Jewel-Osco Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Bob Miller

Pros
  • flexible hours depending on department you work in (in 20 reviews)

• Benefits even for part-time employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a revolving door (currently on 5th president in as many years) (in 23 reviews)

• Company just wants to hire a bunch of part time people that are not very reliable (in 20 reviews)

1. floral department manager

Current Employee - Senior Floral Designer
    Current Employee - Senior Floral Designer

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Once you get health insurance its pretty good.

Cons

The starting salary is now lower than most other retailers and the raises are minimal and infrequent . Jewel has now started hiring full time employees outside of the union and they are at a different pay rate

Advice to Management

Take care of existing employees as good as new hires from Dominicks and Marianos. Everyone knows about the "merit raises" and the fact they are being hired above the rates currently being held by long term employees. It makes for low morale

2. somewhere on the retail level

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, semi-strict dress code, and I don't have to take work home.

Cons

Distinct possibility of working holidays and most weekends, and inconsistency in policies due to changes in policies over time and manager preferences.

3. Good place to start out

Current Employee - Scan-Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Scan-Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good job for starting out and getting your feet wet.

Cons

Must be available weekends and holidays.

5. Assistant Store Director

Current Employee - Assistant Store Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, bonus eligibility for salaried employees, no "groundhog days"...every day is a new challenge with new opportunities. Some merchandising creativity is allowed, ordering seasonal product, the opportunity to train and grow employees, and the ability to write your own schedule (to some degree) as a manager.

Cons

It's retail, and it's management, so that means 10+hr days, working most weekends and holidays, and you have to deal with logically-challenged, IQ-deficient people on a pretty regular basis.

Advice to Management

Advice to those above me? Nothing really. They got to a position above mine for a reason. The only thing I could say is something I try to remind myself of every day, and that is this: "Remember where you came from. Sometimes you have to wear the blinders of common-sense, sometimes you have to be the robot, sometimes you have to be cold and direct to get the mission across...but if you came from the ground up, don't forget what it was like when you were a clerk and you were wondering what your bosses were thinking or why they said certain things or acted in a particular way. Some of the people below you have the hidden potential to be in your position one day. Never climb so high that you forget to look down and see where you came from."

6. Front End

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnwood, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnwood, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Union, I work with good people, and I have good management.

Cons

Not enough money given to the employees.

7. Decent for a first job

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Oswego, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were mostly a lot of great people in my department and my manager was one of the better ones in the store to work for. The job itself was fairly straightforward and easy and it wasn't hard to keep busy, which helped make the time go by more quickly. Another bonus is that (in my department, at least) I got as many hours as I wanted and there were many opportunities to get extra hours, too. I liked that my manager didn't play favorites and gave everybody an equal amount of hours. My manager also good about giving me the days I requested off and was very understanding if something came up and I couldn't make it in. My favorite part of working at Jewel was that you get paid weekly.

Cons

The upper management people were not at all competent in doing their jobs. They had very unrealistic expectations of how quickly tasks could be done and even if you do a great job it isn't recognized, which can be discouraging. Also, on some occasions, there is nothing to do because you're waiting for a load of product to come in, but they still expect you to be doing something, which can be both boring and annoying. The worst thing about Jewel is that they are VERY unorganized. I didn't receive my official training until I had been there for a month and a half, but I was still expected to know everything. I wasn't paid enough to deal with that. Also, you have to pay a $110 union member fee that is taken in increments of $10 to $20 out of every paycheck, ap you can work a lot but still not make a lot. Also, on top of that, you have union dues taken out also.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, upper management, please try to at least act like you value your employees. It sucks to work at a job where you're working hard for only a small pay and you don't get any recognition. Also, work on your organization and dont't expect new employees to know everything if you haven't given them the resources to do their job. Also, moniter the employees more closely, because I knew MANY people who took exceptionally long breaks when managers weren't paying attention, which sucked for those of us who actually abided by the break rules.

8. okay job

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

Always smell sweet in the bakery, nice customers

Cons

Nothing much really just people trying to order when you're closing or having to write on cakes.

9. want to see better provements

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time

Pros

Close by where I live, nice could workers

Cons

constantly changing the schedule, no ac on they are not on time with giving breaks or lunches short handed at night's

Advice to Management

Quit changing the schedule once its posted, service desk supervisors need to help out way more, have baggers for cashiers, answer the page man when we need assistance, quit hiding in the service desk office, start cracking down on employees that abuse there breaks

10. Good place to work

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit and perks.

Cons

Glass ceiling is obvious. Big company is not easy to change.

11. Ok

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time

Pros

Not too hard of a job once you get the hang of it, somewhat flexible hours

Cons

Management at my location was very passive aggressive, the employees were great but not the best work environment

RSS Feed </> Embed