Jimmy John's Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.5

Jimmy John's Chairman and CEO Jimmy Liautaud
Jimmy Liautaud

Pros
  • tips can be good if you get big orders, often a fun fast paced social environment, (in 51 reviews)

• Friendly work environment, Encouraged to do our best and have fun (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • hour home after close so that the drivers could clean the store for less than minimum wage (in 39 reviews)

• long hours 50-60hrs/wk, health benefits costly and hard to come by (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

in-shop worker

Former Employee - In-shop in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - In-shop in Troy, MI

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is the easiest job you will have! Working there is very fun and not stressful.

Cons

None that I can think of!

less strict dress code

Move them up or move them out!

Current Employee - General Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Jimmy John's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Jimmy john's is a fun company to work for. The environment is awesome and upbeat, the culture is contagious and the food is delicious. There is room to move up really quickly as they are always looking to find the next best employees. The money is also good when involved in the bonus structure.

Cons

The rigors of upper management are ridiculous. The expectations are high and if you don't meet them you can face losing your job over something as small as .05 of a percent. If you find you are not going to move up then you should get out because it get's tedious.

Be prepared to give it your all and stay focused, diligent, and organized.

Fun food Job

Former Employee - Jimmy Johns- InShop in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Jimmy Johns- InShop in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very energetic and fun environment, very flexible with your schedule. Allows you to learn basic customer service skills. You can build great friendships with co-workers. Would be a very good side job or a job for a student.

Cons

No raises, bonuses or any other incentives. No room to upgrade or get promoted except a manager position. Doesn't even give a free meal to employees unless you work a minimum of 8 hours. Only a one dollar discount for employees. Will not really help you develop your professional skills and work towards your career goals.

Awesome college job

I have been working at Jimmy John's

Pros

Great people, fun and healthy job to bike deliver. Easy to learn the ropes because of the restaurant's simplicity. Reasonable base salary too.

Cons

Dealing with the usual corporate stuff can be a little annoying but not too much of an issue, unless you have tattoos all over, a lot of piercings, etc. Gotta be really fast if you're making sandwiches.

Fun job for a recent high school grad or college freshmen.

Current Employee - Jimmy Johns Delivery Driver/In-Shop in Bay City, MI
    Current Employee - Jimmy Johns Delivery Driver/In-Shop in Bay City, MI

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time

Pros

Good first job.
    Fun work environment.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.
    very little compensation for delivery drivers vehicle maintenance.

A love hate relationship

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Boulder, CO

I worked at Jimmy John's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bicycle delivery. If you want to get paid to ride your bike (fast) this is the only way most of us will have that opportunity. If you're able to ride fast 40 hours a week you can make a pretty decent wage ($6/hour + tips). Management is flexible to let you pick the shifts you want as long as you're a good employee (show up on time, in uniform, etc.)

Cons

Bicycle delivery. It rains. It gets windy. It gets cold. Very cold.

Delivery and In shop are great, but the terrible pay and conditions for managers (and the associated high turnover rate) is harmful to your business.

Fun place to work. Managers are a hit or miss.

Former Employee - Jimmy Johns Delivery Driver/In-Shop in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Jimmy Johns Delivery Driver/In-Shop in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun business where you get to interact with customers. Laid back employees. Its challenging because they really do emphasize speed so you are constantly trying to get faster at making sandwiches. It feels awesome to hand someone their sandwich before they are even finished paying for it.

Cons

The managers are kind of a hit or miss. Some are good and some just have no clue what they are doing. I had one who was a complete jerk at first and then later she eased up and liked me after getting to know me. You really have to know your sandwiches. I crammed and memorized the sandwiches when I had to come in and take the menu test (a test where you have to write out every sandwich and its ingredients). I passed it but in all reality didn't really know them all that well. My first day my manager (the one I described as a jerk at first) almost fired me and called me stupid because I did not know the menu that well. So take the menu test seriously.

Be more willing to help new employees learn the menu instead of just throwing them in the line and expecting them to know everything on the first day, at lunch rush.

Delivery Driver

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great people, fun and casual environment, and customers were usually decent tippers

Cons

long hours, cleaning a lot, sometimes sexist/insensitive comments were made, last-minute switches in shifts

should be more organized

It was a good college job.

Current Employee - Jimmy John's Deliver Driver and Shift Manager in Salina, KS
    Current Employee - Jimmy John's Deliver Driver and Shift Manager in Salina, KS

I have been working at Jimmy John's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay. Good work atmosphere, a lot of fun. Very clean. Simple tasks for after rush restock/cleaning. Overall, this was a good job to have during college.

Cons

Horrible discounts for employees, we only get 50% if we work 3 hours or more and that's it

It is a great job for entry level prospectives

Current Employee - Pic in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Pic in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is probably one of the easiest jobs (skill-wise) that you will be able to find, because all it really asks of you is just make sandwiches and clean the restaurant all day. They have a pretty lenient employment process. Drunk chicks love Jimmy Johns. It's products are very health conscious, so it's a great place to eat after work.

Cons

The pay is pretty close to minimum wage, so If you are looking for a job to support your endeavors towards an apartment, a car, food, and/or any extracurricular activities, this may not be the job for you; depending on the location, a JJ's sandwich might cost you 1 hr of work ... just to put things in perspective.

Jimmy John's Photos