Jewel-Osco

Updated December 14, 2014
2.6

Jewel-Osco Chairman, President & CEO Wayne C. Sales
Wayne C. Sales

Pros
  • flexible hours depending on department you work in (in 20 reviews)

• Corporate has made it difficult for part-time employees to receive benefits any more (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has high expectations from a small group of people (in 23 reviews)

• Company just wants to hire a bunch of part time people that are not very reliable (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok

Current Employee - Front End Associate
    Current Employee - Front End Associate

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

Chain feels like other grocery store opportunities. My store did not have union dues for front end staff, not sure if this is something for all stores though.

Cons

Holiday pay was a joke. While most places seem to offer time and a half for holiday work, Jewel offered normal wages +$1. This place should be seen as nothing more than a high school job.

Keep the unions out

Wonderful, exciting job

Current Employee - Meat Wrapper in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Meat Wrapper in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a really outgoing person, so customers and i will delve into a conversation. No customer has ever been rude toward me. I love helping people and getting compliments. It is therapeutic to work the racks and put the meet away. every aspect of my job I love. Even when I get home from a 7 hour shift i am still thinking about working. I have a lot of fun and I love my coworkers. My bosses like me too.

Cons

Only Con is that i wish the pay was more. I do a significant amount of physical labor and extraordinary customer service. I love this job though.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are perfect...I dont know about the people above them though. When a customer compliments an employee to a manager or service desk or even the survey. Tell that employee they are doing a good job. I worked so much harder after My store manager told me i was doing a good job. Try to promote a positive work environment. Psychologically it boosts confidence and happiness....those two things will have someone smiling when they punch in instead of frown.

Amazing coworkers, but...

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location, and wonderful coworkers. I honestly cared, and felt like many of my coworkers were family.

Cons

Sad to report, that the working conditions were awful. The wage was just a smidge above IL min wage, and for what we were doing (difficult, labor intensive, high stress and literally back breaking!) not nearly enough. Management were very rarely friendly, let alone caring or willing to say "Good job!". Attitudes were poor, and the younger employees who didnt have bills to pay, stopped showing up on their scheduled days, causing problems for those of us who desperately needed the money.

Pay a living wage! Show the employees who show up for their shifts and never complain or whine, that they matter! I felt like I always gave more than 100% and yet my hourly wage was the same as those who called off for every other shift. I didn't see any opportunities for advancement. You have some wonderful people working at this location; let them know that they matter!! (Since they do!) Think about an improved employee discount, as well (5% is nothing).

Haven't been here for long, but it's great for a first job.

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

Great for a starting job
    Nice coworkers
    Good training for retail

Cons

Union dues
    Initiation fees
    They don't give you many hours for a while
    Small paychecks to start with

Cut at least the initiation fee, at least. I shouldn't have to pay for working here

jewel osco

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

a lot of nice people. not the worst place to work at. busy so the time goes by fast. .

Cons

many customers can be mean, but thats at any job. wish they paid better. . . . .

Security Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

Great experience conducting internal/external interviews and surveillances. If you work hard you will stand out above the mediocrity.

Cons

Overall store moral very low. Employees due the minimum to survive.

Grocery

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent entry level job for bored highschool student. Get your work done, then you have the glorious rest of your night to roam the aisles and decide what would be tasty for dinner.

Cons

Wage isn't sustainable for real life. Can't imagine how people can afford to work these jobs with actual bills to pay.... Up that minimum wage sheesh. Good luck to everyone.

stocker

Current Employee - Stocker in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Stocker in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it was a good company u shold work forer.

Cons

worst hours ever do not work for jewel osco

this coompany sucks

Not an equal opportunity employer

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Spring Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

most of the non-management are great people to associate with, and most of the time the hours are flexable

Cons

-Management is all over the place
    -The decisions made by the team in Itasca seems as if they have never actually been on the retail sales floor
    -Many of the managers are sexist when it comes to parts of the job( for example cutting fruit)
    -the amount of disorganization is very high in the opinion of myself

-Become more organized
    -Speak to the people working on the sales floor about ideas, they know the customers the best

Negative corporate culture

Former Employee - Store Management Trainee
    Former Employee - Store Management Trainee

I worked at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In this position, Jewel does have an excellent training program. You get an overall view of how a grocery store truly functions with all of its smaller departments contributing to the whole. The health benefits are fairly standard.

Cons

Jewel cares only about the bottom line: profit. Once you become a manager, you must withdraw from the Union and are therefore at the mercy of the corporation's constant demands. At that point, they expect you to work ridiculously long hours with little to know help and expect perfection. Highly unrealistic expectations/sales goals are continually thrust upon you. Overall morale of the average store and its workers are dismal to say the least. Vacations are of course allotted, but just try to actually take one. Many managers are called in on their days off with little to no regard to their personal lives. Very little flexibility. They also transfer their staff constantly. Four stores in one year is just too much. One needs time to learn their customers so that they can be more effective in how they sell to each individualized consumer. Constant change at that pace is simply disruptive and not conducive to building a strong team within any department. The whole point of a Store Management Trainee is to groom these people to someday become Store Directors. However, these individuals are seeing how negative all facets of this company and position can be. They are driving this human capital away instead of drawing them in.

There needs to be change within the corporate model. There needs to be incentives to get people to want to stay. Perhaps upper management needs to get back in their own stores and bag groceries for a few weeks. It's utter insanity the demands that they place upon their employees with virtually no help. Customers are generally aggravated with out of stock items in fresh shops and performance at the registers. These employees are simply doing the best that they can without any real manpower. Employees simply want to be treated with dignity and respect. Take the time to praise them for the good work they have done instead of belittle them for any minute flaw you can find. Allow managers to make changes within their own shops. Once they learn the customers' habits, they know what is going to sell. Don't make them create huge sales displays and then criticize them for high shrink numbers. Create a corporate culture that allows managers to thrive instead of dread heading to work everyday.

Jewel-Osco Photos