JoS. A. Bank

JoS. A. Bank Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black

R. Neal Black

Pros:
  • "Excellent discount, great customer's, and good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Worked with a lot of great people at Store Level"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management "acts" like they care (I was a store manager) but it's all "lip service""
    in 30 reviews
  • "I was led to believe I would get 5% commission on top of the minimum wage"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working mule with poverty pay

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Gainesville, VA

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time for less than a year

ProsNone. ZERO!! NIL. NADDA. ZIPPY!!

ConsCommission is JUNK and u will not get a raise. Poverty living.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your top sellers and increase the darn commission rate you idiots!

Rapes employees, has no loyalty but expects blind obedience

Chicago, IL

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than a year

Prosnetworking to find a better job

Conspay is crap, bonuses are insulting, expectations are unrealistic

Corporate worker.

Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Prosshort commute, co-workers are enjoyable.

ConsPoor management, no training and development of employees, poor moral, sexist environment, management treats employees like slaves, no work-life balance, management does not value or respect employees.

Advice to Senior Managementupper and middle management needs training. Hold people accountable for poor performance at corporate.

Job threatened daily. , Stone Age Field Leadership style from Senior executives

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat product, great quality, coworkers are very hardworking and dedicated employees. Lots of loyal customers who have been shopping at stores for years

ConsJob is threatened daily, if results are not a achieved. The field leadership team is powerless to make any decision, unless it is approved by Senior Leader. Any feedback given will put you in the hot seat.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts a thing Menswarehouse is buying the company, or else no one would be left working in the stores

Waste of time.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time for more than a year

ProsI guess if you wanted suits you could get them at a decent price but the employee discount in only slightly better then that of the customer.

ConsTerrible level of people who work for this company. Store manager had a nervous breakdown and quit on the eve of a holiday. The Assistant managers are clueless and not helpful. They claim to measure your performance but my store is in such disarray that no one has been reviewed in 6 months. The pay is laughable as is the commission. That includes management, corporate demands alot and promises the world and rarely delivers unless there is an merger in the works like currently. You can make more money doing something else then wasting your life here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHurry up and merge with Men's Warehouse, so they can lay off most of your management team and close redundant stores because there is no saving this place.

Useful for the introduction into menswear, but really an awful way to spend one's life

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Westlake, OH

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. If you are wiling to learn, you will come out with useful knowledge on men's clothing, and other useful insights on how businesses ran themselves in the 90's.

2. There are a variety of Commission opportunities.

3. There is a lot that is left for the store managers to figure out themselves, and are generally left alone.

Cons1. They still use fax machines.

2. While there are a variety of Commission benefits, the relative percentage is small and insignificant (3-5%) and is only made after your hourly is made up. There are 3-4 cases that I heard of in my time there of employees rigging the system so that they would get more Commission, and in a couple of cases were arrested.

3. There are constant changing of sales and fidgeting of numbers enough to drive one crazy.

4. Customers, while some very kind and interesting, are largely needy and entitled, even if they haven't spent any money with your person. If they have spent money, it is possible that they will give you a predicament by getting red in the face and threatening to call your superiors (which they hold as a real threat). The companies policies foster this kind of behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange yourself.

Great experience in selling in a high volume environment. I was President Club member and top 20 in company.

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat product. It has some of the best wool on the market. You just feel good when you put on a Jos.A. Bank suit. I have always been aware of branding but Jos.A.Bank has the most foresight in marketing product I will ever seen. It by far the best.

ConsYou need to have your training in sales and management before you walk in the door. with the rapid growth of sold goods the tailor shop is taxed way past its payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop getting rid of your best producers for silly reasons. Let your sales people sell during the high volume months and stop filling the floor with people the do not have a clue about the p.o.s policy at Jos.A. Banks.

frustrating

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for less than a year

ProsGood product, clean store,

ConsNo local advertising support, slow human resources dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the local managers some resource for local advertising, especially new stores.

Too much.

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

ProsPay was decent. The customers were so much fun to deal with and some of the employees as well.Not as many pros as cons.

ConsWay too many incentives to meet and not enough positive reimbursement. The company sends out terrible sales and doesn't support it's employees at all.

it's a job

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time for more than a year

Prosclothing discount is generous if you don't mind wearing poor quality clothing, there are no other pros to working for this company

Consthey make selling very difficult, treat associates poorly, pay sucks, did I say associates are treated poorly, we are put down on a daily basis....

Advice to Senior Managementlower price points and reduce the number of sales

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!

JoS. A. Bank – Why Work for Us?

As one of the nation’s premier clothiers, our reputation for beautifully made, classically styled, tailored and casual clothing has earned us the trust and confidence of generations of customers. Our team members are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JoS. A. Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for JoS. A. Bank CEO R. Neal Black. All 285 reviews posted anonymously by JoS. A. Bank employees.