Jewel-Osco

Updated December 18, 2014
2.6

Jewel-Osco Chairman, President & CEO Wayne C. Sales
Wayne C. Sales

Pros
  • flexible hours depending on department you work in (in 20 reviews)

• Corporate has made it difficult for part-time employees to receive benefits any more (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has high expectations from a small group of people (in 23 reviews)

• Company just wants to hire a bunch of part time people that are not very reliable (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

It's retail. What else would you expect?

Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Store Director at Crystal Lake, Terry, was the best boss I have ever worked for. Hands down, the best teacher, motivator, disciplinarian, and coach. While I have moved on from Jewel to other endeavors, I would jump at the chance to work for him again.

Under Terry he gives you the chance to succeed or fail on your own. If you have an entrepreneurial type spirit, this is the ideal role.

The training program is very thorough, with plenty of opportunities to learn, ask questions and fail without judgement for the advancement of the company and the individual.

Cons

The company overall is very unstable. They have been shrinking the amount of total stores for years, prices are comparable to specialty stores without the selection, and the union has been weakening significantly.

As you move from store to store as an Assistant Grocery Manager, you will experience different types of store directors. While not necessarily a bad thing, you may get stuck with a horrible store director. Tip: If your store director's name is Dennis, BEWARE!

While the company offers a stock purchase program the stock is virtually worthless. The best hope for stock holders/employees is that SuperValu sells Jewel to a company more focused on growth.

C-level management for Jewel needs to impress on SuperValu the urgency and need to sell Jewel to another entity. If they want to keep their jobs that is. While their are many phenomenal store directors out there, Terry, there are many who need to be worked out of the system considering the contraction of the company overall through the recent years. Due to that same contraction, opportunities for advancement have shrunk significantly to an almost nonexistent level.

Ok

Current Employee - Front End Associate
    Current Employee - Front End Associate

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

Chain feels like other grocery store opportunities. My store did not have union dues for front end staff, not sure if this is something for all stores though.

Cons

Holiday pay was a joke. While most places seem to offer time and a half for holiday work, Jewel offered normal wages +$1. This place should be seen as nothing more than a high school job.

Keep the unions out

Wonderful, exciting job

Current Employee - Meat Wrapper in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Meat Wrapper in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a really outgoing person, so customers and i will delve into a conversation. No customer has ever been rude toward me. I love helping people and getting compliments. It is therapeutic to work the racks and put the meet away. every aspect of my job I love. Even when I get home from a 7 hour shift i am still thinking about working. I have a lot of fun and I love my coworkers. My bosses like me too.

Cons

Only Con is that i wish the pay was more. I do a significant amount of physical labor and extraordinary customer service. I love this job though.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are perfect...I dont know about the people above them though. When a customer compliments an employee to a manager or service desk or even the survey. Tell that employee they are doing a good job. I worked so much harder after My store manager told me i was doing a good job. Try to promote a positive work environment. Psychologically it boosts confidence and happiness....those two things will have someone smiling when they punch in instead of frown.

Amazing coworkers, but...

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location, and wonderful coworkers. I honestly cared, and felt like many of my coworkers were family.

Cons

Sad to report, that the working conditions were awful. The wage was just a smidge above IL min wage, and for what we were doing (difficult, labor intensive, high stress and literally back breaking!) not nearly enough. Management were very rarely friendly, let alone caring or willing to say "Good job!". Attitudes were poor, and the younger employees who didnt have bills to pay, stopped showing up on their scheduled days, causing problems for those of us who desperately needed the money.

Pay a living wage! Show the employees who show up for their shifts and never complain or whine, that they matter! I felt like I always gave more than 100% and yet my hourly wage was the same as those who called off for every other shift. I didn't see any opportunities for advancement. You have some wonderful people working at this location; let them know that they matter!! (Since they do!) Think about an improved employee discount, as well (5% is nothing).

Haven't been here for long, but it's great for a first job.

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

Great for a starting job
    Nice coworkers
    Good training for retail

Cons

Union dues
    Initiation fees
    They don't give you many hours for a while
    Small paychecks to start with

Cut at least the initiation fee, at least. I shouldn't have to pay for working here

jewel osco

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

a lot of nice people. not the worst place to work at. busy so the time goes by fast. .

Cons

many customers can be mean, but thats at any job. wish they paid better. . . . .

Security Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

Great experience conducting internal/external interviews and surveillances. If you work hard you will stand out above the mediocrity.

Cons

Overall store moral very low. Employees due the minimum to survive.

Never again - Deli Work

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Higher starting pay than other departments.
    Union provided some benefits to part timers such as paid time off (after a year of employment) and the occasional free six flags tickets.
    5-10% discounts on everything in the store other than alcohol and tobacco.

Cons

Store management was condescending, had terrible conflict resolution skills, played favorites, and just about ignored day off requests unless required to by law (military leave). Its a revolving door, we would have a new department manager every month or two and training new people might as well be in the job description.

If your employee is a 22 year old AND an armed forces vet its probably best to talk to them like an adult. Try to be neutral in conflicts between employees. Try to give each employee a somewhat consistent amount of hours each week, 10 hours one week and 30 hours the next is very difficult to work with for students, and please try harder to honor day off requests especially if 3 weeks notice is given and if you're not able to don't deny employee requests to switch shifts.

Grocery

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent entry level job for bored highschool student. Get your work done, then you have the glorious rest of your night to roam the aisles and decide what would be tasty for dinner.

Cons

Wage isn't sustainable for real life. Can't imagine how people can afford to work these jobs with actual bills to pay.... Up that minimum wage sheesh. Good luck to everyone.

stocker

Current Employee - Stocker in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Stocker in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it was a good company u shold work forer.

Cons

worst hours ever do not work for jewel osco

this coompany sucks