Jewelry Television

Add Photos

Jewelry Television President and CEO Tim Matthews

Tim Matthews

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good part-time job but definitely not a career

Customer Care, Sales Operator (Third Shift) (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

Prosflexible schedules and fun place to work. good place to meet interesting people while gaining experience in phone sales. Easy job to make extra money in hard economic times.

Consthe place is fulll of inexperienced managers and supervisors who like to wield the limited power they've been given on working stiffs who are just trying to make a few extra bucks to pay bills.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote more seasoned professionals into management

Not a typical IT shop

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsThe company allows for a good quality of life by not requiring too many hours per day. The work isn't too difficult and they use Scrum to try and manage the projects mostly eliminating the death march.

ConsIT personnel are required to be on call day and night and protect JTV systems and customer data but are still not trusted enough to skip the security check points. Only upper management can skip the check points. Pay raises are few and far between except for a select few individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating the IT personnel like they are trusted since they are being entrusted with system security.

Good learning experience

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFinancially stable
    Honest attempt to retain top talent
    Trying to become more proactive

ConsCan be unorganized at times
    They slide back into old ways of conducting business

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stuck in the old ways of doing business.

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsRelaxed environment, occasional opportunity to innovate.

ConsThe company is stuck in their old ways of doing business and management's only focus is the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe an innovator and not a "fast follower" of the competition.

Management Incompetent, Stress of Jobs Too Much To Hangle

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsConsistent Work Schedule, Friendly co-workers, Great Team Work Experience

ConsInadequate pay, management gives harsh reviews and low annual pay raises (3% pay raise if you far exceed their expectations and those are usually rewarded to relatives of upper management, extreme nepotism (jobs will not be posted internally but relatives of upper management or legal will receive a job with little to no job knowledge), HR does not look out for employees, extreme stress from micromanaging Management

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganize the entire middle to executive management personnel, promote from within and give the current staff room to advance, cut down on nepotism, replace the managers and directors in HR, Consumer Protection, Customer Care, Returns, Shipping, etc with individuals that have actual job knowledge and have no relations to founders or executive management, hire supervisors in Customer Care that can write emails the use proper English. Get it together and fix the problems that have longed plagued the company.

Near constant stress exasperated by stressed and disrespected middle management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsDiscounts on merchandise, high turnovers mean room for advancement.

ConsConstant surveillance, feels more like a prison than a workplace, hostile and rude talent goes unchecked by management, complete distrust from the top down, harsh penalties for legitiment use of sick leave, reviews are cruel and intended to scare employees

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if you distrust and treat your lower level employees like dirt, must we see our managers walking around like kicked dogs? Let them have some pride. Cussing is a no no, but hosts can berate and scream to their hearts content? Hold them to a higher standard.

Good potential to be a good job/career, but comes up very short.

Imager (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsConsistent, set schedules - good amount of paid time off - I get to leave work at work/0 stress - benefits including insurance and paid time off.

ConsIncredible amount of nepotism - no room for advancement - extremely poor pay - no raises - just enough training to get you on your own (1 1/4 days)

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job - be accountable - show up on time - be at work for more than 6 hours a day - don't rely on us and ask us to do important parts of YOUR job - if there's a problem, fix it instead of working around it - be transparent and let us know about things that are going on - acknowledge your workers when you walk in the door in the mornings

JTV is going downhill...

Various (Former Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsI worked at JTV for almost 10 years and saw what was once a great company with great founders who really cared about employees, customers, and the quality of the product they sold become a slowly sinking ship. I held many positions(each one improving my outlook and future) and had some wonderful bosses. Many wonderful people to work with. UNTIL THE BIG CHANGE IN THE SUMMER OF 2008.

ConsAfter 2008, the upper management looks at you like the crap on the bottom of their shoes, if they bother to look at you at all. Most of the time they are upstairs AWAY from all of the plebs, so they do not sully their presence. I was transferred when a new job was opened(not by choice, I was needed) and let me tell you that was the beginning of the end for me there. I was put under a person there who is the epitome of evil. Many people of longstanding are no longer at the company due to this person, who has VERY CLOSE PERSONAL TIES to upper management and has free reign to treat employees badly. I was one of those people, who had skills in almost every department of operations, but due to this person in management, who would give me a negative review EVERY TIME I tried to apply out of the department, I was passed on, and eventually fired because HR supports this persons every decision.
    The HR has gone way down hill. Once they were for employees, now they back the company 100%.
    Nepotism is rampant, and favorites are everywhere, spying for the management.
    HORRIBLE TO OPERATIONS AND CALL CENTER EMPLOYEES.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to look at how, when you were starting out, how you wanted to be treated by your managers. Think about how EVERYONE is struggling today, and have some compassion for them. Change your yearly evaluations back to what they used to be, and really reward people for their merits, and their knowledge, not what a manager says about them, necessarily. They are human too, and liable to lie just because they can. People in power are NOT perfect. The like and dislike the same as anyone else. You still have some good employees, try and keep them, and get rid of the lazy people that cannot be touched because of HR and the favoritism. People need money, not fancy gyms and a nurse onsite. Need money to feed their families, not JTV bucks to buy stuff they don't need. You get what you pay for.
    PLUS YOU NEED TO GET BACK TO QUALITY PRODUCT! AND BACK TO JEWELRY AND GEMSTONES ONLY!

Worked at Jewelry Television for 8 years and it was a good company except for IT Department which has management issues.

IT Support (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary
    Allot of great people there.
    Benefits are ok

ConsIT Department expects you to beg for your job, poor management
    Needs to return to a family atmosphere where people are treated with some respect
    Quit hiring so many family members
    Take care of the people you got, JTV use to be known for its employee's everyone wanted to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more family oriented, like the founder was
    Start taking care of the employee's and they will take care of you.
    Get rid of your IT management, I would look at the way other companies are run.

No Training. No Respect. Too much favoritism and nepotism.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsMy boss was awesome. He was the exception. He was a true mentor - which is shockingly rare at JTV - most managers are paranoid or insecure, and don't want to train their subordinates.

Cons1. The executive team (the CEO, CFO, and the two founders, Bob and Bill) has no professional retail management experience prior to JTV - and this is a retailer! As a result, they do a lot of dumb things, and they hire a lot of people because they like them, instead of hiring them because they have great experience with other retailers. The CEO is actually a pretty nice guy - he just has no retail experience - he's a lawyer by trade.
    2. The technology / systems are archaic. If you work with data, you'll be disappointed. You'd better be an Excel God.
    3. Nepotism - everyone is related to everyone else. There are no rules about hiring relatives. Unfortunately, as is usually the case anywhere, the relatives are usually unqualified, lazy, and seem to have a sense of entitlement.
    4. Favoritism - If you're "in", you've got it made. Managers here go through zero professional performance counseling training, and it shows. Performance reviews are given very inconsistently, and when they are given, the review is written to reflect how the reviewer feels about you, and reflects your relationship and popularity - it doesn't reflect your actual job performance. That's my personal observation - but many of my co-workers have made similar statements.
    5. Training - there isn't any. Competence is not a requirement (see #3 above). If you ask to attend a training seminar or class - you can - but you have to pay for it yourself - even it the knowledge will benefit the company. They simply do not invest in their people.
    6. All employees are disposable. I saw quite a few very valuable employees leave the company when they got better offers elsewhere. JTV will not give raises to most salaried employees, ever (unless you're one of the "in" crowd, but that's a very small group). They never make counteroffers. Consequently, you will not make much money here. I left in 2011, and wish I had left sooner.
    7. Advancement - they routinely hold people back. They have an internal job posting system, and people use it, but the "losing" managers can prevent people from applying or from LEAVING their role for months after they get a new role.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more professionals and pay them. There's just not very much talent at this company.

Worked for Jewelry Television? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jewelry Television reviews and ratings in Tennessee — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jewelry Television CEO Tim Matthews. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Jewelry Television employees.