Jo-Ann Stores

Updated January 25, 2015
2.6

Jo-Ann Stores President & CEO Travis Smith
Travis Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount is appreciated and is occasionally increased during the year (in 41 reviews)

• Great Benefits (Full-time, as well as Part-time Sales Team Members) (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • My hours are inconsistent, but that's pretty typical of minimum wage retail (in 39 reviews)

• So team members who can do both are usually asked to do everything (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Basic retail job

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

Flexible schedule and great people to work with!

Cons

Recovery can require ridiculously long hours.

Good company, but not so good with pay

Former Employee - Key Holder/Closing Manager in Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Closing Manager in Ballwin, MO

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

I had a lot of fun. I was able to be crafty. It was fun to hear people's ideas and see their work when they brought it in. A lot of great associates to work with and share ideas.

Cons

Sometimes I had to do a working lunch. Not enough associates to get the amount of work done. Had to sign people up for coupons. Also, with fabric, some dye lots would be a tad off, so you would have to reorder fabric. (Sometimes several times)

Work with employees and listen to them. Your employees are the face of your company.

Very unhappy, to much emphasis on cutting payroll and people in key places haven't been in the stores.

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Practice diversity, profitable, good opp for older part-time

Cons

Cutt payroll too tight unforgiving envirnment

Be more realistic

Great craft store, ok work environment.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

20% discount if you are a crafter. Most co-workers are nice (after they see you have good work ethic).

Cons

I took up a "seasonal" position during late October. Before I was hired, I was very clear I had another part time job and was looking for only 15-20 hrs a week, but I would be available for all holidays. She said they we're very willing to work with me and ensured my hours wouldn't exceed 20. However, my first two weeks were 27.5 hours. Frustrated and exhausted (my other job is 25hrs a week) I spoke to the store manager. He looked at me like I was crazy, and it was clear the information had not been passed on to him. He didn't even know I had another job, but agreed to give me less hours. Well, he did, and instantly I was down to 9hrs a week.

They are also very unclear about how long the seasonal position is. Upon hiring I told the interviewer I needed days off in January and February. She told me she didn't need them, the position was only until the first week of January. That time rolls around, I expect the 2nd to be my last day, only to notice I was still scheduled for the next two weeks, which included days I needed off. They have a policy that you must request days 3 weeks in advance. So I was kind of frustrated.

Customers expect you to know every product in the store, and how to complete their projects for them. They get irritated when you can't just give them coupons. Working at customer service booth can be overwhelming with having to take phone calls and run the register. There is a lot at the register you're not taught, such as never returning fabric. I made this mistake, and was snapped at viciously by a manager. Originally I was hired and would undergo training in two areas--from what I've continuously seen you only ever really get to work one.

My co-workers hardly said two words to me the first few weeks, which made it uneasy aaking for help because I received little training. Only after I showed I was a hard worker did I receive some nice responses. Learn where things are quickly if you'll be doing returns and/or closing shift. And ask anyone you can how to use the scanner because no one will train you. The overall atmosphere is kind of sad, most of my co-workers were older and were highly educated but just seemed stuck and unhappy being just cashiers and fabric cutters.

Actually train your staff, give them a lesson on how to use the stupid scanners. Encourage any achievements made, not just announcing sales figures every night. Let someone know upfront if you are able to work with their schedule or not. Communicate efficiently between managers!

Couldn't wait to leave

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

Getting a paycheck, close to home

Cons

Managers lack knowledge, store was disgusting, customers were arrogant

Merchandising Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

Most people are extremely helpful and nice. The pay is amazing when you are in College and trying to get ahead with your internships. I gained real life knowledge and helped out with tremendous projects. Feels good to be part of something BIG.

Cons

Sometimes the older generation will look down to you and make you feel that you are in-superior. No paid time off even if you work more than 90 days.

As an intern who has worked more than 90 days, I feel I should have the same paid time off as the other hourly full time employees.

Fine, flexible part time work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lansing, MI

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Managers were very flexible with my schedule, working around my classes every semester. Co-workers were very nice, and the discount on everything in the store was great. Managers were very good about making sure everyone got their breaks on time, and worked with anyone who wanted to learn new skills.

Cons

Pay somewhat low, but too unexpected for a CSR postion. Black Friday is a nightmare.

What can you expect from retail

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Cockeysville, MD
    Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Cockeysville, MD

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Entry level and accepts no experience. Decent employee discount. Somewhat creative environment.

Cons

Very poor training structure and little to no positive reinforcement or respect from superiors. Thus, there was also a high turnover rate.

Provide more organized training and motivation for employees, especially when moved to manager level. Value employees who work hard.

No training

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Hudson, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Hudson, OH

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Have lots of hours during holiday season

Cons

There is little to no training. They throw you on the phones and expect you to handle the customers. Having two managers to report to that would give you different answers was hard to figure out which one was right.

Would not recommend to anyone who is a hard working person

Current Employee - Team Member in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good working with team members/coworkers, discount was alright but disappointing when you compare it to ACMoore or Michaels.

Cons

Not a lot of training, very patronizing management to all team members especially in front of customers. Management plays favorites and will make sure you know what side of that list you are on. Only focused on sales and numbers not about customers leaving satisfied.

Value your team members, especially the ones that are always on time, hard working and never question the tasks assigned. Please stop putting down you team members in front of customers. Also, if you value us, you will keep us and not struggle with turn over so much.

It stinks when you are customer service and you are told repeatedly that you are the only smiling face in the store, fix that from within.

Jo-Ann Stores Photos

View from the parking lot of a Jo-Ann Store located in Henderson, NV (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.64)

+ Add Photo