Jo-Ann Stores
www.joann.com Hudson, OH 5000+ Employees

Jo-Ann Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Jo-Ann Stores – Henderson – “View from the parking lot of a Jo-Ann Store…”

Jo-Ann Stores President & CEO Travis Smith

Travis Smith

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is appreciated and is occasionally increased during the year"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Great Benefits (Full-time, as well as Part-time Sales Team Members)"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "It was a very frustrating place to work for minimum wage"
    in 30 reviews
  • "the acting manager/Team Members are bitter because they aren't offered the position"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

sale associate

ProsI enjoyed working with the customers

ConsThere wasn't enough hours and pay was bad

Worst job EVER!!

Operations Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Osage Beach, MO

ProsThe handful of great fellow associates you get to work with and wonderful repeat customers you develop a personal relationship with.

ConsJust about everything you can think of. This company is very corrupt!! They make you work long hours without any breaks at all but expect you to lie and commit fraud and fill out forms saying you did get a break to cover their own butts. This company is all about audit, audit, audit!! They do not care about people at all. This includes their employees as well as customers. This is by far the most negative work environment I have ever encountered!! The company almost promotes having high turnover in the stores. If you get tired of being abused and finally stand up for yourself and speak up you WILL be retaliated against!! This company also has ZERO regard to the laws and violate state and federal laws on a daily basis. This includes EEO laws!! This is also probably one of the lowest paying companies in the retail industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually take time to listen to your employees in the field what the problems are in the stores and take them seriously. Stop with double standards and actually follow your own policies such as not allowing bullying, harassment, hostile work environments, discrimination and retaliation!!

Customer service and corporate support give way to fear of litigation.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBase salaries very competitive. Ample training opportunities. Promotes in house promoting over outside sourcing. Good 401k plan. Medical benifits very good.

ConsVery dificult to demote or terminate problem team members. Corporate audit very difficult causing excessive stress. District managers verbally supportive without actually following thru.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to follow thru, support, and back up store management. Store managers are hourly with unrealistic break/lunch policies. They need to be salaried in order to do the job needed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dedicated to Non-existence

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsInside theses walls you will find some of the most talented and creative people in any industry.

ConsIt is a place where you work hard but your efforts go unnoticed. One often feel insignificant and unappreciated as elitism and often arrogance reign.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the brightest and most talented workers dedicate their lives to the success of this company, but often are not recognized or shown appreciation for their efforts. They would be an asset to any company.

Creative Missery

Cutting Counter/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIf you are creative, you will enjoy being surrounded by all the crafting supplies, and meeting other customers and employees who share your interests. As well as putting this knowledge to use. You can find quite a lot of inspiration if you look around.

ConsThe hours after the store closes, you may stay cleaning and putting returns back until 3 A.M. No one is allowed overtime. They rarely hire full-time employees. You start at minimum wage, and can only receive up to a 25 cent increase each year, if your exceeding expectations. Because of this, many employees have a poor attitude towards their job. No one seems to care enough about their own job. There is a very high employee turn-over rate. Good, hard, and efficient work is rarely noticed or rewarded. Customers can be incredibly cruel and harsh, although, that is found in most retail positions. Rush periods become very stressful because often, when you are cutting fabric, the process is not incredibly quick, so you end up with cranky customers due to the major back-up in lines. I used to love sewing, but by the time I got home, I didn't want to look at a piece of fabric, so it stole from me, my one passion I had in life.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and make note when employees go above and beyond. Employees should not start at minimum wage. Stop hiring people who don't know anything about your product, just because you want to put bodies on the floor.

Great Company!

Sales Team Member (Current Employee)
    Albany, GA

ProsGreat Benefits (Full-time, as well as Part-time Sales Team Members)
    Employee Discounts
    Creative Environment
    Flexible Schedules
    Majority of the customers are awesome.

ConsLow Pay
    "Full-time" hours are rarely close to 40 hours a week, more like 15-20 hours a week.
    Store-level management needs on-going training opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore Management needs on-going leadership and ethics training.
    Focus on trying to lead by example...your employees will not respect nor will they perform in their positions if management "doesn't like" to do certain tasks.

great place to work

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSo friendly. Enormous selection of products for the customer

Conswould like more work hours

interesting

Prosgreat products great store level managers

Conscompany expects too much out of workers for the amount of payroll given

Advice to Senior Managementspend a little more on payroll and you will find happier customers and employees and an increase in sales that you are always looking for

Not a bad seasonal job

Retail Associate (Former Employee)
    Rockford, IL

ProsThe employees were friendly, the boss was friendly, and the work was not extremely rigorous to the point where I felt my pay was unjustified. I had a bachelors already, but as a seasonal minimum wage job, I had no serious complaints.

ConsPeople can be ambitious and they might argue in a playful way. Customers may be disgruntled until you know the store really well, which starts to happen after your third week or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lay someone off for insubordination if it can be helped: You'll have to go through the entire re-hiring process again. Resolve issues rather than generating allegations.

Work experience varies by location

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Leominster, MA

ProsAt the retail level, the stores have every possibility to be customer friendly and creative through course offerings. Depending on size of store, generally wide range of good quality product with frequent sales and coupons and employee discounts.

ConsAt the retail levels there are few full-time openings. Part-time positions rarely get scheduled more than 15-20 hours per week. There is cursory training and bare bones staffing, to the point of customer dissatisfaction because they can rarely find someone free to answer a question or replenish an empty bin. Store managers often mistreat lower level managers. Seasonal employees are treated very badly and get the worst schedules. The emphasis is always on theft and yield - never on the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the emphasis is switched to customer satisfaction, you will have less theft and happier employees. Watching a customer being told "those are the rules" rather than an explanation of a floor procedure doesn't instill satisfaction. Store managers need to take personality tests prior to promotion. They should also be passionate about sewing and craft - not just have retail experience.

Worked for Jo-Ann Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jo-Ann Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jo-Ann Stores CEO Travis Smith. All 270 reviews posted anonymously by Jo-Ann Stores employees.