JoS. A. Bank

JoS. A. Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

JoS. A. Bank President, CEO, and Director R. Neal Black

R. Neal Black

Pros
  • Selling can be fun sometimes and you meet some great customers that make you feel important(in 11 reviews)

• Great product, great quality, coworkers are very hardworking and dedicated employees(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Motto - 'If those that report to you like you then you're not doing your job'(in 32 reviews)

• 70 to 80% of the Stores employees DO NOT MAKE COMMISSION week in and week out(in 20 reviews)

Great Time Great People

Department Manager (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsVery Accommodating manager, tries to be helpful to everyone. As long as you know what you're doing and don't slack off it's a great environment

ConsDid not experience any cons. Maybe the leaving early policy but that is not too big of a deal

Advice to Senior Managementthink about snow storm policy, that's all great time otherwise

Joseph A. Bank is a quality company.

Department Manager (Former Employee) Cypress, TX

ProsMy managers at Joseph A. Bank took the time to get to know me and listened to the goals and aspirations of each employee. Any person who had the drive, had an opportunity for growth in the company. I worked there for a short while with great success and already had offers to help open stores, was promoted quickly, and was a respected member of the team.

ConsI worked at a factory outlet store to start and the pay was not based off of commission. This was nice because it promoted as less cut throat work atmosphere but I could have made much more money had the pay been commission based.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the aspirations of the employees. Keep your eyes open for people who dedicated people and do what you can to keep them for the long haul in a business that tends to have a relatively high turnover rate.

wonderful place to work

Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosroom to advance
    great DMs
    close managers
    well trained

Conshours, but thats all retail jobs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work hard and you will be rewarded!

ProsIf you can sell you can make a good living! If you are just looking to punch a clock, this is not the place for you. There is a tremendous amount of upward mobility if you have the talent - this company continues to open stores every year. The customers are great and are extremely loyal to the brand. If you are motivated and love men's clothing then Jos. A. Bank is your company!

ConsFor employees below the Store Manager level, the pay can be a struggle in smaller stores because it is a commission driven environment.

Once was great

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsFormer CEO world class leader is gone

ConsHe is not here anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementGet him back

Great People. Not so great pay

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosthe customers are really cool. the employees I work with are really cool. overall I really enjoy my experience there.

ConsI'm a full time employee with only part time benefits. no holiday pay, no pto.

Terrific

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood opportunity for personal growth and work-life balance.

ConsPay isn't all that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more value on retaining quality employees.

Joseph A Bank is a gem.

Regional Vice President (Current Employee) Hampstead, MD

ProsCandidates are eager to work for a vibrant company with stores across the country and a catalog/internet division that can reach anyone with a phone or a computer.

ConsThe typical new hire takes about a year to realize that the chance of making a commission comes maybe twice a year if that. Unfortunately, it used to take them at little longer to figure this out, so we had hard- working hopefuls for at least two years before they became jaded.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing catalog/internet sales since we don't have to pay commissions on those transactions. It is brilliant to make stores take internet returns that cut into their bottom line. The more internet returns in the stores, the less chance of that store making any kind of bonus for the year. Keep up the good work!

I love this job! It might be because I just came from a horrible job but I love it here!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Darien, CT

ProsGreat co-workers, Customers are pleasant, management is straightforward (no sugar coating, if you mess up you will know), great pay if you know how to sell the product.

ConsA lot of hours (which I don't mind), Low pay (If you don't know how to sell suits)

Excellent company with great people to work with and for!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Leesburg, VA

ProsExcellent discount, great customer's, and good benefits!

ConsNeed to restructure pay scale for Managers and above, as well as, look at Commission status in this economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure pay scale and pay more for Executives per hour with the Draw vs. Commission.

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!