Jewelry Television Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Jewelry Television President and CEO Tim Matthews
Tim Matthews

Pros
  • friendly co workers, nice campus (in 2 reviews)

• It is an active, ever-changing fun place to work (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • After 2008, the upper management looks at you like the crap on the bottom of their shoes, if they bother to look at you at all (in 7 reviews)

• No clear direction for the call center (in 5 reviews)

1. Call Center

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time

Pros

I work with some amazing people I find that I am able to speak to upper management with ease and feel that I am part of the organization.

Cons

The only negative thing I feel is that some of the call center employees are underpaid. I feel that if the pay was higher we would not lose the better agents that work in the call center.

Too many chiefs

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people! The management doesn't care about their employees!

Cons

It used to be a great company but changed a lot due to the recession in 2008/2009.

Advice to Management

Get new upper management! Start with getting rid of two-faced Tolly!

3. Not Good!

I worked at Jewelry Television part-time

Pros

Loved the job. Getting to talk with and help people is great. You're helping them with something that makes them happy to begin with. Great feeling!

Cons

I had a miscarriage and tried to go back to work. I was told that because of previous employment that I wasn't available for rehire! I DIDN'T PLAN TO HAVE A MISCARRIAGE! I felt that I was treated VERY poorly in this situation!

Advice to Management

Please be aware of the reasons that someone has to leave before making such a decision. This could very easily look like unfair treatment to others. i didn't push it, but that doesn't mean someone else won't!

Cult; Poor Management

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time

Pros

Used to be ok. Vacation.

Cons

Bad, poor, dishonest management. Nepotism.

6. Good People but somewhat dysfunctional with low pay.

Current Employee - Sales and Service Supervisor in Wartburg, TN
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Supervisor in Wartburg, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a decent work atmosphere due to the collection of good people. It felt like a family atmosphere within the call center.

Cons

Low pay for the hours you work as an hourly. Constant bad communication within departments.

Advice to Management

Be willing to pay more to employees to increase retention.

CET Agent

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Agent in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. The benefits are great.

Cons

Some of management is not good at leading their teams. The higher mgmt has a disconnect with the employees in the company. It is very hard to move up at the company. The pay is low in payment.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to workers. Increase more opportunities for advancement. Make actions to promises to company empolyees.

OK place to work until something better comes along I worked there for a year, 2013-2014

Former Employee - Phone Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Phone Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television

Pros

Excellent employee discount. Medical benefits. Nice co workers. Great vacation time 2-3 weeks per year depending on hours worked. The customers are great. They love the sales reps and love chatting with you about jewelry. They are usually elderly and looking for someone to chat with. They don't have handle time so you can take your time on a call as long as you get the sale. I would not make it a career. I would consider coming back part time as a second job just for the discount.

Cons

Having to climb three flights of stairs to call center, elevators reserved for HR and handicapped. Rediculous point system for attendance. Two points in any 90 day period allowed get a third and your fired, however most managers work with you on it. There is still an uncertainty of job security. They have a high turnover rate so bad that you barely get the chance to know anyone. The pay is low for a call center, raises once per year depending on your hire date. Some managers require their teeth to be pulled out before they help you with schedule issues. Call center employees are looked down on by the rest of the company. When they have their annual gem lovers conference, the call center employees parking is taken away reserved for customers. Employees (except for production and show hosts) have to park across the street and get shuttled in by security during the event. Keep in mind this is 24 hour call center, the parking ban for call center during the event does not get lifted at night even though there are no customers at night. Security won't shuttle you at two in the morning, you are forced to walk to your car in the dark. Thank God its only once a year and only 3-4 days long. They have sales bonus on upsale items only. Its a dollar per upsale sold and shipped. You can make pretty good money doing it if you are good at upsales, otherwise it does not add up. They just recently changed their shifts. Full time is required to work 6-10.5 hours a day not exceeding 38 hours a week. I don't mind working a 10.5 hour day if its overtime and I want to do it. I don't like it when I have no choice and it still doesn't add up to 40 hours. You can't give those awful shifts away on trade, no one wants them. Occasionally we got repeat prank callers saying nasty things. Upper management wouldn't do anything even when we would report the callers information on caller ID. All you could do was hang up. Oh and customer service and sales do not get along. They are on the same floor separate sides of the room. Sales reps stick with sales reps, and vice versa. I sat near some customer service reps once, I told a customer I would need to let them talk to customer service for an issue with a lost package, you should have seen the daggers in their eyes at me when I said that. They do hot seating, first come first served. If you get there and there are no seats, you have to sit in overflow crammed together so tight you can't move, you can't watch the show in overflow so if a customer calls and says I want that right now that she ha on, ( trust me that happens often) you have no idea what it is and the customer gets upset because their size is selling out.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your call center reps more. If not for them, you would not be raking in all that money. Stop treating them like they are a dime a dozen. On customer service appreciation day we got a banner hung up in the stair case that said customer service appreciation. Seriously, not even a cupcake or anything. Just a banner hung on the wall. I feel appreciated let me tell you. Some of us are not considered medically handicapped. Its hard to walk up all those stairs all the time carrying stuff. Please consider giving them elevator access. They can use HR elevators without having to go into production area. Please consider paying more. I would have bought more on discount if I could have been paid more. I never met the CEO and never heard from him, so I can't rate him.

Jewelry Television Response

Apr 24, 2015 – Talent Aquistion Team

Thank you for your comment. We always appreciate constructive feedback and welcome the opportunity to make Jewelry Television (JTV) an even better place to work. JTV fosters an open environment, so ... More

Cool place

Current Employee - Production
    Current Employee - Production

I have been working at Jewelry Television

Pros

money. Experience. Employees. Benefits. Employee discount.

Cons

schedule. Big fish little pond mentality. Favoritism

Poorly Managed Organization

Current Employee - Supervisor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, paid time off, lots of great people work within company.

Cons

Disconnected upper management team with very little retail experience and inability to lead, mentor and inspire employees. HR department is virtually non existent and offers no follow through on key business and employee needs.

Advice to Management

Lose the arrogance and superiority complex and focus on actually running the company and setting it up for long term success. Gain a better understanding of what various employees/departments do and have a genuine respect and appreciation for the contribution of others. Start holding yourself accountable and accept responsibility for your own actions and results. Learn to lead by example rather than by deception, blame shifting and intimidation.

Inbound Call Center Cattle Call

Former Employee - Telephone Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Telephone Agent in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers (non-management), easy script, employee discount, health insurance, onsite fitness facility, convenient location, paid weekly

Cons

Most of the direct contact, call center managers could care less about the team they supposedly are to lead. The interview process shouldn't even waste management's time because they will accept ANYONE whether or not they have a clear speaking voice or not. The training was a cattle call and only covered HALF of what was needed to effectively do a good job. FREEZING climate with MANY employees layered in blankets...seriously. No flexibility on behalf of management to switch shifts.

RSS Feed </> Embed