Jewel-Osco Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
2.6

Jewel-Osco Chairman, President & CEO Wayne C. Sales
Wayne C. Sales

Pros
  • flexible hours depending on department you work in (in 20 reviews)

• Corporate has made it difficult for part-time employees to receive benefits any more (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a revolving door (currently on 5th president in as many years) (in 23 reviews)

• Company just wants to hire a bunch of part time people that are not very reliable (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Current Employee - Service Clerk in Oak Lawn, IL
    Current Employee - Service Clerk in Oak Lawn, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Union guarentees advancement. Good hours

Cons

Pushing carts, boring when it's not busy

Good job

Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, WI

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience, work life balance

Cons

Not very challenging, a lot of call offs

Nothing

SMT program is a good start.

Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best things is the pay starting off for only working in a grocery store. It starts at 38,000 for just training. And it's basically training in each department getting you familiar with the store so you can one day be a store director.

Cons

The most challenging is working so hard and not having enough help or time to get it done. Or being okay with doing the same thing everyday

Treat the little people like money because they are retention of the business

good first job

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great coworkers. good benefits. ability to move up the career path without a degree. guaranteed pay raises. job stability. flex schedule. laid back environment.

Cons

under staffing at times. union means high performers wont get treated as special. you have too work here for many years till you reach $10 per hour. not many full time job openings. constant store promotions can be annoying. some procedures are inefficient. management is inconsistent and can be abrasive with employees.

you must train each employee to their best strengths. give store directors more autonomy. focus on rewarding employees for exemplary service with incentives. the store visits by district managers are often very tense, instead have the district manager meet with some part timers to hear their comments. there are too many managers, consider consolidating duties.

Okay place to work while in high school

I worked at Jewel-Osco

Pros

work/life balance and had decent managers

Cons

managers are moved around a lot at lest in my store

busy

Current Employee - Scan Coordinator in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Scan Coordinator in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great co-workers &management. always challenged

Cons

maybe more scheduling flexibility.pay structure could be improved.

pay structure could be improved

Good for High School Students

Former Employee - Front End Service Clerk/Cashier
    Former Employee - Front End Service Clerk/Cashier

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a good part-time job for high school students to gain some experience and make some money. They are flexible with your school schedule and allow you to request time off for various events ahead of time.

Cons

It is a typical high school job and depending on your manager you may be treated like you don't know anything. It is not the most glamorous job and dealing with angry customers is never fun.

Department Manager

Current Employee - Perishable Manager in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Perishable Manager in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule that you create
    Decent pay,
    Full benefits
    Fast paced work environment that requires quick decision making and prioritizing

Cons

Corporate pushes out new policies in the idea of making money that rarely benefit the employees
    Me first mentality
    Works weekends and all holidays
    Bad corporate management
    Focusing on cutting costs and personnel in order to make money instead of pushing sales

People are your most valuable resource, good employees are hard to come by and you should focus on retention instead of next man up mentality. Pretty soon the only ones left will be the individuals that you do not want.

Great stepping stone, but has become overly complex and unnecessarily stressful.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Benefits are very good
    - Coworkers make the place somewhat enjoyable
    - Plenty of opportunity for growth - IF you get on the right side of the right people

I began as a bagger and was able to work my way into grocery. From there, I was promoted to full time and given management as soon as I got out of college. Considering that I graduated college during the depths of the recession, I'll always be forever grateful to Jewel for getting me on my feet in life. I had the opportunity to experience many departments as well as the corporate office, gaining a tremendous amount of valuable experience along the way.

You'll likely become good friends with many coworkers. As tough as the place can be sometimes, those relationships will make the place much more fun. I made many friends over my time there and still keep in contact with many of them.

If you get on the good side of your store director and some of the operations staff/your district manager, there's plenty of great opportunities to learn and grow. You do need to show up every day and work hard to make this happen, but that should be a no-brainer.

Benefits are very good for both the employee and spouse. While they aren't as good as they were in the past, they are still offered to full timers after 90 days and are still very competitive (match 5% of contribution to 401(k), excellent health/dental/vision insurance). Take advantage of that 401(k) contribution - it's free money that you're missing out on if you don't!

Cons

- Pay isn't enough for the amount of stress induced
    - Payroll crunches are a near daily occurrence
    - Tremendous level of backtracking, inconsistency and unnecessary micromanagement from corporate office
    - Those in corporate are dramatically out of touch with the consequences their decisions have on the stores
    - Upper management is a revolving door (currently on 5th president in as many years)
    - Operations specialists are not so much out to help you as they are to tell you what you're doing wrong (as much as they'd like to say otherwise), and there is seldom a mention of what you're doing well
    - In position to (through their own poor decision making) squander the windfall that came their way after Dominick's went out of business

I was paid in the low to mid $40K/year range. Considering the amount of sales I managed in a given week, they could have afforded more and everyone knows that. When coupled with the amount of stress being put on managers these days, talent retention is going to be abysmal. People are leaving left and right these days and it's hard to blame them.

In recent memory, it is very common (in fact almost a daily or weekly occurrence) for a district manager to call the store director, tell him that $2000 needs to be cut from the week's labor by the end of the day (which is, for the record, a violation of union contract rules - once a schedule is posted, it's set in stone unless permission is granted by the employee to have that shift cut). Then, upon a visit from said DM or an operaitons specialist, the store will be berated because the place isn't properly faced, not well stocked, not enough checkouts open, etc... HELLO??? People don't work for free and the cans don't magically appear on the shelves! People put them there and you need to pay them!!!

The merchandising team is constantly backtracking on how displays must be built. Having "wraps" around pallet displays is OK one week, but then the next it needs to go back to no wraps, just "clean drop displays". Then, they changed their mind again on that. I left right after they backtracked on this issue for the fourth (!) time. Also, store directors and department managers are berated for not changing things RIGHT AWAY when a decision comes down from the office. Long story short here - a consistent message would be vastly helpful to associates, managers, and most importantly the customer base.

Corporate office doesn't seem to realize the consequences of the crunches they are putting on the stores. My location's payroll had been decreased by 20% since arriving there over the course of just a few months. When we got visited, the DM said that the store looked terrible in so many ways. NO, REALLY??? Cut out all the help and that tends to happen!

The company is about to be on president #5 in the past 5 years. With each regime change comes new ways to do things and new visions, which is a huge contributor to the aforementioned backtracking/inconsistencies and lack of understanding the corporate office shows. One vision and set of methods doesn't even have the chance to settle in before it is uprooted and replaced. Hopefully for the company's (and employee's) sake, some stability sets in soon.

If the company keeps going on the track it's headed, it will wreck itself. Prices are going up, yet there is no help to be found in the stores and out of stocks are more and more common as a result. If Jewel continues down this track, all the new competition in the area will destroy them. It is scary to say this, but the same mistakes that Supervalu's ownership made are being repeated. Considering that Supervalu nearly destroyed the chain, I got out at just the right time.

- Convey a consistent message. It seems like many company SOP's (especially from the merchandising aspect) only last a month or so before being changed or reverted back to the way it was before.

- Pay managers better. For the amount of stress being placed on them these days, the pay is not even close to worth it and the company will never be able to retain talent as they once were.

- Stop living in a fantasy world and realize that the store is only in pristine condition and customers are only happy if there is HELP in the store. Quit worrying about the payroll numbers. If there's help in the stores to keep them full and help the customers, the payroll issue will solve itself. When do you plan on realizing that?

- Cut back on Ops specialist staff. Each district having a team of ops specialists has done nothing but take help out of the stores to pay their salaries. It also contributes to the inconsistent messages. We don't need 10 people per district to bark at the people who actually earn the company's money on the front lines. If they want to be a help to the stores, have them come in and stock the shelves with us. That'd be helpful!

- Figure out how to retain talent. Operating in the fashion in place when I left was clearly not working. Management by intimidation and fear is something that worked in the 50's... but not today! Respect your people, work as hard for them as they do for you, and watch as people actually stick around again.

Easy work, but for low pay and you have to deal with bad upper management.

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

*Flexible scheduling
    *Easy work
    *Benefits even for part-time employees

Cons

*Working holidays and weekends
    *Low wages
    *Bad corporate management - Dumb policies

Jewel-Osco Photos