Jive Communications Reviews

Updated April 11, 2015
33 reviews filtered by
4.4
John Pope

1. Great place to work...

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Orem, UT

I worked at Jive Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Jive is an awesome place to work. Smart, and talented people throughout the entire organization. A lot of opportunity to learn, grow and work in a challenging environment. Would recommend working here to anyone.

Cons

To much access to free soda.

Advice to Management

Work less and drink more beer.

Mostly good

I worked at Jive Communications

Pros

Good company that has lots of potential.

Cons

I fear that the company has outgrown the skills of its executives. The company could benefit by bringing in people with previous experience with startups.

Awesome place to start

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Jive Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The co workers make for a really great team environment. When I need help figuring out a particularly difficult problem, there is always someone who knows what to do and everyone is so willing to help everyone else. Their benefits are decent, snacks are fantastic, and overall a friendly wholesome environment

Cons

Sometimes helping customers just sucks, not because its hard, but because people can just be rude. Otherwise its great and I really enjoy it.

Advice to Management

Don't forget what its like to be in our shoes as you progress. remember, most everyone starts at the bottom. Keep being awesome!

5. Incredible Experience!

Current Employee - Tech Solutions Engineer in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Tech Solutions Engineer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Jive Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incredible opportunities to move up. They really want the best for their employees, and they have provided for me any amazing career! Great people to work with. Great environment. Incredible benefits.

Cons

The work isn't easy.... but it is worth it.

6. Great company culture, rockstar developers working on hard problems

I have been working at Jive Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Jive's company culture is great overall, with lots of company-wide events, many of which can involve the whole family. Positive environment, everyone is motivated to move the company forward, and there doesn't seem to be anyone who would count as dead weight.

In the development area (where I work), it seems like we really have a lot of talent. It's an agile/scrum shop, but with flexibility on a team-by-team basis. I moved from waterfall development at a big company and I can't even begin to describe how much better things are. Projects are measured in weeks, not years. There is a flat management structure (we all report to the CTO, though there are a few other positions to provide some structure) with virtually no bureaucracy (compare this to my last job where I had to go five levels above me to get to a "director" position, and there were several positions above that). In my last job, I had been stagnating for years, but here I feel like I am learning and improving my skills regularly. We try to hold "lunch and learn" events twice a week where someone either talks about some technical skill or another aspect of the company, so professional development is really a part of the culture. In my last job, I could feel my skill aging and decaying, here I feel like I'd have to intentionally sabotage my professional development if I (for some reason) wanted to stop improving. Jive still has a startup culture, so you get to develop breadth of skills as well as depth, which I love.

This isn't the place to be if you want to just warm a desk until retirement (that was my last job). I know some people who do software development don't really enjoy it, and those people probably wouldn't fit in well at Jive. For those who love technology and want to push themselves, it's a fantastic place.

Cons

Jive is growing so fast, sometimes we have trouble keeping up. Management doesn't make changes until well after they should, developers end up pushing ourselves to hold everything together while we pile on new customers, and it can just generally be quite the wild ride. It's a good problem to have, but sometimes the growth runs away from us.

Like I said above, if you don't want to learn and challenge yourself, don't come here to be a developer. It just doesn't work with this kind of company. Along those lines, Jive is willing to let people go who may be good developers but just don't fit with what we are trying to do, or who can't handle responsibility. It was a little unnerving at first (coming from a job where gross incompetence was the only way to get fired), but in the end I appreciate that we have a team that I enjoy working with and who are all competent in their areas.

I don't know about the other areas of the company, but development requests a lot of hours from people. Rule of thumb is 50+ a week. If you enjoy what you are doing, it's really not a problem (and lots of jobs require those hours without being so explicit about it). If you can't wait to leave work, you'll hate it. Even for those of us who love what we do, it can be exhausting.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to hire "ahead of the curve". Jive seems to trust it's employees overall, and that's a huge plus -- try to keep that with all the growth. The C-levels have all done an AMAZING job of jumping in when there are problems (knowing our CTO will do tech support to make up for when we've dropped the ball really shows the character of management). I still think we could pay people in support roles more, even though that's been getting a lot better lately.

7. A great company with the start-up feel and an astounding track record

Current Employee - Software Developer in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Jive Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really like the people. We work hard and play hard. Stock options are great, especially considering the growth rate of the company, and every employee has the opportunity to get them. Our medical benefits just improved. 100% employer funded with a $3000 deductible as well as dental and vision options. Great executive team! More specifically, since I'm a developer, the CTO Theo really knows how to build a quality team/culture/environment. Free sodas! Unlimited vacation days. Our performance as developers is graded strictly on awesomeness...a bit vague, I know, but it is great. I know I will be graded based on my ability to perform and contribute to the success of my team mates, rather than by some silly metric that can be manipulated. Full-stack experience gained. This is probably the best environment for non-stop learning as a software developer. Since every developer is held at the same level of respect and responsibility (both of those only second to level of experience), each person has a say in how projects are completed. Each person has a voice.

Cons

Developers are required to work a minimum of 50 hours a week. To be honest, most developers there would probably be working more than 50 hours a week anyway. I just prefer being able to impress my boss when I work 50 hours...not just break even. Because it is a new company, some things can still be rough. Definitely requires flexibility on the part of each person.

Advice to Management

I feel like much of my energy is spent being concerned with the exact amount of hours I get in because of the 50-hour minimum. It would be nice to be able to not have to worry about that aspect of work. It would be nice to be able to completely focus on getting my tasks done rather than always be concerned about how I am going to bend my schedule to get my exact hours in.

8. Got QA? I'll SHOW YOU REAL QA :)

Current Employee - Software Developer In Test in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer In Test in Orem, UT

I have been working at Jive Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At the core, a traditional QA Engineer is a paid critic. So naturally, I'm expecting you to take this review with a grain of salt while seriously hoping you don't just cast it aside as "another positive review" that you'll skip in your search for the nitty gritty. Doing so will deprive you from working in the best QA team and environment I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of.

My manager, or QA lead since IT is a flat organization, has a unique understanding of QA and management style. Truthfully, he's more like an Agile product owner but let's drop the cliches and buzzwords. He helps, enables and removes road blocks from me and the team. I've never seen or experienced any micro-management, double/triple/quadruple-checking or in essence felt "ruled/managed" over by him. He ascribes to and follows the latest QA industry trends such as following the way Google tests software, and has implemented several of these concepts. In fact, we don't ASSURE quality at all or tack it on at the end. We are Quality Assistance. We exist as a resource to all teams as we ALL work together to achieve quality.

My team currently has several extremely intelligent QA developers. NO...we don't just know how to code and NO we don't just press buttons and look at UI"s all day long...running through several manual tests cases. We develop tools and frameworks to assist everyone, especially developers, in testing and building quality software. In fact, developers constantly seek us out for our ideas on their projects and have us look at and enhance their code samples. In other words, we aren't your run of the mill QA department. Not...even...close.

Everyone says they are working on something interesting and everyone says it's game changing. Come here and we'll SHOW you game changing! Come check out our phone automation that NO ONE IN OUR INDUSTRY IS DOING ANYTHING CLOSE TO. Seriously, forget the bullet lists you typically look for and use to make a decision. Get in here and see it for yourself.

Cons

Every company has it's flaws. I'm still looking for them here, but I'm sure they do exist. The best part about I've noticed about Jive is that they recognize they aren't perfect but they are willing to constantly change and improve to get to where they need to be.

Advice to Management

KEEP THE CULTURE! If things continue going the way they have, I don't know if there will ever be a better place a QA Engineer could work at.

9. Doing work here matters

I have been working at Jive Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You will push code to production- Regularly. You will be responsible for maintaining it, and people definitely use it.
    $2 lunches, Macbook pro is provided. High task autonomy -- Given directions of what to do, but the implementation is left up to you. Fun people. Culture and company are invested in helping you continually learning more. Semi-weekly educational presentations (called Lunch 'n Learn). Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

they expect 50hrs/week. Many people often work even more, but 50 is expected. The organization for the dev team is flat. So there is only one manager to talk about administrative things with. Some people may find that not having a direct manager is nice. But it can also make things difficult if you have questions that only your very busy manager can help you with.

Jive Communications Response

Feb 23, 2015Corporate Recruiter

We are so glad you enjoy being a part of our Jive family; we know we expect a lot from our developers, but it's only because we really believe you are the best! You are absolutely right, the work you ... More

10. Great people. Interesting problems to solve.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Draper, UT

I have been working at Jive Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work with smart people, the developers here tend to be a cut above.

Solve fun problems. The problems being solved here are cutting edge and haven't been done before, at least not done well.

The environment is fast paced and exciting. If you like that atmosphere you'll love it here.

Continuous Integration.

Devs are encouraged to innovate and try new things without the hassle of getting approval from 18 layers of management.

Great communication between the execs and the rest of the company.

The CTO has character, a great sense of humor, and truly cares about the product and the devs building it. He's a great guy to work for.

Free soda

Free snacks

Subsidized lunches

Cons

none, zip, zilch, nada, zero, nothing, {}, [], null, nil, allocation error...

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing, it's working.

Jive Communications Response

Feb 23, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Here's our advice to you: keep doing what you're doing; obviously it's working! We are so glad you enjoy coming to work at Jive and we are so glad you are a part of our Jive family!

11. Jive has potential

I have been working at Jive Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Potential - This is Jive’s most appealing aspect. Jive is experiencing astronomical growth. There is a strong need for good, hardworking, talented developers, scrum masters and product owners right now simply because there is so much work to be done! Although there’s lock down on what computer, IDE, environment and such you need to use, there’s a lot of room for creativity. The dev department is a flat organization where every decision essentially only bubbles up to the CTO instead of 5-6 layers of middle management. Jive has completely embraced core Agile principals and is really picking up even more speed because of it.

Learning Opportunities - They are endless. We have "lunch and learns” scheduled out 2-3 times a week, some weeks even daily. We cover internal and industry technologies and trends in a practical way.

Lean start up mentality - Most come here because they truly love the work, are offered stock and have a strong commitment to making this the best company it can be. Those falling outside this mindset tend to move on.

Benefits - Free health care, dental and vision! It’s an HSA but you don’t have to cover the premiums. Stock options and catered lunch! Catered dinner is even provided on Thursdays if you work until 10pm that day.

Openness to feedback - Don’t skip strait to the flaws section. We have flaws…who doesn’t? I hope each issue ends up getting worked out over time. I absolutely love our scrum master, he’s awesome! If he keeps doing what he’s doing I’m certain our feedback will make it back to upper management and things will continue to improve.

Cons

Work environment - Noisy/distracting. Can be hard to focus on a task at hand. Stressful when consistently landed with tight deadlines requiring long work hours to meet.

Several recent layoffs - Not fitting in is the general consensus or reference to a hiring blitz. Seems those reasons could have applied to some. What’s interesting though is the featured career video. Most of the people shown in the current one, found on the careers home page, were laid off or left.

Perception Management - Perception is very important here and takes a higher priority in some cases over the work.

"Work/Life Balance" - You'll love the work and will live at the office. In fact, if your single or barely attached you need to come here! If you’re hoping to strike a balance between hard work and family life or just a general life outside of work, you may want to look elsewhere. Working from home is discouraged but allowable on rare occasion. The dev department is required to work a minimum of 50 hours a week and normally works more. Each day, you’re required to write down the hours you worked on a whiteboard the everyone sees which is tracked and monitored by management. These changes weren’t in place about a year and a half ago but resulted from decisions made by new management and has resulted in a consistent net effect of diminishing returns. PTO does exist but isn’t officially tracked by HR. In theory this is awesome but in practice it’s encouraged a perception that you’re slacking off if you use it.

Advice to Management

Moving further away from the effect of diminishing returns will greatly enhance Jive’s success.

Jive Communications Photos