Jive Software

Updated February 21, 2015
4.6

Jive Software President Elisa Steele
Elisa Steele

Pros
  • Everyone is very dedicated and fun in the company so its a joy to come to work every day (in 7 reviews)

• Jive is full of great people, who are all great at what they do (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking - Downtown Palo Alto - not many places to park and permits aren't cheap (in 5 reviews)

• Both business and the company is growing too fast (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company & people. Enjoy working here !

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Strong products & offerings. Customers love the products.
    *One of those rare companies that genuinely cares about its employees even during these tough times
    *Passionate, smart, capable and hard working colleagues.
    *Really fun colleagues who I can call friends. Strong team mentality & none of the selfish agenda that I have dealt with previously in other companies.
    *Competitive salary & benefits package.
    *Management is competent, down to earth and transparent, which I appreciate quite a bit.

Cons

*Competition from larger players like Microsoft is ruthless although Jive's product is much better.
    *Management turnover and it has gotten a bit chaotic trying to figure out the right strategy to get product sales back on track.

One of the best companies I've ever been with

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Jive Software

Pros

Great company culture. Jivers are driven, smart, and passionate about the company, the products, and the impact they have on the world. I worked at a company like this earlier in my career and never thought I'd find another; it is truly a rare thing. I work from home, so I have a lot of flexibility while still feeling engaged with the people and information I need to get things done thanks to the Jive platform. The benefits are very good and management is proactive and engaging without micro-managing. Communication of news, product information and general company direction is frequent and there is tremendous transparency throughout the company.

Cons

Not really a con, but there is constant change, but this is inevitable and necessary to keep the company moving forward, so not a big negative for me.

Keep up the great transparency and communication. Keep asking why and keep listening to the answers.

What happened to listening to your people?

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Jive Software

Pros

Jive is a great product.... Professional Services is better and better every year.

Culture.... Keep listening to you people.

Cons

Leadership..... Ensure those in charge take the time to meet with their teams and LISTEN.

Enfalated titles for jivers who have been there a long time verses actual skills, experience and capabilities.

Make sure there is trust amongst leaders at all levels.

A once-great company that has lost its way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ smart people
    + nice office space
    + rank and file people are likable and friendly
    + heavy beer culture, if you're into that sort of thing

Cons

- management quality varies widely
    - product is bloated and you have to wonder if its time has come and gone
    - The company used to be driven by internal collaboration, but now that's been replaced to a large extent by internal competition and squabbling, which leads to all sorts of dysfunction
    - they feel like they've lost direction somewhat and are trying to figure out how to stop floundering in the market

Great company Even if they still believe they are a startup when that ship sailed years ago

Current Employee - Associate Escalation Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Escalation Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun office culture, hard working teams,great collaboration. I was able to discuss my views with the VP of Engineering after working at the company for 2 months right out of college working in support. He listed to what I had to say and acknowledged he was wrong and corrected his stance. This openness exists throughout the company.

Cons

Jive Management still treats the company as a startup and makes some stupid decisions based on that.

Think about the titles you give new hires VS the hires you already have. It is demoralizing when someone who has never worked in your department and has just been hired gets "senior" status over the people who have worked in the department for 2-5 years

Great people, great office, great product, great company!

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Jive Software as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, fun culture, lots of room for internal growth,..
    The compensation is good, and the offices are beautiful and stocked with great food!

Cons

Couldn't think of 1 bad thing.

The first time in my career that I am working on something that I deeply care about

Current Employee - Senior Director of Engineering in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Engineering in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jive is a company that values the individual. As a manager I feel like more of a facilitator than a manager. This is made possible by hiring only the best talent and ensuring that the level of expectation is high. The company consistently organizes events and understands the importance of listening to everyone and this is from the CEO down.

Compensation is extremely competitive and work above and beyond expectation is always noticed.

Cons

Since the company is so fast moving sometimes we stumble into things but we always come out the other side successful.

We are defining the market so sometimes the vision that is communicated to engineers isn't always clear.

Great company, could use a little maturity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jive really does have a strong ability to nurture those who want to grow in their position or throughout the company. Great perks including: beer, snacks, lunch and learns, VTO, PTO, and health/fitness credits. Some departments allow for flex schedules and you're treated like an adult here. Jive Management is fairly transparent with regard to the company's direction.

Cons

Jive could use a little maturity when it comes to processes and procedures. Still has a great start-up-like feeling, however, that usually leaves process implementation as an afterthought, so more time is spent on the back-end, under the gun, searching for answers. Jive could use a strong vision instead of moving rapidly from shiny object to shiny object.

Spend some cycles locking in process and procedures for the good of the organization. Process development isn't sexy, but in the long run it saves on staff time and customer frustration. We keep running into the same types of issues with an all too familiar regularity.

Jive is intense, but richly rewarding in many ways.

Current Employee - Sales in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Jive is full of great people, who are all great at what they do. Nobody is here just for the ride, and I love that everyone is trying to be the best they can. You will grow as a professional and a person if you join Jive. Plus, there are lots of perks, from Pizza to Playstation....

Cons

Jive is an intense ride and necessarily will become a massive part of your life. The downside is that switching off is not so easy!

Fast Pace, Fun and Rewarding

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Phenomenal people who work together to make our clients the happiest I have ever seen. No challenge is too much and the company constantly excites our customers with quality solutions and dedication to making our customers successful.

Cons

Be prepared to learn at a fast pace. As the market matures, Jive continues to set the pace and drive innovation and learning.

Keep pushing the company forward. Keep changing the way that our clients get work done. WorkStyle is market changing