Jim Koons Automotive

Be The First To
Add Photos

James E. Koons

OK place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to work independently and do what I believed was best.

ConsNot much chance of moving up

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a career path for employees

No BDC respect at Lexus of Wilmington

BDC (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsAverage at best work environent, nice break room nice building and clean. As a small group we try to get along the best we can.

ConsThe General Manager has been with Koons for a long time but too long here and needs to be transferred. He really shows us little respect to employees and causes a hostile environent. Lately too many changes with resignations and terminations. Advisors argue with us and are pressured to get sales or be terminated

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your staff and yourself and demand mutual respect between each other. The atmosphere is tense and stressful. CRM Leigh adds to stress

Hell on Earth

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGood automotive product line with great customers who expected the best service experience possible from the service and cashier staff.

ConsI worked with one of the most pompous and disrespectful GM's ever. He would rarely even acknowledge the service staff and always mentioned which techs and advisors should be fired. Allowed a very inconsiderate advisor to remain on board due to his selling skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn this ever changing automobile business you need to listen to your staff of managers and employees rather than belittling and humiliating them. Also by seeing and hearing the GM impersonate Techs in the Managers meetings, look for positives and build a team atmosphere and allow your staff to build a team, not divide it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't expect to have a personal life while working here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDriven to provide good customer service to customers and working with the few people that you could trust.

ConsLack of communication, growth and personal time. They make money off their own employees by fining them for obscure reasons.

A mix of the good and the bad. Just depends who is at the helm of the store.

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI have to say the Pro's outweighed the Con's. The atmosphere on the most part left you independent enough to know what you needed to do, to grow personally. The automakers provide you with so much training and Koons focuses on certifying it's employees. It rewards it's employees for hard work with bonuses, meals and awesome parties for our families throughout the year.

ConsIt is competitive. Management is typically stressed and sometimes it shows. Especially with attitudes towards employees. It depends on who the manager is. They are not all the same. They are quick in realizing when someone doesn't work out and they will try to help that person if not invite them to go somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be cocky with how much you make. I've had managers show off they're "bonuses" when there are sales people struggling to make a living.

Best place I have ever worked.

Parts and Service Director (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe general manager focuses on doing what is right. The staff and the management team work together and are amazing people. I learned a lot there and Ifeel like I have made lifetime friends.

ConsThere are no cons if you are willing to work and have positive results. This is not a place for people that are not able to perform well at multiple levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, keep the employees and the clients first.

Trifling

Service (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsGood pay for if you need to get by for the mean time

ConsManagement a bunch of rude snobby people that think they can control you and be disrespectful at the same time i working there a some scratches on some rims happened after hitting a pot hole the car bounced into the curb. So they made me pay for it i was ok with that but when i got to the end of paying them off i go into work and get let go with out an explanation i was only there for 15 mins. When i got my last pay-stub there wasn't any money in it so basically all the hours i put in and did i worked for free. Which messed me up for the next two weeks wasn't able to pay my bills. The management puts on a front as if they your friend and try to be friendly but its all crap. They are straight disgusting with how stuff is run.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some respect for your employees that are actually doing the work to make you look better.

The longer you stay, the more frustrating it gets, as talented co-workers leave the company; greedy management.

Automotive Technician (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros-Learning the politics and behind the scenes at a Dealership.

-A good technician and service writer relationship correlates with high pay.

-Salary increases are possible... timing is everything... and ASE certifications.

-Technicians can work on personal vehicles so long as there is a repair order.

-Free lunch on Saturdays.

-Commission based pay: working from open to close every day will benefit you very much.

-Best techs are not necessarily paid the most: this is good if you are young and fresh.

-Smaller scale dealership with many customers from March to October.

-Management will send you to factory training if good work ethic is displayed.

-Good technician environment: technicians work together.

Cons-Personnel changes for Service Writers, Salesmen and Managers are too frequent (service writers every 6 months).

-Service writers or lead techs distribute work so service techs have to be politically correct with them.

-Commission based pay for skilled technicians.

-You are married to the cars you service: bad when the customer hates dealership management and writes a horrible review about you and your service writer every time.

-To be a top paid technician, you and your service writer need to work 6 days / 70-80 hours a week. If you or your service writer is not there, your customers will be distributed to another employee, unless it's that problem car you are married to.

-Service Department Customer Reviews are based on repair and customer service.. it affects techs, service writers and managers... not valet attendants, cashiers, greeters, stalker sales reps or parts guys who can be inconsiderate in person or over the phone.

-Be careful where you park your personal car, the neighbors who live by the dealership does not like you.

-The computer system and labor hours are outdated.

-Parts Department is disorganized... the excuse... "it's backordered."

Advice to Senior Management"Better before Bigger" was the motto before it has gotten big and ugly that definitely will "wow ya." This company was great when I started. It was filled with ambition, drive and direction... there was celebration and there was competition. Now, I wish I had not worked so hard to help this greedy CEO and his team around him to succeed.

For a CEO, who started out by washing cars at a dealership working his way up to then acquire a dealership from Mr. Kline in 1991, it is regretful that a respected worker, Mr. Jim Koons is only looking at the $$$$$$$ in his own pocket. It is hard to like someone who does not give back something to his employees, who work so hard designed by his demanding business model. I respect Mr. Koons for his financial success, however, it's sad to see how the vision for the company has changed in recent years and how the company currently operates.

Selling Cars

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsThe money if you actually can sell them.

ConsNot being able to close deals.

Great place

Clerk (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-friendly atmosphere
    - great management
    - helpful people

Cons- very busy
    - fast-paced environment

Advice to Senior Management- keep hiring younger grads

Worked for Jim Koons Automotive? Contribute to the Community!