Jive Software Reviews

Reset
4.5
Jive Software President Elisa Steele
Elisa Steele

Pros
  • It makes it a pleasure to come to work (in 7 reviews)

• My managers and teammates are great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking in downtown Palo Alto, CA can be pretty dramatic (in 5 reviews)

• While the company is growing quickly, there just doesn't seem to be that much upward mobility (observed this, not that relevant to me though) (in 3 reviews)

1. Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time

Pros

Very smart people who want to work with a product that is changing the way companies work together. You get to work as part of a mission at Jive. If you're going to work in enterprise software, why not put your time into a product that touches people and helps them to better connect with their co-workers. Awesome work environment, very transparent culture and a new, energized, leadership team.

Cons

Jive can be a little disorganized at times and the company loves to change strategy mid-flight. This can make things a little bit of a cluster so it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stay the course with corporate strategy and keep the open, honest environment in place.

2. Great People, Great Products, Great Culture and Unequal Treatment

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of wonderful, talented, genuinely good people doing good work and putting their heart and soul into the org. The culture has undergone some changes over the years (I am a current employee going on 5 years). Lots of opportunities to grow. No penalty to change teams internally. Lots of career encouragement. Lots and lots of positive people whose actions speak louder than words.

Cons

If you are a rock star at Jive (and there are many) you will receive a disproportionate amount of work than your less talented colleagues. Slackers are often not held accountable. The combo above leads to many of Jive's best and brightest moving on.

If you have any problem with booze whatsoever, take heed. There's a chill, but notable beer culture and office happy hours are not uncommon.

Advice to Management

The new suite of products is exciting and mobile-first bottom-up is the way to go.

If you do not hold Israel accountable (and so far you have not) you will see a massive brain drain.

Overall great place with some unpleasant people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Jive Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place overall, collaborative, open environment, overall transparent management team. The culture is valued tremendously and the majority of the people who work there really believe in solving problems together (no typical blame game). Since Jive is still small there is less of a political gaming going on.

Cons

High turnover (higher than other companies) but not always because of the salary or workload. Some people in the management (middle management) are extremely unpleasant to work for, so if you interview there you will really need to vet out your management team for yourself. If you can't see yourself get along long term with someone, don't take a job. Watch out for overly "professional appearance" in the management team (that's a game face which doesn't represent the person otherwise".

Advice to Management

Listen the first time when an employee brings up an unpleasant environment issue, especially if it is related to employee/manager relationship.

5. Great culture, growing market

I have been working at Jive Software

Pros

- great company culture
    - solving a real problem
    - good management and work-life balance

Cons

- challenging times for the company
    - can seem chaotic

Advice to Management

figure out how to grasp this market quick before competitors catch up

6. Good Company

I worked at Jive Software

Pros

Great product, good leadership, very impressive staff

Cons

Unable to develop effective channel strategy that stunted the company's growth

7. Project Manager

I worked at Jive Software full-time

Pros

Great group of folks, top notch.

Cons

Can be disjointed working remotely

Director

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Jive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with....

Elisa is great but doesn't have the bench under her in product mkt and other core areas.

Cons

Product marketing is back in the 80's.

Advice to Management

Bring in the right product leaders to make decisions and focus on your customer feedback to help drive decisions

Toxic Place to work in

I worked at Jive Software

Pros

Looks like a cool company

Cons

Everything! Politics , lack of direction and communication, quick hire and Fire policy,

Advice to Management

Lose the ego! Stop drinking the koolaid

One of the best companies I've ever been with

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Jive Software

Pros

Great company culture. Jivers are driven, smart, and passionate about the company, the products, and the impact they have on the world. I worked at a company like this earlier in my career and never thought I'd find another; it is truly a rare thing. I work from home, so I have a lot of flexibility while still feeling engaged with the people and information I need to get things done thanks to the Jive platform. The benefits are very good and management is proactive and engaging without micro-managing. Communication of news, product information and general company direction is frequent and there is tremendous transparency throughout the company.

Cons

Not really a con, but there is constant change, but this is inevitable and necessary to keep the company moving forward, so not a big negative for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great transparency and communication. Keep asking why and keep listening to the answers.

Great company & people. Enjoy working here !

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Strong products & offerings. Customers love the products.
    *One of those rare companies that genuinely cares about its employees even during these tough times
    *Passionate, smart, capable and hard working colleagues.
    *Really fun colleagues who I can call friends. Strong team mentality & none of the selfish agenda that I have dealt with previously in other companies.
    *Competitive salary & benefits package.
    *Management is competent, down to earth and transparent, which I appreciate quite a bit.

Cons

*Competition from larger players like Microsoft is ruthless although Jive's product is much better.
    *Management turnover and it has gotten a bit chaotic trying to figure out the right strategy to get product sales back on track.

RSS Feed </> Embed