Jo-Ann Stores Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
392 reviews filtered by

Good as a temp job not so good long term.

Current Employee - Cutting Counter in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Cutting Counter in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is always a plus when you are a crafter. All of the employees and management are relatively friendly. Free admission to the classes if you have time. Management will try to work with your schedule. First look at new merchandise. Over time you'll learn more about the different types of fabrics and materials depending which section you mostly work at.

Cons

Like anywhere there will be that one or two people in management who you will dread working with. Recovery at closing can be near impossible to get done to the standards of the new management. Cutting counter team members are left to fend for themselves at recovery since no other members are trained to do any of the draping, know where any of fabric goes or know where any of the sewing merchandise goes. Expect to have long closing hours and random corporate visits. Very physically and mentally demanding for minimum wage. Communication lacks between shifts and management. Training new hires has seemed to gone out of the window. Part-time team members hardly get any benefits. Full employment is rare. Hardly anyone advances. Customers can be very demanding and irrational. Recognition is more of "selling yourself" to get customers to fill out customer comment cards which are never advertised just to get a pin.

Be realistic about demands and standards. Employees are only capable to do so much in a certain amount of time. Train everyone to work at the cutting counter. The more people who knows how to handle the major section of the store will cut the recovery in half. Asking is better than demanding team members to stay to do tasks that go past their expected time frame. Everyone has lives outside of the store and even many have more than one job.

Underpaid and overworked

Current Employee - Team Member in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time

Pros

The other people I work with are friendly, and the employee discount is nice, especially for anyone who crafts or sews.

Cons

The management doesn't coordinate well, the pay is low (minimum wage to start, $0.20 raise per year - so much for "competitive pay"), and shifts are too often worked by the minimum amount of people necessary to cut back on payroll expenses- and that leaves the store messy and workers stressed over getting fabric back on the shelves while still trying to work the cutting counter and register.

Raise pay- if we work this hard, we should at least be compensated for it.

Uber Corporate environment that does not practice what they preach

Former Employee - Marketing in Hudson, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing in Hudson, OH

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, employee sample sale, store discount, and if you work in PR or Events, travel to really cool events (I was not part of these departments, however)

Cons

Ridiculous expectations for team members who are not management level, management attends meetings all day, no work, upper management attends meetings all day but do not share feedback with workers, C-level management and executives do not know how to make decisions, are afraid to make decisions, and do not consider the production schedules in place for a reason - which creates turmoil for working team members along with long and stressful hours of unnecessary work.

I had high hopes for a career...a lasting career at a place I believed was perfect to flourish in an environment of something I truly believe in, crafting and inspiration. Inside the corporate office, the environment is something completely different. Nearly every day, I was afraid of saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, wearing the wrong clothing, and coming to the table with new ideas for fear that this would intimidate anyone at a higher level than me that I was going to "steal" their job. It had nothing to do with the excellent work I performed, the processes I put into place, the position I created and the order I restored to a department that hardly existed when I got there.

That was another thing....I was hired in for a particular position, but my first day, even my manager said, "we're not entirely sure what you'll be doing, but don't worry, you will be doing something!"

Highly disorganized company that does not value the ideas of lower level employees, even after begging for their innovative ideas. No change is ever made.

Hire managers with experience who are not afraid of change and innovation, not simply continue to promote from within people with little or no experience in the position. Communicate all and often with all levels of employees.

5. Merchandising Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

Most people are extremely helpful and nice. The pay is amazing when you are in College and trying to get ahead with your internships. I gained real life knowledge and helped out with tremendous projects. Feels good to be part of something BIG.

Cons

Sometimes the older generation will look down to you and make you feel that you are in-superior. No paid time off even if you work more than 90 days.

As an intern who has worked more than 90 days, I feel I should have the same paid time off as the other hourly full time employees.

6. Fine, flexible part time work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lansing, MI

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Managers were very flexible with my schedule, working around my classes every semester. Co-workers were very nice, and the discount on everything in the store was great. Managers were very good about making sure everyone got their breaks on time, and worked with anyone who wanted to learn new skills.

Cons

Pay somewhat low, but too unexpected for a CSR postion. Black Friday is a nightmare.

What can you expect from retail

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Cockeysville, MD
    Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Cockeysville, MD

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Entry level and accepts no experience. Decent employee discount. Somewhat creative environment.

Cons

Very poor training structure and little to no positive reinforcement or respect from superiors. Thus, there was also a high turnover rate.

Provide more organized training and motivation for employees, especially when moved to manager level. Value employees who work hard.

It depends

Former Employee - Store Team Leader
    Former Employee - Store Team Leader

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I only worked for the company for a short time. The company knows how to drive sales. Compensation can be very good depending on the volume of the store, and the bonuses seem good. Fair benefits package. Work/life balance fair but it depends who you ask.

Cons

A lot of the employees just don't seem to want to be there. Seems to audit driven. Some of the stores look so old,some don't. The cutting of fabric really it just seems there can be a faster way to do it. After 10 am you can't get nothing done. To many skus making the stores hard to recover. Oh and it takes get this 2 months to find a manager.

You know what this seems like a good over all company but you walk in to some stores and your employees don't seem happy. Be dedicated to your employees and they will be dedicated to you. Don't leave your stores without a manager for 2 months really. Relax on the audit and make the way you cut fabric easier. And really the way some of upper management talks to people.

Good Company

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong leadership at store and district, creative environment, repeat & loyal customers, excellent product mix at reasonable prices. Employee discount is ok. Management listens to your concerns and is supportive. You will always be busy during your shift. Those who take initiative are recognized.

Cons

Salaries could be better for the responsibility expected; sometimes very stressful work. Have recommended the company to friends but salary is too low; missed some great talent as a result.

Keep focused on motivating your stores and teams. We work hard to grow your business.

No training

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Hudson, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Hudson, OH

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Have lots of hours during holiday season

Cons

There is little to no training. They throw you on the phones and expect you to handle the customers. Having two managers to report to that would give you different answers was hard to figure out which one was right.

11. Great

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

Employee discounts,fun,hired on the spot,training is great

Cons

No hours,no promotions,no stability and no raises

Jo-Ann Stores Photos

View from the parking lot of a Jo-Ann Store located in Henderson, NV (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.64)

+ Add Photo