JoS. A. Bank

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
2.4

Doug Ewert

Pros
  • The sole benefit of working for this company is the employee discount (in 11 reviews)

• Working with great people mkes the job quite bearable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job' (in 33 reviews)

• No work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

When I worked for Jos. A Banks they were located on Market Pl. downtown Baltimore, I was in the packing Department

Former Employee - Packers in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Packers in Baltimore, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed it because we were truly a team

Cons

I leaned how to work in a fast pace setting

They moved before I could experience that, but would truly like to work for them again

Currently Part time

Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beats staying home, but not by much.

Cons

Having worked for the company full and part time for a long time, I have known there WAS no better mens' clothing outfit to represent. We looked forward to coming to the store almost every day because the management appreciated your efforts. Sadly, that is not the case now.

Pne calls ? That's a joke. Does upper management really think those daily reported calls are actually made ? If you are busy doing stock, code 5s, cleaning the store, taking care of customers, etc. they need to get a life. Opening at 8AM and closing at 10 or 11PM ? Get real.

Satisfied but lacking true management backbone

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager/Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager/Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Sales driving business. Locations all over. Great sales staff. Great clothing at a reasonable price. Set your own salary.

Cons

Customers confused by value in sales. Management claims to care about their employees, but?. Not enough feedback from employees on issues related to the business.

Stop giving the store away to do business

Unbelievable working hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

We don't have to sleep at the store when it closes at night, we are able to go home.

Cons

Is it possible that customers will shop the weekend before Xmas when the store is open until midnight
    on Friday,Saturday and Sunday ? Does management think that that schedule will bring in ANY business ?

Come in to the stores, just stick around to see how many people actually enter to buy. Maybe if they spend time in the stores they will appreciate how stupid the idea was.

Treated like servants by some of the customer, and treated like lairs and thieves by upper management

Current Employee - Third Key in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Third Key in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Some of the customers are wonderful. They show their appreciation when you help them bring an outfit together. If your young and working your way into the corporate work force, Jos A Bank is a great starter job. You learn to match the right garments together. The right suit, shirt and tie to wear on an interview. If your lucky, one of the more seasoned salesmen will help you along the way.

Cons

The amount of responsibilities that are expected for what your paid. Your given a sales goal that is way beyond any reasonable means even on a busy day. when sales are slow you have to make phone call. I was handed a pack of phone numbers and told I needed to make 350 calls that day because the store needed to have over 3000 by the end of the week.
    Jos A Bank does not believe in recycling paper but they recycle their seasonal merchandise. Every year we get the same stuff back from the warehouse. some of it is so old it is dry rot, faded and stretched out. before it can even go on the sales floor some of the merchandise has to go the the MOS box. It is very embarrassing when a customer returns a "brand new" sweater because there is a big faded spot across the front.
    Being threaded to be fired if you don't get Corp. accounts, corp cards, and traveler crease. If the customer says not, what else can we do.

Don't treat your associates like second rate citizens. They work very hard making little money for this company. Hire an analyst that can come up with a better pay / commission plan.

Once upon a time, excellent, however , current upper management cares less about their employees than ever.

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Coworkers are for the most part pleasant to work alongside, store management also good.
    Long term relatioships with some customers make life interesting and fun.

Cons

Hours sometimes (early morning to late at night on certain sales ) are tough. Saturday morning meetings, when no customers available to sell, count against your draw, so it doesn't cost the company anything , and you work " for nothing ". Holidays are another issue, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor day, we are required to stay open late, which indicates upper managements feelings for their " valued " associates. G-d forbid they should lose a dollar in sales, rather than allow the associates any family time.

Someone is making all these poor decisions, and it just isn't right. This is a great company, with a great history, good merchandise, and most of the time fun to work for. They just need to be a bit more attuned to the sales staff.

No Frills but Secure

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Job Security
    High levels of responsibility
    Career advancement opportunities

Cons

Low empolyee morale
    Focus on bottom line
    No employee perks

Learn to better motivate your staffs. The morale is very low and expectations very high.