JoS. A. Bank Reviews in Hampstead, MD

Updated October 23, 2014
2.2

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black
R. Neal Black

Pros
  • They have just recently improved the employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• Working with great people mkes the job quite bearable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job' (in 33 reviews)

• No work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Jos. A. Bank work environment

Current Employee - Accounting Management in Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Accounting Management in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Accounting and Finance departments have very talented employees who are very productive.

Cons

Understaffed for the volume of work

Need work-life balance policies, training and career development opportunities

Overall poor experience, couldn't wait to get out.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative In Call Center in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overtime... espeically during the holidays. Distant possibility of moving up.

Cons

work-life balance, understaffed, turnover rate, poor company culture, no training; communication between corporate, stores, and call center. Floating schedule (had to be available 7 days a week between 7 AM and 7 PM) and schedule wasn't made until Friday before the work week started.

Invest in your talent. Don't fire people the FIRST TIME their phone vibrates.

Distribution center on par with sweat shop

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked my supervisor and most of my co-workers were generally congenial and pleasant to work with. Facility was close to home, country-like setting, pleasant commute, relaxed dress code, good overtime pay, union medical insurance was very affordable.

Cons

Inconsistent training, union would not stand up for its members (totally in bed with management), restrictive environment, favoritism by supervisors, low pay for hard work, no pay increase for more work, mandatory weekends & sometimes 7 day work weeks during peak times. Union employees get no sick leave, no retirement plan, and the attendance policy is unreasonable. You'd better pray you never get sick, your spouse, kids, parents or pets never get sick, and your car never breaks down or needs to go into the shop. They will still count the absences against you and won't even accept doctor's notes. If you accumulate a certain number of absences, you will be summarily fired. This is appalling! The current policy penalizes good employees while the employees who forge doctor's notes and abuse FMLA continue their evil-doing without consequence. The place is so poorly managed, one might wonder how the company has survived. Management counts on the fact that people need jobs (esp. people who have trouble finding employment elsewhere), so they can get away with treating employees so poorly. Don't like it? Then get out. There will always be another warm body willing to jump on the treadmill. Advancement opportunities? Unless you're a man who's buddies with his supervisor, better forget about it.

You might want to start with running background checks on your supervisors and get rid of the felons. And for goodness sake, provide some management skill training. Many of them have no supervisory experience whatsoever, and seem to be unfamiliar with HR policy and laws. I've witnessed bullying tactics, foul language and racist comments. This kind of behavior by supervisors presents a liability for the company and makes for a negative work environment. Other advice: get rid of the union and include all employees under the same umbrella - the union creates an "us and them" mentality. Start drug testing and background checks for all distribution center employees and increase the pay scales. Better quality employees = better quality workplace, more efficient management, less turnover and absenteeism, less waste, less shrink, more profits.

Awful Executive Management

Current Employee - Middle Management in Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

coworkers great people. very talented staff in certain depts.

Cons

culture is bad - bully mentality. little or no training. employees are not valued.

take some training in management skills

Depends on who you work with..I really lucked out!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed and laid back. You need to mange your time well and everything else fall in place by itself

Cons

They should not have married Mens Wearhouse. It'a a buzz kill for corporate employee and now we have to look opportunities outside of JAB.

Start spreading the wealth and treat people fair and square. I understand the management needs to think about the shareholders' but what about the employees. Will have to wait and watch what Mens wearhouse transaction has in store for JAB employees.

Men's Wearhouse should be concerned that they overpaid.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank (more than 3 years)

Pros

The check hasn't bounced . . . yet!

Cons

Internal operations are chaotic and highly ineffectual. Inventory is consistently unavailable in the warehouse and requires extensive time calling multiple stores (if you can get through to customer service to find out which stores still have an item or size) to locate. Popular items or sizes are NOT replenished in stores in a timely fashion.

Very little to no support from mid-level management.

Training is minimal. Tailors receive absolutely NO continuing education and consistently have problems correctly tailoring the more modern cut suits, resulting in high levels of unhappy clients who return their purchases.

IT is a hamstrung by inadequate staff and too little too late in keeping pace with other retailers' capabilities.

Marketing is confusing to customers and has cheapened the brand almost beyond repair. One price online. Another price advertised on TV. Even Saturday Night Live has this company's shell game figured out!

Let Men's Wearhouse replace your C-level, especially your COO and your entire marketing department IMMEDIATELY!

Old school company with no respect for it's employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a job when I could not find one elsewhere.

Cons

This company is a complete mess from the top all the way to the bottom. They are all about profits, yet when they reap them in quarter after quarter and year after year, they do not share it with it's employees. That is unless you are a VP who already makes millions. Regular employees have not received raises in 3 years.
    There is no room for advancement. Do not take a job here unless you have no other options.

Joseph A Bank is a gem.

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Candidates are eager to work for a vibrant company with stores across the country and a catalog/internet division that can reach anyone with a phone or a computer.

Cons

The typical new hire takes about a year to realize that the chance of making a commission comes maybe twice a year if that. Unfortunately, it used to take them at little longer to figure this out, so we had hard- working hopefuls for at least two years before they became jaded.

Keep pushing catalog/internet sales since we don't have to pay commissions on those transactions. It is brilliant to make stores take internet returns that cut into their bottom line. The more internet returns in the stores, the less chance of that store making any kind of bonus for the year. Keep up the good work!

From the Corporate employee standpoint, it does not value employees. Have not gotten salary increases in 3+ years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and corp. headquarters convenient. They hire many locals (HQ in a rural area) which helps local economy.

Cons

No rewards for the hard work everyone puts in. Fat cats just getting fatter. Their attitude is that you are lucky you have a job. Excuse is that "in this economy..." but they are sitting on LOADS of cash, hence they are able to buy Eddie Bauer with $525+ cash. Marketing strategies are ridiculous and archaic. Marketing people are NOT from Marketing backgrounds which is so obvious... their ads are equal to Tire commercials. They need new, younger, hipper blood in their executive roles with new ways of thinking to actually turn this company around.

Share the wealth.

Very Discouraged!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sadly, there are not a whole lot of pros that I can think of. At Corporate, if you are not in management, then the dress code is pretty lenient. That is about the best thing this company has going for it.

Cons

I was with this company for a little over a year and felt as though I had worked extremely hard for this company during that time. However, I did not received any sort of pay increase. I was told when I was hired by HR that they will typically give a raise after your 60 day probation period is up. However, I was told later, once I received my review (which was very good), that they do not do that and that everyone in corporate receives their raises at the same time in April (if the company decides to give raises that year). Of course, this did not happen either once April came around. Also, there was no holiday bonus and the holiday party was a joke in my opinion. Most of the corporate staff is snooty & very cliquey (made me feel like I was back in high school again).

If you would pay your employees more then they would care a little more about the quality of their work. Then, maybe you wouldn't be losing sales so badly.