Jewelry Television

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jewelry Television President and CEO Tim Matthews

Tim Matthews

Worked at Jewelry Television for 8 years and it was a good company except for IT Department which has management issues.

IT Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompetitive salary
Allot of great people there.
Benefits are ok

ConsIT Department expects you to beg for your job, poor management
Needs to return to a family atmosphere where people are treated with some respect
Quit hiring so many family members
Take care of the people you got, JTV use to be known for its employee's everyone wanted to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more family oriented, like the founder was
Start taking care of the employee's and they will take care of you.
Get rid of your IT management, I would look at the way other companies are run.

No Training. No Respect. Too much favoritism and nepotism.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy boss was awesome. He was the exception. He was a true mentor - which is shockingly rare at JTV - most managers are paranoid or insecure, and don't want to train their subordinates.

Cons1. The executive team (the CEO, CFO, and the two founders, Bob and Bill) has no professional retail management experience prior to JTV - and this is a retailer! As a result, they do a lot of dumb things, and they hire a lot of people because they like them, instead of hiring them because they have great experience with other retailers. The CEO is actually a pretty nice guy - he just has no retail experience - he's a lawyer by trade.
2. The technology / systems are archaic. If you work with data, you'll be disappointed. You'd better be an Excel God.
3. Nepotism - everyone is related to everyone else. There are no rules about hiring relatives. Unfortunately, as is usually the case anywhere, the relatives are usually unqualified, lazy, and seem to have a sense of entitlement.
4. Favoritism - If you're "in", you've got it made. Managers here go through zero professional performance counseling training, and it shows. Performance reviews are given very inconsistently, and when they are given, the review is written to reflect how the reviewer feels about you, and reflects your relationship and popularity - it doesn't reflect your actual job performance. That's my personal observation - but many of my co-workers have made similar statements.
5. Training - there isn't any. Competence is not a requirement (see #3 above). If you ask to attend a training seminar or class - you can - but you have to pay for it yourself - even it the knowledge will benefit the company. They simply do not invest in their people.
6. All employees are disposable. I saw quite a few very valuable employees leave the company when they got better offers elsewhere. JTV will not give raises to most salaried employees, ever (unless you're one of the "in" crowd, but that's a very small group). They never make counteroffers. Consequently, you will not make much money here. I left in 2011, and wish I had left sooner.
7. Advancement - they routinely hold people back. They have an internal job posting system, and people use it, but the "losing" managers can prevent people from applying or from LEAVING their role for months after they get a new role.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more professionals and pay them. There's just not very much talent at this company.

Top Notch Software Development

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a really good agile software development shop for Java developers. Great folks and great management. Very good salaries.

ConsSome proprietary and obscure software platforms might limit your portability to other shops (e.g. DemandWare). The business is sensitive to consumer trends (jewelry purchasing) and, as such, it can be volatile and a challenge to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump DemandWare

At Home Call Center Agent Program

At Home Call Center Agent (Former Employee)
Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood In House Training Program
Great People to commiserate with

ConsThe Work At Home Agent program is intrusive. There are up front costs to the employee
POOR HR support, ill communication between supervisors, HR and workers.
In home agent training is disorganized and confusing.
Equipment provided is old, outdated and likely to fail.
Valuations on the equipment for the at home employees are inflated at the employees risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe At Home Agent program is new and is clearly still in the development stage. The drop out rate of the group I began training with was over 50%. We were basically there to make two weeks worth of income. We were not provided with the proper paperwork for our specific position upon hiring . The in house training was comprehensive and I was initially excited about the job.
However, the individual conducting the training sessions for the At Home Call Center Agent position was unprofessional, disorganized and seemed disinterested in working with the trainees. There was no standardized training method or procedure which makes it difficult to understand the expectations of the company with regard to employees who don’t work on site.
I feel like the two days of "At Home Agent Training" were unnecessary and confusing. Feedback was hostile, and encouragement was non-existent.
I was given referral forms to pass out to people who might be interested in the JTV at home call center agent program. This is supposed to be a monetary incentive program, but at this point I would not recommend the JTV At Home Call Center Agent position to anyone. Perhaps once a line of communication is established between upper level management, HR, the in house and at home trainers with the trainees the work from home system will be an asset to the company.

Fun work environment, has management issues.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time for more than a year

ProsPlace is generally fun to work at and is not stressful for the most part. There are some issues with management and some annoyances, but if you work at JTV for a short period of time it's tolerable. There is some nepotism in the company, but for the most part those family members seem knowledgable in their position, so it's not a real problem as others have stated. If you apply to work here, you need to ask for as much compensation as possible up front, because that's all you're going to get.

ConsManagement completely fails at the ability to hold on to key personnel. They rarely, if ever, give out raises and bonuses, thus have a high turn over and will eventually have a knowledge drain that will probably be the death of the company. They also have very "high" security that is in place to secure the product in the warehouse, however it makes no sense and is actually just annoying employees and not doing what it is intended.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify key personnel and do what it takes to keep them happy.

Call Center clones

Call Center Representative (Former Employee)
Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television part-time for more than a year

ProsThe work isn't difficult and the customers are, for the most part, actually very nice to work with.

ConsEveryone is expected to talk, act, and react exactly according to the "norm"...which really isn't "normal."

Advice to Senior ManagementGets some pros in to run the call center...people who know how to relate to customers "one on one."

Jewelry Television has little regard for employee strengths.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time

ProsThe benefits are generally good.

ConsNepotism runs rampant at Jewelry Television. Once you have secured a position with Jewelry Television prepare to live in that position for a few years unless you are lucky enough to be discovered by a manager in a different department. Even if you have advanced skills, training and education, once an employee is hired in, unless you are family, the departmental managers are so threatened by promoting departmental success that they try to keep their staff in place. I was only promoted after meeting an executive manager during a company function. Once promoted he asked me “how did you ever end up in [X position] when your skills and education are far above those required for the job you were hired into?” I took the job to get in to the company and only got promoted through luck.

Jewelry Television is an incredible place to work!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time for more than a year

ProsJewelry Television offers a great environment to work! Tim Matthews and the executive team are true leaders with creative and innovative ideas. I have thoroughly enjoyed this company and all that it offers.

ConsNo cons to offer - great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for making Jewelry Television an innovator in the broadcast world. I am very proud to say "I work for JTV".

JTV - nice people, good environment

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI come to work each day because I love the people I work with! The environment at JTV is friendly. Everyone speaks to you in the hallway and the CEO and founders are approachable and sit in open cubicles.

ConsI can't think of any cons to working at JTV

Advice to Senior ManagementI have a great deal of respect for the leadership team. They are by far the nicest group I have met in corporate America.

lack of technology and talent at senior management level

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities to start small projects.

ConsDon't know how to solve problems with long turn goals. Hire too many friends and family. Need better technology and training

Advice to Senior ManagementUse six sigma expertise to help solve a lot of your process problems.

Worked for Jewelry Television? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jewelry Television reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jewelry Television CEO Tim Matthews. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Jewelry Television employees.