Jo-Ann Stores Reviews

Reset

Lack of everything

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates you work with are friendly and passionate about crafting. You get a twenty percent discount. They carry lots of awesome products.

Cons

Very poor training program, it's like they expect you to know how to do the job the first day you're hired. Not enough time is given to complete projects because hours are always being cut. The customers are very needy. The store is always understaffed giving very little floor coverage. The breaks are short, if you get to take them. Also the schedule is always changing. It should be posted a week in advance but often goes up Saturday evening.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in training. Be more considerate with posting the schedule on time. Most people like to see there schedule a week in advance so they can plan there week. Not everyone's life revolves around Joanns.

A hopeless disaster of ridiculous expectations

Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are very nice. Good team spirit. Most customers are very nice and understanding. New CEO seems more open to change/improvements than the last one, so fingers crossed.

Cons

There's a stodgy little man in management who I'll call "Morty" who has taken it upon himself to punish every living soul in this company who doesn't meet whatever arbitrary goals he's conjured up and set before us. Don't sell enough of "X" product? Hours get cut, and managers get written up. Overall sales are down? Same thing- it's like they expect us to turn people over and shake them for change some days. Don't manage to out-sell a bigger store in a bigger town? Same thing again. It's like they opened all these smaller stores and don't understand why we don't have sales like a store twice our size in a bustling metropolis. It's a hostile, toxic environment that upper management is fostering, and how the managers above me haven't all quit out of sheer frustration is beyond me. As an entry level employee, expect the absolute least amount of hours they can give you, and expect to spend most of your time working alone without any hope of help should you need it. One of the few companies I've ever worked at where most of the staff learned everything (and I mean everything) on the fly from dog-eared operation manuals, as there's no budget to train people.

Advice to Management

Get your "marketing" team and "District" leaders together, and actually have them work in a store for a week under the policies they have created. Have them set the ridiculous plan-o-grams, deal with the buggy website and irate customers, all with nearly nonexistent coverage, all while trying to up-sell overpriced classes and tie-in merchandise without any backup or lunches. I think everyone working here would be far more receptive to all the ludicrous changes, policies, and expectations if the people IMPLEMENTING them actually knew what it was like to work in the conditions they have fostered. This could be one of the best retail jobs out there if management got out of their offices and actually worked with us, rather than just dictating without knowing what's really going on, and the impact their policies have on their employees and customers. We'll tell you if you take the time to listen.

Former Full Time Key Holder who will not put up with verbal abuse

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

If you are a crafter or sewer it is great to get the inside scoop on all of the new products

Cons

The manager talks to the employees like we are all ignorant children. On my 3 day of work he called me an idiot when i asked him how to fix something that was broken. I was also subjected to 20 minutes of the manager verbally abusing a disabled team member behind her back. The manager will expect you to be at his beck and call 24/7 and if you are unable for any reason, family, health, whatever, you are as good as garbage and are disposable to him.

Advice to Management

This store is never going to retain employees and will continue to have a high turnover if they are treated in such a poor manner. I don't blame the company, at all, but entirely this particular location's manager.

Merchandising manager

Former Employee - Merchandising Team Leader in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Merchandising Team Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can not think of anything good about this place except that I was always busy and the team member discount.

Cons

No value to any employees. Unrealistic goals. Terrible pay. Corporate unwilling to listen to any conserns. HR department is laughable and terrible at their job. Run away! This place will make you HATE your life and eat your soul!

Merchandising manager

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The team was like family, worked well together. I miss the team more than anything else. Pay was fairly good, but that has recently changed as well

Cons

The company has gone down hill over the last few years and continues to fall. They no longer care about employees or customers is about the almighty dollar and causing them to lose customers and employees at an alarming rate. Why do you think the ceo resigned, He knew what was ahead.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't have the power to change this it has to come from higher up, like corporate

Nice Coworkers, poor company management

Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, and you meet all kinds creative people. The discounts, sales, and coupons are nice too.

Cons

The company has a chokehold on payroll. A regular employee can't make more than minimum wage, and they give as few hours as possible.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who take care of your customers. We barely have enough man power at any given time to cover the register and cutting counter. There is no one available to assist customers, answer questions, and walk them back to where something is on the shelf. If we can't do that, we can't suggest additional items for their project and enhance sales. What we can provide now is barely passable as "customer service." Empower your employees to take pride in their work. Right now a lot of us have the attitude of "at least it's better than working in fast food."

8. Nice, but hectic

Current Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly staff, no drug test, easy interview

Cons

standing all the time, lots of multitasking

9. Team Member

Former Employee - Team Member in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Team Member in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount; opportunity to learn about crafting; I liked my coworkers.

Cons

Long shifts; irregular breaks; low pay.

Corporate is failing its employees

Current Employee - Administrative/Cashier
    Current Employee - Administrative/Cashier

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked part time for six years. Initiall I was able to get nearly 40 hrs/wk but with govt changes I can only work 28 per week averaged for the year. Team members are friendly and easy to work with. The 20% discount is good...with certain pay periods the discount is increased to30%. I have earned the daylight shift especially with my admin duties, which is my preference. I stay bc I have a schedule that works for me bc I care for a family member when not at work. We have no stl but I have great respect for our otl

Cons

Pay is terrible for the amount of work and responsibility required. I do not even make $8/hour. No Ed. Coord for a year, so there is another added duty that is shared. Corporate limits labor to increase profit. There are times I go from admin to cashier to cutting counter in one day bc there are only 3 or 4 of us in a large format store. One Sat. We had 1 mgr myself and a cutting counter for more than 5 hours. Now they are going to combine the operations&merch mgmt positions so we will again lose another t.m....guarantee this will cause more people to leave.

Advice to Management

Increase wages especially when a t.m. has more responsibility.. Have more respect for your store employees. Travis Smith is no longer CEO...glassdoor needs updated

11. District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager in Parrish, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Parrish, FL

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Products Good management resources Solid leadership

Cons

Too much territory for District

RSS Feed </> Embed