JoS. A. Bank

JoS. A. Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black

R. Neal Black

Pros:
  • "Great product and excellent associate discounts"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Excellent discount, great customer's, and good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job'"
    in 31 reviews
  • "No work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great starting store manager job

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood job for someone with an entrepreneurial sprit. Great product and good support staff. The regional support is great and they understand what the stores need.

ConsNo work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you ask your team what you can do better or what the stores need, actually listen instead of berating and belittling individuals for having other ideas that may be contrary to your own.

Great work experience!

Seasonal Help (Former Employee)
    Simsbury, CT

ProsManagement and coworkers were all very friendly. Flexible work hours. Not a strenuous job. Good pay.

ConsThey work you crazy hours during the holiday season.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more considerate for employees during the holidays - theres no need for the store to open at 5 or 6 in the morning - no one ever comes in at that time.

Department Manager

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Auburn, AL

ProsYou meet a lot of very nice and interesting people. If you love looking good and are into fashion, this is a good place to be.

ConsIt is retail so there will be some long hours and your holidays maybe cut into.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee degradation

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe only pros are decent benefits and a weekly paycheck

ConsTraining, minimal to none for sales associates, unfair commission structure, obscene hours for managers, even outside holiday seasons, management indifference to store problems, especially staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore managers need better paid assistant managers.
    Commission structure patently unfair, needs major revision.

Challenging and rewarding work experience

ProsThe fast pace at which the company reacts and evolves with respect to market events. Also the way the entire corporate team comes together to support the store operations.

ConsRetail is a 7-day a week commitment by the store associates and operations. Keeping pace with this is a hard thing to do for people who are used to regular hours and weekends off.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that you are asking the company associates to go beyond the call, and compensate or otherwise reward them accordingly.

Amazing Job for college students!

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Auburn, AL

ProsKey customer service skills as a result of the company's culture.
    Daily exposure to different personalities and knowing how to work with each.
    Very beneficial towards education on professional dress.
    For a college student, it is a great supplement towards getting the right attire for interviews, whether business professional or business casual.

ConsPossible encounter of difficult customers.

Men's Wearhouse should be concerned that they overpaid.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsThe check hasn't bounced . . . yet!

ConsInternal operations are chaotic and highly ineffectual. Inventory is consistently unavailable in the warehouse and requires extensive time calling multiple stores (if you can get through to customer service to find out which stores still have an item or size) to locate. Popular items or sizes are NOT replenished in stores in a timely fashion.

Very little to no support from mid-level management.

Training is minimal. Tailors receive absolutely NO continuing education and consistently have problems correctly tailoring the more modern cut suits, resulting in high levels of unhappy clients who return their purchases.

IT is a hamstrung by inadequate staff and too little too late in keeping pace with other retailers' capabilities.

Marketing is confusing to customers and has cheapened the brand almost beyond repair. One price online. Another price advertised on TV. Even Saturday Night Live has this company's shell game figured out!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet Men's Wearhouse replace your C-level, especially your COO and your entire marketing department IMMEDIATELY!

Avoid at All Cost!

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsCommission on good weeks.
    No other pros.

Cons- Manager's put themselves first
    - Not flexible at all!
    - Terrible commission structure
    - Employee discounts is terrible
    - No holidays
    - Compensation is low
    - Forced to clean up managers messes so they can continue to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease redo the entire company structure. Your managers need to be replaced, new computers, less inventory in stores, redo the commission structure and the employee discount.

Good for students

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsExcellent environment, co-workers became friends, good learning experience. Some funny moments with customers or co-workers I still remember!!!! Store manager was easy going.

ConsPay, commission goals unrealistic, return policy

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as professionals and they will do much more for the company

2 years as store manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with some great leaders and peers, autonomy to build a great team. Great product and excellent associate discounts

Conscommission was main focus yet company kept under cutting instore sales with "internet specials".
    Given goals to capture customers emails so they could get the internet specials and hurt our instore business and then cajoled and called out when email capture rate wasnt to standard?????
    Constant change up of regional level managers with "different" priorities..until more and more micro-managed...(3 in 2 years)
    Unrealistic advertising strategies..seemed off the cuff at times, reactionary, and not well thought out.
    A sale every weekend (seemed like) with the same call lists (client lists) to call sent from corporate for sales that were ever changing weekly...made it difficult to call your best customers when next weeks sale was better..company used to give advance notice but stopped that and kept it at the Regional level.
    Family time was a big no-no, never allowed to have a weekend off unless you jumped through hoops to get it (was explained that since Saturday was a sale day all store managers needed to be in their stores...EVERY Saturday was a sale day through the entire year)
    Most associates in medium to smaller stores worked for barely above minimum wage..and while commission was the selling point with internet and weak advertising strategies very hard to have more than 1-2 of 6 associates actually make their draw..

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my time with Jos A Bank I have seen some really good managers and Regional Managers get pushed around and demoted or terminated by upper level management who had the attitude "I would rather fail with someone new than the same person"..what a horrible attitude... the only advice I have is the Mens Warehouse merger cant happen quick enough to (hopefully )

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!

JoS. A. Bank – Why Work for Us?

As one of the nation’s premier clothiers, our reputation for beautifully made, classically styled, tailored and casual clothing has earned us the trust and confidence of generations of customers. Our team members are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JoS. A. Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for JoS. A. Bank CEO R. Neal Black. All 329 reviews posted anonymously by JoS. A. Bank employees.