Jewish Federation of North America

Reset
3.4
CEO

1. great place to learn about fundraising

I worked at Jewish Federation of North America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Federation where i worked paid well. There is a pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

Many of the staff members are in it for themselves, their friends, and their status. i believe they believe in the mission, they sometimes have a strange way of relating to their employees. There was a culture of us vs. them. If you didn't fit in to their idea of the "right type" of fundraiser, you were looked at negatively.

Advice to Management

Think about trying new ideas, developing the staff you have, and helping them succeed even if they don't look or act the way you do. Some talented people have left the organization because the culture was not accepting of different ways of doing things.

2. Excellent Mission, Talented Professional and Lay Leaders / Challenges in Salary Escalation

I have been working at Jewish Federation of North America

Pros

Strong Work-Life Balance Flexible Environment Autonomy Quiet Environment

Cons

Lack of career growth Stagnant Salary Growth Complex Office Politics

3. Great nonprofit!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Jewish Federation of North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring and very involved in their work.

Cons

Pay could be a little better but still great place to work.

A Once great collection of organizations, now merged and floundering...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Jewish Federation of North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Organizational mission is superb. Chance to impact the quality of lives around the world. In the past, some excellent and experienced colleagues.

Cons

Poor leadership and a lack of colleagues with credible experience inside the operations of its primary clients - the Jewish Federations.

Advice to Management

Hire (or rehire) some of the more experienced professionals with real Jewish Federation work experience and proven track records at the national level. Hire a CEO with Jewish Federation experience. Eliminate those volunteer leaders who serve for their own aggrandizement. Never allow personal vendettas to shape agendas, especially in the personnel area (both internal hires, promotions & firings and Mandel Center executive searches on behalf of client federations).

6. Nice, quiet, small local Jewish organization

Former Employee - Event Planner in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Event Planner in Oakland, CA

I worked at Jewish Federation of North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coordinators, administrative and management staff are nice.

Cons

Co-workers are complacent and uninspired.

Advice to Management

They need to be more transparent and manage the Board and branding of the organization better.

7. Service for Jews in Need

I have been working at Jewish Federation of North America

Pros

Feeling of satisfaction that the work that you are doing for the Jewish community is making a difference

Cons

There is a whole lot of bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Trim the fat a bit

8. Too many committees to get anything accomplished

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jewish Federation of North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some excellent people still there who have managed to survive the layoffs, people who do their jobs, respect others and truly want to make a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

Most of the staff is completely unaccustomed to good planning; shooting from the hip is the norm. Committees run amok and are allowed to change entire programs at the eleventh hour. People get hired out of pure nepotism, and favoritism causes poor morale throughout the organization. Some department heads are simply lazy and refuse to be accountable for their work and their decisions.

Advice to Management

Establish clear-cut boundaries and job descriptions. Let people do their work, and give them honest, straightforward reviews.

9. Non- profit working to serve the needs of the Jewish community in San Diego and abroad.

I worked at Jewish Federation of North America full-time

Pros

A sense of community and the ability to stay connected with your peers. An opportunity to learn about Israel and the ways the Jewish community helps those in need across the globe.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth for those in entry level positions. The organization continues to follow traditional models.

Advice to Management

Try new approaches.

10. Opportunity to work for the organization at the center of the Jewish community in San Diego

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Jewish Federation of North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Connection with the community, meet many people qnd contribute to causes that you care about.

Cons

Very difficult to institute changes, bureaucracy, entrenched in models that worked in the past, may no longer be viable.

Advice to Management

Involve younger people in leadership, get input from all levels of staff.

11. They treat their employees badly, former employees worse.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Jewish Federation of North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Federation is closed on Saturdays and all Jewish holidays-- which isn't to say you won't be working Sundays and late every other night.

Cons

While one is employed there, Federation's supervisors will do everything they can to prevent employees from using their health insurance benefits (they boast wonderful coverage, but God forbid you try to use any of it), from taking sick/personal/vacation days-- or, frankly, from taking lunch or bathroom breaks. Federation pays support staff a pittance, while their many, many directors are payed quite well (evident from wardrobe and other showy expenses they'll take great pleasure lording over their support staff) and flown to Israel, Russia, etc. The target constituency is very affluent and expect to be catered to (which is fair); however, support staff are looked down upon for not being able to afford the most expensive designer clothing and are treated like personal servants. No matter the reason for leaving - whether you've been fired, quit, resigned to pursue another opportunity, health reasons, start a family - their unwritten policy is to burn your house down and salt the earth (something *several* former employees corroborated, contacting me after I left). A couple of recruiters put me on to the fact that former supervisors were giving harmful, poisonous and entirely untrue references-- illegal and something one wouldn't be aware of unless a recruiter or potential employer made one aware. They'll also go out of their way to block rightful unemployment benefits (flagrant lie after lie). It should be noted that while I was an employee at Federation, I worked seven days a week (taking work home for Saturday and Sunday), stayed late most weekdays (Note: I'm very hard-working, efficient and organized-- this was a two-person role, for which Federation only wanted to pay one employee). In the two-plus years I worked for Federation, I had no social life and only saw my parents once (see: *not allowed* to take vacation days). When I needed to go out of town for a close relative's funeral, I missed two days of work-- and was publicly dressed down and literally screamed at for missing those two days to bury my loved-one. By the time I left Federation, I was suffering from mental and physical exhaustion, walking pneumonia and a severe bronchial infection. Heaven forbid you're Jewish-- once you're a former Federation employee, you'll also find yourself effectively excommunicated from the Atlanta Jewish Community. Unless one is fortunate enough to score a department head position, one should avoid employment with this place. Actually, no-- avoid it altogether.

Advice to Management

One would think a Jewish nonprofit would hold itself to a higher standard. Grow a soul.

RSS Feed </> Embed