JoS. A. Bank Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.9
Doug Ewert

Pros
  • I guess if you wanted suits you could get them at a decent price but the employee discount in only slightly better then that of the customer (in 11 reviews)

• Worked with a lot of great people at Store Level (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Mid to upper management have different values than the rest of the business world (in 33 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance does not exist (in 13 reviews)

It got worse

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time

Pros

The team I work with. Most of the customers. The manager. Having a good product.

Cons

Ever since MW took over, our workload has increased twofold, and we're not being paid any better for it. The way their sales numbers measure things is drastically different, so good sales people are being told they're not now. I do not understand why they gave us the exact same tuxedo product as they have, and then expect us to have numbers like they do with it. Overall, I just feel like they bought us to keep us separate entities, and now why even bother having a distinction between the two brands? Ever since they cut hours, it seems like they're trying to make people quit so they can put in their own.

Advice to Management

Let us do our thing. Hire a tuxedo person. We don't care about tuxedos. If you keep adding things to the things we already have to do without compensating for us, but expect us to keep the same sales numbers, one of those things isn't getting done. Stop cutting hours, and then expecting us to produce more.

2. Store Manger

Former Employee - General Manager in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - General Manager in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clothing discounts , team camaraderie

Cons

Men's Wearhouse merger , hours and shifts were micro managed even at a GM level , cold

Advice to Management

Institute work life balance and allow holidays , vacations and personal NOT to be frowned upon .

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good co workers. Glad MW took over however they laid entire depts off in layers. They weren't that honest with us and there is more to come!! The remainders jobs at JAB corp are not safe even thigh MW says they are ... Right.

Cons

Prior management was horrendous...s sat on a bunch of money not reinvesting into the company and that was the beginning of the demise. Remember the love of money is the root of all evil. The last senior execs were def evil. Thanks for taking the ship down.

Advice to Management

New MW management... Good luck and treat those employees well. They have been abused for years.

Good co-workers, bad management and ugly pay.

Current Employee - Administrator in Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Administrator in Hampstead, MD

Pros

Being with a group of fun, laid back people makes this job barely tolerable.

Cons

The biggest downside is the pay -- it's about 45% below the national average for the same position at another company -- unless of course, you're upper-upper management. (i.e. the Senior positions and the Executives) Senior management tends to be incompetent for the most part. Most of the management staff is unwilling to accept responsibility for their decisions and/or failures. Communication is a word that does not exist in this company. Whether it’s a pride thing or just a lack of brains -- management doesn't like to share updates with their employees, about ANYTHING. This includes deadline related and time sensitive changes. Most marketing decisions are made last minute, after all outsourcing companies have completed management's previous requests. Unfortunately, that's when their finger pointing begins. Because, you know, management is never to blame for their own mistakes. The sales are absolutely ridiculous, almost as bad as their pathetic excuse for commercials and branding. This company houses too many old school veterans who refuse to step out of their corrupted marketing ways, in order to create more modern and fun ideas. It's just a bunch of stubborn old men who want to continue making their fat wallets, even fatter. Each year Senior Management makes sure to keep doubling their salary, while refusing to offer a simple "cost of living" raise to their dedicated employees. If you're looking for a promotion -- you might get the job you're interested in, but eventually you will be required to take on many of your supervisors’ daily tasks. This makes it difficult (if not impossible) to complete your own tasks, which in turn requires you to work a lot of overtime as a salary employee. And the list goes on and on... Let's just say, I wouldn't even recommend this company to my arch nemesis.

Advice to Management

Hopefully with the Men's Warehouse buyout -- things will start looking up for the 60+ people that will be left at the Corporate headquarters.

Great people, OK experience, pay could be better

Current Employee - Assistant Planner in Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Planner in Hampstead, MD

Pros

The people are the best thing about working at Jos. A. Bank. They are, for the most part, very talented and willing to help. I have learned a lot in the year I have been there. It is a good first job to have because you do get ample experience analyzing data, making recommendations about the business, and working with other departments. The location in Hampstead is very convenient too.

Cons

The pay is probably the biggest downside. There were times that I was working as an hourly wage Trainee that my paycheck was for a greater amount than when I became a salaried Assistant Planner. The systems were probably great when they were first rolled out 25 years ago but they just don't hold up in the 21st Century. Work life balance isn't the greatest either. You're pretty much expected to work a 50 hour week once you become salaried. Most corporate employees are losing their jobs by the end of May due to the Men's Wearhouse merger.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your people, give quarterly raises and provide for more work-life balance. Upgrade the systems as well because a lot more work could be completed if we had better systems.

Incompetence abounds.

Former Employee - Assistant Planner in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Planner in Hampstead, MD

Pros

Co workers were (mostly) great. There was plenty to learn, but that usually stemmed from understaffing or management being clueless when it came to what they needed for a project. The job did get me some experience for later careers.

Cons

Senior management was toxic and incompetent. Antiquated systems made it difficult to complete tasks on time or accurately. Most management has a "pass the blame" attitude and is unwilling to accept responsibility for their decisions and failures. They will blame subordinates for their mistakes and most have absolutely no leadership training. There is no career growth potential on the corporate side. Pay is about 40% below the national average for the same position at any other company. The Men's Wearhouse buyout ended up being "meet the new boss, same as the old". With the way this company has been going the last year under the MW management, I'd be surprised if there is a Jos. A Bank company in 5 years.

Advice to Management

Fire the consultants you've been using to make cuts and decusions. You're going in the wrong direction. Take a long hard look at what you've done the last 6 months and ask if you're really setting the company up for success or just trying to make a bank run.

8. Good people, bad upper management & pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with are amazing. Most are extremely talented but are not given the opportunity to utilize most of their skills.

Cons

Upper management is rigid and inflexible. Their thinking is short sighted and they do not wish to change a thing from what they've done for the past 10+ years. Pay is absolutely horrible.

Advice to Management

Open up to new ideas! Pay people what they're worth and consider letting them use skills & concepts that are out of the box. Men's Wearhouse is helping to change this very slowly... hopefully they will speed up the process of overhauling the old way of thinking that is present in all current upper management.

Great company going through lots of positive change!!

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Hampstead, MD

Pros

My coworkers and most of the people within the organization are great to work with! Advancement opportunity and opportunity to learn so much.

Cons

Communication is not always the best, something the whole company needs to work on.

Good gone to bad

Former Employee - Clerical in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - Clerical in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good while it lasted...but many are losing their jobs

Cons

MW purchases them and were to keep the "beat of the best". Didn't happen

Advice to Management

Look beyond you current staff.

11. Work life balance is more work

Former Employee - IT Professional in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working could be very rewarding in the business appreciated your effort. Many intelligent executives worked there. Participated in making improvements as company grew.

Cons

There were some business units which did not get what they needed and had manual processes. This is true in many retailers though. It felt bad to not be able to fix everything

Advice to Management

Don't sell!

RSS Feed </> Embed