Jive Software

Updated November 14, 2014
4.6

Elisa Steele
1 Rating

Pros
  • Everyone is very dedicated and fun in the company so its a joy to come to work every day (in 7 reviews)

• Jive is full of great people, who are all great at what they do (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking - Downtown Palo Alto - not many places to park and permits aren't cheap (in 5 reviews)

• Both business and the company is growing too fast (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company Even if they still believe they are a startup when that ship sailed years ago

Current Employee - Associate Escalation Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Escalation Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun office culture, hard working teams,great collaboration. I was able to discuss my views with the VP of Engineering after working at the company for 2 months right out of college working in support. He listed to what I had to say and acknowledged he was wrong and corrected his stance. This openness exists throughout the company.

Cons

Jive Management still treats the company as a startup and makes some stupid decisions based on that.

Think about the titles you give new hires VS the hires you already have. It is demoralizing when someone who has never worked in your department and has just been hired gets "senior" status over the people who have worked in the department for 2-5 years

Great people, great office, great product, great company!

I have been working at Jive Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, fun culture, lots of room for internal growth,..
    The compensation is good, and the offices are beautiful and stocked with great food!

Cons

Couldn't think of 1 bad thing.

The first time in my career that I am working on something that I deeply care about

Current Employee - Senior Director of Engineering in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Engineering in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jive is a company that values the individual. As a manager I feel like more of a facilitator than a manager. This is made possible by hiring only the best talent and ensuring that the level of expectation is high. The company consistently organizes events and understands the importance of listening to everyone and this is from the CEO down.

Compensation is extremely competitive and work above and beyond expectation is always noticed.

Cons

Since the company is so fast moving sometimes we stumble into things but we always come out the other side successful.

We are defining the market so sometimes the vision that is communicated to engineers isn't always clear.

Great company, could use a little maturity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jive really does have a strong ability to nurture those who want to grow in their position or throughout the company. Great perks including: beer, snacks, lunch and learns, VTO, PTO, and health/fitness credits. Some departments allow for flex schedules and you're treated like an adult here. Jive Management is fairly transparent with regard to the company's direction.

Cons

Jive could use a little maturity when it comes to processes and procedures. Still has a great start-up-like feeling, however, that usually leaves process implementation as an afterthought, so more time is spent on the back-end, under the gun, searching for answers. Jive could use a strong vision instead of moving rapidly from shiny object to shiny object.

Spend some cycles locking in process and procedures for the good of the organization. Process development isn't sexy, but in the long run it saves on staff time and customer frustration. We keep running into the same types of issues with an all too familiar regularity.

Not just a Job

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, and great colleagues. Jive provides an atmosphere that is open and where you have great visibility. If you are someone who wants to just slide by and hide under the scenes this is not the place for you. If you want to learn, not just from those in the same role, but from everyone in the org. and truly develop yourself this is a great place to work. Also, the work at Jive is always changing, which keeps it new and interesting. Rarely do you find yourself doing the same thing/same pitch/etc. day after day.

People actually want to be here to work and hang out. I see people every day grabbing a beer, bbq on the roof for lunch and having a good time, which really keeps us all wanting to come back in the next day and not dreading work.

Since Jive is a place where people have fun but has great visibility you truly get what you put into it. This includes the hard work on your job as well as the relationships you build. Jive is an organization you are going to want to jump into and hit the ground running to be successful.

Cons

Career development is something that has always been worked on since I have been there and is in the works, however, the paths are still not the most clear. I do have to say that the efforts on this subject matter have been increased, and improvements are being made quickly, so my having this as a con will probably change in the near future.

I've finally found home

Current Employee - Talent Partner in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Talent Partner in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jive is the kind of company I always dreamed of working for as a kid. My brainiac coder younger brother and I used to sit around and dream up awesome ideas for software and websites. I had the ideas and he the ability to code it... I always wanted to be a developer myself but never had the math skills to make it happen. I was always good with people and when I graduated ended up in an IT recruiting job for a staffing company and spent many years in the staffing world trying to find an opportunity to work for a company that makes awesome software and has a great culture like Jive.

Fast forward.. My brother and I both moved to Portland in 2009 and he took a support job with Jive when we were still around 150 employees. After spending a few years hanging out with him and a bunch of awesome Jivers my singular goal became to work for this awesome company and I'm happy to announce I did it and have been here for 1.5 years now. I contracted for 6 months and then they converted me to permanent about a year ago.

Finding talent for Jive has been one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had because there is no smoke and mirrors here.. this place really is as good as it seems. It's not just because we have awesome offices and beer on tap.. its truly the individuals I get to work with and spend my time with each and every day that make me so happy. It's little things like talking to people in elevators, wishing everyone you come in contact with in the bike room a good ride and all the time we spend just geeking out about stuff.

Jive is all about people.. our technology enables people to succeed in what they do and as an employee you really feel supported and loved at this place. Having seen Jive really grow up to what it is today and becoming apart of it myself I can say very little has changed since the early start up days in the ways that really matter to me. Jive still has some of the greatest people you could ever hope to work with and that's what keeps me insanely motivated and looking forward to many more years ahead.

Cons

There's not really any cons that I think are worth mentioning. I think it depends on what you consider to be a con.. sometimes we are really vocal, direct and transparent but for me that is a good thing. Sometimes you have to work really hard to meet expectations? Again not a con just part of how it goes in a market like ours.

Internal mobility and phenomenal culture

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been a Jive employee for over 5 years now and love the fact that Jive has supported me and my desire to make internal moves. During my time at Jive I have had the opportunity to move into both management and other departments to brand new roles. These opportunities have definitely kept me engaged by presenting new learning opportunities and challenges to overcome. Jive has helped so much to grow my skills, knowledge, experience and ultimately my career. I am so thankful to have an employer who is willing to let their employees capitalize on their current skills/experience and allowing them to challenge themselves by taking on new positions within the company.

Cons

Jive is still a growing and evolving company. We don't have all the answers, processes, tools, personnel etc. If you can't be nimble or resourceful enough to move and adapt with the changes we are constantly going through. This probably isn't the place for you.

Love being a Jiver

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture at Jive is extremely open and collaborative, unlike anywhere I've worked at before. Ideas are encouraged across all departments for improving the product which has lead to the company's success. Employees can grow their careers as they desire, and career growth is strongly encouraged. We eat our own dogfood and rely on our product to get work done. The office space in Portland is great, with may perks such as snacks, beer, gym, bike room, top floor balcony.

Cons

The company has grown a lot, and is constantly adapting processes to grow the business. At times things can get chaotic across departments, but this has improved a lot recently.

Continue to encourage open collaboration across the company. Focus on employee retention as the economy heats up and more opportunities become available in Portland.

Great product and company that invests in its people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jive has some of smartest and most passionate industry veterans and next gen professionals. This is also the first company I have worked for which truly uses its own product heavily internally. I feel excited coming in to work every day and use our product to get real work done and also have some fun while at it! The leadership team recognizes the need to invest in its people and offers career growth and change opportunities. Over the years, the management team was very supportive of my move into a different group and later into management. Additionally, the company is flexible about work schedules and offers competitive benefits.

Cons

At times, Jive still operates like a start-up and things can be chaotic and could be planned better. There is a strong emphasis on delivering results, which is a good thing; but at times, people tend to form impressions too quickly without sufficient data. There are also certain areas like cloud technical operations where I feel Jive should have invested a lot more early on.

Continue investing in people, continue removing barriers to help relationships across multiple office locations

Fast-paced exciting company delivering an incredible product

Current Employee - Engineering Management
    Current Employee - Engineering Management

I have been working at Jive Software full-time

Pros

I became a software engineer in order to put great products into people's hands. Never before Jive have I been so wildly passionate about what I'm building. And everyone at this company seems to feel the same way. We use our own products daily, and our customers rave about us, hungry to buy more.

Engineers here are the brightest I've worked with. They're creative, accountable, take pride in their work, and challenge assumptions. I've learned immensely over the years.

I've had the opportunity to work with strong teams and ship numerous new offerings that have helped hold our position as leader in the market. It feels great!

Cons

Because we move so fast and have such bold ambitions, life at Jive can feel hectic at times. It takes diligence to keep your self and your team from being spread too thin.