Jewel-Osco Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Bob Miller

Pros
  • flexible hours depending on department you work in (in 20 reviews)

• Benefits even for part-time employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a revolving door (currently on 5th president in as many years) (in 23 reviews)

• Company just wants to hire a bunch of part time people that are not very reliable (in 20 reviews)

1. Great part-time for students

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time

Pros

Great for students whom don't have bills. Works with school schedule. Great as a second job.

Cons

Part-timers only get a minimum of 12 hours weekly. Receiving more hours constitutes a promotion not pay. May have to tranfer to other stores for positions that you bid for, if not available at your store. Can be sent up to a hour away.

Advice to Management

More incentives.

2. Supervisor

Pros

Flexible schedule, 401k, good vacation time

Cons

Not enough pay for working so hard

Advice to Management

Hire within more.

3. MEh

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Lombard, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours if you want them. Nice people. Pay increases over time. Not much micromanagement.

Cons

Not flexible on weekends. Must work on weekends. Some managers can be jerks. Handling the chicken area is completely unorganized.

Advice to Management

Needs better uniforms and needs to stop serving chicken. Needs more organization and better training.

5. Fair

Pros

Fair Salary, work with different customers, training program, room for growth

Cons

Hours Shift changes.... Not the same every week

6. Awesome job for high school student

Pros

This is a great company to work for and they are awesome and they take care of their employess Good hours Great management paid every two weeks

Cons

There are no cons to this company, they are great to work for and always value the worker

Advice to Management

Give the stock boys head phones so they can jam out while they work and don't have to listen to the music in the store

7. Worked in Farmstand

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time

Pros

I worked at a smaller store and found it a rewarding experience. It was a great part time job when I was in college. I learned how to serve customers excellently, and had opportunities to work in other areas of the store as well when they needed an extra pair of hands elsewhere, so my skillset upon leaving the company had a great variety to work from in future.

Cons

Sometimes my schedule got mixed up so I would be put on the schedule when I was supposed to be at school, but this is not the norm by any means and could usually be cleared up by switching with someone. The pay and hours aren't great either (unless you like working the bare minimum of hours per week), but they're steady, so you won't have huge surprises on your schedule.

8. Jewel-Osco Darien IL Former Bakeshop Employee

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Darien, IL
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Darien, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Darien IL Jewel-Osco for about 3 years, I worked in the bake shop department. Such a wonderful place to work!! Great managers, Great Coworkers & Great customers!! :) I absolutely loved my job, although I no longer work there because I am a stay at home mom now. (By choice) But I must say, if you are looking for a job here, You will love it! Everyone is very friendly & they often have dinners (buffet style) for the employees in the break room, for holidays, for special occasions & sometimes just because we would have am awesome week in sales & customer satisfaction. They have coffee all day/night for free if you would like any, it's available. This is just a great place to work, all around. :)

Cons

I honestly can't say there is really much of anything about the job that I did not like, other then I guess the few times customers would complain about something and you bend over backwards to make things right, offer them a refund, remake their order.. Give extra, ect. And some customers were just never happy, no matter what you tried to do to make it right and send them home beyond happy.. But that will happen anywhere. I really have no complaints about that place at all.

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome! You always go over and beyond to make the employees feel like part of a your team, more like part of a family. You also always go over and beyond to make sure the customers are finding everything okay, and that they are highly satisfied with their shopping experience at Jewel-Osco. Keep up the great work, you guys rock!!!

9. Benefits are good, but the wages are so low you can't really afford it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and flexible scheduling

Cons

Low wages minimum hours little or no upward mobility

Advice to Management

Let the employees know that their contributions are appreciated from time to time.

10. Store Cleark

Former Employee - Store Clerk in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Store Clerk in Itasca, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco (More than 5 years)

Pros

Basic starting position, good start in entering the real world while experiencing the operations of a grocery store.

Cons

You can get time sucked into working there, easy to get turned into a store lifer.

11. Service Clerk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crestwood, Cook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crestwood, Cook, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, decent pay for college student

Cons

The management was a bit rude.

Advice to Management

Be more personable

RSS Feed </> Embed