Jo-Ann Stores Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
2.7

Jo-Ann Stores President & CEO Travis Smith
Travis Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount is appreciated and is occasionally increased during the year (in 41 reviews)

• Great Benefits (Full-time, as well as Part-time Sales Team Members) (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • My hours are inconsistent, but that's pretty typical of minimum wage retail (in 38 reviews)

• So team members who can do both are usually asked to do everything (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Fine place to work for

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits, fine advancement opportunities within company.

Cons

pay is low if you are not full-time or a manager. I'm glad I had experience as my training for my position should have been more than 2 weeks or at a store that receives more business in the area.

Listen to your team members, get schedules up earlier than the Wednesday before the start of the week.

Hard to get hired again.

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

You get 20% store discount.

Cons

Seasonal position, so i didn't work long enough to get hired on again.
    they only hire within the store. So if you worked there before you have a higher chance of working there again.

Pretty decent company overall, but definitely room for improvement.

Current Employee - Clerk in Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Clerk in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate office offers training programs/classes that you can take advantage of...these are great and can be added to your resume (also free). Pay is probably above average to start.

Cons

Unless you're in management, work/life balance is difficult (at least that's been my experience). Benefits are expensive. Very hard to move up in the company unless you've got a "piece of paper that says you're worth something."

Not everyone looks at the job board constantly, trolling for a new position. When there's a position that you feel a team member meets the criteria for, let them know, and offer their name and recommend them for the position. By the same token, when an employee has been there for a long time and is trying to move up, just because you'd hate to lose them on the team, don't hinder them from bettering themselves.

Overworked, underpaid, but overall a good experience.

Former Employee - Associate in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Associate in Littleton, CO

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with here, even most of the management. One pro to being such a small staff was that it was very family like. We were all close. The customers here were always better than customers at other types of stores too, something about crafty people I guess. I was pregnant when I worked here and everyone was mostly good about helping me or understanding when there were things I couldn't do.

Cons

We were responsible for so many things at once here. I'm not afraid of work or doing things outside my job description but being responsible for everything from customer care to restocking to bathroom cleaning during one shift was kind of a lot, especially for the low pay, I was ready to drop after every shift. I also got tendonitis from working the cut counter.

One more big downside to working here is the level of technology. The registers are old, and the pos system is dated. People these days are used to fast checkouts at stores and when you have to do so many things manually it really slows down the process. Updating the equipment would go a long way for improving both customer and employee experiences.

they gave me confidence to go for word and learn new things

Former Employee - Cashier in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Peoria, IL

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I always did come away with a new skill or technique that I did not have before.

Cons

The home office rules were always changing without notice or reason.

Use common sense as opposed to written rules.

I enjoyed working at Joann's. Even though it was seasonal, it was a good first job experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Mesquite, TX

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-friendly environment
    -enjoy arts and crafts
    -nice customers
    -good start pay
    -nice amount of time for lunch

Cons

I don't have any cons, I liked my job and my peers around me. Just wish it was permanent instead of seasonal cause I liked working there.

Worst Job I Ever Had!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Columbia, SC

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get discounts on merchandise and fabrics.

Cons

First of all,the store is filthy! When customers go in the store,they might not notice just how filthy the place is because they are too busy looking at fabrics and what not.The floors are basically never mopped or swept.They have some cleaning people come in once a month,and the employees are too busy doing a million other things(because the place is understaffed,probably so that the company never has to pay many people to run the store) that there is never any down time or time for the employees to clean the store,bathrooms or break room.Our break room was so nasty that I couldn't even eat in there,and managers only clean or ask the employees to clean the bathrooms when customers complained,instead of cleaning it regularly.The manager did not train me very well,and I don't think that they trained anybody very well.They made me put some stuff up on the first day,gave me a quick tour of the store,then showed me how to ring a customer up.They did not show me how to do anything else in the store unless I a customer came up needing something and I asked them to show me,like how to sign customers up for classes,do exchanges or returns,how to make remnants,the proper way to fold large pieces of fabrics etc.I had to figure out most other things on my own,and if I asked the manager,she would sometimes catch an attitude.I figured out how to do a return on my own,but when I tried to do it again the same way it did not work,and the other employee who did it for me,could not explain to me why it didn't.Also a manager has to see you before you leave the store,even if you don't have a bag with you,to make sure you are not stealing anything.Why do they have to see you when they have a million different camera's up all over the store? Since they don't usually have many employees out on the floor,when it gets busy,there will be something like ten people in line,3 or 4 at the cutting counter,a few waiting to ask questions,the phone ringing off the hook,and fabric piled up in baskets behind the counter.Customers also expect employees to know more about fabrics and sewing than what the managers tell you.Sometimes we had to do recovery,so we had to lift heavy boxes out of truck,take the merchandise out,put prices on them,so inventory and put them out on the shelves.The store is also not very organized compared to other stores,so it can be hard to figure out where sections are.The scanners will tell us what sections things go in,but not where the sections are,which are not always in order.This was a very stressful job and the people who can make the same amount working as just a cashier at a gas station or department store are lucky.Joann's did not pay me enough for all the work I did.

Take the time to train new employees better.Hire people to clean the store and break room DAILY. Put more employees out on the floor so that the current ones aren't being worked to death all the time.Actually show that you care about the people who work for you,and they will show that they actually care about your company.

Not a great experience

Current Employee - Mtl
    Current Employee - Mtl

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly Co workers, decent customers

Cons

Expected to do more than humanly possible. 230 hours per week and 195 goes to management. As a manager you have to be a cashier cut fabric and stock all at the same time. Ran the store for over 3 months with 1 visit from dtl and basically no support. Always being over looked. No room for promotion. Way too many repetitive processes. Pay is awful a .30 raise after 2 years and a promotion that I never agreed to and could not be demoted once new position was pushed through without my knowledge.

Don't let a store run without an stl. Pay your management more and consider more than a .30 annual raise. Give more than 230 hours to the skeleton crew.

They abuse their employes-BEWARE!!!!!!!

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Knowing the best deals in the store because of advance notice on sales. Coworkers were all very nice-no complaints there.

Cons

Management and upper management treat employees like crap and try to force people who have been with the company and who earn higher salaries out the door. Hours get cut all the time. They call people off one hour before they are supposed to be at work, Minimal training for new employees. They want an entire staff of part-time employees who get scheduled 4-8 hours a week so that people are starving for hours and will come in last minute when they are busy or have a call-off. Stores are all filthy and bathrooms are a health hazard. Stores are run with bare boned staff and customers yell at the few employees they see that there is no help on the floor and nobody to answer questions. If managers make their payroll they see huge bonuses, Unless you are hired as upper management I advise to STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Treat people with respect and people will want to do well and make the store profitable. If you continue to abuse good employees they will leave and the company will lose solid people.

"It's all about the people, people...."

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have a pretty strong team in our store (I realize other stores may not be so lucky....), several of whom have been with the company more than 5 years. Our STL has a good handle on team strengths and weaknesses and staffs her building as well as she can with corporate limitations that are in place. I enjoy working in such a creative environment, it often leads to creative problem-solving in (our) workplace. Employee discount was a nice bonus for PT worker drones but now the "guests" are offered the same discount multiple times during the year, so that's no longer as big a deal as it was. It's nice being the first to see new merchandise come in, and work closely with (and be appreciated by!) so many returning customers. In our store, we have an Education Center, so those of us with the ability to teach/demo/sew sample garments are given an additional creative outlet, which really helps add a layer of interest to what often ends up as another thankless retail job. I cannot say enough good things about our STL; she really has a handle on what it takes to run our small-format store, and no job/task is "beneath" her. Also, she is very receptive to team member's suggestions/concerns, so there is a feeling of ownership by the team in the performance of the store. She will do her best to work with employees and their (sometimes messy and chaotic) lives, within the limitations/parameters laid down by corporate.

Cons

Where do I start??? I've been reading these reviews, and a consistent theme is "overworked and underpaid." Which is a pretty common theme in Retail-land. You are expected -- especially in a smaller-format store -- to be able to work wherever there is a need. And since (especially during night shifts, 5-9:93) there are usually only 2 workers in the store (including the MOD) you are expeccted to provide sterling-quality customer service PLUS assigned tasks all during business hours, with no available back-up, and often no chance for breaks . SO: Customer comes up and complains that the toilet is stopped up, either the closing manager leaves the register unattended or the cutting counter person rolls up his/ her sleeves, leaving six bottle carts of fabric sitting unattended to, to become That Plumber Guy. "Don't you have someone that comes in at night and does that?" "That would be me, ma'am." True story.
    HR and the DTLs just keep creating new quasi-management positions to "fix" task-completion problems. We have an STL, MTL, OTL, FTL, Education Coordinator, Freight Coordinator, and a closing keyholder, plus the new Stock Replenishment Coordinator -- in a store that's routinely given less than 300 payroll hours/week. So they end up working as cashier or cutting counter because there aren't enough management hours to go around. Hey, here's a notion: Why don't you take advantage of the strengths within a building's team, give them additional payroll hours/pay/responsibility/respect and see what happens? Every time a new "position" is created, hours are pulled from current, barebones payroll selling hours. So: You'll have someone coming in (plus a manager) at 5 a.m. 3-5 days a week (for a title and increased job responsibility but no increase in pay) but you have to pull your cutting counter or cashier coverage to pay for it? You have less payroll hours to actually work with the customers! That's just wrong.
    STLs are penalized for having experienced JoAnn employees on staff, because they bump up the average hourly wage. Often the choice is, put more rookies on the floor (who don't get as much done because they don't have the training/experience) OR put fewer longtime employees on the floor for less hours (who don't get as much done because higher payroll dollars dictate 2-person coverage.) In either case, recover goes out the window.
    And, sure, you can do additional tasks in the store, to keep the job interesting. Just don't expect to be allowed to get any additional hours for doing that. You wanna teach? You can pick up a shift on short notice if someone calls in sick? Or be Freight Coordinator? Well, you might just have to give up your floor hours then, because heaven forbid you get over 20 hours a week! So, you'll also be penalized for being a team player! Yep, you can teach that class or do that demo, but your Friday floor hours will be covered by Jane Teenager over there.
    And don't even get me started on the entitlement games played by all-too-many customers. And they get away with increasingly bad behavior toward team members and each other, and unreasonable demands because if they go up the ladder high enough, someone caves in and gives them a gift card, to boot. EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WRONG and NOT mishandled by the MOD! So what ends up happening on a store level is, team member says "No, I'm sorry ma'am, I can't do that", customer starts yelling for The Manager, who ends up giving in because if the customer complains to corporate, we'll have to give in anyways, which makes your team member look and feel like an idiot for following policy. Team members feel like no one's got their back.
    I'm about ready to throw in the towel, which is too bad because I'm a really strong, well-rounded team member, and my store needs me.

All of the above, plus top 3 management positions should be salaried. Sure, you save some payroll dollars by being able to cut MTL and OTL hours to 32/week BUT all that does is shunt big chunks of their workload down to the team members, who end up doing management tasks for minimum wage (and watching management take credit for it) or the STL., who ends up regularly working 60+ hrs/week for task completion, and/or giving up PTO days to make payroll. And don't tell me HR isn't aware that this is going on company-wide. They just wring their hands sympathetically.
    Don't expect all your stores to fit the cookie-cutter corporate mold. Every customer base is different, and that customer base is where you pull your team members from. Listen to STLs who have a finger on the pulse of the people they sell to. Like it or not, every store IS different.
    Invest in your people, supporting the all-stars and culling the dross. You'll be repaid by loyalty, hard work, grassroots innovation,and profits, and isn't that what you're all about?
    Watch what kind of merchandise you're putting in the stores. Maybe look for input from actual people that work in the field. Current example: Playballs. Really????
    There are a lot of directives that come down from Ohio that look good on paper. In practice, not so much. Focus on the customer is what is expected, but it is increasingly impossible to do!

Jo-Ann Stores Photos

View from the parking lot of a Jo-Ann Store located in Henderson, NV (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.64)

+ Add Photo