Jewelry Television

Updated November 24, 2014
2.9

Jewelry Television President and CEO Tim Matthews
Tim Matthews

Pros
  • The employee discount we receive on jewelry purchases that we make (in 5 reviews)

• If they can resume the tremendous growth of the past few years, they will once again be a great company for which to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Only upper management can skip the check points (in 7 reviews)

• HORRIBLE TO OPERATIONS AND CALL CENTER EMPLOYEES (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun, Laid Back Call Center Environment

Current Employee - Phone Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Phone Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Extensive Inventory: literally thousands of products in varying degrees of quality
    - People: plenty of people from management to agents willing to assist a newbie
    - Environment: low stress, laid back
    - Sales Cycle: instantaneous
    - Management: mostly friendly & helpful
    - Benefits: medical/dental/life/supplemental/vision available to FT employees quickly (excellent package!), on-site campus perks, & amazing product discounts.
    - Flexibility: new scheduling system puts the employees in the drivers' seats and circumnavigates the middle man manager (phenomenal!)

Cons

Obviously, I'm a new call center sales agent and while I've heard grumblings amongst long time employees I've got to honestly say that JTV is doing phenomenally well by engaging even the newest call center agents, like myself, and offer us a great work place. Unless you work in a place called "heaven", there will always be aspects that don't sit right with some but you make it what you want it to be.

*Sales commissions addressed below in advice.

Advancement Opportunities: more please!
    Sales Bonuses: incentive program structured for the hunter sales mentality reps so that a percentage of net sales can be made available by meeting or exceeding transparent sales goals on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and/or annual basis.

Great if you don't wanna move up

Current Employee - Customer Care, Sales Operator (Third Shift) in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Third Shift management is getting their act together.
    Upsell bonus is a plus
    The ability to talk to different people around the United States.

Cons

No communication between departments.
    No clear direction for the call center.
    Limited mobility.
    Their is a possibility that if you do manage to get promotion you'll make less then as a Sales Operator.
    A long term corporate habit of making decisions without thinking them through.
    A sev

You know those business management books located in the call center. Read them.

Great place with some nice people.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some nice people here, and it's an interesting company. Always something new to learn. Things can change fast in some areas, so never a dull moment.

Cons

Managment always has too many things to focus on, and can't always decide which is most important with the resources available. Makes it difficult to get things accomplished sometimes.

Quality control. And there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Also, focus on what you're best at- not home decor.

Not a typical IT shop

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company allows for a good quality of life by not requiring too many hours per day. The work isn't too difficult and they use Scrum to try and manage the projects mostly eliminating the death march.

Cons

IT personnel are required to be on call day and night and protect JTV systems and customer data but are still not trusted enough to skip the security check points. Only upper management can skip the check points. Pay raises are few and far between except for a select few individuals.

Start treating the IT personnel like they are trusted since they are being entrusted with system security.

good part-time job but definitely not a career

Current Employee - Customer Care, Sales Operator (Third Shift) in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television part-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible schedules and fun place to work. good place to meet interesting people while gaining experience in phone sales. Easy job to make extra money in hard economic times.

Cons

the place is fulll of inexperienced managers and supervisors who like to wield the limited power they've been given on working stiffs who are just trying to make a few extra bucks to pay bills.

promote more seasoned professionals into management

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Financially stable
    Honest attempt to retain top talent
    Trying to become more proactive

Cons

Can be unorganized at times
    They slide back into old ways of conducting business

Stuck in the old ways of doing business.

Current Employee - Web Developer in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, occasional opportunity to innovate.

Cons

The company is stuck in their old ways of doing business and management's only focus is the bottom line.

Be an innovator and not a "fast follower" of the competition.

Management Incompetent, Stress of Jobs Too Much To Hangle

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Consistent Work Schedule, Friendly co-workers, Great Team Work Experience

Cons

Inadequate pay, management gives harsh reviews and low annual pay raises (3% pay raise if you far exceed their expectations and those are usually rewarded to relatives of upper management, extreme nepotism (jobs will not be posted internally but relatives of upper management or legal will receive a job with little to no job knowledge), HR does not look out for employees, extreme stress from micromanaging Management

Reorganize the entire middle to executive management personnel, promote from within and give the current staff room to advance, cut down on nepotism, replace the managers and directors in HR, Consumer Protection, Customer Care, Returns, Shipping, etc with individuals that have actual job knowledge and have no relations to founders or executive management, hire supervisors in Customer Care that can write emails the use proper English. Get it together and fix the problems that have longed plagued the company.

Near constant stress exasperated by stressed and disrespected middle management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time

Pros

Discounts on merchandise, high turnovers mean room for advancement.

Cons

Constant surveillance, feels more like a prison than a workplace, hostile and rude talent goes unchecked by management, complete distrust from the top down, harsh penalties for legitiment use of sick leave, reviews are cruel and intended to scare employees

Even if you distrust and treat your lower level employees like dirt, must we see our managers walking around like kicked dogs? Let them have some pride. Cussing is a no no, but hosts can berate and scream to their hearts content? Hold them to a higher standard.

JTV is going downhill...

Former Employee - Various in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Various in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at JTV for almost 10 years and saw what was once a great company with great founders who really cared about employees, customers, and the quality of the product they sold become a slowly sinking ship. I held many positions(each one improving my outlook and future) and had some wonderful bosses. Many wonderful people to work with. UNTIL THE BIG CHANGE IN THE SUMMER OF 2008.

Cons

After 2008, the upper management looks at you like the crap on the bottom of their shoes, if they bother to look at you at all. Most of the time they are upstairs AWAY from all of the plebs, so they do not sully their presence. I was transferred when a new job was opened(not by choice, I was needed) and let me tell you that was the beginning of the end for me there. I was put under a person there who is the epitome of evil. Many people of longstanding are no longer at the company due to this person, who has VERY CLOSE PERSONAL TIES to upper management and has free reign to treat employees badly. I was one of those people, who had skills in almost every department of operations, but due to this person in management, who would give me a negative review EVERY TIME I tried to apply out of the department, I was passed on, and eventually fired because HR supports this persons every decision.
    The HR has gone way down hill. Once they were for employees, now they back the company 100%.
    Nepotism is rampant, and favorites are everywhere, spying for the management.
    HORRIBLE TO OPERATIONS AND CALL CENTER EMPLOYEES.

You need to look at how, when you were starting out, how you wanted to be treated by your managers. Think about how EVERYONE is struggling today, and have some compassion for them. Change your yearly evaluations back to what they used to be, and really reward people for their merits, and their knowledge, not what a manager says about them, necessarily. They are human too, and liable to lie just because they can. People in power are NOT perfect. The like and dislike the same as anyone else. You still have some good employees, try and keep them, and get rid of the lazy people that cannot be touched because of HR and the favoritism. People need money, not fancy gyms and a nurse onsite. Need money to feed their families, not JTV bucks to buy stuff they don't need. You get what you pay for.
    PLUS YOU NEED TO GET BACK TO QUALITY PRODUCT! AND BACK TO JEWELRY AND GEMSTONES ONLY!