JoS. A. Bank Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
2.2

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black
R. Neal Black

Pros
  • They have just recently improved the employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• Working with great people mkes the job quite bearable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job' (in 33 reviews)

• No work-life balance, training systems are old/nonexistent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

NIce job while I was taking a break from school

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glenview, IL

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and pleasant environment

Cons

Bad Management, there was a lack of interest for sales associates. With change of Management, experience could have been better

None

Fine, but could have been better

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay with the work you do, nice customers

Cons

Managment- unbelievably uwful! Should hire right people for managers, they are there!!

Resign

Alot of work and very little pay!

Former Employee - Key Holder in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The manager and associates are super nice and easy to get along with. Very accepting group of people "if" they like you. The hiring process was easy.

Cons

God, where do I start?! The pay is the biggest con. The hourly pay rate is so low it's shocking. You train for 3 weeks with a dollar more per hour but no commission. For the first 3 weeks I literally gave away thousands of dollars worth of sales to coworkers. This in itself is very discouraging. Especially when you help someone from start to finish and you have to hand over the sale to someone else when done. This is definitely not the job to take if you are single and doing everything on your own. The register/computers are so slow and outdated, like most else in the company. There's no email addresses for employees so phone calls are the only way to follow up with customers. Thirty minute lunch breaks with no real break room. You barely have time to go get something and eat before you have to be back to work. Packing lunch sucks because you have to either eat at the managers desk, stand or eat at the tailoring station.

Pay your employees more. Believe it or not, people might stay if the didn't feel underpaid and unappreciated. Key holders are management too. Pay them what they are worth.

Buy 1 suit, and get 3 suits, 2 shirts, a Lamborghini, a house, your college tuition FOR FREE!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Towson, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Only part I loved about this job was the coworkers. They usually feel the same as you, which means you just are able to work together, joke about the job, and have fun at the end of the day.
    -The discount was good too, except most times the customer can come in and get a better deal than the employee discount on some items. 2+ Promos every week, literally.

Cons

I could write a book about the "challenges" here, but I'll keep it simple...
    -The sales draw is a joke. At least for a company like this, where you can only break it during the holiday season... Unless you work at a flagship store where it is possible to break it some times outside the busy season, which I did, then I feel sorry for you.
    -Hmm, I don't have a family to really take care of so I can't even imagine...but still, no work/life balance. Don't expect to be off on Saturdays or Holidays. This place actually makes you come in on Thanksgiving. Who shops for suits on Thanksgiving? I thought so. Also, if you're full time, expect to work 50+ hours a week during busy time without notice.
    -Sales promos...In the words of Mike Ditka before Monday night football games.. "STOP IT!!!"
    -Big wigs... I barely met any, nor did I care to. But at least show appreciation for your sales associates and managers. There's no incentive for people to go out their way for this company. Employees have zero morale due to the way they are treated.
    -I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work for this company. It's that bad. So glad I'm not apart of this anymore.

-Listen to the employees who actually interact with the customers 90% of the time. They have great input.
    -Please stop with the suits that look like they were worn in the 1960s, I understand the type of people who shop here. But even they get tired of seeing the same style of clothing. Switch it up, you'll bring in more types of customers which equals more money.
    -if you're going to have the sales draw scheme, at least boost the percentage of commission. 6% isn't going to cut it for employees who work full time at non-busy stores. That is a joke. Nordstroms starts at 10% and 14% for dept. managers. (Hopefully MW changes it up)
    -As said before, stop with the buy 1, get a car free promos. It's draining to your employees.. And believe it or not.. Even the customers are dissatisfied at the way you decrease the value of the product with these promos. I'm sure they've figured it out by now. A suit that costs $1000 that's really $250 at best is not "getting them for free". Try again.

You can do better

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

80% off on suits and sports coats. Easy pay check if you have the right skills.

Cons

Constantly changing hours, incompetent store managers, no place to move up. Pay is crappy. The store managers there salary plus about 3% of all sales they make. The employees however get there hourly rate (which is low) and if you sell past a amount that is RIDICULOUSLY high, then you get a few bucks here and there. If you have ideas or mention a product is crap they will punish you and still make you sell it. You will not move up unless someone dies.

Your no longer the same store you use to be. Your quality of suits sucks. The store managers there salary plus about 3% of all sales they make. Start making quality suits, and stop being stingy on your pay rates. It's no wonder you are in the top 5 WORST EMPLOYERS to work for.

You will need to deal with a boatload of corporate BS to work a job that pays little more than a living wage.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice retail environment ~ a good place to get educated about men's fashion and all of the elements of professional tailoring. Excellent healthcare insurance if you can afford to pay for it on your pay scale.

Cons

Your work life will depend on how flexible and caring your manager is. Your manager is working for an annual bonus so the primary concern is sales vs. costs. You will be pushed to sell expensive and unneeded tailoring because that is the majority of the profit margin

Get a life and get off the back of your hourly employees. Your managers are the ones you should be dealing with on problems.

Horrible Company

Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The actual work is enjoyable, the selling and fitting of suits, etc.

Cons

It's almost impossible to break the sales draw and earn commission. Have fun perpetually making minimum wage. Store managers come and go quickly, so there is very little stability at any given location. Regional managers send down almost impossible to make quotas for the store and get upset when they are not made. Also, you will be forced to make phone calls to customers telling them about upcoming sales, something that oh by the way takes you off the sales floor and makes making commission even harder.

Increase hourly, or keep minimum wage bud add small amount of commission in addition to.

Asst mgr

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Fun to help gentlemen and give them style

Cons

Working on commission. Although it is easy to do. They are not fair about their UP system. If you're the sole provider commission is not this job for you

team work

Current Employee - Stock Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Stock Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

understanding retail with lack of direction.

Cons

lack of communication for direction.

Not a bad start

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have a great opportunity to quickly develop your skills (or fail). The company sure doesn't have a system to help you grow.

Cons

If I ran my store like corporate ran headquarters I would be fired. Good thing I have a pretty decent regional manager and team.

If you're not a strong leader and able to work without "back up" this isn't the place for you. If you like a challenge and developing a great team you'll have a good time most if the time. A lot of good changes are taking place.