Jo-Ann Stores

Updated November 17, 2014
2.7

Jo-Ann Stores President & CEO Travis Smith
Travis Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount is appreciated and is occasionally increased during the year (in 41 reviews)

• Great Benefits (Full-time, as well as Part-time Sales Team Members) (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • My hours are inconsistent, but that's pretty typical of minimum wage retail (in 38 reviews)

• So team members who can do both are usually asked to do everything (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved It

Former Employee - Cashier/Craft Associate in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Craft Associate in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts, Easy, Generally friendly co-workers and coustomers

Cons

On your feet all day, lots of reorganizing displays, retail around the holidays is NOT FUN

JoAnn Fabrics

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Parkville, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Parkville, MD

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

It's retail, so the pay is low and no weekends off.

Jo-anns stores

Current Employee - Team Project in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Team Project in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the pros are you learn so many different aspects of the company and truthfully youll never have a dull moment theres just too many things to see classes offered to take to learn new fun crafts as well as well needed skills for home life

Cons

for me there are no cons i love the store and my co-workers

keep up the great work and positive way you treat people you all are the best thanks for making me a part of your family

Disconnect from corporate and employees

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

20% discount. Most co-workers. Most managers....some customers

Cons

CORPORATE does NOT care about customers!! Money, Money, Money is all they care about. They cut store hours to the bare minimum, the employees have to work with a VERY skeletal crew to unload truck, set products and help customers. The number one complaint we always get from customers is, 'there are no associates around for help". If corporate wants to bring more money into the company, they need to understand that customers are slowly going to stop coming back to the store because of lack of help. No workers--> No customers --> No money! :(

Hectic crazy retail

Current Employee - Seasonal Team Member
    Current Employee - Seasonal Team Member

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers are pretty friendly and it's fun to talk about projects with them. Most of my coworkers were pretty nice and helpful. If you like to be creative it's a stimulating environment to be in.

Cons

Training was very minimal, almost nonexistent. I had to figure a lot of things out for myself. Customers come to you expecting you to know everything and it's hard when you're new and have to ask all the time. They are understaffed which makes everyone stressed out. You would think then they would want to hire more people, but they still complain about being over on payroll even lacking people. The pay is crap. It's typical retail, meaning person after person after person. It's hard to take a break sometimes because they're always so busy and demanding of your time.

Hire enough people to cover every shift in every department so that when it's busy your employees aren't stressed out and there aren't lines everywhere. Implement a better training program for new hires. Be willing to pay a little better.

I had some good days and some bad days

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buena Park, CA

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seasonal get alot of hours
    Alot of nice people go there
    Very respectful
    Not that hard of a job very kickback

Cons

Very low of staff
    Need to hire more faster workers also because it gets very busy especially during the holidays

Jo-Ann

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

management is friendly, minimal training, staff is nice

Cons

minimum wage, sometimes breaks are really late if store is busy

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Store Team Leader
    Current Employee - Store Team Leader

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions are there for qualified people. Compensation is fair for the market. Work hard and growth will happen. It's a different environment. it's a different kind of retail. A lot of hard work, but it's very rewarding. Communication is great throughout the company. Open door policy is practiced.

Cons

Normal problems regarding having enough payroll to do the job. Very audit driven, but doing it this way ensures that all stores are running efficiently.

Give more notice for promotions. Planning last minute events are hard on the teams to execute. Give enough hours to make sure that the stores are successful on a daily basis. Understand what we have to do at the store level. Don't forget what it is to be in the store working with the customers and having to complete all the expectations.

Typical retail. A few great people, a few problematic managers.

Former Employee - Sales Floor in Placentia, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor in Placentia, CA

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Creative environment, and flexible schedule are a plus. The customers are better than those you will find in a place like Target or Walmart. Occasionally we got to design projects for display, which was fun and creative.

Cons

There was a wide swing in hours available per week. Unless you are a manager, you will be all over the board. Sometime I would only get 8 hours a week, other times I could get 24. Corporate really nails the small stored for hours based on their sales. We were usually understaffed. Corporate limited all part time shifts to 4.5 hours, which is horrible, and make very uninformed decisions about their stores, planos etc.

Work on scheduling.

Stressful; poor business model, understaffed

Current Employee - Part Time Team Member
    Current Employee - Part Time Team Member

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to work with crafts and creative ideas, Team Member discount, sometimes it's slow

Cons

Understaffed, constantly ask closers to stay late to pick up slack, zero training or orientation, rolling/changing weekly schedule, low pay, long periods of standing in one place, unclear expecations

It was very disappointing to me that this company seems poorly run and executed on a corporate level. This could have been a nice place to work were it not for the fact that the big wigs seem more interested in putting money in their pockets than actually running a good store, providing real customer service, or caring for employees.

Corporate would not give us the payroll to properly staff the store. We were CONSTANTLY understaffed (severely), and there was absolutely no training or orientation program. Managers seemed stressed out and over-worked, and each was living under the assumption that someone ELSE had told you what you needed to know to do your job correctly. There were constant threats of "the auditor visit" and all the things you were doing wrong that would get them to fail their audit, but you were only ever told AFTER THE FACT which was extremely stressful. I repeatedly asked for ANY kind of orientation or employee handbook and was told there was no such thing. I asked if there was any way for me to know the rules before I broke them (re: coupons, returns, proper way to cut fabric) and several employees, including one manager, told me "nope, you just have to learn as you go" (and yes, in the meantime they're telling you -- AFTER THE FACT -- that you could be terminated immediately for doing such-and-such wrong).

Because there was no time during a person's shift to do go-backs and log fabric scraps/rems, those piled up throughout the day and became the work of people on the closing shift, who were then made to stay later -- often HOURS later -- to pick up the slack during busy seasons (again, a problem of being understaffed). This is a last-minute schedule change that is technically ok from an "at-will" employer, but most places still choose to be respectful enough of their workers to not pull this level of bs. Only slightly better, there were days I came in to find a sticky note had been added to the current schedule saying "all closers now need to stay an hour later that originally scheduled". Not ok.

The store was also filthy. I know there's a lot of lint and dust associated with selling fabric, florals, paper and other products a company like this stocks, but we are talking about some seriously huge dust bunnies. ALL over the store. Thread spools that were actually red looked almost entirely grey with dust. I am not exaggerating. Again, no one had the time to clean because there weren't enough people. This was NOT a failure of the employees to do their jobs, it was a failure of the company on a much higher level.

In addition, I had a problem with the way they dealt with coupons (both from a customer and an employee standpoint; all the rules, regulations, possible violations, reasons for immediate termination that surrounded coupon use and "coupon fraud" which was up to individual employees to catch (or risk losing your job) rather than the company having the proper technology in place to disallow the use of a given coupon multiple times... like EVERY other store has). I had a problem with the fact that the company attempted to increase sales through the "would you like fires with that?" method. In my view, trying to upsell at the register, often much to the annoyance of the customer, is part of an outdated business model. There's a reason most companies stopped using the "upsell at the register" tactic decade ago. For example, I have NEVER gone into Michael's (or any other store in the last 10 years) and been asked if i want to add onto my purchase a tote, or a pair of gloves, or some elastic that I don't need. Just offer good products at good prices. Period. Sure, there are places that ask you to donate, or ask if you want to get the "value meal" or whatever, but that is not the same thing.

On top of it all, there was all this empty talk about how the company was environmentally friendly or wanted employees to "go green", but they seemed to waste more paper (flyers and unused coupons), cardboard, and other packaging than any other place I've worked. It all just went into the trash, as far as I could tell. No recycling whatsoever (except on maybe large cardboard boxes). I don't even mind that they weren't "green". It's the hypocrisy.

Jo-Ann Stores Photos

View from the parking lot of a Jo-Ann Store located in Henderson, NV (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.64)

+ Add Photo