Jim Koons Automotive

Updated May 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James E. Koons

A mix of the good and the bad. Just depends who is at the helm of the store.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI have to say the Pro's outweighed the Con's. The atmosphere on the most part left you independent enough to know what you needed to do, to grow personally. The automakers provide you with so much training and Koons focuses on certifying it's employees. It rewards it's employees for hard work with bonuses, meals and awesome parties for our families throughout the year.

ConsIt is competitive. Management is typically stressed and sometimes it shows. Especially with attitudes towards employees. It depends on who the manager is. They are not all the same. They are quick in realizing when someone doesn't work out and they will try to help that person if not invite them to go somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be cocky with how much you make. I've had managers show off they're "bonuses" when there are sales people struggling to make a living.

Don't expect to have a personal life while working here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDriven to provide good customer service to customers and working with the few people that you could trust.

ConsLack of communication, growth and personal time. They make money off their own employees by fining them for obscure reasons.

Best place I have ever worked.

Parts and Service Director (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsThe general manager focuses on doing what is right. The staff and the management team work together and are amazing people. I learned a lot there and Ifeel like I have made lifetime friends.

ConsThere are no cons if you are willing to work and have positive results. This is not a place for people that are not able to perform well at multiple levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, keep the employees and the clients first.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trifling

Service (Former Employee)
    Silver Spring, MD

ProsGood pay for if you need to get by for the mean time

ConsManagement a bunch of rude snobby people that think they can control you and be disrespectful at the same time i working there a some scratches on some rims happened after hitting a pot hole the car bounced into the curb. So they made me pay for it i was ok with that but when i got to the end of paying them off i go into work and get let go with out an explanation i was only there for 15 mins. When i got my last pay-stub there wasn't any money in it so basically all the hours i put in and did i worked for free. Which messed me up for the next two weeks wasn't able to pay my bills. The management puts on a front as if they your friend and try to be friendly but its all crap. They are straight disgusting with how stuff is run.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some respect for your employees that are actually doing the work to make you look better.

The longer you stay, the more frustrating it gets, as talented co-workers leave the company; greedy management.

Automotive Technician (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

Pros-Learning the politics and behind the scenes at a Dealership.

-A good technician and service writer relationship correlates with high pay.

-Salary increases are possible... timing is everything... and ASE certifications.

-Technicians can work on personal vehicles so long as there is a repair order.

-Free lunch on Saturdays.

-Commission based pay: working from open to close every day will benefit you very much.

-Best techs are not necessarily paid the most: this is good if you are young and fresh.

-Smaller scale dealership with many customers from March to October.

-Management will send you to factory training if good work ethic is displayed.

-Good technician environment: technicians work together.

Cons-Personnel changes for Service Writers, Salesmen and Managers are too frequent (service writers every 6 months).

-Service writers or lead techs distribute work so service techs have to be politically correct with them.

-Commission based pay for skilled technicians.

-You are married to the cars you service: bad when the customer hates dealership management and writes a horrible review about you and your service writer every time.

-To be a top paid technician, you and your service writer need to work 6 days / 70-80 hours a week. If you or your service writer is not there, your customers will be distributed to another employee, unless it's that problem car you are married to.

-Service Department Customer Reviews are based on repair and customer service.. it affects techs, service writers and managers... not valet attendants, cashiers, greeters, stalker sales reps or parts guys who can be inconsiderate in person or over the phone.

-Be careful where you park your personal car, the neighbors who live by the dealership does not like you.

-The computer system and labor hours are outdated.

-Parts Department is disorganized... the excuse... "it's backordered."

Advice to Senior Management"Better before Bigger" was the motto before it has gotten big and ugly that definitely will "wow ya." This company was great when I started. It was filled with ambition, drive and direction... there was celebration and there was competition. Now, I wish I had not worked so hard to help this greedy CEO and his team around him to succeed.

For a CEO, who started out by washing cars at a dealership working his way up to then acquire a dealership from Mr. Kline in 1991, it is regretful that a respected worker, Mr. Jim Koons is only looking at the $$$$$$$ in his own pocket. It is hard to like someone who does not give back something to his employees, who work so hard designed by his demanding business model. I respect Mr. Koons for his financial success, however, it's sad to see how the vision for the company has changed in recent years and how the company currently operates.

Selling Cars

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsThe money if you actually can sell them.

ConsNot being able to close deals.

Great place

Clerk (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros-friendly atmosphere
    - great management
    - helpful people

Cons- very busy
    - fast-paced environment

Advice to Senior Management- keep hiring younger grads

No work/life balance

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Tysons Corner, VA

ProsCommission based sales, 'potential' for hefty paychecks, you get to familiarize yourself with the latest car models, large dealership with other centers throughout Washington, DC metro area.

ConsBe prepared to make endless sales calls and emails to prospective clients. It is borderline badgering to clients and aggravating because management can be so obtuse. You work 6 days a week and kiss your weekend liberties good-bye as they the biggest day for sales. Consider your coworkers your adversaries, they will steal your sales if your not around, be careful who you trust. Horrible work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales people are the lifeblood of any car dealership, give your employees more time off and allow them to personalize their desks and working area with more than just 1 family photo. I like to interact with Sales Consultants who are more than just drones. I never felt I was valued as an employee which is why I left for a better job.

Sales...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCar dealerships rarely change their approach. If you can move 5-10 cars a month employment is usually very stable.

ConsComes down to who you have by your side to support you when it comes time to close the deal. Deliberate sabotage has been seen at all levels of the process, just a matter of knowing who's working, and having your clients come in to finish up / take delivery on days you trust in your staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh pressure sales tactics will sell cars. They also work against you twofold - You'll rarely see that customer again and employees with any sort of moral compass thend to produce less and move on.

Shady place to work

Express Lube Tech (Former Employee)
    Annapolis, MD

ProsThe other employee's were nice

ConsI only made $8.50 an hour as an Express Lube Tech and when i started my boss told me that they moved people up very quickly which was a lie. No one got raises.The managers don't care about the people they hire for tech jobs. I was let go due to attendance problems even though the majority of the time i was out i brought in a Doctors note and my boss always refused to take it and now they refuse to pay me my last paycheck. If you have a choice between working here or somewhere else go to the other place this is an awful company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring more about your employees.

Worked for Jim Koons Automotive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jim Koons Automotive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jim Koons Automotive CEO James E. Koons. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Jim Koons Automotive employees.