Jiffy Lube

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jiffy Lube President Rick Altizer

Rick Altizer

Pros:
  • "Free oil changes every 3 months after probationary period, and 50% off services at any other time"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Learned a lot from my co workers"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "LOW pay one time raise after 90 days and completion of computer based training"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management has no idea what goes on from store to store, only what the numbers are"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's a grind.

Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent computer based training, no previous automotive experience required.

ConsLong hours, low pay, can be very hectic, frequently hazardous working conditions, no climate control.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy specific franchise experience may be unique, but I think it would be important that an effort is made to improve employee working conditions.

horrible place to work. only good thing about working there...other employees. management doesn't care about employees.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat way to affordably perform maintenance on personal vehicle.

Constoo many to list. schedule, pay, lack of benefits, horrible sales expectations,

Advice to Senior Managementinclude pay raises, benefits, livable wages, try being honest once in a while.

Horrible Company

Savannah, GA

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pro's of this company are the benefits but are also the negative too. The wages are competitive but you do have people working in upper management and also doing other things that make more money who know less.

ConsThe bonus is split up between the " J-Team " which are your crew. 55% goes to your store manager who 80% of the time has nothing to do with getting the money up for the bonus much less does any of the work. 35% of this bonus is spilt between the CSA "customer service advisor" and the Assistant manager. In most cases the assistant is doing more work than the general manager. Then the leftover of 15% goes to the hod tech and the lower bay who do the most work. So from my point of view the ones making the most money get 55% while everyone else shares change and does all the work somewhat like how the company in general all runs. (2) When you need time off you have to give detailed reason as to where you're going, why you need to leave and how long it will take you to get there and back. If you have been with the company for a little while you may get some slack and I mean very little. The management will talk to you like you are trash and and so will the corporate. Before you make something worse than what it they want it they will get rid of you really quick. Turn over rates are very high. Corporate sucks, they act like the warden of a prison. They will cut hours and lie to you about raises and drag you a long for 6 months before you get the raise. You have to learn constantly about all the new stuff they're wanting to do and put in and not give you the pay raise to do it. They give you two days off very rarely will you get them back to back. Holidays you are asked but sometimes do not get the time and a half.Their motto should be Work before Family. No Exceptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees and work with them not against them. We have families and lives too.

meh..

Technician (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time for more than 5 years

Prosvery easy work, minimal training

Consno drug testing required to work at many locations, so basically you get to work with a bunch of slackers

Advice to Senior Managementpay your hard working employees more, whether they sell or not

Southlubes in and around Jacksonville,FL are crooks

Lube Tech (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time for more than a year

ProsNo background checks I worked with pedo's, convicts, sexist, racist, and rude employees and management however most of them were plesant to come to work with.

You can get a job no matter what walk of life you have, if you are willing to work.
Free oil changes if you can ever get a district manager to ok it.

Half off on select services.

Awesome co-workers and lower management. They aren't so bad, since you know its their bosses having them act the way they do.

ConsLOW pay one time raise after 90 days and completion of computer based training
Getting paid $7.79 /hr with no breaks and only get "lunches" when there is no cars to service to keep labor down. To also keep labor down you work of the clock if they get behind. Scheduled hours are not the hours you will always work. If there are no cars someone goes home to save money. You might end up taking a 3 hour lunch. You will eat and work at same time if there is no time for lunches.

No benefits unless you are in management.

Constant dirty, loud, and hot & humid work conditions.

Constantly being rushed to do jobs with broken equipment or missing tools for the job at hand.

Ripping off customers for less than advertised fluid capacities. IE requiring 4.2 quarts and being told to only use 4 or use different oil than the one sold on paper to save money.

Don't always think you will use new oil filters you don't. Managers blame car issues on the customers to prevent issues for issues.

Standing on the corner waving sign to get customers. Being all in black on a hot day is torture

Numerous EPA violations, due to aging, broken equipment that leaks on the floors. Having to pour chemicals mixed with mop water down drains to city sewage. Tanks are full or everything is just poured into the oil and coolant only tanks, like heavy duty concentrated degreasers, various oils and lubricants, transmission fluids, coolant and fuel that spill during services . Being told to dispose of used rags from services or cleaning into city garbage that are contaminated with oil, transmission fluid, and fuel and cleaners.

"Burn sleeves" keep hot fluids on skin and hurt a lot. The are usually slippery floors even with the proper and required shoes, during work hours. Leaky lower bay make it worse.

Contaminated fluids are told to be used for services, thus reducing the effectiveness and point of getting said services that you will then have to "sign off" on. IE A bucket of differential fluid getting water in them and contaminating them. Getting told by management to use them after a few squirts or bleeding out to get it to look right during inspection.

Upper Management has conference calls and franchise wide communications, with store managers to publicly have "chest beating" or "putting in the spotlight". They do this to either boast about 1 person and berate others for not meeting that days goals instead of doing it in person.
They make multiple calls a day for "numbers" to see if they sold items. This is to enforce that either numbers come up or you lose your bonus. Also this will have someone home or on extended lunch to reduce labor and cost of goods to make budgets, that they want met. They constantly move managers around from other stores to get try and get better "numbers". If they are not met, employees get a rough time for not getting car counts and extra services, because this is how their bonuses work there.

Store Managers are salaried, and forced to be at at work all times when scheduled. They are unable to leave for food or drinks, even if they work all day from 7:30 am to 7:30 or later on some days to save on labor costs since they don't count against numbers. Assistant Managers are also in this position if they work on store managers day off.

Having to pay for, and maintain all company uniforms provided by them at high costs in the first few paychecks. The shoes you have to buy from them only get a 30 day warranty. After that if they have a hole, ripped sole, or paint on them, you have to buy another pair of them. The shirts keep stains and smells on them after you use them a long time, even after laundering them. The safety glasses that you have to wear at all times in the bays fog up, get dirty, and are easily scratched up. After this they reduce visibility in under lit places, such as the "lower bay" or under car hoods in hard to reach places with low light. This is an easy way to get burnt this way.

Having to work with the threats of being fired or get hours cut, they tell us to rush work or cut corners. It seemed daily after awhile, if management feel it is not going fast enough. Offers of advancement or increased pay, in lieu of working long hours, without breaks or off the clock to complete working on cars or other tasks seems to be a daily reminder of how you are just a
means to an end by upper management and higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of changing prices, and using coupons all the time, keep services the same prices or bundled all year. This prevents customers from going elsewhere for business since they feel its a gimmick.

Please, buy , maintain, and have all of the proper tools needed for a job. There is no reason to not have a 13mm 14mm wrenches and sockets available for service. Also not buying tools that break all the time, like the filter cups for the oil filters or the sockets that split and the wrenches that break their tips during use would make work much more efficient.

Please, quit expecting your employees to be o.k. with no breaks "fake" extra long or no lunches everyday its not fair and more than likely illegal. You can't expect us to take low pay, no benefits, and miserable conditions and be professional around customers all the time. We get fed up with treatment like this.

Pay your workers a decent wage they can live on. and not just a 25 cent raise after 90 days. Promising there is advancement in a company and no more raises after a year until you take a management position and complete your computer training. Giving some benefits to employes that are not way over priced or lacking any real point in having.

Please, make work conditions more bearable, having a fan to cool off during super hot days makes it easier to work faster and comfortably. Do something with the floors to make them less slippery when the "lower bay" floods or rain enters the bays floors. I have seen a few people and employes slip and fall due to this.

Try have incentives for meeting goals sales or car counts for the day as an employee. Servicing 40 cars a day with 3 or less people is an accomplishment. Gatorade atleast for those super hot days when you cant leave to eat or get something cold to drink would be a start.

Understand numbers are important, not just car counts and sales but also the efforts to get those numbers. Complaining that you are not getting your moneys worth out of your employees
when the numbers are down for goals its not right as we can't make people come in for service. It It is not enjoyable to stand by the road all in black waving a sign in rain or shine all day and get complaints of no revenue. We know we need to try to meet car counts and sale, but atleast know we are trying to do as you ask. to earn our pay.

Don't try providing these extra services that most employees hardly ever do or know how to do earn a quick buck. Brake jobs and lighting either take too long or can be done improperly but can be done with proper training. You can use your employes who do "extra services" for helping customers and thank them. We agreed to work for you to make you money, don't penalize us for fixing parts or installing new ones. This makes them happy and should not be penalized if they offer to tip or offer to buy them a drink. If they don't have other cars during store hours on company property, this sort of thing can generate positive advertising and revenue.

Please make it possible to waive certain safety equipment use. Those safety glasses are the worst. If we can sign documents about working in conditions of smoke, emissions and heat, we could make this possible to be in charge of taking care of our own eyes.

Reward employees who are willing to travel on their own dime and time, to cover a shift of a store they don't live by as a favor to you. It's only fair.

Overworked and Undervalued

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Saint George, UT

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work was straight forward yet educational. I learned a lot while working here.

ConsThe management pushed every employee to their limit. They tried to get as much work as possible with as little compensation/recognition as possible. They motivated people with the fear of losing their jobs and treated the employees as disposable. They were so focused on increasing sales that they didn't care how they achieved it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive motivation can be much more effective than negative motivation. When you treat every employee as disposable then you will only get the bottom of the barrel for employees.

Manager

Manager (Former Employee)
Turnersville, NJ

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat working enviorment and customers

ConsLong hours and weekends a must

Great starter job

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Jiffy Lube part-time for more than a year

ProsFun, fast-paced working environment. As long as your team knows what they are doing the day goes by fast and can be fun. No experience needed to start out here, I started in high school and got 2 years of customer service experience out of it- learned a lot about car maintenance also.

ConsThe district manager I had didn't motivate, just said we better make the goals. The manager was excellent he knew exactly what needed to be done and could manage problems effectively. Wouldn't expect to grow much within the company- good job for high school - college. If you stay long enough you can get promoted but it won't be too exciting.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind your stars and bring them to management. Be innovative don't just follow the numerous other quick-lube shops.

its a a very sales driving job

CSA Floor Manager (Current Employee)
Lakewood, CA

I have been working at Jiffy Lube part-time for less than a year

Prosa nice working environment with somewhat good perks

Consalot of irate customers about not getting maintenance done. if business is slow someone goes home early

Lies upon li lies

Lube Tech (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time for more than a year

Prospretty much only work when theres cars in the shop free cofee

Consmanagement lies about everything. Was told I would be given rises every three mounhts 1yr later I was told by the manager heartland is never giving anyone rises. The shop is fall apart no hot water and birds are living in the bays . No hot water for over 5moiths. And I work 8_7 with no lunch breaks

Advice to Senior Managementu get what u pay for. You want $9s an hour type employes dont get mad when they only give u $9 an hour work

Worked for Jiffy Lube? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jiffy Lube reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jiffy Lube CEO Rick Altizer. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by Jiffy Lube employees.