Jewson Reviews

20 reviews filtered by
2.6
Peter Hindle

1. Absolute shower of idiots

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None. They say things will change but they never do. Only the faces change. Large national company owned by a French parent company, so job security is pretty good unless you don't play ball or your face doesn't fit.

Cons

Expect you to work in your own time for no extra pay. Bonus system grossly unfair and unobtainable. Branch Managers are nothing more than back of the classroom bullies with zero charisma. Haven't met one with a true business brain yet. Branches work against each other. Managers snipe about each other behind backs. Stock system is ancient and a complete shambles. Branch properties are old, run down and often in a state of disrepair. Company preaches health and safety but give the employees no time to operate using the safety measures expected. I can go on all night.

Grow up. Stop acting like bully boys. Higher management need to stop making threats to lower management. Get rid of the Sales League tables that drive branches to stab each other in their backs. Sort out the ever over stretch transport system. Get more delivery trucks, forklift trucks, staff and much needed equipment, and get rid of company cars that sit on site doing nothing all day.

shamefull

Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at Jewson

Pros

paid on time , coffee and tea sugar if you take it all for free oh and milk oh heater in the toilet .

Cons

no training no staff no drivers no lunches no cover no holidays constant threat of closure which effecs morale no cleaners constant badgering for results with no staff no lorries , the dark art and guess work involved in the process of getting the customer what they need the long hours with no breaks .

i have no advice as i feel i have very little imput and management dont like the cart rocked and its to late because they have lost another good honest conscientious hard working multi tasking employee .

3. Driver

Current Employee - Hgv Driver 24 Years Service in Worthing, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson

Pros

Health and safety main concern, , love my job every day is different great lorry 26tonne man, great hmf crane love it,

Cons

To many winging people about the job, how many unemployed out there.

Train new drivers better, and safer.

Jewson could be great BUT..

I worked at Jewson full-time

Pros

Being part of a large company means job stability

Good Training Opportunities

Opportunities arise to move within Saint Gobain

Annual wage increase and benefit package

Great Health & Safety ethos and company standards

Cons

Skeleton staffing resulting in:
    High Stress
    Long Hours
    Large work load
    Loosing knowledgable to staff to competition

Archaic computer systems and practices

Warehouse staff and drivers can chain smoke undeterred

Branches pitted against each, other almost like franchises, which in turn breeds a negative attitude towards sister branches

Convoluted HR and Employment practices. Company seems inflexible and not fluid in any way

Working a Bank Holiday does not mean getting the whole day as holiday in lieu which is bad

Too many levels of management and unfair reward schemes make for low staff morale.

Sales teams and Branch Managers on better bonus structure than the front line, drivers and other branch staff which is ridiculous.
     And it breeds a culture of negativity and frustration. E.g, Drivers compare salaries and get disgruntled at the huge disparities. Fixed pay grades would resolve this issue. People doing the same work should get paid the same. That is business sense and creates positive working environment.

I could go on.....

Come on Jewson get rid of the shoddy managers and let the true stars in your company shine on. Customers buy from people and quality people are worth their weight in gold

Antiquated IT and lack of structure

Current Employee - Sales in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company care and private health care and staff discount

Cons

Where to start?

Far too lean on staff where it matters - i.e at the frontline and in branches.

Little investment in people development and training hence poor culture for H & S.

Some branches are falling apart, poorly lit and in adequately heated.

Poor or no communication across the business and many are left to their own devices. Also takes an age to get this actioned and resolved.

To much internal competition between brands which makes no business sense. Very old school attitude and culture by a male dominated workforce with no female senior managers in key roles.

No CRM system and ancient sales system. Too much focus on bottom line margin at the expense of actual strategic development. A miracle they make money.

Move with the times, operate like a forward thinking business and stop thinking in the past; Invest in people and systems, implement meaningful processes that achieve outcomes. Be professional!

7. Jewsons...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Jewson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team, always welcoming and everyone worked well together. Worked 7am to 4pm Monday to Friday, gave me plenty of free time and do things I enjoy in my own times.

Cons

No incentives, worked lot's to improve the business, never got so much as a thanks when turned things around and in the end it made me want to leave as it didn't feel like I was doing anything worth while.

Treat staff better so they feel they are contributing towards the company.

Wonderful promises...Woeful experiences

Current Employee - Hgv Driver Hiab in Durham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Hgv Driver Hiab in Durham, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

close to home. good easy commute, day shift hours, total lack of need to perform at a high standard as no-one seems to care and NO-ONE will ever take any responsibility for anything...If its "just a job" you're after and not a rewarding career then its ok for that.

Cons

Poor wages, total lack of any relevant training to advance, its an easy job made hard by other people interfering in things they are not qualified or experienced in . Management will never take responsibility for anything and there in an ingrown culture of bullying and blame. Management will say and do anything to "tick" the boxes required but rarely implement procedures recommended. H&S is a paperwork exercise and actively encouraged to be ignored during normal working practises until it goes wrong and then there is a panic as management scramble to cover themselves and to appoint blame elsewhere, often with the injured party being disciplined or dismissed and often accident reports not being recorded so as not to affect the companies chances to attain industry awards. Advancement is rarely through ability but more of a social/sycophant accomplishment. Top management are out of touch and aloof and show an astonishing lack of empathy or interest in "lower" employees. Bonuses are constantly taken away from you due to restructuring and you are expected to work unpaid overtime without receiving the time back as promised and they do make things difficult for you if you refuse. Quite often pressurised into working with no breaks due to severe understaffing problems and employees with children are not helped with life events or social requirements with flexi-time at school holidays etc.

Remember your employees are human and not just a commodity. Reward staff for achievements and commitment . Understaffing is a major issue and breaks h&s guidelines on a daily basis. Wages need to be competitive and the fact that new employees and agency staff are paid more than long term employees is a major morale destroyer.

No suport, no tools to hire, untrained, unfocused staff.

Current Employee - Tool Hire Supervisor in Guildford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tool Hire Supervisor in Guildford, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opurtunity to buy into saint gobain shares, achieving bonus is possible if you box clever.

Cons

As a supervisor you are employed by tool hire, you are bonused by toolhire, your driver is employed by the branch and receives merchant bonus, so he profits from their gain, you will be over riden by your manager constantly.

A stand alone tool hire company would not take damaged equipment on the chin, we bill customers for damages! When a customer damages equipment and refuses to pay for it with the threat of not buying materials from you if we charge them, you are removing our means to income, too many branch manigers veto damage charges in favour of merchant spend.

Join With Your Eyes Wide Open

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Jewson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I found my time working for the company to be a very negative and depressing experience and would strongly advise anybody contemplating employment with this organisations to think long and hard before accepting a position.

Cons

Where do I start? Maybe with a quote from a company employee during a meeting, it went something like this. "I don't want people working for me who have to drop the kids at school or pick them up from nursery, you have wives to do this".

I'd only been working for the company for a couple of weeks at this point but had made my mind up about the company and it's culture within 2 days of commencing my employment. My induction was a joke my manager had no idea what to do with me. He asked me to sign documents relating to Health & Safety and within 2 hours suggested I go home and we meet up again the following day. On this very same day other staff members were very negative about the company and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing as a new member of staff.

What's interesting about Jewson is that they have managers (not all) who have worked for the company from the age of 16/17 who started working in the yards filling bags of sand and now have responsibility for staff and a store/region with considerable turnover, they consider themselves to be "Rock Stars" and "untouchable" The downside is that these managers have no experience of working for other companies and are badly trained or have not had much exposure to continual development and have therefore picked up many bad management practices. The list is endless but what became apparent having visited a number of Jewson stores was a culture of bullying and passive aggressive behaviour directed at staff from management. I don't blame the individual managers I just don't think they know any better.

Jewson is a company that preaches about Health & Safety and rightly so as there have been to many deaths and injuries in the construction industry over the years. As part of your contract you are expected to sign a waiver relating to EU working time directives, very basically they can ask you to work all hours of the day if they decided this to be appropriate. The normal working hours at a Jewson store and this also includes field based staff are 0730 until 1700 (or until store locked) Monday to Saturday including Bank Holidays. There are staff within the stores turning up before 0700 and leaving after 1730 as cashing up and security checks need to be completed. I never came across one person who was given this time back. Not to mention field based sales staff driving considerable miles whilst tired and under pressure. One field sales executive was expected to attend a full day meeting in Yorkshire then drive to the Midlands for an evening event with clients and then return back to Lancashire after the event finished at midnight. Is this a good example of H&S practice?

Remuneration is not brilliant however Jewson are far from the worst when it comes to basic pay. However bonuses are a sore point with company staff. Bonus for field based sales staff is only paid once a year and is tied up in KPI's and the discretion of management. I was never paid a bonus as my employment didn't fall within a full sales year however other sales staff were miffed at not receiving bonus even when targets achieved. if you do qualify for bonus a percentage of this could be deducted if your branch experiences a H&S incident during the year. I suppose the bottom line here is that if you are a motivated sales person who want's to receive bonus/commissions on a regular basis Jewson is not the place to work. If you are happy to plod along and take home £1300/month + car or whatever package is being offered take the money and don't put your head above the parapet, the poorly trained managers will try and shoot you.

I found there to be very little support for new starters when I joined the company. I was invited to Coventry for a formal induction some 3 months after commencement of my employment, this made no sense and should of been during my first week of employment. Management talk a good game but when you push for support it's not given, this can include product training or joint visits to potential customers. There is just no joined up thinking between branch sales, regional sales and national sales. You can find yourself developing relationships and starting to generate business from a dormant customer and out of the blue a regional sales executive or national account manager comes along and makes a song and dance about branch sales executives taking their customers. Resulting in you passing this customer onto someone who has not generated any income from the customer in months and years in some cases. If you do take a job with Jewson don't expect to have access to a CMS systems such as SalesForce or ACT you will have to use an antiquated system that creeks at the edges and hasn't been properly populated and maintained with client data for years.

I was never micro-managed directly but all cars have trackers and managers will use this information to question you on what you have been doing. If you do your job properly you have nothing to worry about. One of the most negative and damaging part's of the week for the sales team was the Monday conference call with the RSM. I only had experience of one RSM but I would come away from the call depressed and totally demotivated. When I spoke with other sales executives they often felt the same and most felt the conference calls were a bit of a joke and not constructive. They are very rarely a positive experience and appeared to be used as a reason to kick sales executives.

I could go on but would advise anybody considering joining Jewson to do it with eyes wide open, they are not a great company to work for. If you do apply for a job and are accepted I would strongly advise you to spend a day or two in branch prior to accepting then make a decision. Remember the job interview process is not all one way!

Jewson could be a fantastic company to work for and company of this size should be aiming to be in the Times Top 50 companies to work for list. However there are historic problems within the business. It's a super tanker that can't be stopped and re-directed. This is such a shame as the backing of Saint Gobain should give employees confidence that they are working for financially secure and progressive business.

11. Superb company to work for.

Current Employee - Trade Counter Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trade Counter Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Jewson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A mix of people who all get along.

Cons

The company is short staffed.

Employ more people.