Jewson

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.8

Peter Hindle

Superb company to work for.

Current Employee - Trade Counter Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trade Counter Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A mix of people who all get along.

Cons

The company is short staffed.

Employ more people.

Jewsons...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Jewson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team, always welcoming and everyone worked well together. Worked 7am to 4pm Monday to Friday, gave me plenty of free time and do things I enjoy in my own times.

Cons

No incentives, worked lot's to improve the business, never got so much as a thanks when turned things around and in the end it made me want to leave as it didn't feel like I was doing anything worth while.

Treat staff better so they feel they are contributing towards the company.

Wonderful promises...Woeful experiences

Current Employee - Hgv Driver Hiab in Durham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Hgv Driver Hiab in Durham, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

close to home. good easy commute, day shift hours, total lack of need to perform at a high standard as no-one seems to care and NO-ONE will ever take any responsibility for anything...If its "just a job" you're after and not a rewarding career then its ok for that.

Cons

Poor wages, total lack of any relevant training to advance, its an easy job made hard by other people interfering in things they are not qualified or experienced in . Management will never take responsibility for anything and there in an ingrown culture of bullying and blame. Management will say and do anything to "tick" the boxes required but rarely implement procedures recommended. H&S is a paperwork exercise and actively encouraged to be ignored during normal working practises until it goes wrong and then there is a panic as management scramble to cover themselves and to appoint blame elsewhere, often with the injured party being disciplined or dismissed and often accident reports not being recorded so as not to affect the companies chances to attain industry awards. Advancement is rarely through ability but more of a social/sycophant accomplishment. Top management are out of touch and aloof and show an astonishing lack of empathy or interest in "lower" employees. Bonuses are constantly taken away from you due to restructuring and you are expected to work unpaid overtime without receiving the time back as promised and they do make things difficult for you if you refuse. Quite often pressurised into working with no breaks due to severe understaffing problems and employees with children are not helped with life events or social requirements with flexi-time at school holidays etc.

Remember your employees are human and not just a commodity. Reward staff for achievements and commitment . Understaffing is a major issue and breaks h&s guidelines on a daily basis. Wages need to be competitive and the fact that new employees and agency staff are paid more than long term employees is a major morale destroyer.

Join With Your Eyes Wide Open

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Jewson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I found my time working for the company to be a very negative and depressing experience and would strongly advise anybody contemplating employment with this organisations to think long and hard before accepting a position.

Cons

Where do I start? Maybe with a quote from a company employee during a meeting, it went something like this. "I don't want people working for me who have to drop the kids at school or pick them up from nursery, you have wives to do this".

I'd only been working for the company for a couple of weeks at this point but had made my mind up about the company and it's culture within 2 days of commencing my employment. My induction was a joke my manager had no idea what to do with me. He asked me to sign documents relating to Health & Safety and within 2 hours suggested I go home and we meet up again the following day. On this very same day other staff members were very negative about the company and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing as a new member of staff.

What's interesting about Jewson is that they have managers (not all) who have worked for the company from the age of 16/17 who started working in the yards filling bags of sand and now have responsibility for staff and a store/region with considerable turnover, they consider themselves to be "Rock Stars" and "untouchable" The downside is that these managers have no experience of working for other companies and are badly trained or have not had much exposure to continual development and have therefore picked up many bad management practices. The list is endless but what became apparent having visited a number of Jewson stores was a culture of bullying and passive aggressive behaviour directed at staff from management. I don't blame the individual managers I just don't think they know any better.

Jewson is a company that preaches about Health & Safety and rightly so as there have been to many deaths and injuries in the construction industry over the years. As part of your contract you are expected to sign a waiver relating to EU working time directives, very basically they can ask you to work all hours of the day if they decided this to be appropriate. The normal working hours at a Jewson store and this also includes field based staff are 0730 until 1700 (or until store locked) Monday to Saturday including Bank Holidays. There are staff within the stores turning up before 0700 and leaving after 1730 as cashing up and security checks need to be completed. I never came across one person who was given this time back. Not to mention field based sales staff driving considerable miles whilst tired and under pressure. One field sales executive was expected to attend a full day meeting in Yorkshire then drive to the Midlands for an evening event with clients and then return back to Lancashire after the event finished at midnight. Is this a good example of H&S practice?

Remuneration is not brilliant however Jewson are far from the worst when it comes to basic pay. However bonuses are a sore point with company staff. Bonus for field based sales staff is only paid once a year and is tied up in KPI's and the discretion of management. I was never paid a bonus as my employment didn't fall within a full sales year however other sales staff were miffed at not receiving bonus even when targets achieved. if you do qualify for bonus a percentage of this could be deducted if your branch experiences a H&S incident during the year. I suppose the bottom line here is that if you are a motivated sales person who want's to receive bonus/commissions on a regular basis Jewson is not the place to work. If you are happy to plod along and take home £1300/month + car or whatever package is being offered take the money and don't put your head above the parapet, the poorly trained managers will try and shoot you.

I found there to be very little support for new starters when I joined the company. I was invited to Coventry for a formal induction some 3 months after commencement of my employment, this made no sense and should of been during my first week of employment. Management talk a good game but when you push for support it's not given, this can include product training or joint visits to potential customers. There is just no joined up thinking between branch sales, regional sales and national sales. You can find yourself developing relationships and starting to generate business from a dormant customer and out of the blue a regional sales executive or national account manager comes along and makes a song and dance about branch sales executives taking their customers. Resulting in you passing this customer onto someone who has not generated any income from the customer in months and years in some cases. If you do take a job with Jewson don't expect to have access to a CMS systems such as SalesForce or ACT you will have to use an antiquated system that creeks at the edges and hasn't been properly populated and maintained with client data for years.

I was never micro-managed directly but all cars have trackers and managers will use this information to question you on what you have been doing. If you do your job properly you have nothing to worry about. One of the most negative and damaging part's of the week for the sales team was the Monday conference call with the RSM. I only had experience of one RSM but I would come away from the call depressed and totally demotivated. When I spoke with other sales executives they often felt the same and most felt the conference calls were a bit of a joke and not constructive. They are very rarely a positive experience and appeared to be used as a reason to kick sales executives.

I could go on but would advise anybody considering joining Jewson to do it with eyes wide open, they are not a great company to work for. If you do apply for a job and are accepted I would strongly advise you to spend a day or two in branch prior to accepting then make a decision. Remember the job interview process is not all one way!

Jewson could be a fantastic company to work for and company of this size should be aiming to be in the Times Top 50 companies to work for list. However there are historic problems within the business. It's a super tanker that can't be stopped and re-directed. This is such a shame as the backing of Saint Gobain should give employees confidence that they are working for financially secure and progressive business.

No suport, no tools to hire, untrained, unfocused staff.

Current Employee - Tool Hire Supervisor in Guildford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tool Hire Supervisor in Guildford, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opurtunity to buy into saint gobain shares, achieving bonus is possible if you box clever.

Cons

As a supervisor you are employed by tool hire, you are bonused by toolhire, your driver is employed by the branch and receives merchant bonus, so he profits from their gain, you will be over riden by your manager constantly.

A stand alone tool hire company would not take damaged equipment on the chin, we bill customers for damages! When a customer damages equipment and refuses to pay for it with the threat of not buying materials from you if we charge them, you are removing our means to income, too many branch manigers veto damage charges in favour of merchant spend.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Hgv Driver Hiab in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

I worked at Jewson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a great vision for the future and is very clear in what it wants and are regularly promoting produces

Cons

As a driver I noticed there was some unhappiness between managers and transport when the drivers became part of transport and not being controlled by the branch which in affect caused problems between drivers and branches

When trying to change things within the company try to listen to the employees who do the job day in and day out because sometimes the upper management don't always get it right

feel used

Current Employee - Yardie
    Current Employee - Yardie

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a good group of staff and and some brilliant customers but all of that dosent make up for the off days some staff can have making you feel 2 ft tall and some customers that are so rude it would make a vicar think twice about being true to his course. they are accommodating weather its the dentist or a funeral

Cons

if there's a problem then its like a storm in a tea cup every body sniping at each other, i think i can speak for every one in that nobody wants to work like that and nobody should im on minimum wage and the things i get trusted with and have to sort out i dont think is necessarily fair and nothing is done about over time take to night for an example its was 5:30 before i left and that was with a 30 minute lunch thats an hour of my life i wont get back and it hapends alot
    also then go on about heath and safety but dont think twice about sending one yardie out and leaveing only one in the yard by him self. if a stack of palettes were to topple over on me the office staff you move of there seats to see where i was, i would be left to die because there h&s is only in-forced when it suits them
    in a few week when im in the yard for two weeks alone when my co-workers on holiday its a 7:30 till gone 5 day with no lunch alone on a 8 till 5 contract

*1 sort out a system to record overtime it all adds up weather its paid at Christmas or along side wages
    *2 start a minimum amount of staff in a yard for h&s reasons
    *3 make more opportunity for a branch to bond and do teamwork exercises one rubbish Christmas doo a year dosent help and already stressed work group that dosent gel

de skilled under resourced lead by the blind

Current Employee - Tool Hire Supervisor
    Current Employee - Tool Hire Supervisor

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great share opportunities and thats it

Cons

no job training, no actual equipment to hire, unrealistic aims, constant conflict with merchant division

attempt to run the tool hire department as a hire company and not a gimmick, separate it from the merchant division, we seem to do their job but they cant do ours, a bit of training for the staff would be very useful which is why most of equipment is broken or missing bits

My boss tried to tie me down there for 3 years for no reason.

Former Employee - Sales Peron in Kirkwall, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Peron in Kirkwall, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Jewson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job security, brainless work, no difficulty. Ideal for anybody with no future wishes.

Cons

Everybody's attitude sucked. Being new to the company, everybody tried to pawn off their work on me.

Listen and have compassion with your staff. It's no wonder I left when you tried to get me to sign a contract to stick me which gave me absolutely no benefits whatsoever.

I still get job satisfaction 14 years on

Current Employee - Tool Hire Supervisor in Leighton Buzzard, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tool Hire Supervisor in Leighton Buzzard, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the team work well together, I love the customer banter ,the management encourages growth and development .you can make it a full time career .I started as a driver now tool hire supervisor it has been the best job I have taken and hopefully will continue with many more years to come .

Cons

the system pricing seems to be a major issue and we need to employ more staff ,we need to train up new people to cover the older generation that are retiring, Also retirees should still be able to keep there staff account when they retire s long as receiving the company pension , not just written off .

more training needs to be available , staff need to be informed more on changes , we need to invest in more staff for growth and move on to modern technology .