Jive Software

Updated September 19, 2014
4.6

Jive Software CEO Tony Zingale
Tony Zingale

Pros
  • Great people, great leadership team and great product (in 7 reviews)

• I honestly enjoy coming to work every day (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Both business and the company is growing too fast (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of travels and work which sometimes has an impact on work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Jive is a special place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, very collaborative, caring leaders/people, passion for the product and the mission. Fantastic teamwork environment.

Cons

pace of work, bigger company competition

keep listening

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Professional Services Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Professional Services Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part about Jive is the people I work with - they are smart and fun, the type of people that make work enjoyable. The company as a whole does a better than average job at seeming to care about employees and being transparent about internal processes. The compensation and benefits are good, too.

Cons

If you have any problem with alcohol, this company is not for you. It is an integral part of the company culture, and in some offices/departments it's taken to almost an excessive level.

Get Down and Jive

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Managers are responsive, communicative, understanding, and provide constructive feedback; it helps that they all have a great sense of humor as well
    - People, so far, are passionate about what they do here at Jive, out-going, friendly, and are all ready to offer you a helping hand or ask you to join them for lunch
    - Full stocked kitchen = Two-thumbs up
    - Everything is pretty organized, and if anything does happen to come up (which it will), it is immediately directly to the right person and quickly resolved
    - Like everyone said, Jive has a work hard/play hard mentality
    - The company and software itself has a lot of potential, and will be of success if it continues to grow and invest in their employees (which they do)
    - Continuing training and as needed training = Two-thumbs up
    - Great medical, dental, vision and transportation benefits!

Cons

So far, I haven't experienced any Cons

Keep doing what you're doing!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wow - what an experience!

Current Employee - Global Director, Talent Acquisition  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Global Director, Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

• The people are smart, interesting, helpful, dive deep in their respective areas, have a sense of humor.
    • The culture reflects our Jive product offerings enabling collaboration, communication and connection; high-energy and passion around what we do; agile and yet focused on a collective mission.
    • We encounter interesting and tough challenges daily which makes the work intellectually interesting and calls to each and every person to think bigger and step into new areas allowing for professional growth and development.
    • At Jive, we have the opportunity to “own” our work: we run lean which provides a great platform for each person to take part in the overall success of the company; we stretch and grow and we challenge ourselves to do better; we know that what we are doing will make a difference.
    • The work we do provides each individual with the ability to impact globally both in terms of Jive’s success and, more importantly, the success of our global customers and partners.
    • This is a fast-paced work environment that is ever-changing. What a ride…fasten your seat belts, you are going to have fun but you better be ready to flex with changes and step up into new areas of learning.
    • No day is the same as any other: we work in an environment of change as we are in the midst of an inflection point in our own evolution. What a great opportunity to be part of the journey from great to greater.
    • We eat what we cook: we use our own products every day and so we have a direct view into the capabilities of Jive’s products. For me, it is a new "workstyle" that enables me to be more productive and to enjoy the benefits of transparency I often missed with other companies.

Cons

Availability of snacks: dang…..am on another kind of “journey” as I can’t stay away from the Almond Joys.

Continue being focused; continue to make those tough decisions; continue to care about your people, take this company to the next level - we WANT it!

Start-up atmosphere - Fun work environment

Former Employee - Software Support Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Support Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Jive Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work with a lot of activities for employees (game room, ping pong, etc). They took good care of their employees in terms of benefits and pay. A lot of smart individuals at the company.

Cons

Advancement required seniority in terms of experience at the company at times, instead of based on the quality of work.

Happy camper here at Jive

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Working for a company that stands as a social communication platform creates an amazing environment to work for!
    There is a big portion of the company that is younger, and absolutely everyone is welcoming and eager to help on anything.
    There is great compensation, easy to get time off, and the office is fully stocked with snacks and beer.
    It isn't a clock-on, clock-off job with your boss riding your tail and you're competing directly with your colleagues... Almost everyone as a different position and role, so you always have your own tasks and project assignments.
    Love the environment and the people even more.
    The work-life balance is something Jive definitely promotes, and there is always room for growth.
    Great management style and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

There is very little I could say about Jive in a negative light. It is a newer company with rapid expansion, so there will always be a couple bumps, but they are solidifying the internal structure and I have no complaints.

Great Place to Work as an Intern

Current Employee - Social Media Intern  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Social Media Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I am very lucky to have landed an internship at Jive for many reasons, but there's one reason in particular that outshines the rest: I feel important. It's easy for employers to throw their interns into the same old getting-coffee-and-filing-documents rut, but that simply has never happened to me here. Each of my projects is assigned to me with a purpose, and I can see tangible results upon my completion of these projects.

The other interns are fantastic. There are about eight of us in the Palo Alto office, and it's awesome hanging out with a group of people your age during lunch breaks or after work. Although the interns came into the office sporadically due to varying school schedules, we've all bonded quite well. Based solely on the impressive skill set and brightness each intern possesses, it's Jive's university program is a clear success.

There are also a few logistical reasons why I love Jive.
    - The absurdly close proximity to downtown Palo Alto is to die for. My only complaint is that it makes choosing where to go for lunch far too difficult.
    - My 9-5 hours are perfect: I have time to run before work, and I still feel like I have a day ahead of me when I leave.
    - I get paid well for an intern.
    - Working in the tech world is an incredible experience as-is, but doing so in the eye of the technology storm is really something else.
    - Company culture is fantastic: there's a sense of laid-back intensity that keeps employees on their toes yet simultaneously excited about coming to work every day. Plus the beer that's on tap on every floor seems to keep the 21+ crowd happy.

Cons

My only real criticism about interning here is in regard to the feeling of disconnect between departments. Although Jive prides itself as a social software company, I barely know anyone who works just across the floor from me. I realize that there's a large number of employees working in the Palo Alto office, but I feel like I could have really benefitted from knowing people in other departments as an intern. Learning about how others work is part of the experience and I feel like there is room for improvement. Also, it was easy to feel disconnected with the other interns since they came into the office at different times over the course of the summer. Perhaps they can be grouped together in shifts?

- More exposure to other departments
    - Organized intern bonding activities after each new one comes in

Thank you Jive for giving me such a fantastic summer intern experience!

Smart and good product and people

I worked at Jive Software

Pros

Company is invested in and engaged with employee wellness etc.. Claims that it is a 'startup' and is a 'family' were wishful thinking. It is a large company its product actually reduces the need for face to face, which is brilliant for connecting multiple offices and satellite employees etc.

Cons

Office culture in Palo Alto (corporate hq) was corporate and dry. SOMA office was laid back and pretty isolated from the entire Jive ecosystem. It housed overflow of small group from various new acquisition teams, junior sales and newish talent and designers who were enticed to work at Jive due to the city location. These new employees in the city didn't really interact with the PA office in a meaningful way, so there was a blank slate of 'company culture' when I left. I hope they were able to create a 'family'.

A few people absolutely love it here, but most of us don't

I have been working at Jive Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is among the best around and a few people seem to genuinely enjoy working here, for reasons I haven't quite figured out. If you are good at self-promotion and vacuous corporate rah-rah, you will be loved - loudly and publicly. This company is still a leader in some facets of technology implementation for mobile - if you are resume-building, that is the best part of this company.

Cons

If you want to focus less on self-promotion and more on work that will help the company succeed, you will likely fall into the cracks and be frowned upon or even terminated. The best days of this company and the Social Software Market are past - if you aren't cashing out from the IPO, you've missed the boat. The product is being re-written from the ground and up and additional products of dubious value are being created. The new CMO is focused on better branding and fluffy lifestyle campaigns. Smells like desperation and she'll probably get the boot shortly like all the other CMOs before her. Seems to me that the clock is running out on this company and I am glad to be out the door soon.

The stock market sees through the facade you have been trying to build! Provide some actual management and goals that last more than 15 minutes instead following the flavor-of-the-week trend established by the noisiest Senior Director of Whatever on Brewspace. People are leaving because the only way to get love in the company is to relentlessly self-promote at the expense of time spent actually helping the company. The only part of the company with any discipline at all is Sales and that's just because the goals/metrics are obvious and unchanging (and usually desperately unrealistic, too!)

Jive Software Response

Aug 7, 2014Global Director, Talent Acquisition

Some good feedback for us yet, we are quite concerned about the nature of the unfortunate and negative comments made by our employee rater. With that, we would like to take this opportunity to ... More

New to Jive but already see what sets Jive apart from other work places...

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

To me the main pros are the people, the culture, the product and the growth potential. Jive offers a unique culture that is driven by hard work and dedication but also the ability to enjoy yourself and not take yourself to seriously. Jive has found a nice balance between old and news ways of working. The platform that is Jive is going to revolutionize the way people work. I am very impressed and look forward to learning more.

Cons

It is my first week so i will have to revisit this. As of now, I dont see any real "con" at least not anymore than people come to expect from work. If it was fun they would call it fun...in all reality this is a fun place to work though.

As you grow try to maintain the work-style that has made Jive so successful. Jive is very good about treating their people like adults and that is very empowering to the teams.

Worked for Jive Software? Contribute to the Community!