Jo-Ann Stores
www.joann.com Hudson, OH 5000+ Employees

Jo-Ann Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Jo-Ann Stores – Henderson – “View from the parking lot of a Jo-Ann Store…”

Jo-Ann Stores President & CEO Travis Smith

Travis Smith

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is appreciated and is occasionally increased during the year"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Great Benefits (Full-time, as well as Part-time Sales Team Members)"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "It was a very frustrating place to work for minimum wage"
    in 30 reviews
  • "the acting manager/Team Members are bitter because they aren't offered the position"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I enjoyed working at Joann's. Even though it was seasonal, it was a good first job experience.

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Mesquite, TX

Pros-friendly environment
    -enjoy arts and crafts
    -nice customers
    -good start pay
    -nice amount of time for lunch

ConsI don't have any cons, I liked my job and my peers around me. Just wish it was permanent instead of seasonal cause I liked working there.

Wonderful place to work!

Sales/Management (Current Employee)
    Greenwood, IN

ProsThe staff, management, the customers

ConsI did not have any cons in my years at Joanns

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Great part-time work

Sherman Oaks, CA

ProsMy manager was more than willing to work with me about scheduling because I also had a full time internship at the time. Although I was the youngest person on the team, I felt more than comfortable around my co-workers. We were almost like a family.

ConsManagers constantly told me that I would receive register training, but I never was. Even when the store was slow, they didn't take the time to train me. Therefore when Halloween (busy season) rolled in, they were short staffed and often looked towards me as if it were my fault.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great fun job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

Prosgreat customers, get to use your creativity to problem solve,organized and nice employee discount

Conslow pay,low hours when sales are sluggish

Advice to Senior Managementremember not all of your staff at 18 yo high school low achievers,they maybe working there just because they enjoy it certainly not for the pay

Good company, customer interaction is very rewarding

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Newark, DE

ProsCustomer interaction is very rewarding, there are discounts on classes, employees receive 30% discount, flexible work schedule (able to easily switch shifts if coworker is willing), meet a lot of creative people, very inspiring to work there.

ConsOpening is extensive, and closing is hardly better. Early hours if you are a part of the opening team, first thing in the morning, and if closing you may end up staying until 11:00 at night, pays minimum wage.

Always hectic and this year extremely stressful

ProsGreat time lots of interaction with the customer. A very creative work place

ConsPayroll cut to the point this year that it is impossible to keep up with the expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up you have already lost several seasoned managers in this area. You can't have the kind of customer service you want and get the daily job done with the payroll you have set for the stores this year

Great beginning job

Key Holder/Closing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat experience in easy retail sales
    Great opportunity to work with creative and open people

ConsPay isn't great for team member positions, usually minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more effectively to eliminate confusion and frustration with each other.

"It's all about the people, people...."

Team Member (Current Employee)

ProsWe have a pretty strong team in our store (I realize other stores may not be so lucky....), several of whom have been with the company more than 5 years. Our STL has a good handle on team strengths and weaknesses and staffs her building as well as she can with corporate limitations that are in place. I enjoy working in such a creative environment, it often leads to creative problem-solving in (our) workplace. Employee discount was a nice bonus for PT worker drones but now the "guests" are offered the same discount multiple times during the year, so that's no longer as big a deal as it was. It's nice being the first to see new merchandise come in, and work closely with (and be appreciated by!) so many returning customers. In our store, we have an Education Center, so those of us with the ability to teach/demo/sew sample garments are given an additional creative outlet, which really helps add a layer of interest to what often ends up as another thankless retail job. I cannot say enough good things about our STL; she really has a handle on what it takes to run our small-format store, and no job/task is "beneath" her. Also, she is very receptive to team member's suggestions/concerns, so there is a feeling of ownership by the team in the performance of the store. She will do her best to work with employees and their (sometimes messy and chaotic) lives, within the limitations/parameters laid down by corporate.

ConsWhere do I start??? I've been reading these reviews, and a consistent theme is "overworked and underpaid." Which is a pretty common theme in Retail-land. You are expected -- especially in a smaller-format store -- to be able to work wherever there is a need. And since (especially during night shifts, 5-9:93) there are usually only 2 workers in the store (including the MOD) you are expeccted to provide sterling-quality customer service PLUS assigned tasks all during business hours, with no available back-up, and often no chance for breaks . SO: Customer comes up and complains that the toilet is stopped up, either the closing manager leaves the register unattended or the cutting counter person rolls up his/ her sleeves, leaving six bottle carts of fabric sitting unattended to, to become That Plumber Guy. "Don't you have someone that comes in at night and does that?" "That would be me, ma'am." True story.
    HR and the DTLs just keep creating new quasi-management positions to "fix" task-completion problems. We have an STL, MTL, OTL, FTL, Education Coordinator, Freight Coordinator, and a closing keyholder, plus the new Stock Replenishment Coordinator -- in a store that's routinely given less than 300 payroll hours/week. So they end up working as cashier or cutting counter because there aren't enough management hours to go around. Hey, here's a notion: Why don't you take advantage of the strengths within a building's team, give them additional payroll hours/pay/responsibility/respect and see what happens? Every time a new "position" is created, hours are pulled from current, barebones payroll selling hours. So: You'll have someone coming in (plus a manager) at 5 a.m. 3-5 days a week (for a title and increased job responsibility but no increase in pay) but you have to pull your cutting counter or cashier coverage to pay for it? You have less payroll hours to actually work with the customers! That's just wrong.
    STLs are penalized for having experienced JoAnn employees on staff, because they bump up the average hourly wage. Often the choice is, put more rookies on the floor (who don't get as much done because they don't have the training/experience) OR put fewer longtime employees on the floor for less hours (who don't get as much done because higher payroll dollars dictate 2-person coverage.) In either case, recover goes out the window.
    And, sure, you can do additional tasks in the store, to keep the job interesting. Just don't expect to be allowed to get any additional hours for doing that. You wanna teach? You can pick up a shift on short notice if someone calls in sick? Or be Freight Coordinator? Well, you might just have to give up your floor hours then, because heaven forbid you get over 20 hours a week! So, you'll also be penalized for being a team player! Yep, you can teach that class or do that demo, but your Friday floor hours will be covered by Jane Teenager over there.
    And don't even get me started on the entitlement games played by all-too-many customers. And they get away with increasingly bad behavior toward team members and each other, and unreasonable demands because if they go up the ladder high enough, someone caves in and gives them a gift card, to boot. EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WRONG and NOT mishandled by the MOD! So what ends up happening on a store level is, team member says "No, I'm sorry ma'am, I can't do that", customer starts yelling for The Manager, who ends up giving in because if the customer complains to corporate, we'll have to give in anyways, which makes your team member look and feel like an idiot for following policy. Team members feel like no one's got their back.
    I'm about ready to throw in the towel, which is too bad because I'm a really strong, well-rounded team member, and my store needs me.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of the above, plus top 3 management positions should be salaried. Sure, you save some payroll dollars by being able to cut MTL and OTL hours to 32/week BUT all that does is shunt big chunks of their workload down to the team members, who end up doing management tasks for minimum wage (and watching management take credit for it) or the STL., who ends up regularly working 60+ hrs/week for task completion, and/or giving up PTO days to make payroll. And don't tell me HR isn't aware that this is going on company-wide. They just wring their hands sympathetically.
    Don't expect all your stores to fit the cookie-cutter corporate mold. Every customer base is different, and that customer base is where you pull your team members from. Listen to STLs who have a finger on the pulse of the people they sell to. Like it or not, every store IS different.
    Invest in your people, supporting the all-stars and culling the dross. You'll be repaid by loyalty, hard work, grassroots innovation,and profits, and isn't that what you're all about?
    Watch what kind of merchandise you're putting in the stores. Maybe look for input from actual people that work in the field. Current example: Playballs. Really????
    There are a lot of directives that come down from Ohio that look good on paper. In practice, not so much. Focus on the customer is what is expected, but it is increasingly impossible to do!

A lot of drama between employees and management & major payroll cuts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved working with crafty people and helping customers with their projects. I also loved the discounts because any craft you do can get pretty expensive.

ConsPayroll cuts has us down to one manager and one staff member. This was not adequate for handling the amount of customers we had at most times of the day. Most of the day is filled with apologizing to customers that there isn't more staff to help them or for the extremely long lines. We often times did not get our required breaks because we had no one to cover our position. Management was extremely unprofessional with employees. We also often times did not receive our schedules until the day before they started and we had no consistency of when we worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct professional with both employees and customers. Value your customers or they will go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Tons of work for no pay.

Team Member (Former Employee)
    Metairie, LA

ProsWorking with the customers is really fulfilling. The coworkers are mostly good like most anywhere else. The employee discount is great.

ConsThe pay is almost non-existent. Management is a mixed bag, some are great but others are awful. Management above the store level doesn't value either the customer or the worker making their visits very uncomfortable. I was asked to do management work while being paid just above minimum wage. Never plan on getting off when you are scheduled to.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some training: time management, cultural sensitivity, and most importantly get passionate about what you're doing.

Worked for Jo-Ann Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jo-Ann Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jo-Ann Stores CEO Travis Smith. All 270 reviews posted anonymously by Jo-Ann Stores employees.