taxes)
    -Definitely wouldn't recommend to anyone looking to support a family or pay real bills
    -Cart duty (It was winter and a manager had me doing carts for three hours)
    -Change store policies too often for anything to stick
    -No room for advancement

See what ideas are actually practical and useful to employees and customers. What some men in suits say is good for the company is not always the best idea. I've had numerous customers complain about the sudden changing the of the store's layout and the constant stamp-saving promos. Sometimes people just want to shop hassle free. It's annoying that upper management forces these new policies on employees and makes us act pushy and annoying just to get good survey scores.

Management Lacks Maturity; An Overall Very Difficult Company to Work For

Current Employee - Front End Service Clerk/Cashier  in  Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Front End Service Clerk/Cashier in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Getting time off is relatively easy.
    - Most of my co-workers are nice.
    - The hours are relatively flexible.

Cons

- I'm not sure that the front-end management knows what they're doing. Baggers will fight and yell without being reprimanded, and employees with bad attitudes are often ignored.
    - Even though I am only working part-time, I had to join the union or I wouldn't be hired.
    - The union removes money from my paycheck each week, and as a starving college student, that really hits hard.
    - THEY WON'T HIRE IN-STORE EMPLOYEES FOR DIFFERENT POSITIONS. After a while of being a cashier, I was asked if I wanted to move to floral. I was given time to think about it, and after deciding "yes," I discovered that SOMEONE FROM ANOTHER STORE HAD BEEN HIRED FOR THE SAME POSITION.

- DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE CRAZY AMOUNT OF SALE SIGNS. EVEN THE LITTLE "RED ALERT PRICE" SIGNS ARE AN EYE-SORE. I'm not just speaking from my own opinion, either; I've had plenty of customers complain to me about the signs.
    - Please...manage the front-end? I'm tired of some of my co-workers getting away with their terrible attitudes. They way some of them fight among each other without being punished is just...irresponsible on the part of front-end management.

mixed

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time

Pros

good people to work with.

Cons

poor pay and poor leadership

look for employees with potential

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Produce Clerk
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a union position so it's harder to get fired. The hours are very flexible. That's about it.

Cons

Upper management is so busy with knee-jerk decisions to try to beat the new competition in the grocery business (Mariano's, etc.) that you're likely to be pestered with a new way of doing things every 5 minutes. Additionally the pay is horrible. They start you off at $8.40/hour.

Every day it seems they are trying to cut costs somewhere. Normally a business should do this, but the way they go about it makes it seems like they're trying to make it seem profitable on paper. It's so bad that one day the store ran out of bags. Bags! A grocery store without bags?! I have a feeling upper management (Albertson's) has plans to sell the chain.

Make the pay more competitive. You will see a reduction in employee churn. Also, Don't focus on trying to beat Mariano's by trying to become Mariano's. Build the jewel brand for what it is.

I enjoed working there people are great wish i had more hours.

Former Employee - Meat Clerk  in  Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

i enjoyed the people working there

Cons

all the computer training before i actually got to start the job.

VERY RESPECTFULL AND ENJOY WORKING WITH EVERYBODY!

Great place to work

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, always busy with various types of work, good staff, good benefits, good working conditions, various shifts available, supervisors are very good and fair.

Cons

Having to work nights and weekends can get to you, also holidays but at least one is busy so the time does go by fast during the shifts.

Promotions are fair and the training is good but sometimes retraining is needed for some employees.

Hard to go to school and work for Jewel-Osco

I worked at Jewel-Osco

Pros

You paid to work and get some no benefits to help you with dental or health. If you work hard and help the company they do recognize your hard work.

Cons

Not flexible with students who go to school and work.

Be flexible with students.

Worked for Jewel-Osco? Contribute to the Community!