Jimmy John's Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.4

Jimmy John's Chairman and CEO Jimmy Liautaud
Jimmy Liautaud

Pros
  • Hours are fairly flexible, the job itself can be fast paced at times (in 47 reviews)

• Friendly work environment, Encouraged to do our best and have fun (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Somewhat stingy with pay -- start at minimum wage and promotions / pay raises are rare (in 33 reviews)

• long hours 50-60hrs/wk, health benefits costly and hard to come by (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Flexible

Current Employee - Delivery Driver  in  Saint Peters, MO
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job has flexible day and night hours, perfect for high school and college students. Employees can quickly advance to PIC (person in charge) and gain valuable management experience. You can make decent tips as a delivery driver and the delivery zone is small so you do not waste as much gas as pizza delivery drivers. If you advance to a certified manager you can make salary and receive bonuses.

Cons

Pay is not great, unless you are a delivery driver.
    Corporate visits a lot and there are many strict franchise rules, especially dress code.

Consistency: Franchise is all about consistency. Follow Jimmy Johns specific paperwork and you'll do fine.

Great Opportunity and Wonderful People

Former Employee - Jimmy John's Deliver Driver  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Jimmy John's Deliver Driver in Omaha, NE

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free sandwich if you work a 6 hour shift, otherwise 1/2 priced. Delivery Drivers make great tips if you have the right store. Work at one that is located within a 5 mile radius of a business district during the day. Evenings when businesses are closed, you depend on residential deliveries, suburbs and apartment complexes. Great opportunity to exercise instead of sitting at a desk all day! Management styles differ from store to store, but top performers get the hours and the perks! The more hours you work, the more tips you make. (Pay + 6% of sales + tips) 4 Drivers!~

Cons

(No Benefits / No Full time employees) Unless your Management! When I left, they were cutting hours back to less than 26 hours a week. Great if you want a part time job... but if you're looking for more, keep looking! Different than working in Fast Food environment... You have to take a test over the 17 different sandwiches they offer before you get hired even if you're only a driver. When you are not out doing deliveries, you're in shop making sandwiches or doing dishes...

Grow your menu, add more selections. Chicken Salad would be nice...
    Managers should be trained to use same management style across the board. When one store works well, don't move the employees around and change it all up. If something works, don't fix it...

Owners and managers make the experience

Current Employee - Delivery Driver  in  Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Florence, SC

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time for less than a year

Pros

-paid min wage as a driver (most drivers for other delivery places in my area are paid less than min wage) on top of keeping tips.
    -cash tips not taxed.
    -always very busy, no standing around time.
    -employs good people usually.
    -the owner where I am is amazing. Always in there, he makes sandwiches, answers phones, assembles boxes, he's so nice and cares so much about his business.
    -shifts are short enough that I don't have to be away from my kids too long, but long enough that I walk away with some good pocket change.
    -end up making around $15/hr when tips are included.

Cons

-CEO makes sure everyone is part time so no benefits
    -turn over like no ones business, which is expected with fast food, but still sucks.
    -driving takes a toll on your car.

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company, but people were enjoyable.

I worked at Jimmy John's

Pros

I always worked with fantastic people and my staff and I were able to get along well.

Cons

Corporate policies are ridiculous, and there have been some morally ambiguous ethical practices along the way.

Cons outweigh the Pros, but if you're desperate...

Current Employee - Training Manager  in  Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Training Manager in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Jimmy John's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay. Awesome atmosphere. Free Food.

Cons

No sick days and mandatory vacation days. No extra time off for weddings or funerals. You will have to work closing shifts for 4/10 days every 2 weeks. Sometimes 4 a.m. You have to wake up at 4 a.m. sometimes too.

Revamp of schedule and flexible vacations.

Manageable Part Time Job while in School

Current Employee - Jimmy Johns Delivery Driver/In-Shop  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Jimmy Johns Delivery Driver/In-Shop in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible time schedule. Easy to manage while attending high school or college.

Cons

Pay is a bit low. Gas is expensive for drivers, and will wear your car out.

Negotiate pay depending on work responsibilities and effort.

Fun atmosphere, good part time job

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The co workers were one of the highlights for sure, all young 19-25ish and that made it a fun environment. The only shifts I ever got were 4 hours long, so it was nice to go in, help with lunch, and get out.

Cons

I only ever got 4 hour shifts, it was definitely not a schedule I could live off of (luckily I didn't need to). There were always tedious tasks to do--important to keep the store clean and sanitary, but tedious nonetheless.

Respect your employees' time--if they ask for time off (well in advance) please honor that.

Easy job, okay pay.

Former Employee - Person In Charge/In-Shop Sandwich Maker  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Person In Charge/In-Shop Sandwich Maker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The job is foolproof: memorize the sandwiches, be fast at making them, and don't show up late to your shifts. Do all that and you will find your self moving up to shift manager in a blink of an eye.

Cons

Eating a sandwich every single shift can get really tiring, really fast, and in-store employees are not allowed to accept tips from customers, only delivery drivers.

Having promotions for the employees to encourage sales increases and rewarding highest earning shift teams would boost the overall moral of the store.

I worked at Jimmy John's for more than a year

Pros

It's good job if you're in college or high school and looking for a job that goes by fast as delivery driver. People and managements are generally delightful.

Cons

It has it's pitfalls. The mileage on your car. ~$5 an hour wage if your a driver. Your tips pay for gas.

Hires just about anyone.

Former Employee - In Shop  in  Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - In Shop in Roswell, GA

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great food, great customers, flexible schedule, great owner

Cons

management was unprofessional
    Set me up to fire me
    Never followed protocol

add diversity to your team.

Worked for Jimmy John's? Contribute to the Community!