Jimmy John's Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.5

Jimmy John's Chairman and CEO Jimmy Liautaud
Jimmy Liautaud

Pros
  • Hours are fairly flexible, the job itself can be fast paced at times (in 47 reviews)

• Friendly work environment, Encouraged to do our best and have fun (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Somewhat stingy with pay -- start at minimum wage and promotions / pay raises are rare (in 33 reviews)

• long hours 50-60hrs/wk, health benefits costly and hard to come by (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun atmosphere, good part time job

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The co workers were one of the highlights for sure, all young 19-25ish and that made it a fun environment. The only shifts I ever got were 4 hours long, so it was nice to go in, help with lunch, and get out.

Cons

I only ever got 4 hour shifts, it was definitely not a schedule I could live off of (luckily I didn't need to). There were always tedious tasks to do--important to keep the store clean and sanitary, but tedious nonetheless.

Respect your employees' time--if they ask for time off (well in advance) please honor that.

Easy job, okay pay.

Former Employee - Person In Charge/In-Shop Sandwich Maker  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Person In Charge/In-Shop Sandwich Maker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The job is foolproof: memorize the sandwiches, be fast at making them, and don't show up late to your shifts. Do all that and you will find your self moving up to shift manager in a blink of an eye.

Cons

Eating a sandwich every single shift can get really tiring, really fast, and in-store employees are not allowed to accept tips from customers, only delivery drivers.

Having promotions for the employees to encourage sales increases and rewarding highest earning shift teams would boost the overall moral of the store.

Great job if you just need some money

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time

Pros

All of the employees seem to be friendly and helpful when need be. The environment is great and going to work never felt like a chore. Getting the job was not difficult and they are pretty flexible with schedules.

Cons

I only worked in-shop, and there were no cons in that regard. Delivery may be another story, but I don't have any input on that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Jimmy John's for more than a year

Pros

It's good job if you're in college or high school and looking for a job that goes by fast as delivery driver. People and managements are generally delightful.

Cons

It has it's pitfalls. The mileage on your car. ~$5 an hour wage if your a driver. Your tips pay for gas.

Easy going job

Current Employee - Jimmy Johns Delivery Driver/In-Shop  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Jimmy Johns Delivery Driver/In-Shop in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Chill work environment, flexible scheduling, quality food, pay is great if you are a driver

Cons

Finding a cover is easy if you are an inshop worker, but for drivers it is far more difficult. Pay sucks if you work inshop, and managment is a hit or miss. You either have a great manager or a sucky one

When promoting people to Assistant Manager or even Manager I think they need to evaluate everyone instead of promoting anyone because they are desperate.

A good college job.

Current Employee - Jimmy John's Deliver Driver  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Jimmy John's Deliver Driver in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

tips can be good if you get big orders, often a fun fast paced social environment,

Cons

You have to learn the whole menu, you don't get reimbursed for gas, working during sporting events can be a hassle.

My advice to corporate management would be to calm down on the pointless dress code details that are irrelevant to health code concerns. The company inspections would always have some new detail that had never been a problem before that isn't defined on the paperwork. It was just a series of hoops to make the employees jump through.

Your Experience Will Depend on Store/Managment

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at Jimmy John's full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are a Sandwich Maker or a Driver this can be a very good job if you are only looking for part time or something to juggle with a second job, or a temporary gig while in school.

Everything is pretty straightforward and company policies are clearly written out so there is no ambiguity (in theory, this is at the discretion of your manager to actually inform you of these policies).

Generally, the Jimmy Johns way is a super upbeat and can-do environment, and when done right it can create for a really interesting work place with some really awesome assortments of co-workers and people. People on the corporate level seemed to be very happy with their jobs and are a Jimmy John's encyclopedia.

Their menu is super simple and easy to learn (and if you want to be a shoe-in for the job, learn the menu before your interview...they give you a sandwich test after about a week of employment). Also compliance doesn't allow stores to do substitutions and other things that can make taking orders and preparing things complicated, so this also makes the job a lot more easier to take in the basics.

Cons

Ultimately, your experience will depend on management and how your franchise is run. I was quickly promoted from a Sandwich Maker to a Person In Charge to Assistant Manager within a matter of months. Part of this is because I busted my butt, but there was also an EXTREMELY high turnover rate because of so many people who were dissatisfied with our General Manager who was supremely unprofessional. There was definitely a lot of favoritism involved, and they were also very unabashed about hiring people based on attractiveness or having similar taste in music/movies as the GM. I would then get lackluster employees foisted on my shifts that I had no say in hiring, nor could really fire, yet sometimes the GM would fire employees simply because she didn't like them without following proper channels like write-ups or documentation of compliance violations. There were often lots of double standards within my workplace. I was successful because I generally stayed out of the way of the GM during my shifts as an InShopper. Like I said, your GM makes a HUGE difference in your experience with JJ's.

Upon being sent to a three week corporate training program, I learned the ins an outs of Jimmy John's (a good thing...but it made me see what poor shape our franchise was in). If you do get promoted to management, expect to basically give up any sort of semblance of a life you have. At least at my store, I had a very intense schedule with 6 am mornings or not getting home til 1 am without any sort of flexibility and oftentimes I would get calls on my days off to come in. God forbid you need a day off or want to take a vacation. Maybe it is different with other stores and franchises, but this was my experience.

The other awful thing about having bad management or a neglectful franchise owner is monthly corporate visits in which the company holds you to extremely high standardsand oftentimes that will mean you are held accountable for upper management negligence that is out of your control. Upon trying to file grievances with corporate over the negligence of our franchise owner and general manager they basically threw their hands up and said "not my problem" but then myself and the other assistant manager still got a lot of blame foisted on us for our store's low scores on corporate evaluations.

I also don't think my compensation was equitable to the amount of work required of me. I was salaried and rounded to about 11/hr as an assistant manager and got paid for 40 hour weeks, when in reality I was probably working 60 hours a week. If you are a driver you will basically be paid peanuts with a DMR that is a joke.

The moral of the story is, your experience with Jimmy John's will ultimately depend on how and who runs your store. And do not try and seek a management position unless you want to make this job your life. I don't think I got paid enough for all of the work I did. I really enjoyed my experience at 3 week corporate training in a Jimmy John's store that was run correctly. And I was overall happy as a Sandwich Maker when I thought this was just going to be a temporary gig until my promotion basically came and I accepted out of desperation for more income.

My satisfaction plummeted when I became an assistant manager. I would advise management to follow company procedures to the letter, and for corporate to be more responsive to concerns raised by employees and lower management when franchise owners and general managers are not compliant with store policies which leaves lower management and base employees holding the bag and pretty much all the blame. Also more flexibility with management scheduling and an ability to have a life outside of work would also lessen the turnover rate that I notice a lot of Jimmy Johns stores seem to have.

I also wish there was far more professionalism and more fair compensation encouraged within this company.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - In-shop  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - In-shop in Memphis, TN

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible hours. Culture is fun if that's what you're looking for. Good temporary place of employment. The food is great.

Cons

Little opportunity to promote. Management does not take position as seriously as they probably should. Employees had been there for years and still worked same position.

Promotes (Total Confusion and Runaround) From Within

Current Employee - In-shop  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - In-shop in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers schedule around school w/o hitch
    Great crew
    More cash pulling OT
    Supports Folds of Honor
    Sporadic nightside D/T tips

Cons

No transparency; bosses to know, you to figure out
    REALLY circumscribe training
    Mgrs/crew paid pittance
    Must apple-polish for "rockstar" status

Mgmt desperately needs to chide laziness in (mostly younger) employees, who get away with POINT BLANK MURDER...as opposed to those of us who give as much of our all as we can squeeze out and STILL get vastly overlooked. Too much complacency and lack of--and pardon the company parlance here--integrity.

JJ's management

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - General Manager in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Jimmy John's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay
    Great environment
    Lots of perks
    health insurance

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company.

Worked for Jimmy John's? Contribute to the Community!