JoS. A. Bank

JoS. A. Bank Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black

R. Neal Black

Pros:
  • "Excellent discount, great customer's, and good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Worked with a lot of great people at Store Level"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management "acts" like they care (I was a store manager) but it's all "lip service""
    in 30 reviews
  • "I was led to believe I would get 5% commission on top of the minimum wage"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

10+ years and an overall good experience

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsChange is coming. It seems like things are heading in the right direction. Pretty good benefits. Excellent networking opportunities.

ConsPay for the sales associates, not enough support at the corporate level, spoiled customers

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the staff at the store level and be open to hearing what's not working. You can't improve unless you are willing to listen and change things.

Great People. Not so great pay

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time for less than a year

Prosthe customers are really cool. the employees I work with are really cool. overall I really enjoy my experience there.

ConsI'm a full time employee with only part time benefits. no holiday pay, no pto.

Pitiful Store Level Management

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
Midland, TX

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent products and chance to make good commissions.

ConsLAZY Managers and Employees that spend most of their time playing on their cell phones.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean House. BAN Cell Phones !

Management Trainee in Planning/Allocations

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time

ProsMost co-workers are great to work with and people are usually willing to lend a hand to help out when you get swamped. The job is not difficult, just tedious at times.

ConsVery low pay for the job requirements, middle and upper management are not very open to new ideas. Turnover rate is incredibly high. Each department does things differently so there is no continuity between departments. There is no benefit to going from hourly to salary, once you hit 6 months management believes that you should work 50 to 60 hour weeks. The systems we work on are outdated by over a decade but management has no intention of upgrading them to current industry norms.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have the turnover rate you do because you don't pay your people what they're worth. They'd be willing to work an extra hour or two if you'd treat them a little better too. When you ask someone to stay 3 hours late because of a long meeting, you make that time up to them. You don't tell them to be in an hour or two early the next morning on top of that. Best advice to management, Men's Warehouse bought Jos. A. Bank, step aside and let those execs run the business properly.

Retail was hit hard in 2008, and Jos. A. Bank changed their strategy so much that they are hurting now.

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
Provo, UT

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI liked the people I worked with, and the clothes really are of excellent craftsmanship. This company is one of the few out there that actually value customer loyalty, by adhering to an excellent customer service policy.

ConsThe statistical procedures they use in calculating a sales quota are inaccurate, and inefficient. This in turn forces hard working employees to lose their jobs when the store manager works more than 40 hrs, but only 40 hrs are counted towards his/her $/hr average.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep store managers off of the $/hr average report. Sales reps should be competing with other sales reps and managers with other managers.

Excellent opportunity to learn and excel at many things

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Naples, FL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity for growth personally and as a manager. A great place to make numerous contacts in various career fields. Great benefits!

ConsCan sometimes feel like compensation does not match value of work put it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more structured way of implementing training for those who are newly hired as well as taking better care of quality employees with better compensation plans.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mixed Emotions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

ProsThe people you work with are close knit typically

ConsPay is terrible, unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that the sales team makes the company, and work with them.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Terrific

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time for more than a year

ProsGood opportunity for personal growth and work-life balance.

ConsPay isn't all that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more value on retaining quality employees.

It was decent but extremely time-consuming.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat pay and commission, on-the-spot training, tiding up the store while downtime.

ConsTook alot of my time out of my family, wasn't fully trained on selling suits.

Old school company with no respect for it's employees

Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a job when I could not find one elsewhere.

ConsThis company is a complete mess from the top all the way to the bottom. They are all about profits, yet when they reap them in quarter after quarter and year after year, they do not share it with it's employees. That is unless you are a VP who already makes millions. Regular employees have not received raises in 3 years.
There is no room for advancement. Do not take a job here unless you have no other options.

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!

JoS. A. Bank – Why Work for Us?

As one of the nation’s premier clothiers, our reputation for beautifully made, classically styled, tailored and casual clothing has earned us the trust and confidence of generations of customers. Our team members are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JoS. A. Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for JoS. A. Bank CEO R. Neal Black. All 285 reviews posted anonymously by JoS. A. Bank employees.