Jiffy Lube

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jiffy Lube President Rick Altizer

Rick Altizer

Pros
  • Free oil changes every 3 months after probationary period, and 50% off services at any other time(in 6 reviews)

• Learned a lot from my co workers(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • LOW pay one time raise after 90 days and completion of computer based training(in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has no idea what goes on from store to store, only what the numbers are(in 11 reviews)

Empty Wallet. Migraine.

CSA (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsYou get a free oil change every three months and discounts on parts through AutoZone or Oriellys.

ConsThe pay is HORRIBLE. They treat their techs like peasants. They want to become a full service shop now of days but not really increase your pay. They'll hire people who are way above expierence, and then they hire people that can't read a dipstick after training still and screw up peoples cars.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear management, take advice from tech's and csa's. All you care about is numbers, but i'm sure if you listened to some of us the CSS score would go up and along with sales. I mean we are the bottom of the todom pole. So we do have ideas that would help improve numbers so our salaries would improve. Also, get out of walmart. Walmart is only making profit on you and causing issues. From listing to guest, they liked it better before Jiffy Lube came in anyways. They aren't fans of your pricing.

I'm sure if you did what valovline does. " if your oil change isn't done in 15 mins its free".
    Maybe that would make your bay times better because people would actually hussle instead of just thinking " its just a oil change place for low pay"

Terrible company to work for.....

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAnyone can get hired no education or GED required.

ConsLow pay, poor training, bad management, no room for promotion, low hours, no bonus incentives, if you pay minimum wage you are going to get minimum employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo and work in a store yourself and see how purely idiotic your policies and target bay times really are... I want to see you physically do an oil change in 8 min or less using your guidelines on a VW Beetle with a skid plate or an H3 with two skid plates or a fuel filter change on an E150 with the 6 bolt panel in the way... Your goals are unrealistic yet you penalize employees for not doing it fast enough.. When you rush people... that's when mistakes and injuries occur.....IDIOTS.

Sink Or Swim Do Or Die

General Manager (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsI don't have any pros for heartland.

ConsI could list con's all night long, but I will try to keep it short. I was hired on as a FTM (Fast Track Manager). It is supposed to be a 3 month training program. This is what really happens: From day one you quickly learn that you will be working open to close everyday 7:30am-7:00pm. You may or may not get a day off since they like to schedule any special training on those days or need to go in and work because you have no staff. You do not actually get training as you should, instead the Manager of the store they throw you in uses and abuses you as free labor to their store. You quickly see that none of the Jiffy Lube Managers or employees are honest and they do not do hold true to any policies as they should. When the nightmare of training is over they threw me in the most run down store possible and walked off(900 W 5th ave). I was more than shorthanded and didn't know how to do any of the office stuff (ie, paperwork, ordering, claims, etc). As a Manager you can plan on working open to close everyday with no lunch or break. They will work you to death. This is the only job I have ever had where I was hired on as a Manager and they treated me like trash and could have cared less about me....from day one. Did I mention that they are constantly sending texts and emails all day long reminding you how if you don't hit your sales goals you wont last long. I will say that I think Jiffy Lube the company is a good company, but out here in Ohio it is actually Heartland Automotive using the Jiffy Lube name. Heartland Automotive is a heartless company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was a FTM that was forced in to becoming a GM after 2 months of being with the company. I was let go today because I could not turn a store around that I had one employee that was certified and three new employee's in a 40 plus store. In the future you should transfer employee's to a store that needs them and not force a store employee's and a GM to work 2 an half weeks straight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They don't care about their employee's,

GSA (Current Employee) Los Alamitos, CA

ProsNone, there are no Pros.

ConsThey don't care about their employee's,

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employee's

Horrible place to work!!!!!!! You are treated like nothing!!!!!! Customers are very rude!!!

Lube Tech (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsCo-workers
    you can smoke
    no drug test ever,unless you fall
    you can get away with destruction of customers cars

ConsTerrible pay
    long hours
    horrible upper management
    no drug test required
    poor equipment
    no vacation
    no advancement
    ex cons working there
    half the employees have no license
    meat market
    Young immature kids
    nasty management
    rude management
    BAD PAY
    thieves
    no proper documentation on vehicles damaged
    did I mention bad pay.....seriously
    They work you like a dog
    7.00-8..25 hr pay if that..... mc Donalds offers more
    they will break promises

Advice to Senior Management....... never mind no advancement and even with it There's no money
    you have to get a back brace.

Not the company but this specific franchise

General Manager (Current Employee) Baldwin, NY

ProsFranchise company, different owners, smaller franchises take care of the employees and you have the opportunity work hand in hand with owners

ConsFranchise company, larger franchises treat their employees like crap so they have a large turnover rate and it's extremely difficult to get in touch with the owners in case if anything

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the actual jiffy lube owners take a look at some of your larger franchise owners cause they're giving your company a bad name

It was okay

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood job for some experience

ConsLong hours, not very good pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to care about about your employees

Long hours, no breaks, and low pay

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsBetter than no job... that's about it. They will hire even if you have little to no experience, but will that against you to prevent promotions or raises.

ConsWork in 100 degree temperatures for 12 hours a day and sometimes no breaks. Constantly pushed to work faster and talked down to. If you are in sale they press you to sell even if they are unnecessary. They will guilt you about anything you ask for like a day off, break, go home at your scheduled time and not stay an extra 2 hour, and fix your hours worked because they some how reduced. Jiffy Lube starts wages low for "training" but won't give you a raise and promise you bonuses which don't actually exist for 99% of the employees. Don't make the same mistake I did by taking this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your resume and move on like I plan to.

Southlubes in and around Jacksonville,FL are crooks

Lube Tech (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsNo background checks I worked with pedo's, convicts, sexist, racist, and rude employees and management however most of them were plesant to come to work with.

You can get a job no matter what walk of life you have, if you are willing to work.
    Free oil changes if you can ever get a district manager to ok it.

Half off on select services.

Awesome co-workers and lower management. They aren't so bad, since you know its their bosses having them act the way they do.

ConsLOW pay one time raise after 90 days and completion of computer based training
    Getting paid $7.79 /hr with no breaks and only get "lunches" when there is no cars to service to keep labor down. To also keep labor down you work of the clock if they get behind. Scheduled hours are not the hours you will always work. If there are no cars someone goes home to save money. You might end up taking a 3 hour lunch. You will eat and work at same time if there is no time for lunches.

No benefits unless you are in management.

Constant dirty, loud, and hot & humid work conditions.

Constantly being rushed to do jobs with broken equipment or missing tools for the job at hand.

Ripping off customers for less than advertised fluid capacities. IE requiring 4.2 quarts and being told to only use 4 or use different oil than the one sold on paper to save money.

Don't always think you will use new oil filters you don't. Managers blame car issues on the customers to prevent issues for issues.

Standing on the corner waving sign to get customers. Being all in black on a hot day is torture

Numerous EPA violations, due to aging, broken equipment that leaks on the floors. Having to pour chemicals mixed with mop water down drains to city sewage. Tanks are full or everything is just poured into the oil and coolant only tanks, like heavy duty concentrated degreasers, various oils and lubricants, transmission fluids, coolant and fuel that spill during services . Being told to dispose of used rags from services or cleaning into city garbage that are contaminated with oil, transmission fluid, and fuel and cleaners.

"Burn sleeves" keep hot fluids on skin and hurt a lot. The are usually slippery floors even with the proper and required shoes, during work hours. Leaky lower bay make it worse.

Contaminated fluids are told to be used for services, thus reducing the effectiveness and point of getting said services that you will then have to "sign off" on. IE A bucket of differential fluid getting water in them and contaminating them. Getting told by management to use them after a few squirts or bleeding out to get it to look right during inspection.

Upper Management has conference calls and franchise wide communications, with store managers to publicly have "chest beating" or "putting in the spotlight". They do this to either boast about 1 person and berate others for not meeting that days goals instead of doing it in person.
    They make multiple calls a day for "numbers" to see if they sold items. This is to enforce that either numbers come up or you lose your bonus. Also this will have someone home or on extended lunch to reduce labor and cost of goods to make budgets, that they want met. They constantly move managers around from other stores to get try and get better "numbers". If they are not met, employees get a rough time for not getting car counts and extra services, because this is how their bonuses work there.

Store Managers are salaried, and forced to be at at work all times when scheduled. They are unable to leave for food or drinks, even if they work all day from 7:30 am to 7:30 or later on some days to save on labor costs since they don't count against numbers. Assistant Managers are also in this position if they work on store managers day off.

Having to pay for, and maintain all company uniforms provided by them at high costs in the first few paychecks. The shoes you have to buy from them only get a 30 day warranty. After that if they have a hole, ripped sole, or paint on them, you have to buy another pair of them. The shirts keep stains and smells on them after you use them a long time, even after laundering them. The safety glasses that you have to wear at all times in the bays fog up, get dirty, and are easily scratched up. After this they reduce visibility in under lit places, such as the "lower bay" or under car hoods in hard to reach places with low light. This is an easy way to get burnt this way.

Having to work with the threats of being fired or get hours cut, they tell us to rush work or cut corners. It seemed daily after awhile, if management feel it is not going fast enough. Offers of advancement or increased pay, in lieu of working long hours, without breaks or off the clock to complete working on cars or other tasks seems to be a daily reminder of how you are just a
    means to an end by upper management and higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of changing prices, and using coupons all the time, keep services the same prices or bundled all year. This prevents customers from going elsewhere for business since they feel its a gimmick.

Please, buy , maintain, and have all of the proper tools needed for a job. There is no reason to not have a 13mm 14mm wrenches and sockets available for service. Also not buying tools that break all the time, like the filter cups for the oil filters or the sockets that split and the wrenches that break their tips during use would make work much more efficient.

Please, quit expecting your employees to be o.k. with no breaks "fake" extra long or no lunches everyday its not fair and more than likely illegal. You can't expect us to take low pay, no benefits, and miserable conditions and be professional around customers all the time. We get fed up with treatment like this.

Pay your workers a decent wage they can live on. and not just a 25 cent raise after 90 days. Promising there is advancement in a company and no more raises after a year until you take a management position and complete your computer training. Giving some benefits to employes that are not way over priced or lacking any real point in having.

Please, make work conditions more bearable, having a fan to cool off during super hot days makes it easier to work faster and comfortably. Do something with the floors to make them less slippery when the "lower bay" floods or rain enters the bays floors. I have seen a few people and employes slip and fall due to this.

Try have incentives for meeting goals sales or car counts for the day as an employee. Servicing 40 cars a day with 3 or less people is an accomplishment. Gatorade atleast for those super hot days when you cant leave to eat or get something cold to drink would be a start.

Understand numbers are important, not just car counts and sales but also the efforts to get those numbers. Complaining that you are not getting your moneys worth out of your employees
    when the numbers are down for goals its not right as we can't make people come in for service. It It is not enjoyable to stand by the road all in black waving a sign in rain or shine all day and get complaints of no revenue. We know we need to try to meet car counts and sale, but atleast know we are trying to do as you ask. to earn our pay.

Don't try providing these extra services that most employees hardly ever do or know how to do earn a quick buck. Brake jobs and lighting either take too long or can be done improperly but can be done with proper training. You can use your employes who do "extra services" for helping customers and thank them. We agreed to work for you to make you money, don't penalize us for fixing parts or installing new ones. This makes them happy and should not be penalized if they offer to tip or offer to buy them a drink. If they don't have other cars during store hours on company property, this sort of thing can generate positive advertising and revenue.

Please make it possible to waive certain safety equipment use. Those safety glasses are the worst. If we can sign documents about working in conditions of smoke, emissions and heat, we could make this possible to be in charge of taking care of our own eyes.

Reward employees who are willing to travel on their own dime and time, to cover a shift of a store they don't live by as a favor to you. It's only fair.

Overworked and Undervalued

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Saint George, UT

ProsThe work was straight forward yet educational. I learned a lot while working here.

ConsThe management pushed every employee to their limit. They tried to get as much work as possible with as little compensation/recognition as possible. They motivated people with the fear of losing their jobs and treated the employees as disposable. They were so focused on increasing sales that they didn't care how they achieved it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive motivation can be much more effective than negative motivation. When you treat every employee as disposable then you will only get the bottom of the barrel for employees.

Worked for Jiffy Lube? Contribute to the Community!