Jewel-Osco

Updated December 14, 2014
2.6

Jewel-Osco Chairman, President & CEO Wayne C. Sales
Wayne C. Sales

Pros
  • flexible hours depending on department you work in (in 20 reviews)

• Corporate has made it difficult for part-time employees to receive benefits any more (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has high expectations from a small group of people (in 23 reviews)

• Company just wants to hire a bunch of part time people that are not very reliable (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoed working there people are great wish i had more hours.

Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i enjoyed the people working there

Cons

all the computer training before i actually got to start the job.

VERY RESPECTFULL AND ENJOY WORKING WITH EVERYBODY!

Ok job if you're looking to make a little cash. Emphasis on "little".

Former Employee - Bagger in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Bagger in Glenview, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Easy to call off
    -Nice people
    -Customers are usually easy-going
    -Simple work

Cons

-No hours (I only worked 12 a week)
    -Rather than have more hours, they just hire more people and cut hours and pay
    -Low pay (Expect $70-$80 after mandatory union dues & taxes)
    -Definitely wouldn't recommend to anyone looking to support a family or pay real bills
    -Cart duty (It was winter and a manager had me doing carts for three hours)
    -Change store policies too often for anything to stick
    -No room for advancement

See what ideas are actually practical and useful to employees and customers. What some men in suits say is good for the company is not always the best idea. I've had numerous customers complain about the sudden changing the of the store's layout and the constant stamp-saving promos. Sometimes people just want to shop hassle free. It's annoying that upper management forces these new policies on employees and makes us act pushy and annoying just to get good survey scores.

Management Lacks Maturity; An Overall Very Difficult Company to Work For

Current Employee - Front End Service Clerk/Cashier in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Front End Service Clerk/Cashier in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Getting time off is relatively easy.
    - Most of my co-workers are nice.
    - The hours are relatively flexible.

Cons

- I'm not sure that the front-end management knows what they're doing. Baggers will fight and yell without being reprimanded, and employees with bad attitudes are often ignored.
    - Even though I am only working part-time, I had to join the union or I wouldn't be hired.
    - The union removes money from my paycheck each week, and as a starving college student, that really hits hard.
    - THEY WON'T HIRE IN-STORE EMPLOYEES FOR DIFFERENT POSITIONS. After a while of being a cashier, I was asked if I wanted to move to floral. I was given time to think about it, and after deciding "yes," I discovered that SOMEONE FROM ANOTHER STORE HAD BEEN HIRED FOR THE SAME POSITION.

- DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE CRAZY AMOUNT OF SALE SIGNS. EVEN THE LITTLE "RED ALERT PRICE" SIGNS ARE AN EYE-SORE. I'm not just speaking from my own opinion, either; I've had plenty of customers complain to me about the signs.
    - Please...manage the front-end? I'm tired of some of my co-workers getting away with their terrible attitudes. They way some of them fight among each other without being punished is just...irresponsible on the part of front-end management.

mixed

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time

Pros

good people to work with.

Cons

poor pay and poor leadership

look for employees with potential

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Produce Clerk
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a union position so it's harder to get fired. The hours are very flexible. That's about it.

Cons

Upper management is so busy with knee-jerk decisions to try to beat the new competition in the grocery business (Mariano's, etc.) that you're likely to be pestered with a new way of doing things every 5 minutes. Additionally the pay is horrible. They start you off at $8.40/hour.

Every day it seems they are trying to cut costs somewhere. Normally a business should do this, but the way they go about it makes it seems like they're trying to make it seem profitable on paper. It's so bad that one day the store ran out of bags. Bags! A grocery store without bags?! I have a feeling upper management (Albertson's) has plans to sell the chain.

Make the pay more competitive. You will see a reduction in employee churn. Also, Don't focus on trying to beat Mariano's by trying to become Mariano's. Build the jewel brand for what it is.

Moderate treatment, terrible hours

I have been working at Jewel-Osco

Pros

Friendly coworkers, membership card for discounted purchases (very low amount though), just as good as most other retail jobs, consistent

Cons

Receive little to no benefits, union does not help it's employers as much as it should, pay cuts happen too often, no way to earn a raise or increase title, few hours a week (average of 12 for sales associates), low starting pay, management does not seem to know "what to do", among lots of other things

Offer more benefits, encouragement, and listen to your employees

Ok first job

Former Employee - Service Clerk and Cashier in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Service Clerk and Cashier in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a friendly environment and its easy to talk to most of the other employees. Most of the things that you do are easy being a service clerk(bagging, helping people to their car, running back items people did not want). As a cashier things are easier. You just slide things across the belt and take money from the customers. Overall i think it is an easy job, not much skill is really needed to be a bagger.

Cons

Being trained as a bagger, there was no training. They just told me a few things and put me right to work. Training as a cashier was a 26 hour week. They taught me the rules of being on the register. The worst part about being a bagger is two things, having to push carts and having to pick up slack from other workers. All the time I would have to pick up the slack of other baggers who worked there much longer. I was stuck outside pushing carts in the heat for 1-2 hours some days. A lot of times they would send me outside to get carts before they would send other people. The worst part about being a cashier was rude customers or being short changed.

The managers of each department need to learn how to tell the more senior service clerks to do their work. Also i think the new program in which they try to reinterpret service into the store is a waste of money.They are paying a workers to stand at the entrance and say hello to people and tell them to take an online survey for four or seven hours. So many of the customers are annoyed at being given surveys at the door that they leave them in their cart.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Jewel-Osco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, always busy with various types of work, good staff, good benefits, good working conditions, various shifts available, supervisors are very good and fair.

Cons

Having to work nights and weekends can get to you, also holidays but at least one is busy so the time does go by fast during the shifts.

Promotions are fair and the training is good but sometimes retraining is needed for some employees.

Hard to go to school and work for Jewel-Osco

I worked at Jewel-Osco

Pros

You paid to work and get some no benefits to help you with dental or health. If you work hard and help the company they do recognize your hard work.

Cons

Not flexible with students who go to school and work.

Be flexible with students.

At my particular Jewel, it is a very easy, laid-back, fun, worry-free environment - however, the wages are too low

Current Employee - Front End Service Clerk/Cashier in Niles, IL
    Current Employee - Front End Service Clerk/Cashier in Niles, IL

I have been working at Jewel-Osco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-laid back (at least my store)
    -easy
    -social
    -fun
    -job security thanks to union

Cons

-time and a half on sundays/holidays, health benefits don't come in for a while (a year?)
    -pay raise for cashier only FIVE CENTS; no other promotional pay raises for anything else in the front-end
    -pay rate disgustingly close to the minimum wage
    -the food discounts are only noticeable if you buy store brand products, even then are barely there.
    -the managers care a bit too much sometimes, other times they barely care at all. Its very rare to find managers that have their priorities straight & don't micromanage or get stingy about nonsensical things. But they do exist and I'm lucky to know who they are.
    -IT IS JUST THE MOST DEGRADING thing ever when customers want you to bag their groceries in their own reusable bags. It slows down the entire lane and barely affects the environment. If you are a customer who does this, at least have the decency to buy those rigidly shaped, box-like reusable bags instead of those ruffled, smelly, form-less and sometimes bottom-less ones.
    -Getting carts isn't the most fun thing ever, but it has its times.

Give cashiers a *significant* pay raise. Five cents is absolutely LAUGHABLE. Baggers go from having virtually no liabilities or responsibilities to handling CASH and CHECKS that are linked to peoples bank accounts. Any time an employee is promoted to a position that entails money handling, the pay raise should be significant.

I think the raise should be at least 2 dollars up at a minimum. Five cents is simply offensive.

Jewel-Osco Photos