JoS. A. Bank

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black

R. Neal Black

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Jos. A. Bank work environment

Accounting Management (Current Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsAccounting and Finance departments have very talented employees who are very productive.

ConsUnderstaffed for the volume of work

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed work-life balance policies, training and career development opportunities

Distribution center on par with sweat shop

Warehouse Worker (Former Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsI liked my supervisor and most of my co-workers were generally congenial and pleasant to work with. Facility was close to home, country-like setting, pleasant commute, relaxed dress code, good overtime pay, union medical insurance was very affordable.

ConsInconsistent training, union would not stand up for its members (totally in bed with management), restrictive environment, favoritism by supervisors, low pay for hard work, no pay increase for more work, mandatory weekends & sometimes 7 day work weeks during peak times. Union employees get no sick leave, no retirement plan, and the attendance policy is unreasonable. You'd better pray you never get sick, your spouse, kids, parents or pets never get sick, and your car never breaks down or needs to go into the shop. They will still count the absences against you and won't even accept doctor's notes. If you accumulate a certain number of absences, you will be summarily fired. This is appalling! The current policy penalizes good employees while the employees who forge doctor's notes and abuse FMLA continue their evil-doing without consequence. The place is so poorly managed, one might wonder how the company has survived. Management counts on the fact that people need jobs (esp. people who have trouble finding employment elsewhere), so they can get away with treating employees so poorly. Don't like it? Then get out. There will always be another warm body willing to jump on the treadmill. Advancement opportunities? Unless you're a man who's buddies with his supervisor, better forget about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might want to start with running background checks on your supervisors and get rid of the felons. And for goodness sake, provide some management skill training. Many of them have no supervisory experience whatsoever, and seem to be unfamiliar with HR policy and laws. I've witnessed bullying tactics, foul language and racist comments. This kind of behavior by supervisors presents a liability for the company and makes for a negative work environment. Other advice: get rid of the union and include all employees under the same umbrella - the union creates an "us and them" mentality. Start drug testing and background checks for all distribution center employees and increase the pay scales. Better quality employees = better quality workplace, more efficient management, less turnover and absenteeism, less waste, less shrink, more profits.

Depends on who you work with..I really lucked out!

Hampstead, MD

ProsRelaxed and laid back. You need to mange your time well and everything else fall in place by itself

ConsThey should not have married Mens Wearhouse. It'a a buzz kill for corporate employee and now we have to look opportunities outside of JAB.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart spreading the wealth and treat people fair and square. I understand the management needs to think about the shareholders' but what about the employees. Will have to wait and watch what Mens wearhouse transaction has in store for JAB employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Men's Wearhouse should be concerned that they overpaid.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsThe check hasn't bounced . . . yet!

ConsInternal operations are chaotic and highly ineffectual. Inventory is consistently unavailable in the warehouse and requires extensive time calling multiple stores (if you can get through to customer service to find out which stores still have an item or size) to locate. Popular items or sizes are NOT replenished in stores in a timely fashion.

Very little to no support from mid-level management.

Training is minimal. Tailors receive absolutely NO continuing education and consistently have problems correctly tailoring the more modern cut suits, resulting in high levels of unhappy clients who return their purchases.

IT is a hamstrung by inadequate staff and too little too late in keeping pace with other retailers' capabilities.

Marketing is confusing to customers and has cheapened the brand almost beyond repair. One price online. Another price advertised on TV. Even Saturday Night Live has this company's shell game figured out!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet Men's Wearhouse replace your C-level, especially your COO and your entire marketing department IMMEDIATELY!

Old school company with no respect for it's employees

Hampstead, MD

ProsIt is a job when I could not find one elsewhere.

ConsThis company is a complete mess from the top all the way to the bottom. They are all about profits, yet when they reap them in quarter after quarter and year after year, they do not share it with it's employees. That is unless you are a VP who already makes millions. Regular employees have not received raises in 3 years.
    There is no room for advancement. Do not take a job here unless you have no other options.

From the Corporate employee standpoint, it does not value employees. Have not gotten salary increases in 3+ years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsGreat co-workers and corp. headquarters convenient. They hire many locals (HQ in a rural area) which helps local economy.

ConsNo rewards for the hard work everyone puts in. Fat cats just getting fatter. Their attitude is that you are lucky you have a job. Excuse is that "in this economy..." but they are sitting on LOADS of cash, hence they are able to buy Eddie Bauer with $525+ cash. Marketing strategies are ridiculous and archaic. Marketing people are NOT from Marketing backgrounds which is so obvious... their ads are equal to Tire commercials. They need new, younger, hipper blood in their executive roles with new ways of thinking to actually turn this company around.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth.

Joseph A Bank is a gem.

Regional Vice President (Current Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsCandidates are eager to work for a vibrant company with stores across the country and a catalog/internet division that can reach anyone with a phone or a computer.

ConsThe typical new hire takes about a year to realize that the chance of making a commission comes maybe twice a year if that. Unfortunately, it used to take them at little longer to figure this out, so we had hard- working hopefuls for at least two years before they became jaded.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing catalog/internet sales since we don't have to pay commissions on those transactions. It is brilliant to make stores take internet returns that cut into their bottom line. The more internet returns in the stores, the less chance of that store making any kind of bonus for the year. Keep up the good work!

Very Discouraged!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsSadly, there are not a whole lot of pros that I can think of. At Corporate, if you are not in management, then the dress code is pretty lenient. That is about the best thing this company has going for it.

ConsI was with this company for a little over a year and felt as though I had worked extremely hard for this company during that time. However, I did not received any sort of pay increase. I was told when I was hired by HR that they will typically give a raise after your 60 day probation period is up. However, I was told later, once I received my review (which was very good), that they do not do that and that everyone in corporate receives their raises at the same time in April (if the company decides to give raises that year). Of course, this did not happen either once April came around. Also, there was no holiday bonus and the holiday party was a joke in my opinion. Most of the corporate staff is snooty & very cliquey (made me feel like I was back in high school again).

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would pay your employees more then they would care a little more about the quality of their work. Then, maybe you wouldn't be losing sales so badly.

Extremely frustrating with no reward

Assistant Merchandise Manager (Current Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsA decent amount of recent college graduates are employed. Since corporate is located so far away from the city, there is very minimal traffic.

ConsNo guidance from Senior Management. Impromptu meetings are frequently called, lasting anywhere from 3 to 7 hours. Marketing/design/merchandising changes are constantly happening at the 13th hour, allowing for mistakes and an inefficient use of company money and employee time. Raises and bonuses are a rarity. Women are not treated as equals - whether through promotions or the employee discount which at times cannot be used on family members. HR doesn't seem to care about the high turnover rate or low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwn your mistakes. Senior Management makes the Marketing decisions, yet when the sales don't work, it's the merchant's fault.

Management Trainee Position Lacked the Training Portion

Management Trainee -- Planning (Former Employee)
    Hampstead, MD

ProsI learned a little bit about Microsoft Excel. Free sodas in the corporate offices. The offices support Purple Fridays so you can wear jeans on those days.

ConsManagement is almost aggressively unfunny. When I was there, there were 14 people in my department and only 4 had been there more than one year -- employee retention is terrible because the work is menial. During the interviews they promise that the first 6 months of the training would be data entry and then you could move on to better things, but even my manager (who had been there for 6 years) was still primarily doing data entry type work.

It was a trainee position and I sat with my manager for about 2 days before I was told to just do it on my own.

Terrible culture -- never felt welcomed one single day

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think advice from me will make anything better. You can do a simple google search of Jos. A. Bank business prospects to see they're going downhill fast.

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!

JoS. A. Bank – Why Work for Us?

As one of the nation’s premier clothiers, our reputation for beautifully made, classically styled, tailored and casual clothing has earned us the trust and confidence of generations of customers. Our team members are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JoS. A. Bank reviews and ratings in Hampstead, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for JoS. A. Bank CEO R. Neal Black. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by JoS. A. Bank employees.